Start by marking “Me and You” as Want to Read:
Me and You

Me and You

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  212 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Two artistic friends, paintbrushes in hand ...
?I wish I were just like you,? says the rabbit to the pig.
?I wish I were just like you,? says the pig to the rabbit.
As the friends use paintbrushes and a few props to adjust tails, ears and noses, something soon becomes clear: they liked each other better before. ?I am me and you are you ... that's why we love each other, me
Published August 1st 2009 by Kids Can Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Me and You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me and You

The Library Lady
Sep 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The art is charming and expressive. The text edges on the saccharine and misses--just. One step the other way and it would have been perfect for the sort of folks that think "Barney" is good children's TV!
Jessica
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a book about a bunny who wants to be like his friend pig, and the pig wanting to be like the bunny. They each have things they like about each other but then realize it is better when they are themselves. I think this is a great lesson for young children because many times kids compare themselves to each other and want to be like someone else, but it is better to be their authentic selves. I think the art medium is watercolors.
Thao
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this adorable children's book! Perfect for grade school children who may have a difficult time accepting the fact that they can be different from their peers. In the end, the book teaches children to be happy and content with who they are as individuals because everyone is unique and has something to offer.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Aug 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picturebook, fiction
I was initially attracted by the lively illustrations that seem to be of watercolour and charcoal on mostly white backgrounds that seemed to convey a lot of joyful emotion. However, I was disappointed by the story which repeated almost every phrase twice without providing illustrations that were thought provoking enough to continue the interest in the monotonous banter between the pig and the rabbit. The story felt too simple to sustain interest and a little confusing on a child's level, present ...more
carissa
Recommended Ages: toddlers - pre-K

Two artistic friends, paintbrushes in hand ... "I wish I were just like you," says the rabbit to the pig. "I wish I were just like you," says the pig to the rabbit. As the friends use paintbrushes and a few props to adjust tails, ears and noses, something soon becomes clear: they liked each other better before. "I am me and you are you ... that's why we love each other, me and you!" This gentle celebration of friendship and individuality by award-winning writer
Sadie Tucker
Pig and rabbit admire each other’s great qualities and wish that they could take the other’s place. When they begin to dress up as each other they realise that being themselves is the best of all.

This is a straightforward, but charming story best suited for toddlers and young preschoolers. The watercolour-like illustrations are expressive, yet simple. In order to help hold a little one’s interest and engagement this book is best read with plenty of commentary and interaction, as the plot is a li
Gwen the Librarian
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I wish there was a half a star rating here; I'm waffling between 3 and 4. This is a darling story about two friends who wish they were like each other. Pig paints himself white and puts socks on his ears so he will look like Rabbit. Rabbit paints herself pink and covers her ears so they are short and stubby, like Pig's. In the end they decide they like it better when each is their own normal self. Pretty simple, but just beyond sweet. Let's give it a 4!
Edward Creter
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute tale of a bunny and a pig who play country mouse/city mouse by becoming each other, hoping to find a place in their friendship, only to find as we all do and should that the qualities we see in others are qualities we already have. And y'know? It's okay to accept who we are as well as who the other person is.
Emily Pinnick
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent! It takes something that we do all the time and makes it into a cute story. Everyone always wishes that they were someone else or that they had something that someone else had, and this book does a great job of showing what can happen if you wish you were something else. In the end, the two friends decide to be exactly who they are. Very cute!
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
A pig and and bunny, best friends, wish they were just like the other. They spend the story wishing for each others ears, tails, and charming ways. They discover that they like each other very much and that "I am me and you are you. That's why we love each other, me and you!"

Recommended for preschool and perhaps kindergarten. A sweet story about good friends.
Nicole
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this book. I think this book should be a part of any child's library. The story is sweet and simple with a beautiful message - loving others for their differences, but also loving yourself for what makes you personally unique. It's about appreciating the beauty in yourself and others, and celebrating that beauty.
Kate
Feb 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Cute, simple text about young friendship and the joy of just being "you." The friends try to look more like each other (with a series of props) and come to realize how much they appreciate their friend just the way they are. Self-acceptance from an external perspective. Appropriate for toddlers to preschool; a limited word/picture ratio.
Sandybear76
Two friends are painting and decide they want to be just like the other. So the pig gets long ears - long socks- and the bunny has a curly tail - They add more and more to change themselves so they look like the other. Funny, cute, adorable. I recommended this book to the k-2 teachers at school.
Kristen
Sep 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Cute! A very simple story about friends who are different, but want to be like each other, and realize they like the other just the way they are. Especially nice for that early elementary set of girls who want to be "twins".
Jess Brown
Bunny and Pig each want to look like the other--as they start to alter their appearances, they discover that they like the way each other looked all along! Cute book that would show little ones that they are best as their own, unique, individual selves. Best for toddlers and preschoolers.
Kayla
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, picture-book
I love this series. It is a picture book about two friends who decide they just want to be themselves. They decide its not a good idea to try to be someone else and to only be YOU! Cute book that will be in my classroom!
Allison
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Bunny wishes for a button nose and curly tale like pig
Pig wishes for floppy ears and a cotton candy tale like bunny

They dress up as each other and discover how silly it looks to pretend to be someone else.

Love these illustrations.
Paul  Hankins
A pig and rabbit wonder would it would be like to be the other friend. The illustrations are priceless as toes get taller, ears get longer, and tails get a little more curly.

A celebration of differences as much as a celebration of being one's self!
babyhippoface
Sep 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Sweet book about two friends who each want to be like the other one, but eventually realize that changing wouldn't be good, because they like each other just the way they are. Good for sharing one-on-one with the littlest readers.
Kim
Bunny and pig are best friends, but the pig wants to be like rabbit and rabbit wants to be like pig. In the end they are both happy with who they are.
Bethany
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very sweet book about a bunny who wants to be a pig and a pig who wants to be a bunny. A lighthearted take on the topic of just being yourself.
Megan
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cute tale of a bunny and a pig who each wish they were like the other. Through the illustrations, they gradually start to resemble each other, and then realize how silly they look.
Catherine Austen
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable characters, gorgeous pictures, simple sweet text. Very cute book for the very young.
Michelle Nero
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable illustrations that defines what true friendship is all about: savoring what we love about our friends!
Beth
Mar 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A pig and a rabbit like traits of each other. Trying to be something that they are not makes both of them look funny. The artwork is playful.
Marguarite Markley
A good story about how its okay to be different from others.
Nancy Julmice
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Me and You is a great book to read to children, especially when they want to be just like their best friend.
Marie
Sep 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
A simple, charming tale of appreciating ourselves and each other for who we each are. The illustrations of the two friends are delightful.
Susan
Aug 22, 2013 added it
Shelves: jacob-loves
Sweet and gentle art for a kind and affirming story. My little one liked the two friends talking to each other.
Danielle
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
Not the cutest story I've read, but still midly enjoyable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • In the Rain with Baby Duck
  • Little Oink
  • The Terrible Plop
  • Piggy Pie Po
  • Don't Squish the Sasquatch!
  • I'm Not Santa!
  • Ten Tiny Babies
Geneviève Côté is an award-winning Canadian illustrator living in Montreal, mainly known for her work on children's books.

She was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and received a bachelor's degree in graphic design from Concordia University in 1987. Côté has contributed illustrations to various publications including The New York Times, The Boston Globe, Utne Reader and The Wall Street Journal; he