Start by marking “The Sword Bearer (Archives Of Anthropos)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Sword Bearer

John White

The Sword Bearer (Archives of Anthropos #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  705 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
It was John's birthday. He would be thirteen. And what's more, it was on this day that his grandmother would tell him the mystery of his locket . . . And of his parents.But it was not to be. Before he could find out, he was magically transported to the land of Anthropos where he was startled to be hailed as the Sword Bearer, the slayer of the Goblin Prince.Here, in the ima ...more
Published (first published June 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword Bearer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword Bearer

Molly
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking back, I know this series wasn't very good. In fact, it was probably awful. But as a kid, I couldn't tell - or didn't care - that it was a poor Lewis/Tolkien/everyone else hack. I LOVED this series.
Aelvana
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Wilson was happy on his way home from school on the day of his 13th birthday, the day his grandmother has promised to tell him about his parents. But his wonderful day collapses when he trips over the body of his grandmother as he enters their house. She's dead, and now he'll never know. He's too much in shock to feel much grief just yet. Then a worse piece of news comes the next morning: Nicholas Slapfoot, the town's frightening scrap man, a man who almost killed John on his last birthday, ...more
Nathan Forrester
Great little series of book for kids. I look forward to reading them to my kids. Very clean with a good messages and a fun story.
Christine O'malley
I have read this series many times. There are hidden lessons that can be related to ordinary life. There are similarities with C.S.Lewis' Narnia series, with children the key characters and God as a real-world participant in the adventures. Here there are answers to questions about how to explain the difference between magicians and seers, and between magic and miracles.

The characters have flaws that have potential to ruin them emotionally, and the way that they are able to overcome these to bec
Lydia
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John has a very eventful 13th birthday. For years his Grandma has promised to tell him the story of his parents on this day; John knows his mother is dead, but his father is more a mystery. However, when the big day arrives things go rather horrible, and John still doesn't find out about his family. Before his life can go really terribly (or be ended), John finds a strange door that leads him to new adventures, a battle of good and evil that takes place around and in him and a marvelous differen ...more
Rowan
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this book impossible to read without being reminded in my inner sense by my own nostaglic feelings for Narnia which I loved so so much.
This is the story John Wilson who after a traumatic event and in life threatening circumstances finds himself in another world inhabited by Matmon, dwarf like creatures and the purpose of fulfilling a prohency made about him centuries ago.
My main point of comparision to the Chronicles of Narnia would for the audience it is written. This is very much
King Haddock
I really enjoyed this first book in the Archives of Anthropos. However, the last five I did not much care for. While I see how John White wanted to incorporate Biblical principles and stories into his fantasy novels, it is a bit over-done, as is his use of fantasy creatures. Not so in the first book, though. This one actually is a lot of fun to read.
Jemma
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jemma by: Kathy
This is a review of the entire series
A great series of books, a lot like Narnia, children from our world go into another and meet Jesus/Aslan/Gaal. The characters were interesting and so was the plot. The last book was my favorite.
Random note: I remember imagining the citizens of this land as insects when I was younger.
Dianna
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Charmaine Stubblefield
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed reading this! I picked up and read "The Iron Scepter" (number 4 in this series I think?) and decided to give the rest of the books a try. John White spins an encouraging tale that smacks of C. S. Lewis's Narnia Chronicles quite a bit, but remains different enough to be entertaining and fun to read. We can all be inspired by John and his newly found friends. :0)
Bradley
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fantasy set of books for pre-teens and teens. Comparable to the Narnia series. The only one I didn't like as well was the last one. All are action packed as the kids in the story become transformed; their flaws changed through the tough circumstances they go through.
  • The Magic Bicycle (Spirit Flyer, #1)
  • Bringer of Storms (Binding of the Blade #2)
  • The Lion Vrie (The White Lion Chronicles #2)
  • Tales of the Resistance (Tales of the Kingdom, #2)
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest, #1)
  • Flight Of The Eagles (Seven Sleepers, #1)
  • A Knight of the White Cross
  • 絶対平和大作戦 1 (Zettai Heiwa Daisakusen, #1)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)
  • The Sword and the Flame (The Dragon King, #3)
  • Shanghaied to China

John White was an Evangelical Christian author, an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Manitoba and a pastor of Church of the Way.
More about John White...