Start by marking “The Halfling's Gem (The Icewind Dale Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Halfling's Gem (The Icewind Dale Trilogy, #3)

The Halfling's Gem

(The Legend of Drizzt #6)

Join Drizzt Do'Urden, the world's most famous drow elf, on his adventures in the Forgotten Realms!

Regis has fallen into the hands of the assassin Artmis Entreri, who is taking him to Calimport to deliver him into the clutches of the vile Pasha Pook. But Drizzt and Wulfgar are close on their heels, determined to save Regis from his own folly as much as from his powerful
Published June 23rd 2009 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Halfling's Gem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Halfling's Gem

Start your review of The Halfling's Gem (The Icewind Dale Trilogy, #3)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I can't even begin to explain how much I love these books and characters

My wonderful Wulfgar

The sharp tounged and awesome Bruenor Battleaxe

The lovely and bad to the bone Cattie-Brie

I didn't add Regis but I love him too.

These friends do everything for each other, even die if they have to and I never want to see that day come

The ending was so sweet. Wulfgar and Cattie-Brie. Bruenor ruling over his home again. And we shall see with Drittz, he's never sits long and he has his own thoughts and
Markus
A 300-page chase with some solid parts and a lot of not so solid parts.

Drizzt's journey continues, and the original trilogy, the Icewind Dale trilogy, ends. This one was definitely worth reading for its influential position in fantasy and published D&D literature, but it was definitely very weak overall, and reads like exactly what it is: a fantasy fan's first attempt at publishing some adventures himself.

The contrast is huge to the Dark Elf trilogy, written later but taking place earlier in
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
I had forgotten how many truly epic moments occur in this book and, as I was re-reading it, I completely understood why younger me was so taken by this series.

Terry Brooks, Tolkien, R.A. Salvatore, Tad Williams, Weis & Hickman, Raymond Feist...these authors were the cornerstone of my reading as a kid and are responsible for why I am so in love with the fantasy genre to this day.

The Halfling's Gem is, without a doubt, my favorite out of the Icewind trilogy. It's rapid-fire awesomeness from
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
I'll write a full review when I have the time, but for now, here's...

DAVE'S FINAL JUDGMENT -

THE DEFENSE
- Salvatore once again proves that he's one of the best at describing action sequences
- Lightning quick pace and non-stop action ensures Salvatore has many opportunities to prove the above claim
- While Drizzt may be the star of the show, Bruenor, Wulfgar, Regis, and especially Cattie-Brie are all given their moments to shine
- Features more originality than the previous books of The
Dani
Oct 20, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Probably the worst one in the series so far. I actually didn't enjoy this one in the least.

Here's what this book reminded me of: I work a job where I scan a document into the computer as a picture then convert that picture into text using a "smart read" program. This program often messes up: interchanging I's, 1's and l's. It also mistakes O's and 0's and changes other things like t's to i's and ect. It even goes so far as to turn D's into I) or d's into cl. My job is to read through and correct
Brad
Nov 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fantasy
For the first time in six books, I can see why people like R.A. Salvatore's Dark Elf series. I still don't like them myself, but The Halfling's Gem isn't completely without merit.

I see that the series' greatest appeal must come from the obligatory and breathless battle sequences -- and those can be kind of entertaining.

The Halfling's Gem contains the best of the series so far (taken in chronological order). From Rogues Circle to the Sewers of Calimport to Tarterus to victory, Salvatore rolls an
daisy
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
More of a 2.5-2.75* I think, but let's just round it up to 3.
Aja: The Narcoleptic Ninja
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series is such a roller coaster for me. I absolutely loved the last book and then this one just kind of went downhill again. Most of the book was an extended trip going from point a to point b without any real conflict. The only source of tension was whether they’d catch Artemis in time, and even then, the only reason they DID manage to come out on top, was because the primary villain, Pasha Pook, an evil criminal mastermind leading an entire guild of thieves, is surprisingly dumb…

And
Luke Scull
The ruthless assassin Artemis Entreri has kidnapped the halfling Regis and is taking him to Calimport to deliver him to his erstwhile master, Pasha Pook - kingpin of Calimshan's criminal underworld. Fortunately for Regis, his friends Drizzt the drow elf and Wulfgar the barbarian are hot on their heels. Meanwhile, another friend thought lost struggles to survive a perilous situation. It is a case of out of frying pan and into the fire for the Companions of the Hall as they make their way to ...more
Allen M Werner
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again the intrepid, unusual friends of R.A. Salvatore's imagination ride out on another exciting adventure, leaving the familiar world of Icewind Dale behind for the Sword Coast, from Waterdeep to Baulder's Gate, to Calimport to save the lovable but thieving halfling, Regis. Regis was taken away by the assassin Artemis Entereri in the last book for a debt owed to a powerful guildmaster, Pasha Pook.
There are host of battles, as always, sea battles, spider creatures, wererats, demodand's from
Chelsea
This, the third in the Icewind Dale trilogy, is better than the previous two entries, mostly for the change in scenery. Characters, major and minor, are still characterized with a heavy handedness to be found in bad fanfic, characters act outside their "good alignments," and this book manages to bring a little racial fun into play with the profoundly idiotic character Salib whatever his name is. Also, I am sick of the way Bruenor talks! I had to reread sentences a few times to figure out what ...more
Earl Grey Tea
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I think I've reached the end of my adventure in D&D literature (outside of the instruction manuals). As some of my D&D buddies would describe R.A. Salvatore's work, it's just fan fiction, nothing great, but nothing particularly terrible either.

After getting through six of these books, I would have to say my vocabulary concerning the Forgotten Realms has increased somewhat and I've been able to follow some of our adventures a little bit better since I have some more familiarity with the
Wanda
I will never be a super-fan of this series, but I can still certainly appreciate its appeal. I will try very hard not to complain about character names—many of them, I find completely ridiculous and sometimes even distracting. I mean, who wants an imaginary Halfling in their head who looks like Regis Philbin with furry feet?

There’s plenty of good action in this installment, several lost-and-found characters, plus incredible imaginary beasts. Positive from my point of view is Cattie-Brie getting
Zachlopez
Apr 30, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
now, I've a weak spot in my heart for fantasy novels. I know that they don't have to be masterful works of modern literature. I know what they do and totally digg it.

This book ( and the entire drizzt series/ stories) is one of the worst books I've read since "bridge to teribithia 3". The characters are horribly cliched...even in a cliched world. They have almost no flaws save for their brooding, whining 'woe as me' thought process. Reading ( later skipping) excerpts of a protagonists diary that
DemetraP
I don't like Regis. He's a thief and lazy.
Ralph Pulner
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great adventure. A great balance of humor and action. I think this is the best of the trilogy.

-There is a shift, tonally, in RA Salvatore's writing style that I really enjoyed. Better sentence structure, more enhanced and descriptive battle scenes, but not hard to follow.

-Getting to see the realms was a pleasure. Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate and Calimsham!

-This book was number 12 on the New York Times bestseller list at it's release. I imagine that sealed the deal for RA's writing career and
Bradley Woodall
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book. Can't get enough of these gems
Tony
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 unstoppable, invincible characters pursue an assassin over thousands of miles for their halfling thief friend in this fantasy. Filled with tons of narrow escapes and convenient encounters.

The Companions of the Hall: Drizzt, the dark elf; Wulfgar, the Barbarian, Bruenor, the Dwarf; and Cattie-Brie, the human adopted daughter of Bruenor, aren't supposedly invincible, but upon reading the book it's quite apparent that they are. It's a fantasy book with superheroes and never fear for their deaths
Alex
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What stands out most in this final part of the Icewind Dale trilogy, is the lengths and strengths the main "good" characters go in order to save or avenge their love ones. A mother lifting a wagon to save her baby would not be out a place in the book.

The action scenes and the ending tension are still top notch. Grabbing the reader and not letting go. Because the book is one action scene after another, is hard to put it down once you start reading.

From sea to desert to urban environment to Hell
Gregory
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the conclusion of the Icewind Dale trilogy and it was a real questing book. Lots of intermediary quests to reach the ultimate quest - saving Regis. The one part of this that I found confusing was the sort of quick conclusion of taking back Bruenor's ancestral home. This final battle was put into an epilogue. There was more story here that I wish were played out but I guess there was a limit by either the publisher or the author on how much tale to tell. All in all, a very fine trilogy.
Greg Strandberg
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy trilogy lovers
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
I first read this in the summer before 8th grade. I sat outside on my mom's chair in the shade under the trees and read almost all of it in one day. I finished off the rest of it the next day and got into a good habit of completing Salvatore books quickly.

This is one of my favorite fantasy series and I like to read it again every few years. Check it out!
AAmell
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A++

I legit did not want to finish this book by page 350. I didn't want it to end. I'm happy that I did finish, but also sad that that amazing adventure is over...

I could hardly put this book down. Once again, Salvatore was able to cram 600 pages worth of adventure into 350 pages, and it never felt rushed or forced. The action was back to back... to back! I was on edge until the last page, when I finally was able to breathe easy. Sort of... You know Salvatore, always setting up for the next
Daryl
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a fine continuation of the tale. I still like the characters a lot and find their internal lives and emotions more compelling than much of what actually happens in the stories (you can read about the drow wielding his scimitars only so many times without finding it a little tiresome). These are pleasant, quick reads, and I'll likely loop back to the first in the whole series (I started with numbers 4 - 6, which were the first Salvatore wrote).
Karen
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So now I have read the first 6 books of the Legend of Drizzt. The 4 stars reflects my level of enjoyment. Although I don't think this series is nearly as good as The Liaden Universe by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller or the Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson, I have found that I have trouble putting the books down. They are great for when I need a light quick read.
Penny Kearney
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of adventure after adventure and wild, daring escapades. Loved it. <3
Claudette Gabbs
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't a bad book. It was a bit slow for a bit. It got a lot more exciting as I continued to read. The last 20 chapters or more were the most exciting. A good ending to this story.
MangoLoverReads
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
4.25/5 — Another great story and really good novel in this series by Salvatore. Listened on audiobook. Really enjoy the narrator Victor Bevine.
Michael
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See review on The Crystal Shard - Icewind Dale 1, Drizzt 6.

This one is near and dear to me because it introduces Artemis Entreri, the human assassin counterpart to Drizzt himself. Just Google Artemis, he's so good. One of the best in the series.
David
This trilogy, which concludes here, is truly not as good as the prequel trilogy, Dark Elf, but it still has things to offer. Here, Drizzt is still the central character, but he settles nicely at the same time into an ensemble. It is an epic fantasy ensemble that rivals that of Dragonlance Chronicles with it's iconic and diverse group and amazingly epic tale of deep friendship. While Drizzt is an interesting character because he subverts normal fantasy hero roles, the others are solid, but are ...more
Shan
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This third installment was even better than the last one, but still not amazing. I think I finally figured out the elements that drive me insane and prevent me from truly enjoying the story:

- The metaphors need to die in the fire of thousand angry suns. I kept reading about lavender lights, round orbs and glimmering reflections and I wanted to shoot myself. I understand it's the traditional high-fantasy style of writing but I guess I've been spoiled to enjoy such things.

- The characters are very
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Halfling's Gem 1 5 Mar 11, 2012 02:35PM

• Waterdeep (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #3)
  • Elminster: The Making of a Mage (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #1)
  • The Wyvern's Spur (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #2)
  • Elminster in Myth Drannor (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #2)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Tantras (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #2)
  • The Temptation of Elminster (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #3)
  • Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4)
  • Pool of Radiance (Forgotten Realms: Pools, #1)
  • Elfsong (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #8; Songs & Swords, #2)
  • Shadowdale (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #1)
  • Song Of The Saurials (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #3)
  • Spellfire (Shandril's Saga #1)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2)
  • Test of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #3)
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more

The Legend of Drizzt (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1)
  • Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
  • The Legacy (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #7)
  • Starless Night (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #8)
  • Siege of Darkness (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #9)
  • Passage to Dawn (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #4; Legend of Drizzt, #10)
  • The Silent Blade (Forgotten Realms: Paths of Darkness, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #11)
“Luck?" Drizzt replied. "Perhaps. But more often, I dare to say, luck is simply the advantage a true warrior gains in excuting the correct course of action.” 101 likes
“He looked down at the mask hanging around his neck. So simple a lie, and he could walk freely throughout the world.
But would he then be trapped within the web of his own deception? What freedom could he find in denying the truth about himself?”
9 likes