Start by marking “Streams of Silver (The Icewind Dale Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Streams of Silver (The Icewind Dale Trilogy, #2)

Streams of Silver

(The Legend of Drizzt #5)

The epic tale of everyone's favorite dark elf, Drizzt Do'Urden, reaches new heights!

Drizzt Do'Urden struggles with his own inner voices, voices that call him back to the pitiless depths of the Underdark. But louder still are the voices of his newfound friends, and the dream that drives Bruenor Battlehammer on to reclaim Mithral Hall. Time and again they're told to turn
Published June 23rd 2009 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 1989)

Start your review of Streams of Silver (The Icewind Dale Trilogy, #2)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
All of Drizzt books are probably going to be 5 stars, maybe a 4 star. Just sayin'

My babies

"Come on," Regis offered. "Sit with Drizzt and me. No one will bother a tough old dwarf, but a tiny halfling and a skinny elf might look like good sporty the brutes in here. We need your size and strength to deter such unwanted attention."

Wulfgar's chin firmed up at the compliment and he strode boldly toward the table. Regis shot Drizzt a knowing wink and turned to follow.

"Many lessons you will learn on
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
The Streams of Silver are just one of many treasures to be found in this fantastic adventure!

For over a century, Bruenor Battlehammer has been haunted by his past. In his nightmares, he still feels the horrors from the day he and his dwarven clan were chased out of their home at Mithral Hall. But when he and his friends defeated the evil wizard Akar Kessell and saved the people of Icewind Dale, Bruenor realized he now has a fighting unit strong enough to help him reclaim his lost home. Joined by
Choko
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4 ***

"...“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”..."
Markus
Aug 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Popcorn fantasy is popcorn fantasy. Sometimes it's resoundingly enjoyable, sometimes it's not.

In this second book of the Icewind Dale trilogy, Drizzt, Bruenor, Regis and Wulfgar run off on a quest to find Bruenor's ancestral homeland of Mithral Hall. They spend some time doing very little in a city, before spending some time doing very little in a forest. Meanwhile, Catti-Brie is kidnapped by an assassin, and spends some time doing nothing with him.

I've taken a liking to R.A. Salvatore, and I
Brad
Aug 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: most-hated, fantasy
Of the five Drizzt Do'Urden books I have read so far (I am taking them in order of timeline) Streams of Silver: The Legend of Drizzt Book V is by far the worst. Granted, none of them have been any better than questionable brain candy, but Streams of Silver goes beyond them all for sheer crapness.

It's not at all difficult to pinpoint Salvatore's biggest problem: his elementary views of good and evil. I have pointed out in previous reviews of his work that the way he structures good and evil is
Wanda
Rating: 2.5 stars

Reading this series is more fun that doing housework. So that’s what I’ve been doing—reading this book, and not doing housework (which actually needs to be done quite badly at the moment).

Now, I never played Dungeons & Dragons, so I don’t really understand how these Forgotten Realms books fit into that whole scene, but I did obsessively read and re-read Tolkien as a teen (and I still re-read him on occasion, when I need comfort). So it’s pretty difficult for me to overlook
Rachael
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See my review for The Crystal Shard, as I have about the exact same things to say here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

A few differences--

-Monsters are more detailed this time. I could tell the difference between different types of bad guys. Not the case in The Crystal Shard.

-To my point made in my review of The Crystal Shard about women playing a crappy role. Here we see Cat develop some as a character. She gets involved in the adventure as more than just a love interest (although she
Ursula

"The assassin's strength surprised her as he easily lifted her to a chair. He was a small man, slender as an elf and barely as tall as she, but every muscle on his compact frame was toned to its finest fighting edge. His very presence exuded an aura of strength and an unshakable confidence. This, too, unnerved Cattie-brie, because it wasn't the brash cockiness of an exuberant youngster, but the cool air of superiority of one who has seen a thousand fights and had never been bested" (20).

My
daisy
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
RTC maybe.
Luke Scull
Bruenor the dwarf and his companions Wulfgar the barbarian, Regis the halfling and Drizzt the renegade dark elf set forth from Icewind Dale on the most ambitious of quests: to rediscover the lost dwarven stronghold of Mithral Hall, birthplace of Bruenor and his clan. The road will be long and full of peril, for the Savage Frontier is a harsh place - and hot on their trail is the assassin Artemis Entreri, one of the most infamous killers in the Realms.

The sequel to 1988's The Crystal Shard is a
Dani
Oct 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Love the way this one ended. Makes me want to immediately read the 3rd book. While I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first book I am still pretty hype to be revisiting these childhood favorites.
Paul Darcy
Jan 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
R. A. Salvatore. Huge name in the fantasy business of writing, and I think I know why.

This book, his second in the Icewind Dale Trilogy, features Drizzt (his most popular character creation I believe), a drow elf. These books are set in the popular "Forgotten Realms" fantasy world.

If you are into, or have ever played, Dungeons and Dragons, the backdrop of this novel will be as familiar to you as your own campaign. And even if you make the sign of the devil at anything related to D & D, you
Kira
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My love for this series makes it impossible for me to review it. I can't write anything worthy of expressing my feelings for Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, or the Wheel of Time series, and this book is solidly among them.

Simply fantasy canon.
Cal
Jul 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Blatant rip-off of Moria down to a character falling down a crevice to his "death" on the back of a gigantic burning beast. Extremely lame and unoriginal plotline.
Justine
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love stories about travelling on the road. Lucky for me this story was exactly that!
Zaeris
Finally, Drizzt goes on a roaming adventure.

I took a break from this series to give some other books a try, and so I could return with a greater appreciation for these Legend of Drizzt books. Sometimes too much of the same thing for awhile can diminish the enjoyment. I wasn't too thrilled with hearing more about Icewind Dale after the past book or so either. The squabbling of the Ten Towns just wasn't that interesting to me after awhile. Felt like I was reading more of the same.

Quickly enough
AAmell
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A++

This book was absolute non-stop action from page 1. It's 377 pages but feels like 100 with how fast it reads. You'll be hard pressed to put this thing down at any point.
Salvatore is a genius. Period. No wonder the Drizzt series is considered the pinnacle of Fantast story telling. I really want to read the LOTR books now to see how they stack up to Salvatore (but that's a discussion for another day).

Salvatore is incredible at setting up those kinds of situations that give you goosebumps- you
Bradley Woodall
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made it seemed like the author got tired of hearing complaints about slow starts and just said fuck it lets go to 11/10. The story starts at a jog and ends in a pure Sprint to the finish. It had me on the edge of my seat and the ended was one didn't see coming. Only issue I have is this felt like it would have benefitted from being a bigger book. There was just so much ground covered so fast. But it still pulls it all together brilliantly as is expected from this amazing author
Sara
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Streams of Silver Drizzt, Wulfgar, Bruenor and Regis head off in search of Bruenor's homeland, Mithril Hall, all the while being chased by a wizard hunting Drizzt who teams up with an assassin hunting Regis. This chase aside, their journey to the Halls themselves are filled with perils and trials that test their strength and endurance.

I enjoyed this book despite its shortcomings. There is plenty of action, even if you have to greatly suspend your disbelief--these characters are superheroes
A B
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read, but not quite as good as the previous volume. While I enjoyed following the four friends' journey into other areas of the Forgotten Realms, I did miss the Icewind Dale setting. The first book of this trilogy was sort of an ensemble tale. This one is definitely Bruenor's tale which, for the most part, is quite interesting. I like the twist that dwarves live for so long that they often need to resort to magic to help refresh long ago memories and with a character as loveable as Bruenor, ...more
James
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jacob Moreno
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Streams Of Silver was yet another fantastic read in the Legend Of Drizzt series. The Author, R. A. Salvatore, has done a wonderful job throughout the series of keeping the reader interested and always wanting for more. In this book, however, It was more superbly done than all of the others before it. I am already in the middle of the next book The Halfling's Gem.
As always we have our favorite dark elven stoic Drizzt Do'Urden and friends, but this time they are put on an astounding quest. The
Benjamin Eskola
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Distinct improvement over the first in the trilogy. It's more of a typical quest format than The Crystal Shard was, and so it helps that it doesn't get bogged down in trivial politics. And, while the background to the quest itself is strongly reminiscent of Tolkien (a dwarf whose clan was driven from their home by evil beings, in some sort of cross between Erebor and Moria), the quest itself takes a sufficiently different course to be enjoyable. It no longer feels quite so much like the ...more
Ralph Pulner
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, very enjoyable.

-The battle through the Trollmoors is epic stuff. It's the one thing that stood out in memory of past readthroughs.

-The cast of introduced characters will be used heavily throughout the series. Harpell's are a delight and the lady Alustriel and her sisters are also revisited.

-I thought Artemis Entreri is bland and wooden, as far as deadly assassins go. He talks to himself in villain speak and is kind of a tool. I assume his character will also flesh out in future books.

Greg Strandberg
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
This is the kind of fantasy I love! You've got great characters in a well-crafted world, some humor in your dialogue and quite a few good fights.

I like that this book is a bit of a road journey and you get to see more of the Forgotten Realms. I also like how the book ended with some great dragon battling going on in deep dwarven caverns.

And hey, how can you not like that cover?

Overall, a great book I've read 2 to 3 times and will read again. If you haven't read R.A. Salvatore yet then I have to
Gregory
This was a real page turner following Bruenor Battlehammer's quest to seek his ancestral home of Mithral Hall. A creepy, skilled assassin breaks into the story and becomes a menacing character with blade skills that rival those of Drizzt. It's definately a "bridge" novel between books 4 and 6 as the story has only a minor conclusion with much to be resolved. The characters are terrific and the adventures are engaging. The fight through the Trolls as described in the book would make some great ...more
Branwen Sedai *of the Brown Ajah*
In this insatllment of the Icewind Dale trilogy; Drizzt, Bruenor, Wulfgar, and Regis make an epic journey to the Bruenor's homeland, Mithril Hall.

This was another great story in this series, and I keep finding myself drawn into the action and the characters lives as the story progressed forward. I love quest stories, and this one is no exception: roads fraught with danger, the comraderie between companians, life on the open road-what's not to love?
Minna
Jun 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this series with The Dark Elf Trilogy, which was pretty good, but this book proved to be a difficult read for me. I found it slow moving and frequently uninteresting. I really enjoy the characters, but I really feel like the story just plodded along. Things picked up for an adventurous ending, which has me almost excited about reading the last book in this trilogy. I hope that it is more in line with the kind of adventure I found in the first series I read.

• Waterdeep (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #3)
  • Elminster: The Making of a Mage (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #1)
  • Pool of Radiance (Forgotten Realms: Pools, #1)
  • Shadowdale (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #1)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • Daughter of the Drow (Starlight & Shadows #1)
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Tantras (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #2)
  • Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4)
  • Spellfire (Shandril's Saga #1)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • Elfsong (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #8; Songs & Swords, #2)
  • Azure Bonds (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #1)
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
  • Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1)
  • Elminster in Myth Drannor (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #2)
  • Test of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #3)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more

The Legend of Drizzt (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1)
  • Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)
  • The Legacy (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #7)
  • Starless Night (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #8)
  • Siege of Darkness (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #9)
  • Passage to Dawn (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #4; Legend of Drizzt, #10)
  • The Silent Blade (Forgotten Realms: Paths of Darkness, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #11)
“No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith.” 658 likes
“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?” 212 likes