Start by marking “Tracato (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #3)” as Want to Read:
Tracato (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #3)

Tracato (A Trial of Blood & Steel #3)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  556 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
In this third title in Joel Shepherd's gripping quartet, we are reunited with the fearless heroine Sasha, Errollyn and the other familiar characters from SASHA and PETRODOR. The net is really closing in now, with the whole of Rhodia at war and the serrin - the beautiful and dangerous people from beyond the Bacosh - fighting for survival. The revolutionary politics of Traca ...more
Published January 21st 2009 by Orbit (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Tracato, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tracato

Naomi
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The visual pictures Shepherd painted were amazing, clearly bringing to life the pain & agony of warfare and complicated factions and divisions of politics. Definitely one of the best fantasy novels I have read.
Stefan
Jul 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tracato is the third installment in Joel Shepherd’s excellent A Trial of Blood and Steel fantasy quartet, and not only is it the best book in the series so far, it’s also one of the best new fantasy novels I’ve read all year.

The continent of Rhodia, shared by a fractured human civilization and the non-human serrin, finally begins to inch towards full-scale war. The northern Verenthane countries, with their conflicted and somewhat reluctant goeren-yai allies, are marching south to reclaim the Saa
Clay Kallam
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Joel Shepherd aims high in A Trial of Blood and Steel, and “Tracato” (Pyr, $16, 354 pages) is a grim third installment in a fantasy quartet that may confound the expectations of the genre. After all, “Tracato” offers little in the way of redemption or triumph as it chronicled the story of a pre-industrial world where almost-human serrin and human beings try to co-exist.

Along the way, the humans battle over religion, power, money and sex, but when they do get together, they manage to build a seri
Peter
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Containing lots of action, character growth and difficult questions for the main characters, this novel is an entertaining read. Giving the motivations of the various groups in the story a better foundation helped a lot in making the story believable and the increasing tensions between the main characters loyalties keep one wishing for more. The world building in this novel is interesting as we get to learn more about the Serrinim, the Lenays and the Larosans and their allies although many thing ...more
John
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Sasha finds herself in the middle of a French Revolution style revolution, barely escapes with her life (other major characters do not) and joins her Lenayin homeland's army to battle the disciplined armies called the Steel. A little too much torture for my taste, and even talkier about politics and religion than previous volumes---but skip those parts and it's a pretty a well told tale. The climactic fray and closing scenes are particularly fine, good enough to earn this a fourth star and make ...more
Craig
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A little less of the faults in the second book, but this one has a few plot-points left incompletely explored. A little strange how close each of the titles in this series is to being 5 stars, but misses for different reasons. Can't wait for the 4th though.

Re-read 8/13. Back to 4.5

Re-read 9/15.
Vj Parker
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
poor Sasha has more to deal with when she is introduced to her mentors teaching, her life changes for the worse, when she stands up for her sister, life could not get any more complicated or could it?
another great read, Joel has penned a wonderful story with more twists and turns he captures the raw emotions of the characters well.
Jdjade
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Joel Shepherd is a superb writer, very good action scene and sword play.
Spellbinding tales. Love Shasha and Errolyn [really remind me of Lagolas, but Joel makes him more elf like and real]. If you like elfs and kick ass female heroine, this is the books for you.

I am not too happy with the ending of book 4. Especially Jaryd.
I hope there is a book 5.
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Tracato is the grim continuation of this story. I appreciated the addition of depth to Sasha's character, her idealism tempered with the reality of other's greed and power. I don't know what tragic conclusion we're running headlong into, but I want to see where the characters go.
Tom
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This series just keeps getting better!
~Anita~
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed this despite the fact it had been years since I read the first book. It ends so soon after the major battle that it leaves you hanging.
Brittany
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Am loving it so far!!
Love Joel Shepherd as an author, very clever man!
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Really enjoyed the whole series! One of my favorite things I've read in awhile.
Shae Hart
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
O overall, this was an enjoyable installment in the series.
Brennan Griffin
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well done fantasy that takes a realistic approach to politics in a semi-feudal world. Morally complex, well-written stuff.
Krishan
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! it was awesome and I hope that the author brings out more books like this!
Satima
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
See my review of this series under book 2, Petrodor
Jeanette Schaeche
Kaydern
May 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Finally, something happens! The war that I've been expecting since the first book, Lenayin's invasion of the Saalshen Bachosh, has finally started! I feel like it certainly took long enough. On that note, one thing I noticed is that this book, unlike the previous two in the series, jumps right into the action. There is very little time spent on new character development, which seems fair. We already know all the main characters pretty well at this point.

The pace of the first two books in the Tri
Angus Pratt
Nov 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I could put it down for a week at a time and that is perhaps its most damming criticism. It just didn't hold my attention though when I picked it up again I could easily carry on with the story.

The development of Sasha has become much more realistic. And her relationships are richly complicated.
Laz the Sailor
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Intrigue followed by war followed by more intrigue and some assassinations, then one more war.

If it wasn't so well written, it would be boring. Sasha is great, but it's not really safe to get too close to her.

Looking forward to book 4.
Sharon
Mar 02, 2010 marked it as reminder
A Trial of Blood and Steel (Book 3)
Gail
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another city, another set of dramas.
L Frank Turovich
Jan 17, 2013
Peter Andersson
Sep 09, 2016
  • The Office of Shadow
  • The Scar-Crow Men (Swords of Albion, #2)
  • The Wolf Age (Morlock Ambrosius, #3)
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick Volume One: The King of the Elves
  • City of Ruins (Diving Universe, #2)
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • The Affair of the Chalk Cliffs (Narbondo, #5)
  • Mortality Bridge
  • Yours Truly, Jack The Ripper
  • Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)
  • Memory of Morning
  • Demonstorm (Legends of the Raven, #3)
  • The Curse of Four (Black London, #4.5)
  • Hamlet's Father
  • House Name (The House War, #3)
  • Blood Sport (Little Town, #2)
  • Ares Express
  • The Great Game (The Royal Sorceress, #2)
Joel Shepherd is an Australian science fiction author. He moved to Perth, Western Australia with his family when he was seven, where he later studied film and television arts at Curtin University. He now lives in Adelaide.
More about Joel Shepherd...

A Trial of Blood & Steel (4 books)
  • Sasha (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #1)
  • Petrodor (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #2)
  • Haven (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #4)

“He said we're all going to die,'
'And what did you say?'
'I said that's why i'm here”
13 likes
“It is the way, isn't it? With humans and free thought. They only learn through terrible mistakes. Free thought does not make wisdom. Instead it creates enough space for men to commit terrible folly, from which the survivors learn through disaster.” 10 likes