Start by marking “Running Wild” as Want to Read:
Running Wild

Running Wild

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  2,574 Ratings  ·  219 Reviews
An epic and heart-rending jungle adventure from the bestselling author of Kaspar and Born to Run. For Will and his mother, going to Indonesia isn't just a holiday. It's an escape, a new start, a chance to put things behind them - things like the death of Will's father. And to begin with, it seems to be just what they both needed. But then Oona, the elephant Will is riding ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Running Wild, please sign up.
Josh Thomas The recommended age rank is usually for 12,13 and 14. Those areas will get a huge impact whilst reading this book
Josh Thomas This is simple, Will's mother is actually Indonesian. Also, Will had probably never been to an overseas country before, not that Michael Morpurgo…moreThis is simple, Will's mother is actually Indonesian. Also, Will had probably never been to an overseas country before, not that Michael Morpurgo tells us about that. His mum thought that going to Indonesia could make the two of them relieved about the many stresses they are going though(less)

Isabelle
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great story about a boy, and how an elephant saves the boy's life from terrible disasters. I could always visualizing what happened. The author, Michael Morpurgo, was very descriptive in this story. I was very surprised by the end, but I loved the end just as it was. I laughed out loud many many times in this story, as well as cried one or two times.

The relantionship that Will, the boy, and Oona, the elephant, had was incredible. They were like best friends, and when they got seprated they al
Derek
Aug 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
In fairness I read a proof copy of this but the only way it could have been improved since is if it was put in a shredder. It couldn't be worse if Dan Brown rewrote it. It's just absolutely awful. I'm sorry about that, but it is. I feel bad leaving a review like this, and I tried very hard to find something positive about it, but I couldn't. All I could think was that the publisher has a cheek...
Essentially there was something wrong on every page - from where a boy hasn't eaten for a couple of d
Samantha
Running wild is a children’s adventure fiction novel. In this novel the story of a young boy named Will is told through captivating chapters. The emotion throughout the novel is strong and the narrative holds deeper conceptual meanings.
Will and his mother are on a trip to Indonesia, Will is living out his dream of rising an elephant, when suddenly they become separated(by the elephant) in an urgent commotion. The boxing day tsunami was coming. Oona, the elephant saved Wills life from a terrible
Dafna
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Running Wild by Michael Morpurgo Is a book about a boy named Will. Will has lost his father and is still recovering, to escape from all the sadness Will and his mom take a trip to Indonesia. The elephant, Oona, Will was riding starts moving away from the beach as if she was scared. Faster than Will is able to realize a tsunami comes crashing in and Oona begins to run towards the jungle. This book is a story about how Will has to survive in the jungle with nothing but his companion, Oona.

I really
the never-ending library
I always thought if I were ever going to have an animal for a best friend it would be a unicorn. That’s until I was introduced to Oona. The world’s most devoted, caring and intelligent Elephant, and the best friend Will could ask for.

I should probably warn you that this book is the tear jerker of all tear jerkers. If you’re a fan of Morpurgo then this will come as no surprise. The man sure does have a knack for dealing with sensitive subject matter. The issues dealt with in Running Wild are poi
Olivia
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Such a beautiful ,well written book.Really enjoyed it and it was quiet sad but was determined to finish it.This was the book that made me start reading actually and will definitely be buying my own copy.I recommend it to everyone.
Lily Greenslade
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
I adored this! I wasn't expecting to be so drawn into it as I was. Such a beautifully written book, not just for kids, but for everyone that wants to be inspired by true friendship and kindness.
Sep 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was so depressing. I read it to my kids and none of us liked it.
Ramya Jeyaraman
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I swayed to the jungle rhythm reading this one. Fell in love with Oona, the tiger, and the orangutans. Though the plot was not completely gripping to me, I enjoyed how the author so creatively enmeshed tsunami, a lost boy, an empathetic elephant, and their wild stories of survival into a book. The illustrations added a meaningful depth to my reading. A good read!
Lois
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is very touching and I generally do not like Michael Morpurgo’s books because they are too sad. But this book really connected with me and had me crying and laughing all in one chapter.
Cristina Wilson
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fabulous story and I love Morpurgo's descriptive style. I found some parts a little slow to get going hence the rating. I did enjoy it though!
Emily
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put the book down because you felt like if you did then something would happen and you wouldn't see it. It's an epic story of a boy who loses his mum because of a tidal wave on the beach, the only reason he is alive is because of one clever Elephant. He was having a ride when the Elephant went all strange and ran off, the boy doesn't know how to stop the Elephant and starts panicking. After a few days it dawns on him that he has lost his mum, as well as his dad. He starts to make frie ...more
Kaida Ashia
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Running wild is a young adult novel based on events that have and are happening. As stated at the end 'it is a book that everyone in the world should know because its full of hope and determination.'

When i first started this book i thought it would be a drag, the first twelve pages were about a train journey. However the story slowly progressed and i found i couldnt put it down.
After sensing a tsunami Oona an elephant that Will was riding carries him off into the jungle far away till she feels
Alyssa Austin
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Im an in love with this book! I usually don't like to read realistic fiction and find it boring or very descriptive about literally EVERYTHING. However, this book started off with a bang. Tragedy struck his life then instead of writing the whole book around the fact that that it happened (like I had thought it would) but it surprises you and the book comes back and slaps you across the face. Then, just as a sense of peace and tranquil comes over the characters, the book reaches out and slaps you ...more
Lorenzo Budroni
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book gets off to a beginning that grasps my attention and has a bittersweet ending. All based on a real event (Indian Boxing day tsunami Dec 26th 2004) which makes it sort of relatable because of hearing about other tsunamis on news websites and being able to connect to that.
It's relatable because when I first heard of the Japanese tsunami in 2011 I saw footage of it and to live through those kind of events it's horrible to see everything be washed away from you.
Overall a definite five star
Alyx
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
It has information on the war in Iraq, deforestation, endagered species, and the connection of people to animals and nature, how they can heal a broken heart. Also, how small things can make one huge difference, and happiness is important.

It was beautifully written, very heart warming and sad. Of course, it's Murpurgo, I expected it to be sad.

I wanted to read this book for a really long time and had very high expectations, I wasn't dissapointed one little bit.
Oliver
Aug 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
This could be one of the most depressing books I've ever read. From constant comments about elephant farting to the most unrealistic survival story imaginable. Morpurgo says at the end that he always wanted to write a book on Elephants. But then the Iraq war, the Boxing Day Tsunami and then an orangutan sanctuary made him say that he had to write the book???!!!
TheBirdNerd
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone!
I read this book when I was young ,7 or 8 and it was probably the first book that really moved me! It is a beautiful story with wonderful descriptions , telling the tale of how boy becomes lost in the jungle and captivated by it but soon realizes how humans are damaging it. The last lines of the books are quite emotional.A must read!
Readerboy299
Jun 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Read this with my nine year old son. All very worthy, perhaps, but deadly dull. The author cites Kipling as an inspiration. Kipling does it far better...
Gabriel da boss
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an amazing book about a boy who loses his parents and is saved by an elephant. He must survive with only an elephant and a few orangutans as companions and he must fight to survive.
Vanessa Watts
Couldn't get into this and struggled to finish.
Sinead
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SSSOOO sad, but SSSSOOOO amazing.
Eleanor Bishop
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Key Themes:
Respect for the environment
Relationships
Grief

My thoughts and reactions:
1. Children's literature often forces its protagonists to depend upon their own resources and initiative. However, Running Wild offers a different preconception. Morpurgo tells to great effect, a story of a boy who is saved by an elephant during a tsunami. The plot follows Will, who is riding an elephant, Oona who sensed immediate danger and ran into the jungle, terrified and explores the theme of survival.
2. Th
Becky Hancox
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nuweira
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Why did I read this book?
I really like Michael Morpurgo, and I find his books interesting. Also, I had it at home, and had never read it before.

Why did I like it/not like it?
I liked it, because it talked about some of the many, horrible things going on in the world, such as deforestation and tsunamis. It helped me realise/recognise how bad it's getting, while keeping it entertaining, though I did feel that when Will was going through the forest trying to find a way out, that it did drag on, and
Alice
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Running Wild" is one of the many fascinating stories from Michael Morpurgo. I definitely call this a page turner, as I finished it in one day. The book, based on a true story, is a book about a boy named Will, who after his father died, decides with his mom to go on a vacation to Indonesia. As Will gets to ride an elephant, named Una starts acting weirdly, noticing that in the distance, a tsunami is about to strike. Una takes off to the Jungle saving bothe Wills and her own life. The book is ab ...more
Jake
Nov 13, 2017 added it
Running wild is a touching story based on the 2004 boxing day tsunami in Sumatra, Indonesia. It follows a young boy and on a life-changing experience in which his family get washed away from him. He gets lost in the jungle with an elephant and has to survive for weeks by himself. Facing dangerous challenges in the jungle and also creating a bond with the elephant.

I like the survival part of the story because I find that really interesting and cool. I also like the boys love for animals. It is a
Emy
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mad White
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What I love about Michael Morpurgo is that he gives everyone a voice and I think this book really sums that up along with the message that animals really are so peaceful and just want to live and although there are many vile human beings, there are a few that are the same and just want to help animals and co-exist.

Such a beautiful story and so natural. Some may think that it doesn’t really go anywhere but that’s the point and was actually highlighted in the book: it’s just about living each day
Elouise
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I have no words to describe how amazing this book is. It filled me with so many tears, heat brakes, laughter and joy. First the Iraq war, the death of Will's dad, then the tsunami followed by the death of Will's mum. I actually had to take a moment to put the book down and digest all that had happened. This book has early opened my eyes to what's happening to all the rain forests in Indonesia and many other countries as well as the animals that live in the forests. I loved this book and giv ...more
  • Apartment 255
  • Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children
  • Halo
  • Kill the Possum
  • The Silver Donkey
  • The Puzzle Ring
  • The Whisperer
  • Pieces of my Heart
  • Petals in the Ashes (Sign of the Sugared Plum, #2)
  • Surf Ache
  • Chasers (Alone, #1)
  • Zero Moment (The Joshua Files, #3)
  • How it Works: The Wife
  • Chicken Feathers
  • Hunted (Medusa Project, #4)
  • The Day the World Ended (Extinction, #1)
  • Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul: Stories of Feline Affection, Mystery and Charm
  • Dreaming of Chanel
Sir Michael Andrew Morpurgo, OBE, FRSL is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the Second World War, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, ...more

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
  • The Woman in the Dunes
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage