Start by marking “Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga, #1)

Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  6,313 Ratings  ·  268 Reviews
Firekeeper only vaguely remembers a time when she didn't live with her "family," a pack of "royal wolves"-bigger, stronger, and smarter than normal wolves. Now her pack leaders are sending her back to live among the humans, as they promised her mother years ago.

Some of the humans think she may be the lost heir to their throne. This could be good-and it could be very, very
Published June 17th 2002 by Tor Books (first published August 18th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Through Wolf's Eyes, please sign up.
Tamara Sykes No bad language. No sexual themes. Blood Yes, due to war/ fighting. No strange gods.
It has magic and people with strong talent.
Tamara Sykes
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Nytetyger
Nov 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-challenge
This would have been a really fantastic book if the author's editor had sat her down and explained that writing is NOT the SCA, that no, you do NOT need to have every filial relationship detailed, you do NOT need to give us a course on the Heraldry of the characters, and that adding characters does NOT make the plot better.

The original plot was great-- a woman has been raised by the creatures of the forest, as her parents, and those who served them were killed in a fire. These are not common ani
Lightreads
Dec 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Heh. Heh heh. Extremely but unintentionally hilarious, with occasional stretches of deep dullness ("intricate political maneuverings," I'm looking at you). Occasionally spiced with a genuinely interesting subplot about how being raised by wolves leaves you a lot more well-equipped to deal with the sexuality of, you know, wolves, rather than humans.

The sort of thing you'll not entirely admit to liking, if you tend not to admit liking that sort of thing.

rivka
May 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Child raised by wolves. Where have we heard that one before?

But it's really, really good. Well-plotted, good characterization, lots of court intrigues and politics . . . actually, too much of both for my taste, which is why I downgraded it to three stars. An enjoyable read, but I am unlikely to buy any of the sequels.
Annika Astradsson
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm in two minds of whether this book warrants a review or not. It's an easy, lazy read with no challenges to what you might consider right or wrong, a straight-forward plot and love between the right people.

But what makes me want to say a few words about it anyway is the unusal heroine, Firekeeper. Yes she's young and female, yes she has a Gift that makes her able to talk to animals, yes she is thought to be the lost heir of a throne. But... I can't help liking her. She really IS that tough an
Shera (Book Whispers)
Epic Fantasy has become a pretty strong hit or miss genre for me. There once was a time I would OD on them, reading anywhere from 5-10 books a month—if not more. Authors were constantly coming out with new series. That’s when things started going sour for me; the genre was just getting beaten into the ground with a stick. Soon the books became faceless comfort food, and anyone who eats too much of their favorite comfort food can soon become stale. The plots, worlds, characters, and stories all f ...more
King Haddock
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, fantasy
Obviously, there are five thousand stories carrying along the basic idea of a child raised by wolves. Still, I must say it is somewhat appealing - which is probably why it's been written about so many times - although I do prefer an original plot compared to one that is taken from a common idea.

Still, even with this, it was a very interesting and unique view on a common subject. This book is highly political and interesting in that aspect, if with a fairly predictable ending.

All in all, I enjoye
ambyr
A young woman raised by wolves is thrown into political intrigues at a Renaissance-ish court. Either this is your thing or it isn't. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as I would have had I read it when I was twelve.

Sadly, it did not exist when I was twelve--which surprises me, actually, since it has a very early 90s sensibility. There's no hint of grimdark, here. The good guys are Good, the bad guys are Bad (but not in a kicks-puppies, conducts-gruesome-tortures sort of way), and you know eve
Christina Parker
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I must say this book is the exception to the rule of "don't judge a book by its cover". I picked it up on a whim because of my middle school love of wolves and of the beautiful artwork on it's cover. The summary sounded so enticing too! A search for a lost heir to the throne who has been raised by wolves? Who wouldn't want to give this a try? I fell in love with the characters, the medieval setting and the mystical animals with subtle hints of magic. I like that it doesn't rely on magic to sell ...more
Cloak88
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, 2017, fantasy
Not your standard princess.

The kingdom of Hawkhaven is in dire need of an heir. The king has lost his children to death or exile and now every aunt, uncle, niece and nephew is clamouring to take the crown. In the midst of all this political squabbling a small expedition is sent to find the exiled prince as a last ditch measure. What they find however is a wild girl, raised by wolf who might just may be the prince's daughter and potential heir to the kingdom of Hawkhaven. Firekeeper as she calls
Nora
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: high-fantasy
Okay, so, to start: This book includes (1) a world map, (2) a royal family tree, and (3) a glossary of characters. Any guesses as to why supplementary materials like these are included in so many fantasy novels? SO THAT EXTRANEOUS WORLD-BUILDING FACTOIDS DON'T NEED TO BE REVEALED THROUGH OVERLY-EXPOSITORY NARRATION OR DIALOGUE.

And yet that constituted 40% of the book.

There was a scene in which one cousin recounts to another HIS WHOLE FAMILY'S NAMES. To his cousin. Who has known this family all h
Amber
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book is a Jungle book theme. The girl is raised by wolves and then these people come and save her from the wilderness she loves. If this book had just been about her it would have been better, however, the author spent way too much time on the politics of the group. An elderly King must name a new heir because his children are all dead, and there is a slight possiblity that the girl found in the wild is his grandaughter. Yea, it goes on and on and on about that. So unless you are looking fo ...more
Férial
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A refreshing read and refreshing characters. Ok, a lot of politics and that genealogy thing...my...I'm not sure that even now I clearly know who is who's son, brother, daughter, uncle, aunt, Grand Duke or Grand Duchess, going back to Queen Zorana the First.

Anyway. Firekeeper is such a sweet and smart "thing". Still a wolf in her head but becoming more and more human (and at the same time keeping her wolfy thing).

I think that this book can be read as a stand alone. The villain (one of them at lea
Mary
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought this book was going to be a bit cheesier than it actually turned out to be. The evolution of the characters seemed real and genuine. I was initially expecting our wolf-girl to be magically transformed into princess material. I began to realize I could really like the story as that didn't happen. She grows and changes quite gradually as one might really expect her to, and the attitudes of those around her evolve and respond to that in a very natural way. This is still obviously a book o ...more
Dan
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great story, interesting characters, a wonderful escape.
Charty
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it
A solid fantasy that I finished but ultimately didn't love. Fire keeper, our heroine lives in the wilds on the far side of the mountain boundary of her kingdom and she is no ordinary girl - she's been raised by and living with wolves. Not your normal wolves but something bigger and more intelligent. A party of the King's nobles comes hunting the fate of a prince and his household who left years before and all they find, besides a burned settlement, is Firekeeper who may or may not be granddaught ...more
Foomy
Feb 12, 2009 rated it liked it
The first in a series about a girl raised by wolves. Sounds cliché but there is some magic in this world and the wolves are "royal" wolves which basically mean they are bigger and smarter and are able to teach the girl a bit more than regular wolves might be able to.

The story of Firekeeper (the girl) is pretty interesting, seeing how she learns about humans and finds her place in the world as something not wolf, but not human either. Unfortunately that story is surrounded by the story of a bunch
Moira
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aj, fantasy, milááášci
15.8.2015 - 4,5*
Líbilo se mi to, líbilo se mi to, líbilo se mi to!
Hlavní hrdinka, koncept dvou druhů zvířat a vlci.
Epická fantasy, se složitou politickou situací a tanců kolem nástupnictví na trůn, a já byla zatraceně zvědavá, kdo tam nakonec skončí.
Líbily se mi postavy. Všechny. A tím myslím vážně všechny. Zvířata tam měla takový charakter, jaký občas u jiných postav postrádám. Ještě lepší byla interakce postav, všechny vztahy. Byly reálné a to byl detail, který mě nalákal nejvíce, protože na n
Arminion
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish-it
The first part was interesting where a group of people from the court come in a forest and find a wild girl raised by wolves. They believe she is the daughter of the missing prince, and thus, a potential heir to the throne. It is their job to civilize her and bring her back among the people (something they manage to do quite fast and easy, though).
The second part was super boring. There is no sense of mystery or wonder anymore, just boring political scheming of various nobles and Great Houses fi
Kristi Thompson
Mar 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Not what I thought it was. I was expecting another of Jane's Athanor novels, or something similar. Instead, something more like Pat Murphy's Wild Angel - a feral child book, although in a fantasy setting.

Why so many feral wolf women books, I wonder? I seem to have read quite a few lately. Continued aftereffects of pop psychology like _Women who run with the Wolves_? Seems a healthy subgenre, but it's not exactly producing blockbusters.

The ending was not very good. Bad Ending! Bad! No cookie!

I wa
Amber
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, intrigue
This was the pick of a whim and I'll be entirely honest, it was heavier going than I really needed during the semester. But I'm a sucker for intrigue and this book was chock full of it. I like that the characters were just people, flawed and imperfect regardless of their goodness or badness or inbetween-ness. I really hope I'm able to read more...but maybe after the semester is over XD
Jenny Koch
I loved the cast of characters, their interactions, and how their personalities grew and changed over time. The book was a bit clunky at times though so I did find myself skimming pages.

I'll be reading the next book in the series.
Ric Wooldridge
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This entire series is cool. Its got a different twist on fantasy.
Rebecca Farrell
Mar 29, 2008 rated it liked it
I love these books!
Alex Neville
The first part of the book was pretty cool, what with the concept of a girl being raised by wolves (and consequently being more wolf than human, in a lot of ways). Then she goes into human society; that's cool and all. I thought it was a good start to a story.

Unfortunately, the book lost me when its tone changed completely. It went into this long, drawn-out discussion of politics and who was/wasn't a potential candidate for royalty. Words cannot begin to describe how BORING that was. I actually
Julie
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
While my account currently says I've read this book twice, I've read it many, many more times (usually only getting through the first book or two in the series). It is a long book, and a long series. It can take a seriously long time to get through it all. However, I find the time it takes to read through this series worth it. Each book I get through will only further prove that, I'm sure.

A lot of time and effort had to have been put into this book. The first few pages, and the last pages as we
Nicole
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is the first dip back into high fantasy for myself, and this was a perfect book for it. Love the character development and world building, but now I am at the point where I am happy/sad there is a next book. Happy that the story continues, sad that I have to go searching for it. Reader's problem.
Maureen
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. I loved most of the characters. I have always been fascinated by wolves and was one of the reasons that I read it. I thought is was nicely paced for the most part, and though some parts were slow I didn't find this book boring. I thought the ending was a great conclusion to the 1st book in this series. Onto the next happy reading everyone :)
Vickie
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Such a great story but so much detours and unnecessary information. I'm pretty streamed and still waiting for someone to tell Firekeeper who she really is. I think it was cruel to let the story end without some kind of happy ending for her. That's why I could only give 3 stars.
Teresa
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the first fantasy books I ever read. And it explains why I have loved fantasy ever since. She paints a vivid picture of this other land. I have read the series a few times and wish that there were more.
Sandy
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read. I enjoyed the characters and the plot. A litre slow in the beginning and then towards the end slogging through the genealogy. The rest kept my turning the page. can't wait to pick up next book.
FYTortall Book Club: Fiction/Sci-Fi/Fantasy 16 62 Nov 18, 2014 11:42AM
  • Song in the Silence (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #1)
  • Path of Fate (Path, #1)
  • Wolfwalker (Wolfwalker, #1)
  • Diplomacy of Wolves (The Secret Texts, #1)
  • Reiffen's Choice (Stoneways Trilogy, #1)
  • The Last Dragonlord (Dragonlord, #1)
  • The Mountain's Call (White Magic, #1)
  • In the Midnight Hour (Light Warriors, #1)
  • King's Property (Queen of the Orcs, #1)
  • Birth of the Firebringer (Firebringer, #1)
  • The Witches of Eileanan (The Witches of Eileanan, #1)
  • A Companion to Wolves (Iskryne World, #1)
  • Darkness of the Light
  • The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)
  • The Glasswrights' Apprentice (Glasswright, #1)
  • The Sleeping God (Dhulyn and Parno, #1)
Jane Lindskold is the author of more than twenty published novels, including the six volume Firekeeper Saga (beginning with Through Wolf’s Eyes), Child of a Rainless Year (a contemporary fantasy set in Las Vegas, New Mexico), and The Buried Pyramid (an archeological adventure fantasy set in 1880's Egypt).

Lindskold is also the author of the “Breaking the Wall” series, which begins with Thirteen Orp
More about Jane Lindskold

Firekeeper Saga (6 books)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
  • The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga, #3)
  • Wolf Captured (Firekeeper Saga, #4)
  • Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5)
  • Wolf's Blood (Firekeeper Saga, #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Well done, Sister," Blind Seer said. "I look forward to meeting this One above Ones. Now, you must make ready. I, of course, am already perfect.” 19 likes
“Is she become a rag doll? Are the wolves become children? It seems quite possible, there on the twilight fringes of dying. With some faint spark of herself, the little girl holds on to the idea. Even a rag doll has more life than does a dying child.” 17 likes