Start by marking “Abercrombie Trail: A Novel of the 1862 Uprising” as Want to Read:
Abercrombie Trail: A Novel of the 1862 Uprising

Abercrombie Trail: A Novel of the 1862 Uprising

(Abercrombie Trail #1)

"Endlessly Fascinating.... The ultimate 'I was there' book. I have read many books about Scandinavians coming to America in the turbulent 1860s, but thanks to author Candace Simar, this is the first time I was ever transported from my easy chair right into the book to experience it with them. The images of courage, cruelty, intolerance, discovery, and simple pleasures have ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by North Star Press of St. Cloud

Start your review of Abercrombie Trail: A Novel of the 1862 Uprising
Janene
Our newspaper ran a story about this local author, Candace Simar, and her debut novel Abercrombie Trail: A Novel of the 1862 Uprising and I put in the back of my mind to pick up a copy 'one of these days'. I stopped at the libary one day and ran across this little treasure.

To be honest, I didn't expect much. It wasn't a 'high quality' publication; it was something a local gal from the little neighboring town of Pequot Lakes could publish. I grabbed it thinking 'whattheheck'.

In April of 1860, a
Aaron
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fascinating historical fiction with characters you can believe. This truly is a piece of American history that I have never heard and found quite interesting.
This novel feels authentic in its depiction of how the peoples of that time behaved and spoke. I think it is easy to put our current thoughts and ways of doing things into the actions and behaviors of our forebears. But this just is not the case. Religion was a much greater factor during this time and manners were much different. Candace
Lynna
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
It is such a GOOD story. Great history lesson and to imagine all this happened in my "neck of the woods". I grew up just north of Sauk Center. It will be good to tie this story and history to the upcoming movie Lincoln directed by Steven Spielberg all happening at the same time. This is a kind-of adult version of Little House on the Prairie, the adult features; politics, daily living, and the adult stressors of the time, survival in a land taken from those who roamed it and our ancestors wanted ...more
Barb
Feb 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed this book. I was able to actually meet Candace at our local library. It was so interesting to hear all about how the book came about. I would read more of Candace's books. I hear there are at least two more coming out......... Something to look forward to!
Val Wilkerson
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-books-read
Great historical fiction about the 1862 Uprising in Minnesota between the norwegian immigrants and the Dakota Indians. Since my family is all from Minnesota I found this well written and very interesting.
Krista Rolfzen Soukup
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Execellent book! I love reading about Minnesota History and immigrant life on the prairie during the 1862 Sioux Uprising. A must read!
Christine Howard
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: moonmaid2017
I found this book very interesting having grown up in Minnesota and knowing there were Indians hung in Mankato. Telling the story through the eyes of a young man just emigrated from Norway was a good method. The only criticism I have is there were numerous mistakes and in its e-book form which is how I read it there were many formatting issues.
Valerie
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
This book is a fictionalized story set around the time of the US/Dakota War of 1862. Told from the perspective of Evan, a Norwegian immigrant who drives the mail/supply coach from Ft. Snelling to Fr. Abercrombie and back, the book mostly focuses on the lives of European immigrants trying to make it on the frontier. In this, the book excels. In telling the story of the war, not as much.

The treatment of Native Americans by the US Government and by extension, immigrants, is one of the stains on the
Val Hanson
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We were given the series of Candace Simar's books for Christmas. We live in Douglas County Minnesota and have been told by historians that the road by our house may well have been part of the Abercrombie Trail. Living in Minnesota all my life I had heard little of the 1862 uprising. Some of the things described in this book were hard to read however I found the book interesting and enjoyed it very much.
Rhonda
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Everything you could want in a book, Candace Simar is a weaver of words and puts you right there, characters to care about, tragedy and triump of life in Minnesota. I love history, especially MN history and a good tale, this is all that and more. Well researched and the history is woven into the story seamlessly. Brings the times and the people alive.
Lisa
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Amy Kurtz Wilson
Recommended to Lisa by: Mary Aalgaard
While it started out a bit confusing, I loved it! A tip: maybe make a list of characters as they come up? I had to check back on some people; there were many.
M.E. Fuller
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to M.E. by: Writer's group
Loved this book. Well written. Well paced. Interesting perspective on the Sioux uprising.
Janell Madison
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing

“Abercrombie Trail by Candace Simar is a Historical Fiction book that has something every reader will enjoy! Suspense, mystery, and love are all in this book, along with a writing style that flows easily as you read. This book drew me in when reading the first chapter! A book that a reader of every genre will enjoy! “Abercrombie Trail” has so many great characters in it, each with a fabulous story!” – Green Gables Book Reviews

“Abercrombie Trail” begins with main character, Evan Jacobson making t
Paula Singleton
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical Fiction of the starting of Minnesota

First book by this author. Enjoyed this historical fiction about the beginning of Minnesota. This book follows some of the immigrants that settled in Minnesota for the rich farmland and all the available land the state had for the settlers. They lived peacefully, for the most part, with the local tribes of Indians. It also covered the Dakota Indians and The Great Sioux Uprising of 1862, where a lot of settlers lost their life. The Sioux were retalia
June
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read

I guess I never realized the Indian war was during the civil war. That’s why I enjoy reading historical fiction like this book. This was written in a way that I could picture everything that Evan was seeing. Heart breaking. I will remember this book for a long time.
Beth
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended and loaned to me by a coworker. It was a great historical story of what it might have been like for a Norwegian immigrant back in the years leading up to and during the 1862 Dakota uprising in MN.
Shelly
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am torn by this book. The history is interesting and heartbreaking, but the writing bores me. The characters are one-dimensional.
Diane
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sad historical-fiction account of the Dakota uprising.
PJ Rolfzen
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Non stop reading. Loved this book. Great Historical Novel. It puts you in the time and makes you want to keep reading! The beginning of a GREAT series!
Dianne
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
November Book Club selection. At one of Evan's stops his host poured his coffee into his saucer to drink. I seem to remember my grandfather or someone around that time doing that when I was much younger. The descriptions of the killings were very disturbing. Otherwise I did enjoy reading this book.
Jenny
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Fascinating view into a part of history I didn't know too much about, even though it took place in our own region.
Christopher Borum
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very good tale of the immigrant experience in Minnesota and the impact of the Sioux Uprising of 1862. The author does a good job of balancing the ferocity of the attacks with the frustration at the delayed payments and broken treaties. It's a little bit of a slow build as Evan makes his way back and forth along the trail between Ft Snelling in present-day St Paul and Ft Abercrombie in the Dakota Territory. The trip takes about 10 days and he makes it several times. He stays with variou ...more
Katie Foth
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Candace weaves a wonderful and believable story about a Norwegian immigrant in the 1860s. Evan Jacobson learns English from his friend Crooked Lightning, a Dakota brave, and Bishop Whipple, an Episcopalian missionary at Fort Snelling in Minnesota. When Evan becomes a stage coach driver, his quiet but friendly ways earn him friendship with the many settlers along the trail between Fort Snelling and Fort Abercrombie (near Fargo). During the Indian Uprising of 1862, Evan helps to warn and rescue se ...more
Robin Halvorson
Sep 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This is not the world's greatest literature but I found it interesting because of my family's history with the Abercrombie Trail. Two ancestors bought Fort Pomme de Terre when the army abandoned it and made it a major stage stop between St. Cloud and Fort Abercrombie. Another group of ancestors was attacked by indians on the trail and the men stayed behind to fight a delaying action while my 14 year old ancestor took the wagon and the rest of his family on into Fort Abercrombie. Yet another ance ...more
Jane
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abercrombie Trail is a great fictional account of the 1862 Dakota uprising in Minnesota. While I found many editing errors, oversights and some misspellings in this state-produced volume, the story itself was pretty true to the first-person accounts of the Dakota uprising that I've read in the past. Also, author Candace Simar does a good job of creating a sympathetic hero--Norwegian immigrant Evan Jacobson--and showing the various angles of the uprising from Evan's open-minded perspective. Stude ...more
John
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A completely engaging story of a Norwegian immigrant trying to create a new life in Minnesota. He gets caught up in the events of August, 1862 when some of the Dakota run out of food and patience and launch an attack on the settlers of central Minnesota. This is a gripping tale of adventure, danger, heroism and, of course, love all in the midst of hard work, desperate efforts to survive, brutality, birth and death. Candace Simar weaves some personal history and much study to pen this captivating ...more
Linda
Enjoyed the story very much, since it is set in the area where I live. I had not realized that the Sioux uprising had affected this area so much. I think all Minnesotans need to learn more about this event, and I'm glad that Candace Simar has written this book. It's an enjoyable way to learn about the horrific things that happened, and about the horrific things that caused it to happen.
Actually enjoyed it more the second time, and it provided great fodder for our book discussion.
Vanessa
Jun 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!! While the characters are fictional, the setting and historical details are not! I learned so much about the Souix Uprising I never knew. This was sad to me, especially since I grew up near Camp Release! If you like Historical Fiction, you will love this!! Check out all her others, as well, as they just keep getting better!!
Katelyn
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Realistic, well researched and interesting fictional account of a young Norwegian man who immigrates to Minnesota in the mid 1800s. He works as a stage coach driver between Fort Snelling and Fort Abercrombie during the time of the Sioux Uprising. The book looks at the Uprising and later books in the series deal with the affects of this event.
Tomigirl44
Apr 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the setting of the book, as it took place in parts of Minnesota I've lived in or near, but I found myself wanting more - better character development, better editing (Kindle version).

I will read her 2nd book (there are 4 in this series), and I'll decide from there if I'll read the other two.

• Shoes
  • The Frontiersmen
  • An Ornery Bunch: Tales and Anecdotes Collected by the WPA Montana Writers Project
  • Wild Horse Country: The History, Myth, and Future of the Mustang, America's Horse
  • The New Wild West: Black Gold, Fracking, and Life in a North Dakota Boomtown
  • Blood Brothers (Sign of Seven, #1)
  • Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family
  • One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow
  • The Runaway Children
  • Mail Order Meals (Brides of Beckham, #32)
  • Plum Spooky (Stephanie Plum, #14.5)
  • A Dangerous Place (Maisie Dobbs, #11)
  • Hannah's Hanky (Clover Creek Caravan Book 1)
  • The Widow's Walk
  • A Legacy of Secrets (An Irish Family Saga, #4)
  • A Prodigal Return (An Irish Family Saga, #5)
  • Heart of a Samurai
  • Arabian Nights

Abercrombie Trail (4 books)
  • Pomme de Terre (Abercrombie Trail #2)
  • Birdie (Abercrombie Trail, #3)
  • Blooming Prairie