Start by marking “The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga, #3)

The Dragon of Despair

(Firekeeper Saga #3)

Raised by smart, language-using wolves, far from humans, then brought back to the court of Hawk Haven, young Firekeeper had to learn to cope with human society. Fortunately, for one raised amidst intelligent pack animals, the intrigues of humans are neither complex nor wholly unfamiliar.

Now Melina Shield, the beautiful, unscrupulous, and thoroughly discredited sorceress wh
Published April 1st 2004 by Tor Books (first published August 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon of Despair, please sign up.
Elizabeth Haner
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Eleanor
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
At first I thought to myself, there is really no way this series can keep up with itself. The first and second books were just fabulous. But, I was happily surprised that "The Dragon of Despair" kept up with the expectations I have come to have for this series. I swear I thought by now this series would have been ruined by some goo goo eyes sword romance as many fantasies tend to. But the intrigue the plots and the easy way the characters interact with each other remained. So really if you enjoy ...more
Jagrid
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
Shelves: fantasy
I love this series, but DoD is far too similar to the previous book. When you read it right after Wolf's Head, Wolf's heart a lot of the situtations are just far too similar. Though it's not a bad book, I'd suggest waiting a month or so before reading it if you've just read the previous book.
Caitlin Gonya
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel a little weird starting the first blog about this series with the third book. However, I started this series over a year ago, and I just keep finding other books more interesting. This isn't a bad series, it's actually quite good, but I just lose interest with long dialogues and less action.

The third book starts with Firekeeper and Derian returning to Bardenville to place grave markers where Prince Barden and his community lost their lives. The two discover that a new expedition has been
Dallass
Ahhh. This series gives me the warm fuzzies each time I finish reading a new book. I adore Firekeeper and Blind Seer. Their relationship is extraordinary, and I just want to learn more about the Royal Beasts. Side note: I think Firekeeper’s memory of her family might be coming back to her 🥳

In The Dragon of Despair all your favourites are back, with Derian, Edlin, Doc, Elise and Grateful Peace accompanying Firekeeper and Blind Seer on their newest quest as they race to stop the sneaky bitch herse
lostinabookbrb
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series is going strong with The Dragon of Despair. It continues the adventures of Firekeeper and the gang returning to Dragon's Breath. While the first two novels could be read as stand alones, this novel is (in my mind) best read when you know the background information. I continue to enjoy the character development especially that of Citrine. Also the continuation of the series plot versus the singular book plot is well done.

The single star off is that I kinda wish more time was spent fl
Ashley
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I have enjoyed this series, but I have read this book twice and it is the hardest one for me to recall overall out of the entire series. There were some great moments and characters, but it didn't stick with me at all the first time when I read it. I definitely enjoyed it more the second time around. I'd probably give it 3.5 stars- I'm kind of torn on this one.
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I think it was good, in a way. I enjoyed the story, but it just... drags. She spends a little too much time on building up to the issue, when it really just gets hard to read/boring because there is too much uneeded segues.
Lynda
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I continue to be pleased with the growth of the characters in this series. If you like fantasy wolves and the idea of someone who can communicate with them, give this series a try.
Lindsey Duncan
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: just-fantasy
The fact that this was a very long read has nothing to do with the quality of the book, because as with the first two volumes, this is a solid, engaging fantasy. Lindskold's world is not an unusual one, although New Kelvinese society becomes more intriguing on further inspection and the Royal Beasts continue to provide interesting wrinkles and an evolving multi-book conflict. Rather, the pleasure is in the characters and their adventures.

The book begins with one plot and continues with another (
Carol
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This book is the third in a series of fantasy novels. The books are connected, but the plots are self-contained (i.e., this is not one continuous story spread out over several books). Firekeeper, one of the two principal protagonists, is a feral child raised by wolves and recently reintroduced into human society. The other main character, Derian Carter, is Firekeeper's first and best friends in the human world. The plot is, at its root, fairly routine fantasy: a group of adventurous types must g ...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
At this point, I am somewhat regretting having picked up free copies of the first five books in this series. Having done so, I feel compelled to read them all. Unfortunately, I am not any more enthused by this series than I was at the beginning, perhaps less so. For whatever reason, the characters and plots have never particularly interested in me.

My complaints here are similar to my complaints for the two previous books in the series. First of all, for an epic fantasy series, there is remarkabl
Taylor Alcantar
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I really like this book series and plan on finishing it but this book was a test to my patience. Everything happened at a snails pace and left with, of course, so many cliffhangers.

Firekeeper returns to her wolf family who are angered by a new group of humans encroaching on their territory. Firekeeper goes to the king who offers a trade, he will have the humans removed if she goes back to New Kelvin to help Citrine confront her mother, the only way they believe she will be able to move on from
Lori
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, series, fantasy
A great addition to a new series with an fantasy world where some animals are more than they seem. Some of the animals, in particular a pack of wolves, saved a baby from a burning village and with help from an unidentified source, inducted her into their pack. Now humans have come in search of the village and its inhabitants, which leads the protagonist to leave behind her forest home to learn the strange language and customs of these two-leggers.

Driven by politics almost exclusively, this dryn
Cayleigh
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
the 3rd book in a series about a young girl who was raised by Royal (intelligent) Wolves. This book takes place mostly in the country of New Kelvin (a neighboring country to the one the main characters are from and the setting of the first two books). Going to a new country refreshed the books for me since I enjoyed their previous adventure in New Kelvin. These aren’t your typical “girl raised by wolves’ books. A nice and complex story that would be good read in the series or even as a standalon ...more
Elise
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I do love how this book ended. It left off with Firekeeper and Blind Seer leaving to return to the pack, which leads me to believe that we won't be seeing too much of the Hawk Haven characters. In that case, I appreciate the tying up of loose ends here even more. And with the plan Sir Jared has that he told Elise about, it seems their romance may work out after all. Maybe. Hopefully. I do hope it does. I find myself cheering for those two a lot.
Dec 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Another interesting plot and better character development. Sadly, I haven't seem much development in Lindskol's writing, but that's not entirely surprising. You follow lots of different characters, and it just might be too many; the timeline starts to get overlapped, especially during the climax and so many different things are happening at once. It starts to get a bit confusing. But that's a minor detail. Overall, though, I enjoyed it.
Jenna
Jun 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Um, I actually have no idea how this book was, because it was impossible for me to get past the first 50 pages. I'm a fast reader and usually don't like stopping in the middle, but it was boring and yet confusing at the same time. It probably didn't help that I didn't read the previous books in the series, but seriously. It should have a more interesting start.
Melanie
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The trilogy was long and the books were large. Not large nor long enough in my opinion. We need more Firekeeper. Beautifully written with a justified, vengeful ending to their stories, I was not disappointed with any part of this sequel and really really wish Mrs. Lindskold would give us more.

Edit: I just realized the series is indeed not over. Here I go to buy books.
Megalion
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Things get dicey at home for Firekeeper. Home being her wolf pack as it will always be despite her continuing assimilation into the human world.

Also, our band of adventurers must return to New Kelvin. As mentioned in my review of the previous book, I really enjoy the culture of New Kelvin.
Christy
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jane, you must have had a very hard childhood. The picture of a child under the thrall of her mother and how she escaped and then was enthralled again, is spell binding. You have given me an insight into the children I work with who've been hurt by their parents emotionally. What a terrible, beautiful book.

Thank you.
Siobhan
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-sf
A continuation of the series, but somewhat disappointing. Only minor characters are furthered and the main ones are holding relatively fast. Firekeeper is fearing a war between Men and Beasts, but diplomacy averts it in this book. Worth it if you enjoy spending time in the world, but seems to be in a holding pattern for the overall story arc.
Amy Ariel
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-challenge
It's been too long since I read a fantasy book. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, although I admit I read it as a stand-alone. I loved the political intrigues, the cultures, the characters. I loved the strength in the women, and I loved the wolf. The ending was satisfying.

Is there anyone who would ultimately choose humans over Beasts?
June
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Animal & fantasy readers
Melina has used her power to marry the ruler of New Kelvin and is planning further treachery. Firekeeper is sent with her friends to stop Melina, and reunite her with her youngest daughter in hopes of helping Citrine recover after her ordeal with the pirates. Wisdom of animals (Firekeeper's wolf lore) and humans (I really enjoy Grateful Peace's character) rise to the top.
Jeffrey
Apr 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Unwisely
Jul 01, 2010 rated it liked it
A lot more of New Kelvin and Melina. Not bad, but there were more adventures than character development. Which is okay for one book - the ride was pleasant! - but will get old if the next one is just the same.
Jenn
Aug 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Over all not a bad read. I think it could of been about 100 pages shorter. At times it did seem to just go on and on.

It's nice to see all the main characters growing and changing.

I'm still enjoying the series.
Paul
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
At first the book seemed uncomfortably similar to the previous book, but the ending was strong. I wonder if the author's original plan for book 2 encompassed too much for one volume, so she split it in two.
Donald
Feb 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Dull.
Sheila
Apr 24, 2010 added it
Shelves: fantasy
These are excellent books...all of them.
Jerry
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-books-ever
Great! Wolves, magic, a dragon, emotion. Plot dragged. Adventure.

• The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
  • Shattered Dance
  • Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2)
  • Path of Fate (Path, #1)
  • Silver Moons, Black Steel (Wolfwalker, #6)
  • Exiles' Return (Ghatti's Tale, #3)
  • The Son of Summer Stars (Firebringer, #3)
  • Night of the Wolf (Legends of the Wolf, #2)
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
  • The Griffin's War (The Fallen Moon #3)
  • Mistress of Dragons (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #1)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • Harshini (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #3)
  • The Queen's Gambit
Jane Lindskold is the author of more than twenty published novels, including the six volume Firekeeper Saga (beginning with Through Wolf’s Eyes), Child of a Rainless Year (a contemporary fantasy set in Las Vegas, New Mexico), and The Buried Pyramid (an archeological adventure fantasy set in 1880's Egypt).

Lindskold is also the author of the “Breaking the Wall” series, which begins with Thirteen Orp

Firekeeper Saga (6 books)
  • Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga, #1)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
  • Wolf Captured (Firekeeper Saga, #4)
  • Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5)
  • Wolf's Blood (Firekeeper Saga, #6)
“There were nights when, lying awake on the fringes of Derian’s latest encampment and invigorated by the coolness that came with the dark, she fought back the urge to get up and go just a bit farther. When the wolf-woman slept, she dreamed of her impatience.” 0 likes
“His features, like those of his cousin Norvin Norwood, were aquiline rather than handsome, but unlike Norvin, whose grey eyes seemed to hold something of a raptor’s fierceness, Jared’s similar visage was mild.” 0 likes