Start by marking “The God Effect: Quantum Entanglement, Science's Strangest Phenomenon” as Want to Read:
The God Effect: Quantum Entanglement, Science's Strangest Phenomenon

The God Effect: Quantum Entanglement, Science's Strangest Phenomenon

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  185 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The phenomenon that Einstein thought too spooky and strange to be true

What is entanglement? It's a connection between quantum particles, the building blocks of the universe. Once two particles are entangled, a change to one of them is reflected---instantly---in the other, be they in the same lab or light-years apart. So counterintuitive is this phenomenon and its implicati
Published July 21st 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published June 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The God Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The God Effect

Fortunr
I am really undecided about this book, which I really wanted to like.
To be honest, while there are some sections that are done brilliantly, there are unfortunately some examples/experiments that are not described clearly and where the hand-waving is really a bit too much. I did not particularly like the section on relativity either: I can easily remember several other books where relativity is explained still in a concise but in a much more clear manner.
In summary, I found that the book is unev
Blarg
May 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(Cross-posted from my blog at http://thebartbooks.blogspot.com/2009...)

Anton Chekhov once said that if you say in the first chapter of your book that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. In other words, if the gun is not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging prominently on the wall.

With that in mind, I looked forward to the author’s discussion of how quantum entanglement could be seen as evidence of an invisible space deity, and was
Sawyer
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book was pretty good and helped to give me a ok understanding of quantum entanglement which is till a little hard to understand. I also liked it a lot because it talked about Einstien and it showed how he didn't like the concept of it and tried to prove it wrong on several ocasions but only strengthend the theory
Jim
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a non-physicist who in intrigued by this kind of book, I was very pleased. Although this book is now somewhat outdated, Clegg gives the most understandable explanation I've read so far about the "spookiness" of quantum entanglemant.
Sean Callaghan
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great stuff. Exactly what I was looking for. For anyone interested in QE, a good starter book.
Michael
Oct 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Clegg book talks about an amazing aspect of quantum theory, which is that when two particles are created that are linked, or entangled, in spin or some other property, and then separated, and then when the spin of one particle is observed the spin of the other is automatically determined no matter how far away it is. This seems to violate the notion of local causality (not to mention the speed of light). The concept was dismissed by most physicists from the start (even Richard Feynman though ...more
Roger
Jan 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quantum Mechanics eerie phenomenon (one of the many) - quantum entanglement - is being described in this book that is clearly written for the non-hardcore-scientist (eg. me). That being said the reader can't just sit back and enjoy the ride, some thinking is necessary and since the topic is part of Quantum Mechanics one needs to be prepared to have ones brain twisted into a pretzel.

The chapters describe possible uses for the entanglement effect and why it is so fiendishly difficult to make it w
Terry
Nov 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
I'm constantly impressed by Brian Clegg's ability capture both the science and the fact of tricky phenomenon. It's not pedantic but necessary to spend fifty pages on the differences between a model and observed fact when talking about something like the quantum behavior of photons going through polarizing filters. I recall having seen the Bell Inequality and eventual Bell Experiments before but the treatment here is phenomenal.

The digression regarding the history of cryptography was largely unne
Gary
Jan 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physics
If you know anything about quantum entanglement already you will not learning anything new from this book....well that may be a bit harsh. There might be twenty to thirty pages of information on entanglement itself the rest is a history of other topics in which entanglement could be exploited. It for some reason includes a whole chapter (out of 8) about the possibility of sending information instantaneously when he has already proved that no information can transfered through entangled particles ...more
MikeFromQueens
I was not terribly impressed. This book further solidified my belief that the Higgs Boson does not exit, nor does dark matter, but that these are constructs to fill in the gaps in theories where observations cannot be explained. Some areas were truly ridiculous to even read, such as teleportation. Action at a distance? Show me.
Chad Carlock
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good read. Focuses more on potential applications than theory (since we don't really understand the whys and how's of quantum mechanics anyway), but an interesting survey of what is and is not possible.
Mark
Mar 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Offers very little scientific explanation and a lot of extrapolation and tangential trivia. Good if you like that sort of thing I suppose, but for me it was rather frustrating.
Dax
Dec 30, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this based on a reference to entanglement by Ray Kurzweil.
Kerriwyn
Interesting concept, but poorly written. How this author manages to make the idea of possible teleportation boring is beyond me, but he does! LOL
Brendan  McAuliffe
This was good, but, every time I read about Entanglement I think I understand it less every time ~
Stan
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting account of the physics phenomena of entanglement and how it can , as well as could, affect our lives.
Adam
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is heavy on the academics, but very interesting and engaging. Worth a look.
James
Nov 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably a great read for someone with extensive mathematical background, but for me......
Erin
May 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
slowed down a ton at the end but full of interesting facts!
Arko
Mar 02, 2014
Kristiyan
Mar 16, 2012
Jaik Dean
rated it did not like it
Mar 03, 2013
  • To Infinity and Beyond: A Cultural History of the Infinite
  • The Quantum Zoo: A Tourist's Guide to the Neverending Universe
  • God and the Atom
  • Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness
  • A Tear at the Edge of Creation: A Radical New Vision for Life in an Imperfect Universe
  • Dance of the Photons: From Einstein to Quantum Teleportation
  • Deciphering the Cosmic Number: The Strange Friendship of Wolfgang Pauli and Carl Jung
  • In Search of the Big Bang
  • The Age of Entanglement: When Quantum Physics Was Reborn
  • Einstein's Telescope: The Hunt for Dark Matter and Dark Energy in the Universe
  • Endless Universe: Beyond the Big Bang
  • Quantum Mechanics And Path Integrals
  • The Man of Numbers: Fibonacci's Arithmetic Revolution
  • Cosmology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Beyond the God Particle
  • The Five Ages of the Universe: Inside the Physics of Eternity
  • Transport Processes and Unit Operations
  • Physics in Mind: A Quantum View of the Brain
Brian's latest books, Ten Billion Tomorrows and How Many Moons does the Earth Have are now available to pre-order. He has written a range of other science titles, including the bestselling Inflight Science, The God Effect, Before the Big Bang, A Brief History of Infinity, Build Your Own Time Machine and Dice World.

Along with appearances at the Royal Institution in London he has spoken at venues fr
More about Brian Clegg...