Start by marking “The Rolling Stone Record Guide (Reviews And Ratings Of Almost 10,000 Currently Available Rock, Pop, Soul, Country, Blues, Jazz, And Gospel Albums)” as Want to Read:

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Published by Random House (NY) (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Rolling Stone Record Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rolling Stone Record Guide

Jeff
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
Back when I had unformed opinions about music I would look at these books as bibles: whatever the Rolling Stone Album Guide said was good, I bought and listened to, at the exclusion of all else. It introduced me to a lot of good music, but labeled a lot of popular music crap, to be avoided. It virtually ignored traditional pop performers like Peggy Lee and Tony Bennett.

When reviewing music that didn’t quite fit into what they considered “good”, Rolling Stone reviewers tended to make high-minded,
David
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: champagne
Great source of music (Western Rock) up until 1979. Very critical at times. "Third-rate pop-rock from the Progressive Seventies, which proves that neither Elvis Presley nor Alan Freed made a damn bit of difference: there's still one born every minute, and most of them become record company executives." or "The only mystery about this horrible Seattle-area rock band is how it ever got to make two albums." But a great source for historical views on music of that era.
Eric Hines
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music, rock, jazz, blues, gospel
Opinionated? Yes. But that's what we came for. Marsh et al treat a wide variety of music from a distinctively American standpoint. Of course, it was put together in the 1980s, so there's much missing, but still a fine resource and a great way to get turned on to some new old music.
Phil Overeem
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lots of forgotten goodies discussed here, but also much time wasted on dross, and much verbiage wasted on put-downs. Now for the best; later for the garbage. However, this was my second full reading. The first, back when it came out, put me nicely on my way to exploring rock--and encouraged me to dig other genres, too. I am thankful for that.
Kozmo Kliegl
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first of a wonderful series to actually grade albums and vital because later editions no longer have some very important artists of the late 70s, a title or two are still only available on 8-track despite the CD is now over 30 years old (1978, just a year before this book came out). The 1st of the Rolling Stone Magazine vital Trilogy of Rock (the Encyclopedia & Rock of Ages being the others)
CAC
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great
This first edition was very critical, very opinionated and often snide. Dave Marsh was like a razor. I read it incessantly.
Distress Strauss
Jul 25, 2007 rated it liked it
Dave Marsh really doesn't like Vangelis.
Phil Foster