Start by marking “Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles, #7)” as Want to Read:
Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles, #7)

Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles #7)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  601 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Dido Twite is finally back home in London. This time she's woven herself into a web of skullduggery that includes a mysterious double for the king, the miraculous healing powers of music, the pomp of royal celebration, and a spy network made up of street urchins.
Published April 1st 1988 by Yearling (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Dido and Pa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dido and Pa

Jackie
I first read this book (this entire series) fourteen years ago. Since then, it's been one of my favorite books of all time and Dido Twite one of my favorite characters. Dido and Pa is the Silver Chair of the Wolves Chronicles. It's darker, more complex, and it asks some very good questions. Most importantly:

How can somebody write such music - and act so?

I can see why Joan Aiken shifted focus to Is for a couple books, and then returned to Dido's earlier adventures. Between the opening and the clo
Kirsten
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another volume in the wonderful series that began with The Wolves of Wiloughby Chase. Dido Twite is finally joyfully reunited with her old friend Simon, who is now the Duke of Battersea, only to be stolen away by her father before she and Simon can be properly reunited. Abednego Twite once again has a nefarious scheme to unseat King Richard, and he is determined that Dido will help him, like it or not. As always with the books in this series, Aiken neatly balances humor and grim reality, althoug ...more
Elizabeth Brush
all the weirds--also, the entrance of Is!
Books Kids Like
At Mrs. Bloodvessel's house in London, Dido learns of a Hanoverian plot to kill the heads of state and replace the king with an imposter named Van Doon. This imposter is staying at Margrave Eisengrim's house, and Dido is forced to teach him the king's speech and mannerisms. During the lessons, Dido tells Van Doon about the Margrave's deception. Meanwhile, the Margrave sends for Simon. He is away from home hunting wolves, and Sophie, Simon's twin sister, takes his place. Sophie's true identity is ...more
Hessie
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was really hard for me to decide between 4 and 5 stars for this one. It really was fantastic in so many ways! The reunion between Dido and Simon was wonderful! Old and new characters become even more endearing and the plot is engaging. This book is also dark and deep. I have read other reviewers who called Dido's pa one of the best written villains of all time and I agree with them! Mr. Twite is anything but flat and Dido's internal conflict about his true character is very thought provoking. ...more
eve
my favorite book in the series, probably because i read it later, in my twneties instead of in middle school. the tone and themes are definitely darker and more complicated. The most interesting part is Dido's relationship with her father and her very conflicted feelings toward him. She knows he's never up to any good, is neglectfully cruel, and a drunk, but she loves his music and can't forget that he is after all her father.

Contains my favorite Dido line ever: "Simon! We thought as you was ga
Windy2go
I love Joan Aiken. This little paperback was in the guest room bookshelf at my parents' house, so I picked it up. Joan is a quick read, zingy characters, fun plots. I had a good time reading Dido and Pa (and was sorry to discover that we did always mis-pronounce Dido's name -- it rhymnes with "Died-Oh" because the other characters occasionally called her "Died-Oh Fright". I was actually reading this book in the car on the way to the airport and didn't get the last few pages done! So I'm not enti ...more
Celeste Ng
Jun 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and wannabe kids
One of the things I like best about Joan Aiken's Wolves Chronicles is that none of the books feel alike: each deals with a completely separate world (Nantucket at the height of the whaling era; South American jungles crossed with Arthurian legend; rural England crossed with Carribean voodoo), and the plots and characters are so outlandish, that each book feels completely fresh. This was the first book where I realized that good people could die, which may be why it's stayed in my memory so clear ...more
Jenn Estepp
further adventures of dido twite. in this volume, she has barely made it back to london when her irascible father abducts her and involves her in the newest hanoverian plot. which of course must be thwarted, along with the help of simon, sophie and a host of homeless street urchins. slightly darker, in some ways, but also genuinely moving, dwelling in some deeper emotional territory than others in the series. neck and neck with "nightbirds" as my favorite in the series.
Liana
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite of the whole series. Has all of the characters, humor, darkness, quirky language, and mystery of all the others, but the bittersweet, complicated relationship between Dido and her father accompanies the intriguing plot like a secondary melody in one of Mr. Twite's masterfully-described musical compositions.
Jane
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew that Joan Aiken's Wolves of Willoughby Chase had ELEVEN pendant stories? I remember loving Black Hearts in Battersea nad Nightbirds on Nantucket, but what treasures I missed! Chugging happily through them all now. Dido Twite joins Madeline, Eloise, Nancy Drew and Harriet the Spy in the Pantheon of girl heroes.
Colette
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the earlier books in the series, but Dido sure has an adventurous life. These later books are more dark, have more horrific deaths, characters taking the Lord's name in vain. They seem to be for a little older audience than the first few, which were written in the 1960s.
Matthew Lindtveit
Best one of a great series.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
One of the best books in this series!
Anthony Faber
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wolves #7. This takes up right after "The Cuckoo Tree", with Dido getting mixed up in and foiling another plot against the British crown.
whalesister
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Book 4 of Aiken's Wolves series. See Wolves of Willowby Chase review.
Rebekah
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nathans-books
Amazing as are all of her books. We are on the last of the 7 book series. I expect it will be wonderful as well.
Jossalyn
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
love this author and this series. love dido twite. always stopped at the first 3 books before, and this first time reading this one. still delightful, but dido was at her best in nantucket, i think.
Callie
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just pure fun. It's very weird/British in a Doctor Who-sort of way.
Nigel
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-ya
Fun book. Horrible couple of days, so I don't feel like giving it a proper review. But it was a nice little escape from a lot of grimness and strain.
Brenda
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These characters are certainly growing on me...I wonder at the names and how they were chosen
Tiffany
Jul 13, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I am disappointed in the way this series has turned out. Very violent and unfun.
jennifer
these might be my favorite books of all books.
Squeaky
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I really did like this one the most, so far. The author's interesting use of language was, uh, interesting. And the story was good too!
Jan Yip
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another childhood favorite.....I LOVED Dido Twite!
Sharon Porter
Jun 19, 2014
Miss Mouse
Willoughby#8
Alexandra
Sep 09, 2007
Ae
Nov 08, 2008
  • In the Grip of Winter (Farthing Wood, #2)
  • The Turret (The Rescuers, #3)
  • The Wizard in the Tree
  • The Whisper of Glocken (The Minnipins, #2)
  • Grinny
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep
  • She Was Nice To Mice: The Other Side of Elizabeth I's Character Never Before Revealed by Previous Historians
  • The Trolley to Yesterday
  • The Pinhoe Egg  (Chrestomanci, #6)
  • To Visit the Queen (Cats of Grand Central, #2)
  • The Stones of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #6)
  • Hart and Boot and Other Stories
  • Fireweed
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • The Diddakoi
12075
Joan Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE has been in print for over 50 years with a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza. She was known as a writer of wild fantasy, Gothic novels and unforgettable short stories.
NEW COLLECTION 2016 - The People in The Castle https://www.goodread
More about Joan Aiken...

The Wolves Chronicles (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1)
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2)
  • Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3)
  • The Stolen Lake (The Wolves Chronicles, #4)
  • Dangerous Games (The Wolves Chronicles, #5)
  • The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)
  • Is Underground (The Wolves Chronicles, #8)
  • Cold Shoulder Road (The Wolves Chronicles, #9)
  • Midwinter Nightingale (The Wolves Chronicles, #10)
  • The Witch of Clatteringshaws (The Wolves Chronicles, #11)