Start by marking “Visionmongers: Making a Life and a Living in Photography” as Want to Read:
Visionmongers: Making a Life and a Living in Photography

Visionmongers: Making a Life and a Living in Photography

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  394 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
For those who want to make the transition into the world of vocational photography--staying true to your craft and vision, while fusing that craft with commerce VisionMongers is a great place to begin your journey. With a voice equally realistic and encouraging, photographer David duChemin discusses the experiences he's had, the lessons he's learned, and the practices he's ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by New Riders Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Visionmongers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visionmongers

Maya
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it
I think I read this book at the wrong time to be honest. If I could have read this two years ago when I jumped into photography it would have been a game changer. It is geared more towards the photographer considering getting into photography or trying to make the move to full time photography. I'm glad I read it because I can now recommend it to photographers starting out.

duChemin has some great wisdom on steps that are necessary to be in the photography industry and is very honest at how hard
Wayne Marinovich
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful account of the author's journey. It's not a step-by-step guide on how to make it as a photographer. There are plenty of those out there.

This is more of a philosophical account of how David duChemin makes a living following his passion. Well written with great case studies from other Visionmongers. Highly recommended
Gail
Dec 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
If you're so new to photography you've yet to shoot manual, are questioning whether you have it in you to start a business and/or have never heard of Twitter, let alone have an account, then the content of David duChemin's "VisionMongers" may just be revelationary to you.

If, on the other hand, you've been doing this for a while, check your social media accounts in your sleep and are pretty comfortable and/or confident in your photographic skills, well….not so much.

For me, the biggest factor in n
Rick Decorie
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book for those considering a career in photography, this book is full of ideas, stories, and information on what to do as well as what not to do. David is a gifted writer who has a passion for photography and helping others. This book will help you decide to go all the way, or stay where you are. Read the book, make the choice.
Relyn
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: newbie photographers
Recommended to Relyn by: I loved his other book
David Duchemin is a wonder and this book should probably be required reading for photographers who want to make a living at it. The subtitle to this book is "Making a Life and Living in Photography". Duchemin always prompts real thinking with his great questions. His photography is, of course, amazing, and he is a teacher in the best sense of the word. He shows and asks instead of telling and endlessly talking. I'd actually love to meet him.

Personally, this book wasn't as good as Within the Fra
Rebecca
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you are photographer considering going pro or even if you are already a professional photographer and just feel that you need some more direction in your business, this is a great read. This is not a technical photography book. This book assumes that you already know how to take good enough pictures to be a pro. But it does give some pretty solid advice on how to get your act together so you can make a living with your camera.

I highly recommend this book to all photographers, especially those
Heath Bouffard
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
So far this book is amazing if you are looking for some inspiration in learning the photography business. Although David deChemin says that, "This book isn't a a textbook, an encyclopedic checklist, or God-forbid-a system. It's more like a sketchbook of ideas, wisdom, and inspiration for photographers braving the water of vocational photography in particularly turbulent times." David is not try to make guidelines for every single photographer out there because he knows that everybody is differen ...more
Whiiiskey
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Definitely a must read for any photographer who dreams about one day making a career out of it. Don't read this book if you're looking for any secrets. Every story is about a lot of hard work, persistence and even then you need some luck. If after reading this book you're still optimistic then you probably have the right personality to do it.

Why'd I dock it one star? The book is full of success stories. I think it would have been nice to read about a few horror stories to better illustrate the
Meghan
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
a fantastic 'real world' look at photography ,but could easily be about architecture, art, painting.... any artistic passion.

I thought I would skim this book, but I read it cover to cover, in one sitting.

I love the interviews with the photographers, and I love the organic feeling of how it was written -- much less like a manual, and much more like I had a one on one conversation with David Duchemin.

HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended.
Francesca Russell
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
A bit slow-going and general at first, but once you get past what you already know (yes, you have to be talented, lucky and well-connected to succeed as a photographer), the lessons about marketing and finding a focus for your work, are very helpful indeed.
Douglas
May 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the book you need to read if you want to work with passion in photography and not just as a hobby. The only downside: this book can't make you go do your work, it can only inspire you to do so.
Nick Kjeldgaard
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library
A great book with amazing stories. It does seem a bit generic with the advice it gives at the beginning, but once you get past that it gives great advice on marketing and branding yourself. A good book for any photographer!
Deigh
Nov 26, 2009 rated it did not like it
I would give 5 stars to the photographs in this book both by Duchemin and the contributors but the writing just did not grab me and I found it repetitive to the point of boredom.
Lloyd Barnes
Jun 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great advice and inspiration for anyone considering becoming a professional photographer.
Alastair Arthur
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love David's focus on the importance of vision, mixed with practical advice on making a business work.
Nelly
Cindy Greatrex
May 22, 2018
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • Best Business Practices for Photographers
  • Michael Freeman's Perfect Exposure: The Professional's Guide to Capturing Perfect Digital Photographs
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • Visual Poetry: A Creative Guide for Making Engaging Digital Photographs
  • Fine Art Wedding Photography: How to Capture Images with Style for the Modern Bride
  • Simon: Passionate Photographer _p1
  • Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers
  • Picture Perfect Practice: A Self-Training Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Taking World-Class Photographs (Voices That Matter)
  • Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with Or Without a Macro Lens
  • Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
  • On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
  • The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book for Digital Photographers
  • Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography
  • Tao of Photography: Seeing Beyond Seeing
  • Digital Wedding Photography: Capturing Beautiful Memories
  • Photography Q&A: Real Questions. Real Answers.
David duChemin is a world & humanitarian photographer, best-selling author, and international workshop leader.
More about David duChemin

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“Consider this your permission to indulge that inner anarchist. Stop following the path you ought to take; follow instead the one you long to take.” 6 likes