Start by marking “Lessons From a Scarlet Lady (Northfield, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lessons From a Scarlet Lady (Northfield, #1)

Lessons From a Scarlet Lady

(Northfield #1)

N No real lady should take lessons from a scarlet woman...

The Duke of Rolthven's new wife, Brianna, is the perfect aristocratic bride. So what would society say if they saw her with a copy of Lady Rothburg's Advice—a courtesan's lessons for the boudoir? When his innocent wife suddenly becomes a vixen in the bedroom, the proper Duke is truly astounded by her seductive power
Published January 5th 2010 by Signet (first published November 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lessons From a Scarlet Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons From a Scarlet Lady

Start your review of Lessons From a Scarlet Lady (Northfield, #1)
Rane
Jan 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Brianna has been married to Duke of Rolthven, Colton for a few months, and although she knows he cares for her, there is still something lacking in their marriage, scared he may turn to another woman in time, Brianna takes it upon herself with the help of a book Lady Rothburg's Advice--a courtesan's lessons for love in order to win her husband over in bed and later win his heart!

This was a sexy and cute read, with something not written much about married couples, Emma Wildes takes a swing with
Daniella
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lessons From a Scarlet Lady was not perfect. The biggest problem for me would be the lukewarm love scenes. The sex lacked the appropriate amount of heat needed by the story to make an impact. Mind you, this was a book about seduction, revolving around the sexual exploration between Brianna and Colton. In my opinion, the lack of intensity in this area was very underwhelming.

Nevertheless, this novel still managed to win me over with its good writing, and well developed, likeable characters. The p
Catherine
Brianna, wife to the Duke of Rolthven, has bought a copy of a banned book. The book, "Lady Rothburg's Advice", was written by a courtesan and helps the reader learn how to please a man and keep his attention. Brianna has been married for three months and is determined to please her husband, Colton, in every way so that he will never look to a mistress.

Brianna and Colton have a content marriage, but Brianna hopes that they can grow together and that possibly her husband will fall in love with he
Ivy H
I loved this book ! It was sexy, romantic, sweet and also filled with engaging minor characters who had their own interesting little story lines.

This was about a couple that's newly married. The hero, a hot sexy Duke, is a very outwardly conservative guy who lives a dignified life. He thinks he needs to maintain a certain image because he inherited the title when he was a teenager and doesn't want to bring any embarrassment to the family name. He has his rakish younger brother who is more than
Aly is so frigging bored
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hh-duke, historical
1st read: 17-19 April 2014
I didn't expect to like it, but I did! I really, really did.

2nd read: 3-4 January 2017
Possibly buddy-read with Maru :)
Luana
Jan 28, 2021 rated it liked it
I would have given this book a higher rate if not for the fact that it was two romances combined. So, every chapter you were in the mind of a different couple. Which means, 4 minds throughout the book. I was much more interested in the married couple, and I believe if the author had written two separate books it would have been much better. But well, that is what we have.

PS: very steamy romance
Katie(babs)
Jan 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Brianna and Colton have been married for three months. Their marriage is built on respect and care for one another. Colton has a reputation of being cold and straight laced because of his status as the Northfield, the fifth Duke of Rolthven. He’s one of the wealthiest men in England and his wife thinks of him as her dashing prince. But as a new wife to such a man, she has doubts, which leads her to wonder if she can keep Colton satisfied and happy in bed, because many men like him to turn to mis ...more
Lindsay
A very quick, fun light read. I liked the duel story lines and liked all four of the main characters. It was a little annoying with the mixup between the hero and heroine but luckily it wasn't really drawn out and was resolved quickly. This is my first book by Emma Wildes and will definitely pick up more. ...more
ChasingLeslie
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Brianna Northfield is the perfect aristocratic bride, but she wants more from her marriage than sharing meals and polite sex. When she finds a scandalous book of advice written by a former courtesan, she takes those lessons straight to the bedroom. Colton, the very stuffy Duke of Rolthven, is perplexed and intrigued by his young wife's new behaviors. Where in the world had she learned such things?

This is the second book I have read by this author and both have featured a main and secondary love
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
This is kind of terrible. Clunky dialogue, anachronistic language, the characters blend into one another, the sex is pretty fruity, there’s precious little plot. I cannot recommend it.

Yet, I read it straight through over two nights. I was passably engaged. The plot and the writing asked nothing of me and perhaps that’s exactly what I needed.

It’s a dual romance with two sets of H/h who pretty much get equal billing. The ‘plot’ centres around both our heroines reading a scandalous sex/relationship
sraxe
This book is passable. Brianna and Colton were boring and most of their interactions were of a sexual nature. It got real boring, real fast. The only characters that were even remotely interesting were Rebecca and Robert...but that's not saying much considering everyone else. Even with them being okay, it's not worth it because Rebecca and Robert's story was really just standard fare.

I didn't think Colton could do anything worse than being boring. But then he did. When he wonders where Brianna l
Zumbagirl
HOT HOT HOT! Two love stories. Friendship. Brothers. Very cute:)

Honestly, I picked this up because I liked the premise: married woman (Brianna) wants to add more spice and romance to her marriage and get her husband (Colton) to spend more time with her. Lady R, a former courtesan, had written a book that gives instructions to women on this subject. It was banned but Brianna found it, read it and proceeded to use it to "seduce" Colton. Her husband, the super starchy hero, was appreciative of her
Jenny
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Heroine is crazy in love with her husband. Their sex life is pleasant but not adventurous. She buys the book of a renowned courtesan so as to seduce her husband, make him fall in love with her and never seek a mistress.

However, her husband is suspicious. He can't understand how his innocent shy wife became a sexy siren and he believes she is cheating on him. At that point he realizes he is in love with his young bride!

Great historical romance. Brianna is a very sweet and warm heroine. I liked
Sammy
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book ... it was refreshing

I mean , with all those tips & the reactions it brought ... it was so much fun , I adore both couples ... they were perfect for each other . And i loved these ladies boldness... it was so fun to read , for once where they took the charge and made things happen , rather than wait for their heroes .. who might would have been late ...
Mou
Good writing. Nothing especial.
Tina
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very Cute book.

Brianna has been married to her husband The Duke of Rolthven for just a few months and she finds marriage very satisfactory. She also means to keep it that way. She is determined that her husband never has to stray outside of marriage. To that end, she gets her hands on a very scandalous book written by someone named Lady Rothburg. Lady R. gives young wives and women tips on not only how to please their men in the bedroom but also insights on the male psyche.

With book in hand, Bri
Becca
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: too-graphic
This was a sweet read with some graphic sex scenes thrown in. I've read Emma Wildes before for her historical romance and I've enjoyed them for their sweetness and easy readability. Wildes also writes erotica, which I typically avoid. In this story, I don't think Wildes could make up her mind about whether she was writing historical romance or erotica so we got a bit of both.

Like another Wildes book I read, this one also has two parallel romances going on. We switch between Brianna and Colton, a
Cheesecake
Very proper Colton and his new young bride, Briana.
Kind of an elongated version of EW's 'the letter'. Colton's a very stuffy but decent guy... oh yeah, and handsome of course. Briana, his beautiful young new bride, wants their marriage to be a true joining and not spending their days apart and only seeing each other at dinner. Then there's the quick matings in the dark with their night clothes still on. Marriage has to be better than this! And she does care for Colton. So when she finds an infam
Karen
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical romance readers
This is a fantastic historical romance.....a little bit more sensual than most....but that's sometimes just what I'm after.
Brianna Northfield is newly married to the very respectable Duke of Rolthven, Colton. She decides she doesn't want a husband who once she produces the required heir will move on to a mistress. Whilst she enjoys her time in the marriage bed with Colton, she'd like to spice things up a little to ensure his undivided and faithful attention.
She purchases a copy of the banned nov
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical romance fans
Shelves: historical
This book was too, too cute!

Well-bred, proper Brianna Northfield has decided she's not quite as fullfilled in her marriage as she should be. She loves her husband, but yearns for more passion than her proper husband has been showing her. Armed with a how-to manual written by a notorious courtesan, Brianna sets out to shake up her very prim husband's world.

I love the fact that this story takes place between an already married couple. This pretty much allows the author to hit the ground running in
Lindsey
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lessons from a Scarlet Lady is a little different than most of the historical romances I read. There are TWO love stories running through the book. Brianna and her husband Colton the Duke of Rolthven and his younger brother Lord Robert Northfield and Brianna’s childhood best friend Rebecca Marston. Both stories build on top of one of another. I was worried that there would not be enough detail to each couple but I was happily surprise that each couple had a lot detail and depth.

Brianna and Colto
Kari Kaz
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hist-rom-fic

This is a steamy historical romance of two different couples.
Brianna and Colten, the Duke of Rolthven have been married three months. Brianna is madly in love with her husband, but she decides she needs to spice things up in the bedroom, since her duke is sweet but a bit stuffy. She secretly buys a book written by a well-known courtesan giving advice on marriage, sex and relationships. She follows the suggestions in the book and manages to capture the Duke's attention in every way. Their intera
Lucy Qhuay

Well, this was a big disappointment.

I was expecting something more atmospheric, if you know what I mean. After all, this is the story of a woman who uses the teachings of a renowned courtesan, written in a notorious book, to seduce her husband and spice their sex life and, hopefully, make him fall in love with her.

However, the hero was so damn uptight that all felt forced and awkward to me.

In one moment he completely fell for Brianna's schemes and quite thoroughly ravished her and the next he
Kathleen
Jan 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. This is the type of book that is perfect to me. I enjoyed all the character's and the story line surrounding them. The book had plenty of heat, the love's scenes were fantastic. I found myself smiling a lot while reading and I did shed a tear of two. Everyone was happy at the end, just an all around great book.

I like some of the other reviewer wish that Emma will write Damien's story too.

This was my first Emma Wildes book and it will not be my last.
Sangria
Well I thought this was a fun, sexy and sensual read and I loved, loved all of the four characters.

Yes I said four. I usually dont like having another couple in my main book, but it really worked for me here and it never seemed to overpower either couples story.

We’re introduced right away to Brianna and Colton.

Colton is my favorite kind of Duke. He knows he’s incrediably handsome, but honestly has no time for it. He’s broody, determined, all business all the time and truly married out of duty. H
cathleen ッ
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars

why, yes, of course i enjoyed it very very very much. mainly because i picked this to serve that purpose (also because regency romances were my shit since 2 years ago and proudly, the genre that really got me into reading)

the beginning did kind of threw me off but as i delved deeper into the book, i was reminded of the reasons why i used to prefer these novels. i just feel fully equipped with adult knowledge after reading (those under the shade that no adult i know would blatantly tell
Mikachan
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Robert and Rebecca deserved a book
Rose May
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-minus, library
Note: This review, and all my reviews, comes from my blog - Romantic Rose's Bookshelf (http://romantic-rosesblog.blogspot.com)

This book was adorable from start to finish. It tells the story of two best friends, Brianna Northfield and Rebecca Marston, married and single respectively. Brianna is the wife of Colton, the Duke of Rolthven. She feels he treats her distantly, and is especially disappointed with the careful nature of their lovemaking. She knows she loves him, and its her goal to make su
Lubnaa (Romance Library)
Brianna & Colton's story = 4/5
Rebecca and Robert's story = 3/5

Overall: 3.5/5

Okay, before you start reading this book, you should know that there are in fact two love stories in it. I love Brianna and Colton, but I have mixed feelings towards Rebecca and Robert.

Let me start by saying that Lady Rothburg's book piqued my curiosity lol

I like how Brianna decided to take control on her sexual relationship with Colton. She wanted passion in bed, but he wanted to be the 'gentleman' in bed. Being the stu
Sana
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sana by: Cheryl
Shelves: read-in-2011
Lessons From a Scarlet Lady was a recommended read and I found it a very enjoyable and a sexy read. I rarely find a good enough synopsis of historical romances which capture my interest enough to make me read them. But I found the story to be highly intriguing and a page turner which is why I finished it in less than a day.

The main protagonists, Brianna and Colton, are truly very engaging. While Brianna kept me engrossed throughout in what she was about to do next; I also anticipated Colton's r
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • The Marriage Bed (Guilty, #3)
  • The Rake (Lessons in Love, #1)
  • The Serpent Prince (Princes Trilogy, #3)
  • Lady Audácia (Damas de Aço Livro 1)
  • An Affair in Winter (Seasons #1)
  • The Other Duke (The Notorious Flynns, #1)
  • A Touch of Passion (The Disgraced Lords, #3)
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends, #1)
  • The Hazards of Hunting a Duke (Desperate Debutantes, #1)
  • The Abduction of Julia (Rogues, #1)
  • To Seduce A Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • A Devil of a Duke (Decadent Dukes Society, #2)
  • The Rakehell of Roth (Everleigh Sisters, #2)
  • A Spring Deception (Seasons #2)
  • The Viscount and the Vixen (Hellions of Havisham, #3)
Emma was born in Minnesota and she lives in the Midwest, though she grew up in Albuquerque, New Mexico. She attended Illinois State University where she majored in geology, and there she met her husband, Chris. They have three children, a temperamental cat named Poot, and are lucky enough to live on a beautiful lake. On warm days, she does enjoy a glass of wine on the dock now and then, and always ...more

Northfield (2 books)
  • Twice Fallen (Ladies in Waiting, #2)