Start by marking “The Budapest Protocol” as Want to Read:
The Budapest Protocol

The Budapest Protocol

"If this novel was a handbag, it would be a black Chanel--beautifully made, perfect for every occasion and just a little old-fashioned (in a good way)."--"The Times" (London)

"A first class political thriller."--Alan Furst

Set in Nazi-occupied Hungary in the winter of 1944 and present-day Budapest as the election campaign for the new president of Europe begins, Adam LeBor
Published October 19th 2010 by Reportage Press (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Budapest Protocol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Budapest Protocol

Start your review of The Budapest Protocol
Mentai
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this five stars for its commitment to justice for the Roma in central and eastern Europe, for LeBor's incredibly well researched content (from history of Nazi money to Euro politics), and for its intrigue, which kept me reading. The blurb says it's set in Nazi-occupied Budapest, and while that era continues to haunt the protagonist and the city (not to mention the racism present in Hungary today), the vast majority of the book is set in the present and revolves around a set of ...more
Ian Brydon
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those serendipitous discoveries. I had never heard of this novel, or its author Adam LeBor, and came across it entirely by chance, spotting it in the middle of a list of recommendations thrown up by Amazon. Being a reckless sort of chap at heart I threw caution to the wind and stumped up the necessary 99 pence with scarcely a moment's hesitation, and found myself reaping heavy dividends.

The encomia cited in the publisher's blurb compared it to le Carre at his finest. I am not
Chris Ioannou
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although it took me a few tries to get in to this due to other commitments, as soon as I had the time to read this I struggled to put the damn book down! Liked the idea and concept of the story. Even if perhaps a little predictable, still had me on the edge of my seat at the climax!
I think something like this could make a great TV series.
Margaret
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
A good political thriller, set in Budapest circa 2011. The protagonist`s grandfather has just been murdered and he ( a journalist) is determined to find out why. It all stems back to the Nazi occupation. The countries in the European Union are about to vote in the first president of Europe. The main candidate has been put up by German industrialists, who have been surreptitiously buying up as much European industry and as many banks as they can, with help from the Swiss, so that in effect they ...more
Btetlow
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A well written and engaging book. Biased maybe because I loved Budapest.

A great and very realistic tale that is so relevant to the workings of todays world. A great reminder of our duties as citizens and that just because we have democracy doesn't mean we can sit back and trust everything will be OK.

Journalists cum writers always have a unique perspective of world events, and Adam LeBor has captured the tale of a realistic alternative future.
Marcia Ditter
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I came across this book one day while looking for books on my Nook.
It is about Budapest during WWII and the persecution of the Jews and it is about current time and the persecution of the Romas.
Instead of taking over by war, a group of people have a plan to take over financially, by use of the internet, sterilization of people they consider to be inferior.
Ben Marshall
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this book quite a struggle due to the nature of the writing. The story itself was very predictable and I found the writing very boring. Everything every character says is just so cliched and has been done a thousand times before. Its a pity as the subject matter is rather interesting.
Ric Parks
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
If you're visiting Budapest, this is a good read to get a feel for cultural and political forces and some good suggestions for food and coffee. Otherwise there are probably better thrillers to spend your time with.
Annemiek Smedinga
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spannend tot het eind.
goed verhaal.
Donald Schopflocher
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Timely but very clunky thriller partially redeemed by detailed Budapest settings and history.
Giuseppe
Apr 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The premisses are interesting, but the book is poorly written with characters that aren't intriguing and unable to make the reader to be interested in them. The only thing worth is the accurate description of how Fascism has widespread in Central-East Europe post Communism and the corruption in those countries. Also the discrimination of Roma minorities is credible, but the EU as a Nazi creation is typical of the worst Brexiters propaganda. Germany has generate antibodies to nazi-fascism, that ...more
Andrew Brown
Apr 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
I think the idea of this story is devastating, especially if true!..however it doesn't really work as a fictional recounting of what might be real history.
There are too many coincidences along the way to get the hero to the hotel...and coincidences are a weak story hook.
The main problem I have though is that if this is real history, how are we ever going to be free again?

I voted against us staying in the Common Market back in 1975 and to think now that it is the '4th Reich' makes me realize
Tony Calder
Adam LeBor has a keen interest in the financial side of the Third Reich - he has written some history books on the subject - and that interest is clearly on show in this novel. The novel is generally well-written, and the characters are believable. For the first two thirds of the book. The final third, however, is a different story. The plot starts to require more suspension of disbelief than I could give, and several of the characters start making decisions that are highly unlikely. And the ...more
Mark
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Part Dan Brown style thriller, part financial history of the Third Reich, The Budapest Protocol fell between the cracks of both. It dragged a bit too much to be a gripping thriller, and muddied the waters too much between fact and fiction to be a solid study of Nazi politics and resurrection.

Worth a read but could have been better.
Olivia
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
From the first sentence on it's clear that this author usually writes non fiction. The style is dry and factual and doesn't read like a novel. This bothered me and made it unable for me to really get into the story.
The story is simple: there's a nazi plot to control Europe financially even after they've lost the war.
Stephen
dark political thriller based in modern day hungary and based around a nazi plot to control europe by financial means after losing ww2 and this plan was devised in Budapest and when alex finds his grandfather has been murdered this is the journey in to the dark side of politics and people's hatred well worth reading
Judie
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good read from a non-fiction writer. The book was very interesting as it is a combination of fact and fiction which I always enjoy. The locale, being Hungary, is different and immigration policies as well as the Roma populations are presently in the news throughout the EU. I'll definitely read more by Adam LeBor.
Jörn Dinkla
May 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crap, fiction
Germans are too stupid to found a company with an international name in a county other than germany? they can't. bribe a hungarian politician with a hungarian name, instead they bribe a guy called Sanzlerman? This book is so far from reality ...
Glenn Altman
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A frightening story

"If you can imagine it, someone is out there trying to do it."
That is what makes this book so scary. Taking the basic rights of citizens away for the purpose of increased power for the benefit of the few is hair raising.
Ola
Aug 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
I didn't like "The Budapest Protocol" at all. I found it very naive and predictable, with "twists" that were far too obvious. Characters are not well developed, conversations between them are unnatural. The book is just one big, boring cliche.
Tânia Girão
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story, that take us to a 1944 Budapest and Budapest from today, a political thriller that

Almost make us want to believe in conspiracy theories, mostly because it's somehow based in real facts.
Boris Feldman
Apr 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unable-to-finish
Couldn't finish it.
He is a successful non-fiction author who does not possess the literary skills necessary to write a novel.
Lucy
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A compelling political thriller with a diabolical conspiracy. Loved it.
Grahambootle
Apr 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
plodding and predictable. major plot holes. awful dialogue. motorcycles being reversed into things! not read a book this bad for a long time
Vítor Gomes
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Uma ficção política aterradoramente credível e a jogar às escondidas com a Europa que temos. Recomendo
Graeme Thomson
based on an interesting premise and fairly readable but my interest seemed to have begun and ended with the settings.
Donna Irwin
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A well plotted suspense novel that was a bit too realistic in aces!
Magda
Apr 21, 2013
Gill Watson
Nov 24, 2015

• Eminent Hipsters
  • Uncommon People: The Rise and Fall of the Rock Stars 1955-1994
  • Death of a Red Heroine (Inspector Chen Cao #1)
  • Red Mandarin Dress (Inspector Chen Cao #5)
  • The Best of Our Spies
  • The Man From Berlin (Gregor Reinhardt, #1)
  • Ocean of Words
  • Red China Blues: My Long March From Mao to Now
  • Flashman in the Great Game (The Flashman Papers, #5)
  • 聖☆おにいさん 1 [Saint Onii-san 1]
  • xkcd: volume 0
  • The Story of the Stone (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #2)
  • The Initiate (Time Master, #1)
  • The Master (Time Master, #3)
  • Throne of the Crescent Moon (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, #1)
  • Bridge of Birds (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #1)
  • The Outcast (Time Master, #2)
  • Royal Flash (The Flashman Papers, #2)
Adam LeBor was born in London and read Arabic, international history and politics at Leeds University, graduating in 1983, and also studied Arabic at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He worked for several British newspapers before becoming a foreign correspondent in 1991. He has reported from thirty countries, including Israel and Palestine, and covered the Yugoslav wars for The Times of London ...more