Start by marking “Kid Made Modern” as Want to Read:
Kid Made Modern

Kid Made Modern

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Do-it-yourselfers ages five and up can go retro with enough projects by legendary designer Oldham to fill entire rooms. Taking inspiration from mid-century designers and artists such as Charles and Ray Eames, Marimekko, Alexander Girard and Dorothy Draper, Oldham revisits modernism in the new millennium. Bold, vibrant and kid friendly, these projects provide days of fun fo ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Ammo Books

To ask other readers questions about Kid Made Modern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kid Made Modern

Rebecca
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rebecca by: Julie
Loved everything I saw paging through this. Includes "All About" sections that explain the basics of art materials and techniques (i.e., oil paint vs. acrylic vs. gouache; serif vs. sans serif; lithography vs. silkscreen). I have never seen a kids' book explain these things, much less in such a visual, straightforward way. There is even an "All About Cleanup" section! <3 <3 <3

Also includes small profiles of artists and designers (presented in the style of their work), as well as 52 awes
Reno
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a really creative book. I actually made some of the things in my grandpas house!! Its awesome you can take a look in the elementary library!! Or buy it of course this is a fun book to read I recommend this to you!!
Barb
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-ya, hobbies
What a fun book! I love arts and crafts and this was a fun throwback to when kids actually MADE stuff with their own two hands. I liked how there were featured artists who can inspire us and how their ideas can be made new and current. I think every kid would enjoy making one or two of these projects. I made the zine book already and realized that I had done these before. I am old, so I forget what I know sometimes! I tried out the paper Light Cubes just for fun because I like origami and I have ...more
B
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, she-s-crafty
such a great book!
I love the way this book is structured as both an intro to artists AND a collection of fun craft project tutorials. It opens the door for kids to want to learn more about a great group of artists, and explores a nice variety of projects (scale, media, difficulty). Also love that these projects are something that could appeal to older kids (even up into middle school, maybe early high school?) as projects they could do themselves, but they also function well as something parents
Ami
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Some decent projects, many sort of ugly or not entirely doable (just have a parent sew this pillowcase for you?) or superfluous, as many craft books tend to be. I liked the pages they had focusing on each medium, and the pages focusing on the designers, but I didn't like that the projects didn't seem to correspond as well with the designers as they thought. Good link farm/book list at the end. Sill not entirely sure what their definition of "modern" is, though, and I'm not sure that someone one- ...more
Maya
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love love love this book! We read through it with our son and he loved it too. Basically it's a craft book but I love how they set up each section with information on an artist, architect, graphic artist, etc. The projects then reflect the work of that artist. It gives parents a rundown of the basics of paint, tape and all kinds of stuff you can use in creating the pieces. Some of that seemed basic but I have to remember that I'm married to an artist so that's why I know that stuff. Our son pick ...more
Cailean
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Todd Oldham is a wonderful retro-modern designer, and put his talents to use in this great book. It's geared towards older kids and/or parents, and is full of unique and "do-able" ideas. I read his other book, "Handmade Modern," and it didn't quite have as many innovative projects as this one. It was mostly furniture. I recommend this book to those who like bright and colorful projects, ones that you may not have seen anywhere else (foil-covered dried pasta, made to look silver, then strung into ...more
Green Bean
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
World class designer Todd Oldham turns his eagle art eye to kidlife as he coaches classy kids and parents on constructing fancy Luis Barragán-inspired color forts, Annie Albers tin-foil ball bangles, and, of course, Alexander Calder-Mobiles! Includes an inquiry into the meaning of modern, color-mixing exercises and a meditation on inspiration. Kid Made Modern is one good-looking craft book!
Andi
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
While some of the projects are kind of 'been there, done that" some are also really charming and never get old. Perfect for rainy days, snowy days, too-hot-to-be-outside days...we found it in the library, which gives us a good perspective on the projects as the 'money bias' didn't get in the way...also great for kids on the spectrum!
Elizabeth
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best craft books I've ever read! The ideas are easy, inexpensive, and not geared too young. Great information about artistic techniques and various modern artists. I couldn't enjoy this book more!
Rose
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The best kids diy arts/crafts book I've found ever. Briefly introduces modern artists and designers, then shows how to make things inspired by their work put in really up-to-date ways and styles. Andy, you'll want to see this one.
Shannon Kitchen
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
There were some really cute crafts in this book. Some of them would be more time intensive than is feasable in a storytime or craft program. However, I am going to try some of them myself. Pom-Pom rug, here I come!
Autumn
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Anybody who likes modernism will enjoy these craft projects. Most of them are pretty simple. And this is a great way to make sure your kid is bougie enough to know who Anni Albers is in grade school.
Heidi
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is an awesome craft book, but so much more. There are brief bios of famous mid-century designers that offer context for various projects. There are also tips on tools and supplies, even clean-up. An excellent and fun resource.
marmix
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! These projects are a lot more do-able than those in his Hand Made Modern title, but every bit as great! I'll be using the "Tape Tote" instructions for a teen program here later this month.
Julyan
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I LOVE this book! It's fun and a great way to introduce young children to fantastic art and learn to appreciate how art can be assimilated into our daily lives!
Julie
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Becky O'Neil
awesome craft ideas for tweens and teens
Ashley
May 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: preschool-set
Some fun craft suggestions in this book- kids enjoyed looking through the pictures and choosing a few projects. Good stuff.
David Gallin-Parisi
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Easy to understand, easy to make, and easy to stun people with this book's projects. Todd Oldham scores in a major way.
Andrea
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tweens
Great craft book, probably for the tween/teen age group. Some of the stuff is not realistic for a library setting, but some crafts are pretty neat!
Meghan Hunt
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: craft-book
This is a great book to get ideas for teen crafts. My favorite craft ideas are the duct tape belt, the duct tape tote, the zine, bubble wrap painting, cork jug, spoon puppets, and washer bracelet.
Maggie
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I hope Rosalie wants to make some of this stuff some day.
Robin
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
awesome book with fantastic projectst that kids can do.
great explanations of art materials
and great tie-ins/relationships to fine art/artists
Emily
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3rd-5th
Craft ideas for older elementary school students by Todd Oldham
Sara D
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: prof-development
Cool stuff to inspire here, but nothing my little ones could follow through on in their entirety. More for teens or families. Got some good ideas though!
Cricket
rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2013
Lee
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
really like, large, colorful pictures and creative
like "message wheel" idea for kids craft
Jul 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jacky Todd Oldham is an American fashion designer originally from Corpus Christi, Texas. He hosted a segment called "Todd Time" on MTV's House of Style in the 1990s. He produced a clothing line associated with the Warner Brothers Batman Forever. Oldham designs furniture and home accessories for the La-Z-Boy Furniture company and was named creative director for Old Navy effective Oct. 1, 2007.

Oldha
More about Todd Oldham...