Start by marking “Ice Diaries: The True Story of One of Mankind's Greatest Adventures” as Want to Read:
Ice Diaries: The True Story of One of Mankind's Greatest Adventures

Ice Diaries: The True Story of One of Mankind's Greatest Adventures

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  176 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews

Now, for the first time, the Captain of the submarine USS Nautilus tells the newly declassified story of his ship's Cold War underwater adventure in the race beneath the polar ice pack.

The Cold War was in full swing. The Soviet Union had just successfully launched Sputnik, and President Eisenhower badly wanted to redeem the reputation of the US as technologically superior

Kindle Edition
Published (first published July 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ice Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Diaries

Bill Subalusky
A heroic tale of nuclear sailers who took a submarine the size of a several story building hundreds of miles beneath the polar ice cap for the first time in history, manuevering with the technology of fiftey years ago, and navigating along an uncharted sea floor with only twenty feet beneath the keel and eight feet above the highest point on the sub. Unfortunately, the story of these heroes is not well told in this book. The writing style resembles that of a high school compostion and the senten ...more
Marianne
Aug 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of the first submarine to cross from the Pacific to the Atlantic under the polar ice cap, this is told in a rather dry manner but is still a fascinating story.
Denise
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, history
I was too little in 1958 to be aware of the worry about Russia launching the first satellite, or our first rockets blowing up on the launch pad, or even the existence of the Cold War. In fact we may not even have had a TV yet. So I certainly wasn't aware of the hoopla associated with the first submarine passing from the Pacific to the Atlantic by way of the North Pole. However, being married to someone who came really close to signing up for the submarine service, dissuaded not by claustrophobia ...more
Iris
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Undersea Oddessey

Fascinating piece of nautical history! I now understand more fully the importance of the Nautilus and her ear!y voyages of exploration under the polar ice pack. It is written in an easily understood memoir style and even the technical aspects of the ship and her historical voyages are explained understandably!
Reviewer from Terra
Decent

An amazing mission carried out by a brave crew in the first nuclear powered vessel in history. The Nautilus will remain part of US history forever.
Doug Mitchell
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great adventure book ... easy read that tells a key story in American naval history.
Phil
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book, which I discovered through the footnotes of Rickwood Field, read earlier. This is the unclassified tale of the first submarine to travel from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean by way of the North Pole, and that submarine was the USS Nautilus. My grandfather had the distinction of serving aboard this submarine just after the adventure retold here, so I appreciated the chance to see some of his world. Unfortunately, being told from the perspective of the commanding ...more
Joe White
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little too dumbded-down and somewhat overly rah-rah for service personnel. In all other respects it is a good reflection of underlying pressures on Eisenhower, particularly after Sputnik. It is also a very good accounting of the early difficulties of navigation at the pole before good charts and specific guidance systems were available. The reader can also see that rapid progress was occurring in undersea exploration.
I would have liked to have seen more specific technical details, however give
Eric
Aug 06, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Yes! One of my favorite childhood books was a 1960s reading textbook ('From Codes to Captains,' Harper & Row, 1960) that treated the voyage of the Nautilus at some length--a long story with multiple illustrations. One night, I left the book in my tree fort and it got all warped in the rain and my mom made me throw it away. But I remember this. The book also had an elaborately gory series of illustrations showing the many products Native Americans could derive from a buffalo carcass.
Mark Long
An incredible story that should never be forgotten. Sadly, this captain's memoir is practically unreadable. I'm all for giving shout-outs and thanks to the right people, but these make up entirely too much of the book, distracting from what should be a riveting narrative of technological mastery and old-fashioned derring-do.
Eric
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cold-war, history, navy
Wow, this has to be one of the best books I've ever read. The author is very articulate and has an ability to paint such a vivid picture that I felt I was right along side the Captain during the entire adventure.

This is a must read for any military, Navy, or sea-going history buffs. I highly recommend it.
Doc Kinne
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good expansion to the previous "Nautilus 90 North" written several years ago. Now the full story can be told.

I agree with other reviewers that the books is, at times, a bit over-the-top in terms of enthusiasm, but the 1958 trip WAS historic in many ways, so perhaps this can be forgiven.

If you're interested in naval history, submarines, or Cold War documentaries, this is a fine book.
Greg Tilford
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most fascinating historical accounts I have ever read. I always thought once the technology was available to stay under the ice for extended periods of time the trip over the top of the world was a simple one. This is far from the truth. Not only were there navigational issues to over come, but the political battles were significant. An excellent read.
George Wallace
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, Don is my co-author for Final Bearing and Firing Point, but even if I didn't know Don, it wouldn't change my review of Ice Diaries. Don's publisher nomiated him for a Pulitzer for this book for a reason. It is very well written. The research is solid. The writing is clear and concise. Highly recommemded for anyone interested in the early days of nuclear submarines.
BJ
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite interesting story of the first submarine passage beneath the polar ice cap. I kept looking for the quote from Anderson that Pres. Hinckley uses (God will always make a way), but it was not in the book
Matt
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Great read!
Victoria Wilson
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a really good book if you like suspense and old timey books. I give it a five XD
Evan
this book was very good!
Jolene
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cool to me because I was a baby while this was happening.
John
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome to read about this voyage.
Jeff
Feb 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enlightening. Be prepared for sidebar pat-on-the-back intro's each time new characters are brought into the story. Little cheesy on the edges, but a good read if you like history and secrets
Curtis Wold
Dec 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing what the "high" technology was for the first under the Arctic crossing.
Julie
Jan 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, easy read. Very interesting book about America's first nuclear submarine. Well written and enjoyable.
Margo
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was good....listened to the audio book. Ever since I read the kingdom of ice I've been interested In The exploration of the North Pole.
Wesley