Start by marking “Showcase Presents: Green Lantern, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Showcase Presents: Green Lantern, Vol. 1

Showcase Presents: Green Lantern, Vol. 1

(Showcase Presents)

A massive value-priced black and white collection featuring over 500 pages of classic tales from the Silver Age of DC Comics! A dying alien lands on Earth and picks the most fearless human, Hal Jordon, to wield a mighty emerald Power Ring and become the new Green Lantern of Space Sector 2814!
Published October 1st 2005 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Showcase Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Showcase Presents

Anne
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Anne by: Jeff
Let's face it, nobody gives a fuck about this review.
Why?
Because:
A) It's Green Lantern
and
B) It's from 1961

So why did I read all 558 pages of this mammoth black and white hunk of shitty nostalgia?
I basically made a deal with the devil.
For the purposes of this review JEFF is the devil.
I'm not even sure how it started, but somehow he conned me into a twisted bet. The terms of the bet were this:
If I couldn't get a picture of myself harassing a character (view spoiler)
Austin
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Green Lantern Fans
Recommended to Austin by: I Picked It Up When It Came Out
The late '50's and early '60's was an exciting time for comics, as the silver age was ushered in by the re-imaginings of both The Flash and Green Lantern. Unfortunately for fans, the stories that make up these early adventures are far too expensive to pick up, and even the hardcover reprints are a bit pricey.

Recently, DC began their "Showcase" series, producing black and white reprints of these classic stories in trade form, very similar to the "Essential" series of Marvel books. And now, final
Ryan
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
I absolutely *love* the idea of Green Lantern - a super-powerful corps of police officers who patrol the universe to keep it safe from harm. Part of what makes it so interesting as a result, for me, is that there is no one Green Lantern, but rather thousands, each with their own individual personality and abilities. It's a very rich storytelling milieu.

What makes reading Green Lantern difficult for me, though, is that one Green Lantern, Hal Jordan, seems to loom large in the minds of most reader
Matthew J.
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
There's a very different vibe to DC comics, and I think it's more than just that Green Lantern started in the 50s, as opposed to a lot of Marvel stuff from the 60s. It's just...different. What they share in common is being over-written, goofy, occasionally racist, awkwardly episodic, and overall not all that great. When there is a really interesting idea, it's quickly pushed aside. Like Superman and others, Green Lantern is constantly put up against something that seems unbeatable, and then he j ...more
Buddy
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gil Kane's art is wonderful.

John Broome's stories are another matter. He seems unconcerned with being very consistent or, even in the slightest, credible. And the melodrama romance is... so... so... painful.
Adam Graham
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book collects the first two twenty comics starring Hal Jordan as the Silver Age Green Lantern (Showcase #22-#24 and Green Lantern #1-#17).

Green Lantern Abin Sur's spaceship crashed on Earth and his power ring chose test pilot Hal Jordan as the Green Lantern. During the course of the book, the modern Green Lantern mythology begins to take hold. As it begins, the Guardians of the Galaxy are aloof even from regular Lanterns. By the end of the book, they're at least known. We're also told that
Michael
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is where the Silver Age Green Lantern began. Although the Green Lantern concept has gone through many changes over the past 50+ years since it was reintroduced to a then modern audience (i.e. late 1950s), it nevertheless remains popular, and the characters and concepts introduced in this book, including Hal Jordan, and the Green Lantern Corps are still used today. This series is also significant as it features a lengthy run by legendary artist Gil Kane, who drew many Marvel and DC char ...more
Ithlilian
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have finally finished this, and can't wait to read through the other four showcase collections. I really want to get into the newer lantern universe, but I want to completely understand everything before I do so.

Basically, this is the Silver Age collection of Green Lantern comics. These are on newspaper style paper, and are not in color. They were printed in a time where women fall in love with men instantly, and can't wait to be in the kitchen baking, so be prepared for that. Of course it is
Helmut
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superheroes
Gemischte Gefühle...

...hinterlässt dieser dicke Wälzer. Einerseits sind die Stories, wie fast alles, was DC in den 50ern und 60ern produziert hat, mit zu den langweiligsten, formelhaftesten und repetitivsten Comics, die ich kenne. Die Geschichten sind immer gleich aufgebaut, in praktisch jeder Geschichte kommt ein Gegner vor, der GLs Schwäche für Gelb ausnutzt (hier sehe ich allerdings nicht das Problem, das in der Exposition oben angesprochen wird, dass ein Schwarzweißdruck dies völlig zerstört
Jason Luna
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh, 60's DC. The characters all have to speak in declarative statements like "Carol doesn't know that me, Hal Jordan, and Green Lantern are the same person!" A lot of invasions from outer space, with races you're not supposed to remember the names of, because they never come back.

Somehow, the stories are simpler and with less recurring baddies AND NO MULTI-ISSUE ARCS, and yet the stories are SOMEHOW LONGER THAN MARVEL'S!

That being said, this Green Lantern debut book (1959-1963), is pretty good,
Ted Child
Feb 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
My knowledge of silver age comics, as well of Green Lantern, is sadly lacking. I have heard from quite a few people that Johns is doing good things with GL but I thought I would get some education before diving into that. I have to admit I really enjoyed this. These original issues are written in almost a completely different language from anything else I read, the language of boys and young men of 1960’s America. Of course, it has the comic book code stamp on the front, which means that the goo ...more
John Gentry
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I give this two stars instead of one only because I enjoy the ridiculous sci fi nature of the stories. silver age DC is something special and that isn't necessarily meant as a compliment.

the fact is; it was difficult to read through a lot of these for me. it was just TOO campy, stereotypical, and corny. now I still plan on picking up other volumes of silver age DC essentials to check them them out. once again its a moment in history that's important nonetheless (especially for comic fans) so tha
Drew
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
This may sound dumb, but there isn't much point to a b&w reproduction of Green Lantern comics. Colors are kind of the point.

Anyway, the stories in this collection are from the early 1960s and they cover the very first stories of Hal Jordan as Green Lantern. It includes the first appearances of the Guardians, the Green Lantern Corps, Tomar Re, Abin Sur, Hector Hammond, Star Sapphire, Korugar, Zamaron, and so on. A few of the stories are fun, especially the earliest Sinestro stories, but on t
Steven
Frankly, much of this is alternately painful to read (attitudes back in the early sixties being what they were) and hilarious, and it would be a long time before Green Lantern managed to become an interesting and go-to series, and by that point it was racing towards cancellation. This black and white phonebook does lack the visual colour cues, but not to worry -- every time something yellow crops up, the text helpfully tells you.
Mark
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really dig Silver Age books in all their cheesy glory. The Silver Age Green Lantern is pretty cool because you get to see awesome early Gil Kane art and the first appearances of awesome characters like Sinestro. Despite some of the awful stories and dealing with Pieface this first GL volume is fantastic and i'm glad I have it in my collection.
Bernard Doddema Jr
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a great opportunity to read the very first Green Lantern comics. Yes, the stories were cheesy but it is interesting to see how the character has grown into the complex figure of today. This comic provides a tremendous amount of information into his background. I look forward to reading the other two volumes!
Forrest
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Classic superhero comic goodness! Pre-Stan Lee and every bit as good. The more I read old DC stuff like this, the more I'm convinced Stan Lee is the most overrated writer in comic book history. (He's still a fantastic writer, just wildly overrated due to ignorance of superhero comics published before the Marvel Age.)
V.M. Watson
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
These are truly some of the best stories in comic book history. Beautifully creative and sweetly nostalgic to read. Carol Ferris is a must, however - the writers seem to have tried to vary Hal's love interests after a while, but the stories just don't have that same spark without her. It's no surprise that she became such a vital part of Green Lantern history.
Robert Gustavo
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
Tedious and repetitive.

About half the stories involve Green Lantern being rendered suddenly powerless by something yellow (his classic weakness). This black and white reprinting adds an extra bit of suspense since the reader has no idea what is yellow in the story. I think that improves things.

I loved a lot of the other Showcase Presents collections, but I just cannot get into this.
Jason
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
There's a reason people still talk about how great the Silver Age of comics was--and this book is just more proof of that. The artwork is fantastic, and the concepts are bold and work decades later. Sure, some of the pseudo-science/techno-babble is a bit dated, but overall Hal Jordan's early days as Green Lantern still hold up.

Essential reading for any fan of the genre.
Greg
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Some of my very favorite comics stories of all time. Imaginative, vast space-opera scope (owing more than a passing debt to "Doc" Smith's Lensman saga), coupled with the gorgeous artwork of the late Gil Kane.
Bill
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, superheroes
The 500+ pages of Silver Age Gil Kane artwork are nice, but they weren't enough to make me forget that I kind of hate Hal Jordan.
Jojono
Jul 27, 2008 rated it liked it
This is pretty awesome-except it's in black and white
The guise over at dc can be cheap fucks at times!
Craig Tyler
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comicbooks
The stories were okay, the better ones involved the green lantern league and Sinestro. The art was also okay but not dynamic in a Ditko or Kirby way.
John Parungao
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great opportunity to read the original comics featuring one of my favorite characters. The writing was simpler than I'm used to, but the stories were still very enjoyable.
Jim
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
i loved these stries when i first read them. however, GLs weakness is the color yellow so a black and white volume of his stories just doesn't work
Erik Eckel
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, pulp-filled goodness.
Kevin
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
this is what i go back to whenever i need a shot of fake 50's space age nostalgia...
the plot of every story is dumb, but a nice escape from a modern world i absolutely
despise...
James
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dated stories but a great read for those interested in the Emerald Knight's early origins.
Nico
Jan 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Generic DC stories from the 1960s, but you can't go wrong for ten dollars. I guess nostalgia would be the main factor for most buyers.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Countdown to Final Crisis, Vol. 4
  • Essential X-Men, Vol. 1
  • The Flash: Terminal Velocity
  • Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 2

Showcase Presents (1 - 10 of 127 books)
  • Showcase Presents: Adam Strange, Vol. 1