Start by marking “A Marriage of Convenience” as Want to Read:
A Marriage of Convenience

A Marriage of Convenience

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  499 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
After being left standing at the altar, Tamara needs someone to share the new home she can’t afford. Enter Kawbena Opoku, a gorgeous Ghanaian scientist in search of a green card, to fulfill Tamara’s needs—and the desires she didn’t know she had.
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published July 28th 2009 by Leisure Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Marriage of Convenience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Marriage of Convenience

Lady Raven RAVE!

4.5****stars

After being left standing at the altar, Tamara needs someone to share the new home she can’t afford. Kawbena Opoku, a gorgeous Ghanaian scientist in search of a green card, will help and fulfill Tamara’s needs.

Kawbena aka Ben what a great guy, he is sexy, sweet and nice and I love him. Tamara, I like her but I have to admit sometimes she annoys me like nobody in a book can, but I get her frustration. When you and your life feels crappy it tends to bring out the worst in someone.

Throu
Shawnette
Oct 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Okay...I've been in a bit of a reading slump...but I think I just got my READING GROOVE back with this CAPTIVATING romantic treat...I started this book this morning and haven't been able to put it down...I was in the middle of reading another book......and just decided to read the first few pages to see if I could get into this story...I was totally HOOKED...I fell in LOVE with Ben and the way he makes Tammy feel...the way he makes her want to be the "REAL" her...the way he makes her feel beauti ...more
Keisha
Oct 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! There were many dimensions I found entertaining--cultural differences, history, relationship development to name a few. This book was realistic because I am familiar with couples who married for reasons other than love and came to love and respect each other deeply. Also I liked that the heroine was not the typical overly beautiful female with no known flaws. Tamara and Kwabena worked through their problems and created a beautiful family together. By the way, they m ...more
Deb
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!! finally a story where the heroine is not a toothpick! ! loved this story. this was a story I couldn't put down. absolutely loved the fact the understandings don't go on for years and Tammy wasn't afraid to tell Ben how she felt or how he hurt her. looking forward to reading more from this author
Shannon Bonds
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes. Loved it

Wow. This one pulled me in. I want to direct the movie!! I CAN RELATE TO TAMERA and I'm sure many women and men do. I love when love wins. Had some totally unexpected turn of events which keep me intrigued. Good read.
Kimberly Bolden
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a great easy read. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Jane
I borrowed A Marriage of Convenience from the Prime Lending Library with my Prime membership benefits.

Tamara is not only stood-up at the alter by her groom, he cleaned out all her bank accounts and maxed out her credit cards after even tricking her into buy her engagement ring. Then he disappeared leaving her deeply in debt, depressed and to top that off she lost her job.

Her friend, Jordan suggests A Marriage of Convenience to Kawbena Benjamin Opoku, an African in need of a green card so he coul
Charles C. Sellers
4.5 stars, Draws You In, Multicultural HEA Romance

I found this book difficult to put down, as it subtly pulled me in. There were a few editing errors but they did not distract from the storyline, as well as a lot of characters to follow in the early stages. A large part of the plot involved Tamera's interactions and extended family relationships as well as the growing romance and cultural differences. The emotions that complicate relationships are very realistically portrayed, and, while you som
Stephanie Seley
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Deborah  Colgrove
I love it.

This is a great romance story. I love how it was long enough to follow them all through their tough times and good times. I love reading BBW books, even though we try, we can not all be a size 2. Having extra weight does no make us ugly, it just makes us more human. I would recommend it to anyone. This was an excellent story.
Scorpio
Predictable

The story was predictable. I don't usually read romance novels, although I don't mind romance in the novels that I read. There's just not enough going on to keep my interest. So just "okay". 3 stars may even be a stretch.
Brian Davis
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice

A nice romance with engaging characters and an interesting story. There some concepts that were new, and the protagonists being African and African-American is a change from the usual.
Jose Antonio Carrascal
Great story

You may think is going to be the usual romance after and initial arrangement marriage but not... this story has other turns and situations that keep you in suspense.... I highly recommend this book for a weekend or vacation time because it is difficult to put aside!!!
Jenna
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh yeah

Good book. A true page turner and I liked it. I want a Ben or a Chris. Lol Tammy was hurt and had to find a reason to live life again. Ben gave her that chance to live again while finding his new life again.
Shannon Starks
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

All I can say is, I can normally predict what is going to happen in a romance. That did not happen with this one and that is why it gets 5 stars from me. Also it presented reality and not a complete fairytale. Thank you.
Theresa Waterman
Awesome

I could not stop reading this book. This could be a real life story. Very detailed. Never a dull moment. Thank you.
Stacy
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read, predictable

I just read this because it was free on Amazon prime. There was nothing really noteworthy about it except I enjoyed learning about Ghanaian culture.
Rudolph G White I
Awesome

It was a great read🐞 I enjoyed the suspense and thrill.📚Always couldn’t wait to read the next chapter 🏡 The characters were well described
ADRIENNE Y. GORDY
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Read

I thought I knew what to expect, but there were a few unexpected twists as the story developed. Overall, delightful.
KIMBERLY R BARNES
Great read

Learning to trust again after being hurt is very hard but possible time . Love wins in the end again.
Angie
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read!
Rosalyn Jackson
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice romantic story

This book had just the right amount of suspense to keep you from putting the book down. I really enjoyed it.
Valerie Ihsan
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The author did a good job of showing that not trusting others was the root of all the heroine's troubles. It was well-written and I was turning pages quickly.
Jenn Scranton

A Marriage of Convenience was too sweet for my taste, as well as predictable. I like a hint of fire and suspense. This book has maybe one real sex scene and it left A LOT to be desired.

Besides that, the story was slightly both annoying and absurd. Our girl was left at the altar with the debt of a wedding, a brand new house and mounting credit card debt from her con-artist former fiance. Yea, that sucks... sucks even worse when you lose your job and can't pay everything off.

Here's where it gets
Jody
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, library
A green card marriage set up by her best friend after the love of her life leaves her at the alter.

When the marriage she had spent tons of money on (let alone buying her own engagement ring) falls apart, Tammy discovers the truth regarding her fiance. When things get so difficult, her best friend offers her a way to keep afloat. Things get a little complicated with friends and family involved. The ex really complicates things but well that is expected.
honesty and self-esteem issues...diet pills
Mary T. McMurtray
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this rating because although we'll written Too MuchExplicent sex

I disliked all the explicit sex Why do authors who have the reader enthralled have to go and ruin it by inserting explicit sexual chapters? It was an excellent book but the explicit sex had me flipping pages to get back to the real story.
Louiseann Walter
AMAZING!

I got this book this morning and normally I read in order as I buy but I love books like this and I could not put it down. It was a new twist in green cards but it also showed honesty and trust are very important in any relationship. And if you put your mind to it you can achieve anything.
Corey
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A marriage of convenience

I enjoyed this book. The story is about two people marrying for a green card and falling in love. The writer did a good job of showing the heroine overcoming her insecurities and the hero changing his ways.
Crystal
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Cute book. It's a quick read good for those times you need something light to read between deep or heavy books.
Hillary Hurst
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

It was a sweet romance of convenience. I liked the bbw aspect or the story, I can totally relate. Some good steam without to much detail.
  • To Love A Stranger
  • Redemption's Kiss (Secrets and Lies, #4)
  • One Special Moment
  • The Player's Proposal
  • Body By Night
  • Whisper My Name
  • Beyond Business
  • In Name Only
  • Perfectly Satisfied (Satisfaction #2)
  • Make You Mine
  • Awe-Struck (Struck #2)
  • Midnight

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Never boast of your accomplishments or your good works. If they’ve made an impact, they will speak for themselves.” 0 likes