Start by marking “It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider” as Want to Read:
It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider

It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  1,347 Ratings  ·  173 Reviews
A collection of wise and witty quotes from and inspired by Jim Henson similar in format to The World According to Mister Rogers. "When I was young, it was my ambition to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there. It's a wonderful life and I love it." Jim Henson "Yeah, well, I've got a d ...more
Published September 14th 2005 by Kingswell (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about It's Not Easy Being Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not Easy Being Green

Cathy DuPont
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jim Henson was a genius. He was a wonderful man/child and philosopher who children all over the world know as Kermit.

Yes, it's one of the basic truths of the physical universe, Sprocket. Things don't disappear. They just change, and change, and change again.."---Doc from Fraggle Rock.

Message? I got no message! I'm a puppet, man. This is all sham...make believe? Like everything! Everybody! We're all puppets! That's why we gotta boogie boogie boogie!!!---Dr. Teeth.

I have a lot of great memories
Beth E
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: muppets
I used this book to choose the quote that would go under my picture in my senior yearbook at college. We had to be able to show citation for the quote we chose, and this book was perfect for that. It has a special place in my heart.
Heather Faville
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Listening is the first step and the last step. ~Cantus Fraggle

To those of you who know me, you are aware that I am a Muppet fan through and through. I love everything to do with Jim Henson's creations and the puppeteers who bring these loveable characters to life. So when I received It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider as a Christmas gift I was thrilled...I believe there was even an *arm flail* involved.

Jim inspired people to be better than they thought they could be. To be
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
For Christmas a few years ago, Forrest gave me My Life as a Furry Red Monster. I devoured the book on Christmas day, interrupting the family gathering to share tidbits of Kevin's story. So, when I saw It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider at the discount store today, I knew I had to pick it up (along with Before You Leap: A Frog's Eye View of Life's Greatest Lessons-- which I'll read this weekend). Of course, I read the book in under an hour. It's a wonderful tribute to Jim Hen ...more
Jensownzoo
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Jim Henson was one of the only "celebrities" that I literally burst into tears when I learned of his death. This book is a collection of quotes by and about Jim Henson and the characters he played. For example:

"He changed our lives. He changed the world.
And we'll continue his work, because that's how inspiration operates. People die, but inspiration lives and grows. Inspired by his gentleness, we'll fill the world with gentleness. Inspired by his vision, we'll fill the world with vision. Inspire
Willow Redd
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very inspirational book full of quotes from Jim Henson, the Muppets, Fraggle Rock, and the people and productions Henson created over the years. Henson was one of those men who touched so many lives through his work.

Whether it comes from song lyrics, thoughts from his journals, or words of wisdom from his coworkers; each quote in this book has the ability to lift you up and inspire you to greater things. Well, that's what it did for me anyway.
Jayme
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How can you not LOVE Jim Henson and the Muppets? If you don't, please discontinue reading and consider our friendship over. ;)
This was a really cute collection of wonderful quotes from various Muppet projects, guests of the Muppet Show, Henson himself, his family and other Muppet performers. I read much of this to my kids, as they also love the Muppets too. (That's how i know they're mine.) Here are some of my favourites from the book:

"It's not easy being green...
When green is all there is to be
Keith Chawgo
May 10, 2012 rated it liked it
This is an interesting book for die hard fans of Jim Henson.

It is a colleciton of letters, transcripts, observations, etc by the great man himself. Although there is some very heartfelt messages to be found between the pages, it really is the sketches and pictures that really sell this book and make it stand out.

You will not learn anything new when reading this but you do somewhat delve into the man behind the muppets and a little bit of the magic he was able to create.

There is no depth about
Nik
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
This audio book was short and sweet at just over an hour. It was narrated by Whoopi, Lithgow and Lewis with lots of quotes, songs and silliness. Anyone who loves The Muppets, Fraggles, Skeksis, Mystics, or Labyrinth Goblins will be pleased as pie with this book. Jim Henson was amazing. I got a little misty-eyed at a few points.
Carol
May 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Small book with wonderful quotes from Jim, his friends and family, and the wonderful muppets he created. A wonderful man who will be loved by generations to come. I see that when I listen to my grandson's laughter as he is watching Sesame Street just like his mommy 30 years ago.
Kristin
Aug 06, 2007 rated it did not like it
Horribly disappointing. I love Jim Henson, I could never be disappointed by anything by him or about him, but here I am, disappointed. All the quotes were about the exact same things - nothing interesting, nothing to think about. Although I did appreciate thoughts by Dr. Teeth.
Julie
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Words of wisdom from the Muppets...what's not to love?! And I don't mean by just Kermit, but the Fraggles, Emmett Otter, and Jim Henson himself.. A great coffee table and reference book for the masses.
Cindy
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-interest
"But, you've heard enough. Now, it's time for you to listen. Go and find your songs."

Cantus Fraggle
Melissa
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I grew up on The Muppets and all their variations. I also went to University of Maryland, where Jim Henson went. This is a fantastic collection of quotes from cast and crew (muppets included!.)
Lindsey
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: purchase
Jim Henson was by far the most influential artist of my childhood; there is so much to say about him but there simply aren't words to describe just how much of a creative genius he truly was. He lived for his audience and his work, creating gentle and endearing characters that influenced children while making their parents chuckle. By bringing people together, regardless of age, Henson made education and entertainment a true family activity for the first time in television history.
Henson, even
James Biser
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Fantastic.

"The word say 'It's not easy being green,' but the song is about knowing who you are, and in it you hear Jim's message most clearly.
He believed people are good and they want to do their best and no matter how or why we might be different from anybody else, we should learn to love who we are, and be proud of it."
-Ray Charles

Recently, I have been thinking and reading a lot about what makes a person who they are -- identity. I read what some psychologists and philosophers said, but the s
Barbara
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jim Henson's creativity and philosophy is very inspirational. This book expands your creativity and your heart swells with love for the good that is still in this sometime unspeakably bad world. There is a simplicity and innocence that permeates this small book, it is refreshing and healing. If you need a little 'pick me up' this is something you defiantly should read.

Mark
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute, easy to read, and sometimes repetitive this collection of anecdotes about Jim Henson is more like 3.5 out of 5 stars. I would have liked more quotes from Henson's characters like Kermit and a wider variety of quotes from Henson himself. Overall, it's a nice little book that should prove as a simple book for anyone to read.
Katy Ann
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was like finding an old letter a good friend sent you. Inspiring, uplifting, insightful to a creative genius and happy in your heart. The book breaks down the characters and gives some wonderful insight into Jim Henson.
David
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Message? I got no message! I'm a puppet, man. This is all sham...Make believe! Like everything! Everybody! We're all puppets! That's why we gotta boogie boogie boogie!!!
-Dr. Teeth
Sandy Marks Simpson
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I highly recommend the audio book for this. The quotes are read by the characters...Kermit, Dr. Teeth, Fraggles, etc. Really fun.
Jeanette
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun & insightful little book.
Keshia Burchette
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book.
Liberty Arrow
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me smile from ear to ear. I was overwhelmed with happiness once I finished it and felt a strong need to want to go out and spread positivity into the world, even if just for a little while.
Jim Henson was such an amazing and talented person and you could really tell that he enjoyed the work he did. I mean, how could you not notice it when it was shining through every one of his characters?
I hope that I can turn to this book to inspire me when I'm losing my spark of motivation, and
Jessica
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great, inspirational little book. I recommend this to anyone who is a Jim Henson fan.

I meant to keep the book long enough to share a few of my favorite quotes but it had to make its way back to the library yesterday. However, I would seriously consider purchasing it because it was just that good. It's a little bit of Jim whispering in your ear everyday. It is what made him wonderful and what he wanted to share with the world to make it wonderful as well. It's refreshing to see someone
Jim Henson was one of those truly remarkable people who seemed to spread happiness and hope wherever he went. This book, edited by his daughter, Cheryl, gathers together quotes by and about Jim and the Muppets. Most of the quotes aren't new to me, but all compiled together they make up a vague portrait of Jim and his mission: to spread peace and good cheer wherever he could.

By everyone's account, Jim was very much like his most beloved and well known character, Kermit the Frog. He was a madcap,
Angela Boland
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis: A small collection of quotes from Jim Henson, his friends and family, and his most memorable characters.

Jim Henson defined my childhood. When I was really little, we basically had only PBS for me to watch and I learned pretty much everything I needed to know from Sesame Street. And those characters are still paving the way to the future for children today. Needless to say, The Muppets (as well as the man who created them) have a lot to say about life, the universe and everything.

Altho
Abby
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of The Muppets and/or Jim Henson
Shelves: favorites
This is yet another book that I have plenty of positive things to say about. From my perspective, Jim Henson was a great man, an awesome puppeteer and a visionary (as he somehow knew some of what the future held while he was alive).

Jim had a belief in the power of positive thinking, as well as looking on the bright side of things and life the way he did. Of course, although he had that, he was very humble and honest (as he knew he had flaws and made mistakes, like everyone else), and those qual
Ira
May 06, 2010 added it
The song:

ARTIST: Muppets
TITLE: It's Not Easy Being Green
Lyrics

It's not that easy being green
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold
Or something much more colorful like that

It's not easy being green
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things
And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're
Not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water
Or stars in the sky

But green's the color of Spring
And green can be cool and friend
Lafcadio
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I previously read and reviewed the condensed version of this book:

And though I still feel mostly the same way, I think I may be leaning a little more toward bad editing of the smaller book. Though Jim's wisdom is still not super-deep, it's still deeper than the short book would lead one to believe.

This version makes it ever more clear that Jim and Kermit are one and the same (like the sweet sound that calls the young sailors, and the voices that call your
  • Before You Leap: A Frog's-Eye View of Life's Greatest Lessons
  • Jim Henson: The Works: The Art, the Magic, the Imagination
  • The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch): Lessons from a Life in Feathers
  • Jim Henson's Designs and Doodles: A Muppet Sketchbook
  • Sesame Street Unpaved: Scripts, Stories, Secrets and Songs
  • My Life as a Furry Red Monster: What Being Elmo Has Taught Me about Life, Love and Laughing Out Loud
  • Sesame Street: A Celebration of 40 Years of Life on the Street
  • Animals
  • Wiggle
  • My Very First Mother Goose
  • Snow Day!
James Maury "Jim" Henson was the most widely known puppeteer in American television history. He was the creator of The Muppets and the leading force behind their long creative run in the television series Sesame Street and The Muppet Show and films such as The Muppet Movie (1979) and The Dark Crystal (1982). He was also an Oscar-nominated film director, Emmy Award-winning television producer, and ...more
More about Jim Henson...
“[Kids] don't remember what you try to teach them. They remember what you are.” 1788 likes
“If you care about what you do and work hard at it, there isn't anything you can't do if you want to.” 429 likes