Start by marking “DC Comics Covergirls” as Want to Read:
DC Comics Covergirls

DC Comics Covergirls

From the trailblazing Wonder Woman of the 1940s to edgy, girl-power-driven comics series like Birds of Prey, DC Comics Covergirls takes a look at the female characters of DC Comics throughout the company's history, and features many of DC Comics' iconic comic book covers. Written by renowned comic book writer Louise Simonson, the book examines the evolution of the comic bo ...more
Published January 6th 2009 by Rizzoli Universe Promotional Books (first published May 29th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about DC Comics Covergirls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DC Comics Covergirls

Start your review of DC Comics Covergirls
Calista
I wanted to see this. It does talk about the DC covers presented here and the woman on them. There is Poison Ivy to Wonder Woman. It's great to see covers of so many powerful women in one collection. It was fun flipping through this. Wonder Woman has been around forever.

It’s amazing how many times they had wonder woman tied up spread eagle. This is proof how sexualized woman are in comic books. It’s better now than it was at one point it seems to me. Still, despite all that, it was fun to see a
L. McCoy
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of DC
SUPER FAST REVIEW:
This was very good.
description
So this is a book that highlights various comic book covers featuring the stunning, bad-ass and interesting female heroes (and villains) of DC comics, ranging from Supergirl to Vertigo and many more. This book also gives some history on these characters.
description
So I enjoyed this. The covers featured are (usually) very eye-catching, well drawn, exciting and even at times kinda sexy! The history, while I had known much of it before, it is fascinating and I did end up l
Kat
Basic Premise: This book is a historical breakdown of some of the most famous female characters to grace the covers of the various DC comics.

Overall, I enjoyed reading about the various characters, their histories, and how those histories intertwined with that of the comic company itself. The art was awesome, featuring some of the best, most iconic covers ever published. There was a whole, huge section about Wonder Woman, which I loved. Lois Lane even got her own section.

Here's where the problem
Thomas
Jul 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009, graphic
This is a fascinating collection of female heros on covers from DC comics over the ages. Supergirl and Wonder Woman have interesting and checkered histories. What is so strange is to see the occasional juxtaposition of girl power with rankly sexist messages -- meaning dating and marrying messages and the like. As far as overall sexuality and the exposure of female flesh, that is a whole nother ball game and very strange to see alongside the repeated motifs of the female superheros. It's especial ...more
RoseAdagio
There is a lot of artwork to be admired, but the point of this book felt unclear. It's about iconic female characters who have appeared on comic book covers, but it goes, many times, into explaining and summarizing plot points and character profiles and giving some history of the comic book industry. That information was interesting, but it didn't feel like it all belonged in a book about DC's "Covergirls". In fact, I'm not entirely sure why the book's focus is "Covergirls" when, apart from disp ...more
Rod Brown
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-real-books
I own most of the comics that have their covers featured in this book, and it is nice to have them collected in one place and sorted by characters and themes, especially since it saves me hours of lifting and shifting comic long boxes to track down my copies. There is a ton of great art (and more than a smidgen of cheesecake) here. Adam Hughes carries the day, which makes me interested in tracking down a copy or Kindle download of Cover Run: The DC Comics Art of Adam Hughes.

The author takes it u
Gary Butler
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
25th book read in 2015.

Number 84 out of 453 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Kim
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you're buying this book as a visual reference, to learn some interesting trivia about various DC covers, or as a quick retrospective of women on DC covers, I'd say it works pretty well. It was a little bare and probably wouldn't be the first thing I'd choose to get more detailed historical information or pointed discussion and critique. Oh well, it looks nice!

The selling point of this book for me was the foreword by Adam Hughes, whose art I've been following for a while and still enjoy despit
John Smith
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic look at the female characters of DC Comics. Fantastic art though out.
Liberty
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, heroes
It was a very interesting and delightful read despite its age
Korynn
Aug 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dc covergirl fans
Shelves: art-books
DC covergirls appears to come with two alternate slipcovers, one for the direct market (i.e. comic shop) and one for the bookstores. I prefer the bookstore version which is a great Adam Hughes cover of current Wonder Woman meeting her earlier incarnation. The direct market version appears to be Alex Ross's very nice painting of Wonder Woman's face from the cover of his Spirit of Truth.
I picked this book up because it features some of my favorite comic chick cover art, a great deal of it quite r
Martin
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of both comic books and history, it was a nice surprise for me to find this book. It showcases different leading ladies of the DC Universe from the 1940s up to 2007, highlighting their evolution. This book is a great way for readers old & new to understand the sometimes convoluted character histories. Even now, as I'm writing this review in November 2013, both Final Crisis and the New 52 have come and gone, and some information in this book is already outdated.

No such book can always b
Geni
Jan 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-2009
Quick Relunctant Reader 3Q 2P MJS {Review} Better than Barbie! Darwin's Artistic Evolution of the Heroine. At first glance taking the book of the shelf, I thought the main focus was going to be only about Wonder Woman. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the book was extremely well organized to feature not only the evolution of Wonder Woman but the Female Villains of Batman and even the history of Birds of Prey. While there is SOME (I use the word loosely) text describing the history of each ...more
Shannon Kitchens
A great brief beginner's look a DC's comic history.

I really enjoyed this book. The cover choices and art looks are awesome. The actual text is interesting, albeit, a bit rushed towards the last 25% of the book. I would really have liked more history on other characters and maybe a section on more unusal DC girls. However, the unusal ones aren't usually covergirls, so, there's that.

Anyway, I as a casual comic book reader, it was interesting to read about it as a industry over the last 70 years.
Paul
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, art-of
Beautiful book, ranks up there with the DC Absolute editions, but without the slipcase.
Beautiful artwork taken from the Women of DC History.
It's nice to see how the protrayal of Women in comics has changed and evolved... one hopes for the better... let's get another one of these in 25 years to see how the future treats their comic Women ;-)

This book was published in 2007, 6 years ago, I'd love to see that 6 years covered as well.
Anissa
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book delivers on its title. I learned a good bit about the origins of some of my favorite DC heroines and about the origins of the Vertigo line. The reprints of the covers are really lovely, and Simonson's discussions present fair critiques of why covers are so often exploitive. A lovely coffee table book for the comic fan.
Lisa
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i learned all kinds of cool crap about the comics and the actual characters. i love the WB series Birds of Prey i had no idea that it was based on the comics and that the characters where actual comic characters. i even learned new things about super girl and power girl and even wonder woman loved this book.
TJ
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful look at the DC Comics Cover Girls. My favorite section was the one on Wonder Woman. It had enough informational text that it was interesting without being boring. The comic covers were very interesting. There were several female comic cover girls I had never heard of so that was interesting.
Donnell
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Liked being brought up to speed on the progress of these women; also great glossy illustrations--and many of them. Further, very cool the way the author was the model for a comics cover herself, back in 1971.

The thing is, though, reading the comics themselves is better.
Nicolas
This was really fun. I was hesitant to pick it up because I assumed it was just a cover gallery. It actually had a lot of interesting history aside from the great collection of covers. It spent way to much time on Vertigo & Wildstorm, but as a whole it was pretty solid. ...more
Brian
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, it acknowledges that sex sells.
This book also covers the characterization and history of these 'pinups.' Not just that, but this book also provides a bare-bones history of the entire DC Publishing. Though it was a little skimpy on the history, I liked the history lesson nonetheless.
Christina
May 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Helpful back story to the many women that appear in the world of DC Comics. While I knew a lot of it going into the book the bits I didn't as well as the artwork made it a worthwhile book.
Kevin
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Comic fans
Recommended to Kevin by: ran across at library in Santa Monica

A really great looking coffee table book. If you love Superhero women, especially Wonder Woman, you'll love the images (and comic women histories)herin.
Jocelin
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, coffe-table
Gorgeous book about the great super heroines of the DC Comic Universe. Loved it.
Jess Hennessey
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wonder-woman
I loved seeing the covers and learning some behind the scenes things. I liked that Wonder Woman got her own section :)
Abigail
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
20hrsinamerica
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous art, smart and interesting background. Witty descriptions and commentary. I need more books like this! Great book for anyone a fan of art, comic art, and/or the DC women.
Sarah Bramble
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, was an interesting read only irk was no mention of Harley.
David
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely and brilliant collection of comics art.
Sebastian
I'm not a big fan of comics but a big fan of comic art and this book didn't disappoint me in that regard, lots of beautifully drawn covers, some of them of artistic merit. Unfortunately the accompanying text is less interesting and the book concentrates on very few comic series. Mostly for die-hard comic fans.

• Marvel Powers of a Girl
  • Love Notes to Nightmares
  • The Spectacular Sisterhood of Superwomen: Awesome Female Characters from Comic Book History
  • Lullabies for Suffering: Tales of Addiction Horror
  • When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost: A Hip-Hop Feminist Breaks It Down
  • Confessions of a Token Black Girl
  • In Love and Struggle: Audible Original
  • Ain't I a Woman: Black Women and Feminism
  • Short Horror Stories Vol. 2 (Supernatural Suspense Collection, #2)
  • Night Terrors Vol. 3: Short Horror Stories Anthology
  • Short Horror Stories Vol. 4 (Supernatural Suspense Collection, #4)
  • Short Horror Stories Vol. 3 (Supernatural Suspense Collection, #3)
  • Short Horror Stories Vol. 5 (Supernatural Suspense Collection, #5)
Louise Simonson (formerly Louise Jones, when married to artist Jeff Jones) is an American comic book writer and editor. She is best known for her work on comic book titles such as Power Pack, X-Factor, New Mutants, Superman, and Steel. She is sometimes referred to by the nickname "Weezie".

News & Interviews