Start by marking “Chakras for Beginners: A Guide to Balancing Your Chakra Energies [With Booklet]” as Want to Read:
Chakras for Beginners: A Guide to Balancing Your Chakra Energies [With Booklet]

Chakras for Beginners: A Guide to Balancing Your Chakra Energies [With Booklet]

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  422 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews

Chances are you've heard of the chakras. They're those spinning vortexes of energy associated with places along the spine. But you might be wondering, "What are they good for?" If you've ever had that question, you need Chakras for Beginners.
This book is filled with exercises and meditations that will allow you to balance out the energy in each of your chakras. This will
Published (first published September 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Chakras for Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chakras for Beginners

Heather
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I love about Chakras for Beginners is that it's both beautifully-written and spiritually meaningful, AND, it has practical suggestions on how to clear and open each chakra.

The chakras can be a complex system, and Pond clearly knows his stuff because he's able to fine-tune suggestions and descriptions in ways that are easily accessible, yet spiritually rich.

Though I've read many books and taken an intensive, year long class on chakras, Pond's book remains one of my favorites! This book is a
Storm
Seeing as I have an older copy of the book, consisting only of 161 pages, I can only comment for my copy, though it has the same ISBN as the version pictured.

It's a bit of a dry read, one I was sorely tempted to skip to the 'good' parts, the section on the chakras, and even some of those were dry reads, actually I found the whole thing a dry read, but it's good info for someone looking for info on the subject. I haven't tried the exercises yet so I can't comment on those or the meditations. Stil
Sandra
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chakra-aura
I have to say this was an eye opener for me... To see things from a different perspective... Looking at emotions as a form of energy that can be translated into stages of life, growth and development... I like the little insights into this middle eastern knowledge with a few christian view points... I feel enlightened already from reading this... makes me feel like maybe I'm not so far off the mark from where I should be at physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually... Gives me hope! ;)
Sae-chan
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the first book about chakra that I read. I'm very satisfied with the way the subject is presented here. The author also kept an open mind of the many different ways readers might approach this subject, which is refreshing. It is not patronizing, rather encouraging the readers to find their own way of understanding and working with their chakras. Definitely a book to be kept for a long time.
Kim
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of folks might think a book like this is too wacky and New Age-y for them. But truly, it offers a clear, logical way to approach various aspects of spirituality and personality. Even if you don't really believe in chakras, it helps to imagine each segment of the soul according to colors. This book helped me sort out some messy stuff going on in my head. I can't promise it will do the same for everyone, but I'd highly recommend trying.
kisha
Oct 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People whose life is stressful, people who like to meditate, people who like motivational reads
For a person who really isn't into the whole chakras, meditation, yoga whole get up, I must admit it was a good read. I thought that I would go into this book fighting everything that the author believed in. I was very defensive. But I must say it a pleasant learning experience for me. Do I believe EVERYTHING that was written in the book? No. But the general idea of it all is life changing for me. Teaching me to be a more positive, balanced, and calmer person.
Mandy Sue
May 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
This is a great introduction to the seven chakras (or inner energy) with practical spiritual exercises, visualizations and meditations.

The techniques offered in the book will teach you to shift your focus away from the problem mindset and focus on realigning with the inner energy that is causing an imbalance.

Great for anyone looking for balance in their lives.
Alisa
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, grc, new-age
ok.. I picked up this book because I will admitt that i was having an emotional rollercoaster type of time and there wasnt a real reason for it.. everything was going fine, i just had this terrible feeling and a need to cry ALL the Friggin Time..lol.. this book has helped, I believe, because I am not wheeping at the drop of a hat.. and i still emotional, of corse.. just not ridiculously now....
Colleen Kronman
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent and readable guide for understanding the rudiments of the Chakras. Told in plain english. no steeping in mysticism here. Pond is quite eloquent.
Jeanne
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a long book, but is packed with a fresh look at how to understand and work with the dynamics of the major energy centers. A clear summary chart in the appendix highlights the main points of each chakra. There is a Reference and Suggested Reading section. I found the chapter on the 5th chakra especially valuable as it gave me a whole new perspective on that center. The discussion of stage fright and writer's block, while not extensive, was most useful to me, as were the remarks about ...more
Martina Johnson
"beginners" is a really gentle term to describe what this book is for. this is more aimed at the completely uninitiated, those 100% oblivious to alternative faith ideas. as a novice, what i would call a beginner, i found this book increasingly harder to follow as it went on. in discussing the higher chakras, Pond becomes very vague and fluffy, to the point i had to read passages several times over before they would stick in my head, if they would at all. not an author i'll look to again, not a b ...more
Lexy Luna
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
For such a small book, I am surprised how repetitive it was. Example: "Everyone has chakras. This inclusive statement should relieve those of you who are concerned about whether you have all of the chakras or not." Yes this book is for beginners but if we are reading it, I'm sure we understand the function of a sentence. Clearly that sentence isn't for people who believe they have chakras. Also I understand that all religion is connected, but chakras are not mentioned in Christianity. David Pond ...more
Yakking Yogini
This is a good introduction to the chakras, which figures prominently from anything having to do with Ayurvedic medicine to Yogic philosophy. Like anything philosophical in nature (particularly New Age philosopy), it is a slow read and I often had to reread paragraphs to fully grasp what the author was saying, and even then wasn't positive what the author was really saying. A useful chart and some guided meditations focusing on each of the chakras could prove useful to a limited audience.
Kathryn
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: my sister, Melanie
It speaks about 7 different energies our bodies have - what they mean and how we can work through them when they are blocked. It taught me how to meditate and it helps me turn inward and listen to God more clearly. One thing I do not agree with is that the book says Jesus is only a prophet and not the Son of God. I can still take the truths in this book that I do believe coincide with my beliefs. It is just a different way of looking at spirituality - a new perspective.
Swhite
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chakras were my last "new age" holdout until I read David Pond's astrology books and loved his warm,down-to-earth style and saw he wrote this book. If you want to know what chakras are about in a way most people can relate to, then this is your book. His essays at the end are intriguing too and his meditations/exercises? Not cumbersome and not freaky at all. :)
Chazzy
surprisingly compelling, even now, although at the time i knew practically nothing about the subject. it's still a reference i use in my practice. i especially enjoy the phrasing of certain critical themes related to moving energy in the body.
Christina
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great beginners guide to understanding chakras. I still refer back to it and reread it. It's a very quick read and I also used tabs to separate each of the chakras.
It is a beginners book so it doesn't go into depth regarding the other chakras but covers the main 7.
Angela
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful guide for beginners that describes clearly what the chakras are and how to work with them. Some guided meditations are given to help the reader work with each chakra. Very basic but still requires some time to read.
Ruby Gutka
Wonderful book and definetly will buy this book as it will help me on my journey to align my chakras...
Laurene Camacho
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Just the nuts and bolts. Well done! The essays at the end are wonderful and thought provoking. I also appreciated the meditation to clear the chakras.
Jason Bae
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very simplistic, easy to understand explanation of chakras, and I do indeed find chakras fascinating!
Odin Nightmair
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good starting point for beginners
Kara
Loved it, perfect for people who want a detailed explanation of chakras and not to get confused or caught up with believing or not.
Kerri
Nov 09, 2011 rated it liked it

Great introduction to chakra system but I wanted a more in depth description of each chakra. I would recommend this book to someone who wants a very basic explanation of the chakras.
Lauren Morris
Feb 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great intro to the Chakras
Jenny
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to know more about energies & chakras to tie in with my therapy work and yoga practice. This was a well written accessible introduction.
Cara
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the meditation examples in this book, but I found I had to constantly weed out in my mind what I was reading that didn't ring true to my beliefs and what was true, which was tiring to me.
jewelthinks
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing.
Sian Lile-Pastore
Covers everything you need to know about the chakras but in a pretty dull way.
Crystal
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own

Excellent beginner book! I loved it!!
  • The Chakra Bible: The Definitive Guide to Working with Chakras
  • Your Aura and Your Chakras: The Owner's Manual
  • The 7 Healing Chakras: Unlocking Your Body's Energy Centers
  • The Book of Chakras: Discover the Hidden Forces Within You
  • The Complete Book of Chakra Healing: Activate the Transformative Power of Your Energy Centers
  • Quantum-Touch: The Power to Heal
  • The Lost Books of the Bible
  • Things that Fall from the Sky
  • The Chakras (Quest Book)
  • How To See & Read The Aura
  • Things I've Learned from Dying: A Book About Life
  • Mishima: A Biography
  • Chakra Clearing
  • Chakra Meditation: Discovery Energy, Creativity, Focus, Love, Communication, Wisdom, and Spirit
  • The Meditation Bible: The Definitive Guide to Meditations for Every Purpose
  • Yoga Self-Taught
  • LOA for the Real World: 7 Big Fat Clues to Getting What You Want
  • The Dao of Taijiquan: Way to Rejuvenation (Tai Chi)