Start by marking “The Secret Origins Of The Bible” as Want to Read:
The Secret Origins Of The Bible

The Secret Origins Of The Bible

It is surprising that a book as widely explained as the Bible can still hold secrets. Many intelligent and otherwise well informed readers will find much of the material in this book new and quite startling, although Bible scholars, and anyone who has even an amateur background in comparative mythology, will be familiar with it. Bible scholar and religion editor Tim ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Millennium Press (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Origins Of The Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Origins Of The Bible

Start your review of The Secret Origins Of The Bible
Tariq Mahmood
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, religion
Tim has done a great job in pointing out the many contradictions in the Bible based on context and the different authors over time. The Bible is based on great tales. It is often the case that fundamentalists while maintaining that all of the Bible is true, interpret it in an exclusionary manner favoring their own political views. If Biblical are held to be sacrosanct, if we must accept them as literally true, if we are forbidden from looking beneath the surface of myths, their secret meanings ...more
Terry
Nov 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Terry by: Reasonable Doubts Podcast
This is not for the Biblical lightweight. I traversed most of the pages with my Oxford New Revised Standard Edition in my left hand and this in my right. The notions of Biblical events being revisions to mythic narratives are not new and the author does a very good job separating accepted Biblical Scholarship and established Hermeneutics from his conjectures. To properly read this book, I probably should have had a better guide to the apocrypha and deuterocanonical texts as the Dead Sea Scrolls, ...more
Marshall
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This enormous book examines the entire Bible, from cover to cover, Hebrew Bible and New Testament, from a comparative mythology perspective, incorporating what we know now from other sources, such as archeaology, history, culture, and newly unearthed gospels. It attempts to separate myth from truth in the Bible. The end result: the Bible is mostly myth.

There is so much in the Bible that is just totally illogical. It contains a lot of contradictions and absurdities, but it actually makes a lot of
Debora Williams
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far this book is very informative...lots of new information.
George Mills
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Readers of the Bible may fall anywhere along a continuum. It starts with those who believe that every single word is literally true, having been dictated directly by God, or, in the case of the later histories, directly inspired by God. The other end of the continuum is made up of those who see it as a collection of myth, history, folk-tale, wisdom literature, poetry, and (at worst) as the stories of a tribal god now being used to justify the belief of that tribe's descendants that they and no ...more
Jeffrey
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
It's the first time I've encountered by literary and source criticisms of The Bible and was a real eye opener. While like most literary things, much of it still too wishy-washy for my tastes but it did a good job of elucidating some of the more difficult to understand portions of the old testament, and putting much of the rest in it's proper context.

The author has a good understanding of the scriptures and apologetics, the mythology and culture of ancient Israel, the linguistics, as well as the
Bob Mann
One of the most insightful books on where the Bible comes from. This author knows comparative religions prior to the time and during the time of the writing of the Bible.
He covers the entire Bible from Genesis to Revelation and attempts to separate myth from reality in the scriptures. A must read for anyone who want to get closer to the truth of Christianity.
Robert
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great introduction to the use of comparative mythology in analyzing the bible. Although I was vaguely aware of the borrowing of myths in developing the still-evolving Yahwist myths, this book helped greatly in clarifying that awareness. I will definitely read more Callahan in the future.
Cicely
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this! An eye opener
Tough
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An important read for those who understand the role of myths in culture and its influence on the religious works.
ein Leichter
Apr 17, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Someone that has already read the Bible
I started reading this book, but I came to the conclusion that I needed to become for familiar with the Bible itself before continuing.
Darryl Hall
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
After reading some history of the Mesopotamian civilization, decided to go back and reread this book. First time around was overwhelming in information.
William D.