Start by marking “The Gospel According to John: An Introduction and Commentary (Pillar New Testament Commentary)” as Want to Read:

The Gospel According to John: An Introduction and Commentary

(Pillar New Testament Commentary)

In this solid evangelical commentary on John's Gospel, a respected Scripure expositor makes clear the flow of the text, engages a small but representative part of the massive secondary literature on John, shows how the fourth gospel contributes to biblical and systematic theology, and offers a consistent exposition of John as an evangelistic Gospel.
Published (first published December 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel According to John, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel According to John

Drake
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carson's commentary helped make my study through the Gospel of John an absolute joy. It dealt with the theological and academic issues in an accessible way while never losing sight of the messages and themes that John wanted his readers to recognize in his gospel. Carson is also very good at drawing out the implications of a given passage for discipleship, evangelism, and pastoral work, helping the text "hit home" in powerful ways. Highly recommended for anyone studying or teaching through John' ...more
David Kemp
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this commentary. It is stronger on research than devotional/sermon material but Carson will surprise you from time to time with a devotional application that is truly beneficial.

Bottom line, I see this commentary more for the serious scholar; it is not light reading.
Franki
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This commentary was a trusty companion for my in my personal study through John. Dr. Carson helpfully answered questions and was easy to understand.
Joshua
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the process of studying the writings of John I kept seeing various commentators making reference to Carson. I have a friend who is also a big fan of Carson's works so both of these things influenced me to buy this work. This book actually exceeded any expectations I had. I cannot decide what is the best work on John but it is certainly between F.F. Bruce and this one.

First I would like to say that Carson is very articulate and exact. He is not given to fanciful fits of imagination of clumsy e
Sue
16 May 2015
I like the Pillar commentaries very much for my personal Bible study. Infinitely readable, this exegetical and expository commentary on John is full of thoughts to ponder and insights that enrich my study.

Today, I am reading about Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman, John 4. Carson gives me a greater understanding of the Samaritan's view of God as opposed to Judah's ongoing revelatory relationship with God. At the same time, I am reading 2 Kings and the fall of both kingdoms - S
Luis Dizon
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The PNTC commentary on The Gospel According to John by D. A. Carson is perhaps one of the best treatments of John that have been published from an Evangelical Protestant perspective. It is more comprehensive than introductory commentaries on the Gospel, and provides interaction with various views (both conservative and liberal) regarding the social and historical background of the book, as well as form and source criticism.

As Carson states in the preface to this commentary, anybody who embarks
Ryan Bates
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent commentary on John. One of my favorites of any book. Carson is the premiere scholar on the gospels and the life of Jesus. He gives wonderful pastoral insight while crafting his study with love and diligence. He provides great overviews and exalts Christ in every chapter. He still gets rather deep with his handling of Greek and pointing out and critiquing other views on various theological stances, which may overwhelm the average reader looking for devotional material. But he brings it ...more
Michael Vincent
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
A fantastic, thorough commentary on John. Plenty of scholarship and application throughout. This has been one of my go to commentaries on John throughout my ministry. Since I am finally finishing preaching through each chapter on John, I am also finishing this commentary.
Jonathan
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the best commentary on the Gospel of John. I also liked Leon Morris and Kostenberger, but I found this commentary so helpful as I preached through John.
Vanjr
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christan, commentary
Top level conservative commentary on John. A must read commentary on this book.
Dave Courtney
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently found myself motivated to work my way through the Gospel of John, for which Carson's thorough commentary provided a decent support. I have found my time in John's Gospel to touch on some deeply personal issues and emotions. It is interesting as I was first pushed to reread it following a discussion with an old friend, one who walked away from the Christian faith years back and who had been recently challenged himself to read through the Gospel of John. The challenge was to see if fres ...more
Jimmy Reagan
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This commentary on the Gospel of John (Pillar New Testament Commentary series) by the renowned D. A. Carson has stood as a giant among commentaries for several years now. Glowing reviews can be found in a multitude of places. Carson himself comes the closest to having a following of any scholar I know. He’s conservative, sharp, thorough, and never fears going on record with what he believes. My guess is that the publishers of this series will hold on to this title for a long time, and if there’s ...more
Nathan White
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premier modern work on John's gospel. A technical commentary that does a fantastic job handling the issues and claims of higher criticism. Carson handles the text beautifully, treating it very thoroughly, and always in light of the immediate context. The criticisms I have for this work: It's not quite a theological as one might expect; often Carson relies too heavily on the Literal-Grammatical-Historical, missing some of the bigger allusions and themes in the book; Carson's deficient theolog ...more
Kristopher Schaal
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: commentaries
When I taught through John, there were three commentaries I consulted just about every week: Carson, Morris, and Kostenberger; but Carson was my favorite. He is particularly great at theology, but he's also sensitive to the narrative (two traits that I think are rarely found together). He's also such a good writer. You sometimes forget that you're reading a commentary! :-) I'm thankful that I was able to soak up his insights on this wonderful gospel, and I highly recommend his book.
David Goetz
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblical-studies
Read most of this a few years ago and just re-read the section on the Prologue. Obviously Carson writes as an evangelical--more specifically, as a Reformed baptist. With remarkable consistency, his writing evinces fidelity to the text and to historic orthodoxy, appropriate scholarly restraint, and abundant good judgment.
Bill Taylor
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent commentary; scholarly yet readable and understandable. Carson is traditional and conservative in his exegesis but demonstrates his mastery of the literature from all perspectives on JOHN. His reasoning is thorough, explicit, and detailed. His commentary marvelously unfolds the wonder and power of the message of the fourth gospel.
Natan Leite
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maravilhoso. Estupendo. Incrívelmente profundo. Esclarecedor. Fantástico. Só não é melhor que o próprio Evangelho de João.

Carson é uma benção para a Igreja. Este comentário é uma benção para a Igreja.

Glorificado seja Deus por este comentário. Glorificado seja Deus pela sua Palavra!
Ryan Boyer
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best commentaries-- not on John, but of any book in the Bible.
Andy Hickman
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reliable reference work!
E.g.
The Gospel of John is formally anonymous. Many scholars, such as Blomberg, Carson, Morris and Bauckham, see sufficient internal evidence to suggest that the disciple John, the son of Zebedee, is the author of the Fourth Gospel. Morris points out that the author apparently knew facts firsthand (1:14; 18:13; 19:35). Furthermore, there is also external evidence that Irenaeus, who knew Polycarp who knew John, acknowledged the same. (p68-72)

Carson suggests a date around AD
Thomas Reeves
Solid Commentary in many ways, but at times, you can see Carson's need for "Modern Precision" (i.e., historic Fundamentalism) when it comes to John's "chronology" of Holy Week and such. I don't believe that John was worried about everything in his theological analogies lining up perfectly with the chronology of events leading up to the Death of Christ.

His commentary on John 6 related to the comments of Jesus regarding his being the "bread of life" and the "eating of his flesh and drinking of his
Greg
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible
This is an evangelical commentary. If you are a liberal protestant or Catholic, buyer beware. It is well done as an evangelical commentary and Carson shows himself to have mastered the scholarly material on the subject. Regarding, author, date, provenance of the Gospel, he vigorously defends the Early Church Fathers' tradition (even though it has problems internally with the text)--compare his treatment with that of Ramsey Michaels' in the evangelical New International Commentary on the New Test ...more
Graham Heslop
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well deserving of its status as the must-read commentary on John's Gospel, which might call into question my rating. The thematic depth, scholarly breadth and linguistically technical aspects of this work make it a seminal piece for any serious work in the fourth Gospel. Carson deals with most of the debates surrounding interpretation, as well as the final form of the text, while providing detailed footnotes where one can find treatment of and engagement with all the technical works (along with ...more
Paul
Jun 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: commentary
Excellent commentary of John's Gospel. Carson also has a helpful introduction that interacts with many of the questions about authorship, reliability, textual criticism, historical culture of the time, purpose and theological emphasis of the Gospel. Carson is orthodox, scholarly, and pastoral in his treatment of the text. His should be one of the standard commentaries you go to when studying John.
John Brackbill
I read this commentary straight through and hands down it is the best commentary I worked with through a series through the gospel. Even if I disagreed with the interpretation Carson was so clear that I knew why I disagreed with it and what exactly I was disagreeing with. However, many times Carson put it in a way that brought things together for me as I wrestled with the text. Sell your shirt and get it if you are planning on preaching through the gospel of John.
Christina
Apr 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first glance, this seemed to be a really dense commentary, but once I dipped into other commentaries I found this to be an extremely useful source. One of the best commentaries on John that I had come across. Carson is very thorough in his explanations and seems to address many of the questions I had concerning this book of the Bible.
Spencer
A bit dated and difficult to read, but certainly not a bad commentary on John. Carson would have benefited from more interaction with scholarship and less vague illusions that made his work difficult to walk through. It is perhaps best for pastors/laypersons as a reference text and for scholars/students dealing with Carson's views—which are certainly not groundbreaking or fresh.
Steve Shuford
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently reading this book for my class on the Fourth Gospel. I think that it is the best book that I have read about John from a theological standpoint. I think that it is important to take all things into account when studying the Word (author, audience, situation, etc). Carson effectively does just that in this work.
Clayton Tune
This is a fairly good read. I don't mean, grab a blanket and cuddle up next to the dog for a good sunday afternoon adventure, but for getting a good look at John, this is worth having. It's at the very least, a good starting point for an in depth study.
Marty Taylor
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding insights from Carson. He is also very careful to provide alternative / competing interpretations and to help guide the reader through evidences for and against. Incredibly helpful for an in-depth study of John's gospel.
Bart Box
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Carson's work remains the best commentary on the Gospel of John. It's thorough without being overly long. The Pillar series is one of my favorites, and this is one of the more outstanding in that outstanding series.
  • The Letter to the Ephesians
  • The Letter of James (The Pillar New Testament Commentary)
  • Romans
  • Paul's Letter to the Philippians
  • The Letters of John: (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • The Book of the Acts
  • Genesis (Tyndale Old Testament Commentary, #1)
  • The Book of Revelation
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • Acts (Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Gospel According to John
  • Joshua: No Falling Words
  • 1 Peter (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Genesis 1-15 (Word Biblical Commentary #1)
  • The Gospel of Matthew
D.A. Carson is research professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois. He has been at Trinity since 1978. Carson came to Trinity from the faculty of Northwest Baptist Theological Seminary in Vancouver, British Columbia, where he also served for two years as academic dean. He has served as assistant pastor and pastor and has done itinerant ministry in Cana ...more

Pillar New Testament Commentary (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Gospel according to Matthew
  • The Gospel according to Mark
  • The Acts of the Apostles
  • Paul's Letter to the Romans (The Pillar New Testament Commentary (PNTC))
  • The First Letter to the Corinthians
  • The Letter to the Ephesians
  • The Letter to the Philippians
  • The Letters to the Colossians and to Philemon
  • The Letters to the Thessalonians
  • The Letter to the Hebrews
“To have faith in the gospel message is not the same thing as responding positively to the story of Superman, who is also said to invade our turf from beyond. Although biblical faith has a major ‘subjective’ or ‘personal’ or ‘existential’ component, it depends even more on its object - on the other side of the ‘window’.” 2 likes
“The new command398 is simple enough for a toddler to memorize and appreciate, profound enough that the most mature believers are repeatedly embarrassed at how poorly they comprehend it and put it into practice: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” 1 likes