Start by marking “The LEGO® Book” as Want to Read:
The LEGO® Book

The LEGO® Book

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  963 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Reveal, explore, and celebrate the fascinating LEGO® story in The LEGO® Book. From its beginnings in a carpenter's workshop and the development of the first plastic brick, to the group's current position as an international brand, a timeline highlights key moments in LEGO® history.

Fascinating facts on every significant LEGO® product line, theme park, video game, artwork,
Published October 5th 2009 by DK (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The LEGO® Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The LEGO® Book

Artiom Karsiuk
My childhood was very few things: professional wrestling, Dragon Ball Z and, of course, LEGO.
Those three things were the cornerstones of everything that mattered to a 10 year old Artiom: they were my world. And nostalgia is a motherfucker, because I am now 26 years young and still love all three of those things. Yes, old folk don't have a monopoly on nostalgia.
This book was everything I hoped it would be - just a fun little ride through the company's history in colorful pages and beautiful prese
Mahdi Essekelli
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Lego Bricks foster collaboration and social skills.” (Daniel Lipkowitz, 7). The stupefying non-fiction book The Lego book was written by an imaginative author; Daniel Lipkowitz. This story is about the long story of the so-famous Lego Company. After all, who would think that there was so much in those small little toys that children played with? However, if you read this interesting story, your ideas will change about the whole world. The Lego Book taught readers many things, for example, the L ...more
Nathan Cunningham
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lego, own
The LEGO Book is THE book for both the beginning Lego fan and the seasoned veteran. This book is about as comprehensive as you can get without going overboard with information; every play theme LEGO has ever done gets at least a few detailed pages, as does the history of the company, the process of making pieces and designing sets, and even the fan culture. Much of the book was also a nice walk down memory lane for me, and I spent a long time on some pages just soaking in the nostalgia. If anyon ...more
Parxyr
May 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What was fantastic about this book is entirely a subjective thing. This book, and its companion in the two-parter I picked up, were an interesting background on the history of Lego and purely a trip down nostalgia lane for me. If you were like me, and grew up on the blocks that Lego produces, then you'd be hard pressed to not have this on your shelf. You'll look through it and smile, that is a promise.
Gabriel
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. This book was full of interesting facts about Legos. I found myself reading this book over and over again. Learning about the history of Legos and past themes was cool
Jacob
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was very interesting to read about the older Lego themes and the history of the product. It was also fun to see the themes that I currently have or remember.
Kyle
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
A really nice coffee table book covering the history of TLG...
Morbus Iff
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Greatest LEGO book ever: history, sets, culture.
Mark
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-library
A wonderous coffee table book about Lego history & sets... a trip down memory lane in full color that makes me want to dig my giant box of Castle Legos out & start building again. :-)
William
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hi, my name is Bill, and I'm a Adult Fan of Lego (AFOL). This book is so cool, and the companion book, Standing Small: A Celebration of 30 Years of the LEGO Minifigure, is also wonderful. These were a gift from my daughter's family for my 65th birthday, just recently celebrated. I'm looking forward to reading both continually for the foreseeable future.
amy
Dec 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Luther Davis
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned so many things about the Lego group I never knew before from this, although I think it should have the storylines of the play themes that had stories.
Orsolya
Chances are you have played with Lego bricks in your lifetime. Whether it was simply building your own crazy, imaginative contraption with those bright-colored bricks; or assembling a large pirate ship per Lego directions. Maybe you’ve even been inside a Lego Store or Lego Land. Whatever your connection to Lego is, one can’t deny that Lego is a firm foothold in the toy world. Combining elements of building blocks, model sets, and puzzles; who doesn’t LOVE Lego?!

Daniel Lipkowitz’s “The Lego Book”
Sam Still Reading
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young fans of Lego
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: I'm an AFOL
If you’ve had a look at my Instagram, you may have seen the odd Lego picture in there or two. I’m one of those people who grew up with Lego and still build in adulthood (my preferred theme is Lego Technics aka the ones that have gears, hydraulics and loads of tiny fingernail breaking bits). I bought this book for several reasons – to find out more about the company and its origins, to relive the Lego themes of my youth and to look at all the wonderful glossy pictures. I think this book is aimed ...more
Zachary
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
First 20-30 pages included some nice history of Lego. The other 80% of the book was really pictures of lego sets. I certainly enjoyed the memories of sets I played with as a child; would've preferred more background information (creators, context, design decisions) about fewer sets. Is probably in another book somewhere.

The thing I'll remember were the '10 important characteristics' for 'LEGO System of Play' product development:
"""
- Unlimited play possibilities
- For girls, for boyds
- Enthusiasm
Kevin
Jun 19, 2010 rated it liked it
What we have here is basically a 30-year history of the Lego minifigure showing its evolution up through figures that were released last year. And it's cool to sit there and browse through and reminisce about all the ones you used to have when you were young and the sets that came with them and the stuff you used to custom build for them.

My only issues are that it seems like some sets and figures were left out plus there were a couple factual errors that I saw. One I can't quite remember offhan
Kate
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You can never go wrong with Lego. For all you die-hard Lego fans, this is the No#1 book to read! Here is your chance to read the complete illustrated history of the LEGO products that discusses the origins of the company, and the evolution of bricks, figures, play themes, and related products; and features a time line that records the introduction of the first plastic bricks to the LEGO products of 2012. I could spend hours looking at this book. Another awesome read that has the WOW factor and t ...more
DJ
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you love Lego, get this book. It covers a LOT more than "The Ultimate Lego Book". Updated version. It still has the history/timeline of how Lego was created, but a LOT less focused on LegoLand, which bothered me in the The Ultimate Lego Book.

This book has updated on various collections, ultimate collections, movie collections, etc.

There were some things (charts, or MiniFig charts for example), that were extremely small, and I wish it was blown up to see the pictures of MiniFigs and how they
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of Lego, you'll love this photo splurge/classic DK glossy treatment of the subject. They certainly have built an empire and it is impressive to learn of all of their experiments and departments. It is written by a Lego insider and it shows--part self-promotion, part nostalgia, part tribute to their fans. That being said, I think my 3.5 year old and my husband have enjoyed looking at it equally. It certainly has piqued my interest in the HOW of what they do, more than in WHAT they ...more
Eric
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Maybe it's cheating to read a book like this, but I probably read it 2 or 3 times as it floated around the house. The history of Legos is amazing. Somewhere in the early 90's the beauty that was the minimalism and almost forced creativity that Legos challenged us with began to disappear. It's in the book. Them Scandinavians with there's IKEA's and LEGOS and such are mighty smart, fine-thinkin', sinister folks!
Nicholas
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
An excellent background into a very large and popular toy company. I had a childhood full of LEGOs yet I knew nothing of the origins of this awesome and creative toy. Even though I never thought of LEGOs as my toys, they were always a way for creative output. The book I felt was rather informative, but written too simply, as if it was intended for a younger audience. This is the best and worst part of the book, pictures are great!
Christopher Tran
I think the lego book is a fantastic book for lego fans out their. I'm one of those kids that always loved to play with legos and still does this book i love because it tells the story of how the lego started and then how it grew and became a big franchise but also it tells you all the themes in the lego universe and shows, games, art. I would think any body with skills like this they have a future.
Joff!
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This large and thick book features over 250 pages of bright photographs of the complete history and evolution of LEGO, right back to the 1930s. Rather than just being a picture book, it does contain a lot of text about the birth of the company and the history of the LEGO brick itself which would make an interesting area to explore if one was looking at topics to do with history, or toys from the past.
Amanda
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1st-grade
For LEGO fans, this book is a must-see! It's amazing to see the evolution of the bricks, the sets and read about how they are made and about different ways sets are designed. We learned about Creator sets from reading this and bought one as a gift which has been great fun. I think the Technic sets will also be ones to seek out in the future.
Nick
Feb 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This one was better than the mini-figure one - it has a nice overview of the history of Lego and how it's made, as well as memorable sets and collections. Yep, I'm a sucker for Lego...

I recognized a bunch of mine! I had the ice planet dudes, a bunch of pirate stuff, one of the best castles, I even had an entire port (they didn't show that one).
The Brothers
Asher (9yo) read. "This book showed the time-line of Lego bricks. It showed you different themes and the sets they liked from those themes. Had some really cool Lego sets and stories."

Dexter (7yo) read. "Awesome ideas. Stuff I didn't know about Legos that you could build. And cool Legos from the past."
Wt
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lego
I love this book and the mini-figure book that accompanies it. Basically it is a "wish list" in book form for all those wonderful LEGO sets you either had as a kid or didn't see the first time they were out when you were older.
Tyb10
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!
!!!
!!!
!!!!!!
!!!!!!!
!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holly Foley (Procida)
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book makes me regret getting rid of all my kids' toys! I now eagerly look forward to collecting toys for my nieces and nephews and grandchildren to have to play at my house, when we finally move closer to everyone so they will visit!
Jo
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A must for any boy who loves Lego. It's such a cool pair of books. Shows you all the mini figures they have created and all of the different lego series' that they've released. SUch a cool set of books.
LEPIN Technic Dream Car 20086 Chiron Racing CarBuilding Blocks Bricks 1 1 Aug 25, 2018 10:24AM
  • Lego Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary [With Mini Figure]
  • The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide
  • Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
  • Star Wars: Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle
  • The Brick Bible: A New Spin on the Old Testament
  • Dinosaur (DK Eyewitness)
  • LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World

$17.99 $1.99
  • John Quincy Adams
    $12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Marriage in Dog Years
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff
  • Maps and Legends: Reading and Writing Along the Borderlands
  • Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe
    $17.99 $1.99
  • SACRED JOURNEY OF THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR
    $9.32 $3.49
  • The Devil Soldier: The American Soldier of Fortune Who Became a God in China
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Ninety Percent of Everything: Inside Shipping, the Invisible Industry That Puts Clothes on Your Back, Gas in Your Car, and Food on Your Plate
  • Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story