Start by marking “Convincing Arthur (London Legal, #1)” as Want to Read:
Convincing Arthur (London Legal, #1)

Convincing Arthur

(London Legal #1)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  901 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
Mr. Leopold Thornton missed his chance ten years ago. He isn't about to let this one pass him by.

Given Leopold's reputation for vice and debauchery, Mr. Arthur Barrington has a fair idea why the sinfully beautiful man invites him to his country estate. A shooting excursion? Unlikely. Especially considering Arthur is the only guest invited to the estate. He shouldn't consid
Published July 21st 2009 by Loose Id, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Convincing Arthur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Convincing Arthur

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
2.5

When you assume you make an ass out of you and me.

Not me! These two knuckleheads. They are woefully lacking in the communication skills department, but they make up for it in the sex department!

I'm not going to mince words I think this novella is confused about what it's supposed to be. How am I to rate a historical novella that's mostly sex with an outlandish HEA? The sex is hot and bountiful with rimming, felching, buttsex, in the woods... well, you get it. It happens often and it's pretty
Daisiemae
I’ve decided that I am going to join in Shayne’s “Let’s chain Ava March to her computer so she can write faster” bandwagon. I just read her latest book, Convincing Arthur, and I really liked it! As usual, her sexy heroes and the interesting story they told, made me lose all track of time. Before I knew it I had the book read in one sitting, and it was time for supper!

When Leopold Thornton (Thorn) and Arthur Barrington first met at the age of nineteen, both men wanted something more out of life.
Julio Genao
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Julio by: Kimberly
Read a bit more, but still couldn't finish.

Should be called "(Thinking About Things and Fucking) Arthur."

I am sad.
Erotic Horizon
4.25Stars

Leopold Thornton has waited ten years for this moment, ten years for the man of his dreams, ten years to simmer and wait for his time – now that it was upon him he knew he cannot waste time on niceties.

The man of the moment, of this deep and long standing yearning is solicitor Mr. Arthur Barrington and he has arrived at Leopold’s country estate with alot of trepidation. From every thing rumoured and known about Leopold he was as easy as they come and he is certainly not the soul of disc
Ele

Review for the second edition.

**3.25 stars**

Convincing Arthur was about....well, Convincing Arthur. It's short, light and very very steamy.

Leopold has been in love with Arthur for the past decade, but he never managed to make his feelings known. Unable to find love in any other man, he develops a rather bad reputation. He frequents brothels, he drinks too much and is totally indiscreet about his affairs. But now he gets a second chance. All he has to do is Convince Arthur.

Arthur just got out o
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~3.5~

I read the first editions of Convincing Arthur and Convincing Leopold a couple years back. Most recently, I read Convincing the Secretary (the third book in this series to be published March 2016), and I liked it so much, I reread the second editions of the first two books, which, as far as I can tell, don’t contain any significant content changes (although the new covers are hella sexy!).

Leopold has been in love with Arthur for a decade, but Arthur, ever loyal and steady, was with anothe
MaDoReader
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Muy muy hot, pero la historia podría haber dado bastante más de sí.
Sheziss
This sums it all:

description

Straight to the point, let's not waste time.

description

Just the thing I was looking for at the moment, so I enjoyed it a lot.

The MC were VERY cute in the end.

description

It's short, cute and hot.
Elisa Rolle
If Leopold was a woman, it would have been the classical heroine who no romance author chooses as main character. Usually a widow, or a fallen woman, in the Regency romance they are friends, mistress (usually abandoned at the beginning of the story), housekeeper. Some daring romance authors made them the main heroine, but seldom, and usually with no much success. And so that Ava March decided to write the story of a corresponding male version it's quite original, and daring as well. In the few M ...more
Plainbrownwrapper
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
Not bad. Unfortunately, though, for me it has several flaws.

A few examples:

1. We are never given any reasons why Leopold fell in love with Arthur in the first place.

2. Although there is no insta-love on Leopold's part (as explained in the story, he's been in love with Arthur for 10 years), Arthur is swearing life-long fealty after just two days together in the country. Uh-huh.

3. The story is too short to develop anything adequately, much less give enough time to a developing love and trust.

4. Oh
Ami
Review for the 2nd Edition

Ten years ago, Leopold Thornton missed his chance to tell his friend Arthur Barrington how he felt. Trying to forget Arthur, Leopold practically drowns his sorrow by building up his reputation as notorious rake, whose dalliances are not limited to the female gender. Now, after Arthur and his lover separated, Leopold plans to convince Arthur to finally give him a chance, and invites the solicitor to come to his house at Yorkshire...

I haven't read the original
Andrea
Leopold Thornton has been in love with Arthur Barrington ever since he met him ten years ago. But when he finally had the courage to tell him how he felt, he saw Arthur with another guy. So he decided to devote his life to every form of debauchery, all in a desperate effort to forget the one guy he cared about.
Ten years later, Arthur has just broken up with his lover. Leopold decides to take his chance and invites him to his country house for a getaway to help him forget.

This was very short, b
Annelise Lestrange
Review originally posted on The Book Adventures of Annelise Lestrange :)

The Story

Arthur Barrington knew exactly what awaited for him when he accepted Leopold’s invitation for a short holiday at his friend’s country house in Yorkshire: pleasure beyond anything he knew and total chances of forgetting about his shattered heart. Recently out of a 10-years-long relationship, Arthur just needs to have a good time before search for another discreet gentleman, one willing to be committed, loyal and in l
Didi
Review for the 2nd edition

Please, let him find something, anything, worthy in me.
I don't know why I waited long to read this story. It was the sort of heart-tugged one, the end left me in a sniffling mess. In a good way of course.

Told in alternate third person POVs, Convincing Arthur was about two estranged friends reunited. Ten years ago, a turn of event forced Leopold to walk different path, lamenting over his tardiness by imbibing in carnal pleasures and spirits. Now he had a ch
Kathy
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Oh my heavens! This story had me so emotionally involved that I was in tears throughout most of the last half. Ava March has created a story that I would happily, very happily, read again and again... and again. The manner in which she introduced us to the shared past between Arthur and Leopold was smoothly done and detailed enough but not so much that we would lose focus on the here and now. The cast of characters was small, but all the more telling for that.

Leopold Thornton is so much more th
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
01/18/13: Revised rating after a couple of years of reading m/m: from 5 to 4.

What love can do to you! The love you were denied can lead you to a life of vice that can make you lose the same and only love you've ever wanted. This is what happens to the wealthy and handsome Leopold. On the night he decided to declare his love to his friend Arthur, he found out that Arthur had committed himself to another man. Not being able to forget Arthur, Leopold spends his life in endless and meaningless encou
Catherine
There was unrequited love requited, super hot sexy times, and two men grappling intelligently with the realities of the Regency era - all A+ material as far as I am concerned - but the story ends with a HFN rather than a HEA and that felt like a ploy.

Bear with me for a sec...

I don't mind reading subsequent books about established couples if there is a compelling plot arc running alongside the relationship arc (like in Abi Roux's Cut & Run or Charlie Cochet's THIRDS series), but when the su
Bibliophile
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
This story starts promising, but it feels rushed and not enough time to taken to really establish WHY Leo loves Authur so much (and for so long) nor is enough time established for Authur to return that affection so quickly. The only thing that redeems this story is Ava March's talent as a writer and a couple steamy sex scenes.
Mandi Schreiner
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was recently read a review of Convincing Arthur at Erotic Horizon. The idea of a m/m in a historical setting really appealed to me. I immediately purchased it and when I added it to my Goodreads list, I noticed Barbara had also given it high marks so I told myself I would read just the first chapter to get a feel for the book. A few hours later I was done ;)

Leopold Thornton, or "Thorn" is a known playboy. He has a new male lover every other day but as the reader you learn he really only has on
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
Ava March's Regency M/M romances are like a total addiction. She's one of the few authors who at least makes a point of trying to keep to the style and tone of a Regency novel, so I never feel jarred with the usage of modern slang. Not to mention her characters are just yummy in their cravats and trousers and Hessians. And normally, I dislike the so-called "rake" character, but I just can't help to cheer for poor Leopold, who's wanted his best friend, the reticent and more conservative Arthur, f ...more
Minerva
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Did I mention I love Ava March? Regency and hot men, the perfect combination. I can't wait to finish Arthur and Leopold's story in Convincing Leopold
Inshirah Kamal
my first ava march book
my second m/m historical romance
and it was GOOOD!!!!

i've always been obsessed with Historical Romance and have been wanting to read a m/m HR book for like soooooo loooooonnngggg
and i didn't really think that it would be possible to pull off since LGBT was prohibited in the 1800's and could likely get you killed but March pulled it off.
if i'm being ruthless i liked Cat sebastian better, because her stories had more depth and this was more like a quick read, but still goo
Kassa
Aug 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Ava March knows how to write hot erotica, which is good since that is the main focus of her latest offering. Fans of the author will likely enjoy this new story, which plays on familiar themes and characters the author portrays well. The high level of angst and drama may not sit well with all readers, but the hot sex overcomes a lot of those problems. Well written with emotion and lack of much setting, this story focuses more on the sex and the men than the historical aspect. Mostly this tale is ...more
Erastes
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-historical
Leopold thinks he’s been stood up, and he drinks and paces in his study.

This book starts promisingly Leopold is quickly introduced and we get a measure of the kind of man he is, one that will sleep with anyone, male or female. He blew his chances with the man he’s been obsessed with, Arthur Barrington, ten years ago and now Arthur has broken his his lover of ten years, he’s hoping to get him at last.

Leopold then goes on to mentally castigate his rival, Amherst: the man who has been with Arthur f
Trix
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Pretty bland. There isn't much to the background: no in depth image of the characters' lifestyle, other friends they interacted with, what attracted them to one another. Just a private interlude that brings our MCs together in the right ambient.

(view spoiler)
Camille
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm a fan of fanfiction, especially the slash variety and a lover of regency romance, so I thought this little tale of a M/M regency romance might just be up my alley. And it was and it wasn't... First I wouldn't call this a pure romance, it's more erotica (which is perfectly fine, great even) but the story was so flat that is was almost boring.

Perhaps this story is part of a series (I wasn't sure) because I felt like I should know more about these characters and just jumped into a story a coup
Chris
Jun 26, 2010 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Another good m/m Regency romance! It turns out that I don't mind (and actually enjoy) historicals if they aren't overburdened with historical details. I know that some love reading elaborate details of the clothes, the furnishings, the food... but that's what turned me off of historicals in the past. Anyway! Leopold's been waiting for Arthur to be free from a long-term and unfaithful lover. Now that Arthur's free, will Leopold's own debauched reputation keep Arthur away?
Jae Jaggart
Leopold was such a great character & the chemistry between Arthur and he worked brilliantly. What's not to love about a guy dramatically chasing down his lovers carriage in the pouring rain?
Claudia
hm ... this could have been good but the ending was really rushed. this one would have improved with more pages
Goodreads Librari...: Experienced Librarian - Original Publication Date 3 23 Jan 17, 2016 01:57PM
  • Seducing Stephen
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • An Improper Holiday
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Angel's Evolution
  • Beyond the Norm
  • A Gentleman of Substance
  • Discreet Young Gentleman
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • Kindred Hearts
  • The Lion of Kent
  • Second Sight
  • A Private Gentleman
Ava March is a bestselling author of sexy, emotionally intense M/M historical erotic romances. She loves writing in the Regency time period, where proper decorum is of the utmost importance, but where anything can happen behind closed doors. With over fifteen works to her credit, her books have been finalists in the Rainbow Awards and More Than Magic contest, and deemed ‘must-haves’ for Historical ...more

London Legal (3 books)
  • Convincing Leopold (London Legal, #2)
  • Convincing the Secretary (London Legal, #3)