Start by marking “Ashes to Ashes: 35 Years of Humiliation (and about 20 Minutes of Ecstasy) Watching England V Australia” as Want to Read:

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  22 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
This is Marcus Berkmann's brilliant and hilarious account of the highs and lows, let's face it mainly lows, of watching Ashes cricket for 35 years.
Published December 1st 2009 by Little Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Ashes to Ashes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ashes to Ashes

Hugh
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Quite entertaining in places especially when describing the lesser players but too much of the story is over-familiar for me to give this Christmas present more than 3 stars...
Paul
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2012
It is not a full history of the Ashes, but a recollection of the Ashes series that Berkmann remembers from the early seventies. Quite depressing in parts when you realise just how dreadful we were as a cricket team. That and the partisan nature of the selectors must have driven people to drink. I didn't watch all of the 81 Ashes when Botham was at his best, but I remember seeing some of it on the telly. I saw as much of the 2005 series as i could.

A must read for a cricket fan, but not as funny a
Danny
May 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Berkmann peppers the book with thoughtful insights about cricket and English self-doubt, but this is really the sort of book that only people who were there (or listening to TMS or watching it on TV) can enjoy. Which is to say that I enjoyed it a lot, at least the bits that I remember (or have read enough about to pretend to remember). I sometimes wonder how my life would be different I hadn't stumbled onto the 2005 Ashes, but I'm awfully glad that I did.
Tom
Martin Bailey
Jul 19, 2018
David
Jul 26, 2018
Marcus Berkmann was educated at Highgate School and Worcester College in Oxford in the UK. He began his career as a freelance journalist, contributing to computer and gaming magazines such as Your Sinclair. In the 1990s, he had stints as television critic for the Daily Mail and the Sunday Express, and has written a monthly pop music column for The Spectator since 1987.

With his schoolfriend Harry T