Start by marking “The Scrambled States of America” as Want to Read:
The Scrambled States of America

The Scrambled States of America

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  1,710 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews
At the first annual "states party," Virginia and Idaho hatch a plan to swap spots so each can see another part of the country. Before the party is over, all the states decide to switch places.

In the beginning, every state is happy in its new location. But soon things start to go wrong. Florida, who switches spots with Minnesota, is freezing in the frosty northern climate,
Paperback, with paperback book, Abridged, 40 pages
Published July 21st 2009 by Macmillan Young Listeners (first published October 15th 1998)

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Clever and fun with great illustrations and lots of extra dialog in the margins, although poor Mississippi and Nevada and their unrequited love. :(
Kristin Thomas
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-11-20
Summary: This book is about the 50 states of America and how they all switch spots on the 'map'. Kansas was tired of seeing the same old things everyday so all the states swapped. Once the states realize that things are different, all the states want to switch back and they are all happy again.

Evaluation: I rated this book as a 4. I like how this book not only introduces the 50 states, but it also gives a little commentary about each state so that readers know what they are known for.

Teaching
Annikka
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summarize the book:

One day Kansas wakes up and decides that he has had enough of staying where he is. Kansas is bored and is looking for adventure. As more states hear this, they start to agree with Kansas and at a party that night for all the states they decide it would be fun to switch places. However, the states soon realize that there's no place like home after many mishaps.

Identify the characteristics from the text that support the specific genre:

This book shows the geography of the United
Lauren
The Scrambled states of America by laurie keller
It isn't often you come across a children's book that's unique in it's story, fun in it's presentation, and a delight to read. Laurie Keller accomplishes this with "The Scrambled States of America". The unique idea of each state having it's own personality and voicing it's opinions on his place in the country, is both comical and creative. This book brings together colorful illustrations and a geography lesson, which will have children learning the
Gretchen Rosch
1. Kansas is absolutely tired of seeing the same thing everyday and wants something new. The states have a party and decide they want to all switch spots. Once they switch spots they realize how different things are and instantly want to switch back. Once the states are back to their original spots they are happy again.
2. k-5
3. Social Studies
4. Anyone who enjoys books that make them laugh will enjoy this.
5. For lower levels the kids can just read this to introduce them to states. For higher lev
Betty Ortega
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* Book Summary
This books Is about all of the states. One morning when all of the states are enjoying their first cup of coffee, everyone is happy that morning except for one state, Kansas. Kansas is upset because she wants to see other states and explore more. so all of the states decide to "travel"

*Awards
Pennsylvania Young Readers' Choice Award for Grades 3-6 (2001)

* Grade Level/ Interest level
3-6
* Appropriate Classroom Use
learning about the USA or maps
*Student Who Might Benefit From Readin
Sharmin
I absolutely LOVED this book! It made me laugh out loud, non-stop! It's a great way to teach geography to students in lower grades. It includes location, place, time zones, each state's unique qualities, and lots of laughs! One way to use this in your classroom would be after reading the part where all the states get mixed up, you can have them put together a class puzzle of the different states and put them in the right places. Then read on to see how the states in the story found their right s ...more
Kathleen Basi
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
My 7-year-old and I had tons of fun reading this book, in which the Midwestern states get tired of their place in the world and dream up a big moving party. The result is very cute, and a lesson in being satisfied with where and what you are. Some of the best moments happen around the periphery as states have little subplots and commentaries running throughout. A great way to stretch a child's brain and help them remember what part of the country the different states inhabit.
Latise
This book is defiantly going in my favorites pile! I love the humor in this book. What a great way to teach students about the wacky facts of the 50 states in our country. I think this book is more suitable for an older audience, some of the commentary would only apply to someone who has the intelligence to understand it. However, this book could be modified and read to an younger audience by omitting the side commentary throughout the book. :)
Tara
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this book! It is so cute. It is an awesome way to teach your class not only what the states are but also what they are known for. Each state says little commentary throughout the book that allude to what the people of the state are like. It's funny and has great drawings. Kids would love it!
Shakeema Gabriel
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-country
I love love did I mention love this book. This was one of my favorites growing up. This is an awesome way to teach children the fifty states, their locations, and facts about them. I like when they organized the party to meet up that was cute!!!
Karina
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is more than just an educational experience. It is a SPIRITUAL experience.
From the very first page, readers are swept into the marvelous world of our narrator, Sam. The actual beauty and realism of the illustrations will absolutely knock your breath away. Now, brace yourself for a tale so scintillating, that you'll never see a U.S. map the same way again.
Our hero (heroine? do anthropomorphic states have genders? another deep nuance of the book), Kansas, is presented with a dilemma. Th
Caity Howell
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd-5th grade
What a hilarious book! I have been a fan of this book since day 1. Not only does this book have interesting facts that I read time after time and never get bored, but it also has great illustrations to go along with them. The only frustrating part of the book is the love connection between Nevada and Mississippi. As a reader, I was confused and there was never an explanation to this love. For a young child to be reading this, it would be difficult to understand. The author, Laurie Keller, did a ...more
Madison
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ed212-library
If you are looking for a funny book to introduce all the states, Laurie Keller's The Scrambled States of America (Square Fish, 2002) would be perfect for you.

All 50 states that make up the United States are upset they haven’t seen more of the world. Kansas decides to throw a party for all of the states to attend, where they all decide to switch places and try out a new part of their country, but the new places aren’t all they make out to be.

This colorful children's book displays each of the sta
Selina
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of the United States wake up one morning and decide they are bored where they are at and want to move around. Kansas and Oklahoma plan a states party for all of the states to meet each other and make new friends. At the party, Virginia and Idaho make a plan to swap spots so they can see another part of the country. Before the party is over, all the states decide to switch places. In the beginning, every state is happy in its new location. But soon things really start to go wrong for all of t ...more
Walter
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book might just be a picture book, but I remember, pretty much EVERY night when I was 3, I forced my parents to read me this book. That's how much I liked it. This book is now at my grandmas house, and just a couple of weeks ago I found it in a bedroom and read it, then I felt like 3 years old again, it was good but weird at the same time. LEGITIMATELY one of my favorite books of ALL TIME, i'd recommend this to all of you people.
Rachel Banks
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What happens when each of the 50 US states gets tired of being where it is? They get up and move around of course! But after switching places, the states start to realize that things may not be as amazing as they first thought! This would be a great book to read to third or fourth graders for fun as well as to teach a little bit about the 50 states. There's even a nifty few pages in the back that name every state and its capital. Very funny story as well!
Flossmoor Public Library (IL)
This is an awesome picture book! It very humorously describes how Kansas is upset because he never gets to meet any new states, which do not border him. He decides to throw a party so the states can make more friends. They all end up mixed up in different places and come to realize that there is no place like home.

Miss Emily
Michelle Christensen
Cute book, clever idea, and fun dialogue. However, I'm not quite sure I see the point? Was it to introduce the states to children? If so, I don't think it spent adequate time on the geography of the states and their uniqueness. Was it to tell children a moral tale of being satisfied with your own problems? It was a cute way to do that but kind of fell short.
White House Public Library
This is such a fun book! Kansas decides that he's tired of seeing the same thing everyday. All of the states get together to have a party and decide they're going to switch places. It was fun for a while, but they all decided that they liked their original spots better and moved back.
Sharon
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book with the game Scrambled States and love it! It a cute, quick story about Kansas being bored with life and wanting to “scramble” things up! Entertaining for my younger kids just learning about geography.
Amanda Brooke
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elementary-reads
I think this books would be hard to read aloud because of all the little side conversations that the states have, but the kids would love it - so it might take extra time. You might use it to lead into the challenge of having students memorize the states and their capitals.
Jaime Sallis
Mar 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It’s okay. I think the audiobook it’s harder to know which state is talking. I’d like to read the actual book.
Kimberly
I owned this as a child, and loved it.
Amanda Hughes
Great book to introduce the states and what they are known for. I would use this for children in preschool and older. Awesome choice for both the household and classroom.
Erica Flory
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
super cute
Danielle
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun story! And the illustrations were over the top!!
Taylor
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eled340
Category: Picture books
Could be used to talk about the differences between states and geography.
Toryn
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a very funny book about the states of america!
Pam
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Great story to introduce the states.
  • Mapping Penny's World
  • My Brother Martin: A Sister Remembers Growing Up with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
  • We the Kids
  • Madam President
  • United Tweets of America: 50 State Birds, Their Stories, Their Glories
  • Rose Blanche
  • To Be a Drum
  • Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Actual Size
  • Me on the Map
  • Doggone Dogs!
  • Owen and Mzee: The True Story of a Remarkable Friendship
  • Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons
Laurie Keller grew up in Muskegon, Michigan. She always loved to draw, paint and write stories. She spent much of her time performing in a local dance tour company and dancing in and choreographing some civic theatre shows.
She graduated several years later with a BFA in Illustration. She also got a job as a greeting card illustrator at Hallmark Cards in Kansas City, Missouri. She is the author and
More about Laurie Keller