Start by marking “The Man from Stone Creek (Stone Creek, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Man from Stone Creek (Stone Creek, #1)

The Man from Stone Creek (Stone Creek #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  3,711 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
There was trouble in Haven, Arizona, and Ranger Sam O’Ballivan was determined to sort it out. Badge and gun hidden, he arrived posing as the new school teacher, and discovered his first task was to bring the rough ranchers’ children under control. So he started with a call on Maddie Chancelor, the local postmistress, and older sister of a young boy in need of discipline.

I
Published by Harlequin Books (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Man from Stone Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man from Stone Creek

J.Elle
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Linds
I was under the impression that his was a western romance, but I would say this is really more of a western geared towards women.

I know that doesn't sound different but I think the main difference is that the main conflict in a romance is between the couple or forces against them. In this book the conflict is basically the hero against the bad guys that come into the town.

One reason it's a little hard to get into is that the characters tend to be two dimensional. The hero is "perfect". Tough, ha
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
This was an action packed historical western with a fantastic hero! I fell in love with Sam right away, especially over the way he handled the kids in the town of Haven. He arrived from Stone Creek to take over as the new school teacher, but the town has suspicions that there is more to the new teacher than meets the eye. A bullying incident with the school kids brings him face to face with Maddie Chancelor and the sparks begin to fly. The tension between the two kept me turning the pages and fi ...more
Sarita
Really this could be a 3.5 Star book.

I love reading turn of the century westerns. Miller did a great job creating this small western town with its daily hardships and their strong willed people built for survival. She also did a great job keeping the characters true to their personalities. (Thank you!)

I felt the novel could have been non-fiction to tell you the truth.
The main characters Sam O'Ballivan and Maddie Chancelor were so realistic. I think if I had lived in 1904 Arizona I might have me
BJ Rose
This is about a marshall going undercover as a schoolteacher in a 1903 border town that has your one rich, nasty rancher who also owns the general store that is managed by a young woman. Maddie has a younger brother who is, of course, one of the students who harassed the previous teacher that Sam replaced. I liked the way that Sam & Maddie interacted with everyone else in this small, poor town and the ways they helped them. I wasn't crazy about the way the triangle of one man/two women was r ...more
Emily
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Linda Lael Miller is referred to as "The Queen of Western Romance." This is not one of her best showings. Featuring far too much death and (unnecessary) destruction, and an almost chaste romance, as well as a pretty convoluted mystery subplot, The Man from Stone Creek might be worth a skip.
Sam O'Ballivan comes to Haven, AZ to pose as a schoolteacher while also tracking down a band of murderous outlaws. Maddie Chancelor runs the general store in town and is raising her rapscallion younger brothe
Rebekah
This was like 17 different books stapled together and I kept reading after bedtime not because it was SO GREAT, but because I was like, "what ELSE can you throw in here, Linda Lael Miller?" Animal adoptions, child adoptions, drowning in the crick, romantic rivals, gold and train robbery and bandits, intercultural relations, WHORES WITH HEARTS OF GOLD, I'M SURE I'M LEAVING THINGS OUT. There's two dogs in this, and a guy named Rowdy. (the dogs are fine.)
Mareli
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but a bit boring. And left some open points. Where did the little girl go? (the one kidnapped with her mother?). I didn't find her anywhere in the book :(

But the heroine is a very strong lass! And I loved her. And besides dogs&children, a good combination!

Onto the next one!
Ladiibbug
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans
Recommended to Ladiibbug by: Donna Brooks
#1 Stone Creek series - Historical Western Romance - Strong 5 Stars!

Superb, one of my favorite reads of 2008 ... Donna, thank you SO much for the recommend :-)

Haven, Arizona Territory - 1903

LLM writes so descriptively that I could taste the dust from the trail, hear the horses drinking thirstily from the riders' hats at a well, feel the tension at a supper attended by romantic rivals ...

Maddie runs the local mercantile to support herself and her young brother Terran. A new schoolteacher, Sam, ar
3 1/2 stars
Linda Lael Miller does a wonderful job of depicting the Old West. I've read some of the McKettrick books and loved them, so I decided to pick up the Stone Creek series as well.

Sam O'Ballivan arrives in Haven, Arizona as the new school teacher. He doesn't look much like a school teacher--he's a man when most teachers are female and he carries a .45 on his hip.

Maddie Chancelor runs the local mercantile. She's the sister of the young Terran who Sam recognizes as a little troublemaker ri
✿-Anna-✿
The book was okay, not really much too it... the story line was interesting but I think could have been written with a little more excitement, I don't know it was just lacking in something.

The main characters where likable but it was more like you like them because its written that way, there really wasn't anything to really make them stand out to be OMG I really want to get to know that person better... they were just like a cookie cutter - cut out of what main characters should be like... and
Teresa
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh...

I pretty much never fall asleep while reading. If I start a book at night, I will read until I finish the book at 3 or 4 am. Up until the night before last, the only books I've ever fallen asleep on were required books for philosophy classes, oh and Great Expectations in high school. But the other night, I fell asleep on The Man from Stone Creek. I pushed through the next night, but I had to force myself to keep reading.

The characters weren't very well developed. Abigail was thrown in the
Kari
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2014
The Man From Stone Creek was a bit underwhelming. I liked the overall storyline. Sam is undercover as a school teacher while he tracks down a group of bandits. Maddie runs the local mercantile and takes care of her brother. The attraction is there, but Sam is promised to another woman

The problem I had with the story was the lack of heat between Maddie and Sam. They don't even kiss until almost the very end of the book. When they do finally kiss, they jump right into bed together. I just wasn't
L.  (My Woes, My Woes, They Continue To Grows)
2.5 stars.

Although it's billed as a romance, it reads more as a western. If author Linda Lael Miller had left it as a western, I would have been able to give it the full three stars. However, the romance was the weakest part of the story. There wasn't much of a reason for Sam and Maddie to be together other than the fact that they were the main characters so they were contractually obligated to fall in love.
Megan
I really enjoyed this book. It is the first book in the Stone Creek Series. I had already read books 2-5. It was nice learning Sam and Maddie's back story since I have read about them in the following books. It was also nice to see Rowdy's character being introduced because I loved his book, A Wanted Man. I can't wait to read the last book. You can't go wrong with a book by Linda Lael Miller.

If you like this series, you should definitely read the McKettricks series too.
Yulia Anggraini
utang ripiu. ..

g nyaka bakal suka am Miller in..cz seri yg Mckettrick gw cm selesai 1 judul n yg 2 lagi tak terselesaikaan....

kalimat2 x gampang dcerna ap adanya...tokoh2 x jg asiik...kasihaan am abigail... :(

n acara mandi violet itu bkin terharuuu...baiiik bangeet hero x jd guru...
n nasib penguasa kota itu menyedihkan...

daaan c perampok kereta apix...oraang itu ternyata....ckckckck...
Linda
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cowboys
I am a big fan of Miller's books, characters and story lines. I love westerns and especially cowboys and her books have tall, handsome, sexy cowboys. She leaves you wanting for nothing in every book and I have read them all.
Veronica
Mar 22, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book left a bad taste in my mouth. There was so much going on and I don't think it added to the story. Too many questions, too many loose ends. It was a very captivating book but I just didn't like it in the end.
Nancy Hollmaier
The good guy wins and rides off into the sunset with the girl.
Bonnie Cole
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most of the books I have read by Linda Lael Miller have been really good. That is if your like cowboys and romance.
Dawn
Love her series, they follow along with each other and never forget the past.
Amy Burke
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arizona ranger, Sam O'Ballivan, is sent on assignment to Haven, Arizona to break up a gang of dangerous thieves. Even though this is a romance, the story's main focus is on the gang and Sam trying to discover who the members are and to foil the gang's plan to upset a train carrying Mexican gold. The Haven store clerk, Maddie Chancellor, who Sam is instantly smitten with is somewhat of an after thought. Even though, I selected this book because I wanted to read a romance I was pleasantly surprise ...more
Jill Hardy
Thought I would be into this kind of book- I was not. Guess not enough hot and steamy for me, too much western. I should have read a little more what it was about. Slow read but it was good. Just not my personal favorite genre.
Wenny Widjaja
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jujur saja.., saya sempat bingung mau kasih buku ini berapa bintang. 2, 3, 4, atau bahkan 5 itu sempat tercetus dikepala saya.., yah tpi akhirnya yang standart aja, 3,5 star.

Kenapa 3,5 ? Hmm sekarang saya bingung harus menjawab dari mana.., kayaknya ini akan menjadi review terpanjang yang saya buat.

Bermula dari kedatangan Sam dikota Haven, seorang Ranger yang menyamar menjadi guru untuk memberantas komplotan perampok yang sekaligus membunuh dimana-mana bekerja sama dengan seorang ranger mexico
Rhonda Soukup
This story is about an undercover ranger who hides out in a small town as a school teacher. He meets the sister of one of his students, who is also the local store owner. Excitement happens from there: crime, shootouts, and fires. In the end the mystery is solved and they live happily ever after.
Kari
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One reviewer labelled this as more of a western than a romance, and I have to agree. My experience with regular romance (not including paranormal romance)is limited to Cassie Edwards' Falcon Moon and Isabel Alende's Daughter of Fortune. They were not the best--Edwards' takes the cake at the worst written, in my opinion--and I left feeling cheated from both.

Not so with Linda Lael Miller's The Man from Stone Creek.

Within the first few pages (I read the Kindle edition) I was taken by the words "sh
Melissa
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, cowboy
I like Linda Lael Miller's historical romances. Hey, they have cowboys in them and I'm a sucker for a cowboy. This book was ok, nothing spectacular but entertaining nonetheless.

Sam O'Ballivan is in town on a school teachers assignment. Or at least that's what he wants everyone to believe. Sam's actually a lawman and he's there to stop a gang of bandits who have been causing mayhem and hijacking people. What he doesn't expect though is to get attached to the townspeople like he does. Especially M
Kathy Martin
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another excellent Western romance from a master of the genre. Sam O'Ballivan comes to town where he takes a job as the newest school master. He is actually an Arizona Ranger looking for a gang of robbers. When he first arrives, he has to rescue the current school master from the well where his students have put him. Sam catches one of the kids and decides he has to talk to his sister about the kid's behavior.

Maddie Chancelor runs the local general store and can't believe her brother is
Virginia Campbell
"The Man From Stone Creek" is the man who started it all for author Linda Lael Miller's "Stone Creek" series. Set in Arizona in the early 1900's, this is a charming, entertaining, and touching western romance told in the author's vivid, descriptive storytelling style. Ranger Sam O'Ballivan comes to Haven, Arizona to replace the overwhelmed schoolmaster, and also to put a stop to the criminal careers of a band of outlaws. Sam is pretty sure he can handle the unruly students, but it is the sister ...more
  • Tall, Dark, and Texan (Whispering Mountain, #3)
  • Texas Bride (Mail-Order Brides #1)
  • Chasing the Sun (Blood Rose, #3)
  • Summer Breeze (Keegan-Paxton #3)
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • The Loner
The daughter of a town marshal, LINDA LAEL MILLER is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. The "First Lady of the West" lives outside Spokane, Washington, where her rescued horses, dogs and cats live the high life.

Published since 1983, Linda was awarded the prestigious Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievemen
More about Linda Lael Miller...

Stone Creek (6 books)
  • A Wanted Man (Stone Creek, #2)
  • The Rustler (Stone Creek, #3)
  • A Stone Creek Christmas (Stone Creek, #4)
  • The Bridegroom (Stone Creek, #5)
  • At Home In Stone Creek (Stone Creek, #6)