Start by marking “The Chief (Highland Guard, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Chief (Highland Guard, #1)

The Chief

(Highland Guard #1)

An elite fighting force unlike the world has ever seen...

Scouring the darkest corners of the Highlands and Western Isles, Robert the Bruce handpicks ten warriors to help him in his quest to free Scotland from English rule. They are the best of the best, chosen for their superior skills in each discipline of warfare. And to lead his secret Highland Guard, Bruce chooses the
Mass Market Paperback, 405 pages
Published March 23rd 2010 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Chief, please sign up.
Katherine McCarty's MacLeod's of Skye Trilogy and Campbell Trilogy both take place about 300 years after The Highland Guard. Some of the characters in the two…moreMcCarty's MacLeod's of Skye Trilogy and Campbell Trilogy both take place about 300 years after The Highland Guard. Some of the characters in the two trilogies are descendants of members of the highland guard.(less)
Kate Lachlan said something lewd about Tor's sister, how he'd like her to "oil his sword." Basically he wanted a blow job. It pissed Tor off, so Tor ended…moreLachlan said something lewd about Tor's sister, how he'd like her to "oil his sword." Basically he wanted a blow job. It pissed Tor off, so Tor ended up attacking him.(less)

Blacky *Romance Addict*
"Together they were a force to be reckoned with. He felt like he was standing on the edge of something momentous. As if history were about to be made. The dawn of a new age of warrior harkened—the dawn of the Highlander."

Photobucket
-Dunvegan Castle-

Well! I've found another author I will certainly adore Photobucket And one more fantastic Highlander series Photobucket I'm in heaven Photobucket

One warrior Highlander Chief
- enough to make you swoon Photobucket
An elite warrior Highlander army - heart palpitations! Beware! Photobucket

The background

I just have t
Shawna
5 stars – Historical Romance

WOW! I loved this! What an awesome start to an enthralling new highlander historical romance series about an elite fighting guard of warriors handpicked by Robert the Bruce to partake in a secret mission to free Scotland from English tyranny by overtaking the throne from King Edward’s rule.

Robert the Bruce’s elite force, the Highland Guard is made up of the best of the best, warriors from the Highlands and Western Isles, selected for their exceptional skills and tacti
Maria Clara
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pues la verdad es que me ha gustado, tanto la historia como los personajes. Tengo que confesar que me daba un poco de 'miedo' leer este libro, porque pensé que sería como todos los de los Highlanders, pero no es así. En cada página se nota el proceso de investigación que ha hecho la autora y la historia tiene su punto de originalidad. Realmente este inicio de saga promete!
Lisa Kay
Beautiful pictures of Isle of Skye.
I think the there is something about the lighting in that part of the world.
Isle of Skye

★★★☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Hmmm. I don’t know about this one. Several of the people I did a “buddy read” with in the GoodReads Western and Medieval Romance Lovers Group LOVED this highland romance (with several 5★); however, they read it while I listened. I certainly had to get used to Robert McNab’s narration. He did great job on the men. Nevertheless, since he has a dee
Misfit
Mar 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
Basic set up: Robert the Bruce needs an elite guard of highlanders who don't fight by the *knightly code of honor* who can go in and do the dirty work that the *true knights* won't do and send the awful English King Edward back south of the border where he belongs. They want Tor MacLeod to train and lead the elite force, but he's not interested so more devious means are contrived and Christina Fraser is the bait. Christina is happiest spending her time reading romance novels (I loved how it was ...more
Kristen
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Western and Medieval Romance Lovers group is reading this book during the month of April 2012
4 stars

The Chief is a well written and informative book that in many ways felt more like an historical fiction (the quality of the author's research is very apparent) than a romance novel. However, when the hero and heroine were together they certainly steamed up the pages. Their love story was captivating, heartwarming, and at times heartbreaking. Their much deserved HEA warmed my heart.

I enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.
♡Karlyn P♡
Smoking hot Highlander historical, reminds me of the best of Julie Garwood but with more heat. I really loved this one. It begins a new series, and I think it will be required reading for this series too as it really sets up the premise of a highly trained group of warriors fighting to free Scotland from King Edward and give Robert the Bruce his kingdome. Wonderful and fasinating as it wove real history into the story. My only niggle with this book is that the dialog seamed a bit contemporary be ...more
Kübra  Yağmur Aslanhan
Zor günler için yastık altında hep bir İskoç bulunmalı!
Ağır İskoç fanatiği -bendeniz- sözü akjjdhjfh
descriptionZaman zaman klan üyelerinin önünde bana sevgi gösterisinde bulunmanı isteyebilirim.”
Tor geri çekildi. “Tabii buna gerek yo-”
“Ateşli bir bakış, belki ufak bir öpücük. Çok zor olmasa gerek.”
“Kamp ateşinin etrafında MacSorley’yi dinleyecek olan sen değilsin.”
“Eminim bununla başa çıkacak kadar adamsındır,” dedi anlayış göstermeksizin. Korkusuz savaşçılar zırlamamalıydı.

Aylık İskoç dozumu almadığım
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Highlanders/historical romances
WOW! Monica McCarty, you earned a follower for life!

This book managed to push all my buttons... I'm a sucker for a Highlander!! There, I admit it...

Set in the magnificent Isle of Skye, off the West Coast of Scotland,

description
Try resisting this

in the year of our Lord 1305. Edward Plantagenet has crushed the Scottish resistance. William Wallace has suffered a traitor's death and Scotland, Highlands and for the first time in their history the Isles are under the rule of the English Crown. The land is savage
Ally
Highlanders make my barfy tummy feel better, apparently

So I tackled this thing today whilst home sick and enjoyed it. Don't feel much like going in to deets. Just telling you that I will read the next in the series.

fist bump

I'm giving it 3.7777777 solid fist bumps.
Laura the Highland Hussy
Sep 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highlander-books
Wow, what an amazing first book! This is book one in the Highland Guard series, and I was more than impressed. Sometimes an author comes along who puts so much history into a novel that it is like reading a textbook. Monica McCarty is NOT one of those, in fact the history of William Wallace and the time of the Bruce was inserted so seamlessly that it hardly felt like I was reading history. It was part of the story, and part of Christina and Tor's romance.
Christina's father is a noble who hates K
hayledie
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bu işkolikler her devirde aynı bok.

Adam ta kaçıncı yüzyılda işkolik çıktı ben de aldım elime İskoç niyetine okuyorum.

Tamam İskoç da işkolik İskoç mu olur Allah aşkına ya?

İşkolik dediğim de işte şey, evlendim ama karım değil klanım, yok işte önce klanım gelir klan benim her şeyim klana karşı sorumluluklarım YETTİ İSKOÇ PAÇAVRASI SUS ARTIK.

He şey diyordum, işkolik derken bahsettiğim bu. Görmemişin bi klanı olmuş sayıklayıp duruyor klan da klan diye. Avel.

Neyse böyle saydırdığıma bakmayın. İşkolik
My_Strange_Reading
#mystrangereading The Chief by Monica McCarty ⭐⭐⭐ For a historical romance it was pretty good. For a story set in Scotland though, it just wasn't Scottish enough. This story could have been in any time period or any characters except for the random Gaelic words and the war they were fighting in. I was signing up for Scotland AND romance, not romance with a Scottish flair. The characters were great though. ...more
Mo
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just what I needed, a tough Scotsman, unable to love, at least he thinks that is the case. Christina - you can get in trouble reading romantic novels - real life is not all Lancelot and Guinevere.... but you did get your HEA after plenty of passion, power struggle, deaths, fighting etc., etc. etc. First time reading this author but will definitely check out some more of her books. I am heading to Scotland at Easter - Skye was not on our list of places to visit but might just add it in now. Hopef ...more
Ashley the Magnificent™
The Chief features a codependent heroine and a fierce, distant hero. They very rarely converse. It is actually 2 books in one. The first takes place from about pages 1-300. Let's call this story "What Tor's Balls are Doing". The second takes place from pages 300-end. We'll call this one "Actual Interesting Plot".

"What Tor's Balls are Doing" (aka pages 1-300) was not my favorite part of the book, but the nudity kept me goin'. The chick here, Xtina, goes from strong female to lovey man-worshiping
Lana
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Highlander and historical - these two words always got me
I was expecting something easy to read without too much past, but this was too much for me!
I'll read the next book because I want to know if something would be different and I have nothing more to say...so will see!
Kathleen
Mar 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I must say that I LOVED this book. Monica sure knows how to write a great story with steamy love scenes and a to die for hero. I'm looking fowards to the next book in this series.
ivana18
Nov 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I don't really know what to say about this one.
I guess I'm a little baffled because I didn't expect such a detailed history lesson, but basically that's what I feel I got from this book.

Oh, and a detailed(ish) instructions about how to train a highlander special ops team, aka. the highlanders navy SEALs.

Our hero, clan chief Tormod MacLeod does his best to stay neutral and to protect his clan from Scotland’s war against the English. You see he's an Islander and up until a few decades ago the Is
Duchess Nicole
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-pcs, read-in-2011
I really like this book. It's sort of a classic story of woman loves man, man is too manly and warrior-like for her, doesn't know how to love. They have a great bedroom relationship, though. But the characters were likeable, and the guys are yummy. The author fully admits to having some sketchy historical facts throughout the book, but I think it's great that she really did some research on Scotland's history and tried to incorporate some real people and events. It's sort of her version of how t ...more
Story_girl
The moment I read the blurb of this book, I knew I had to read it. Never mind that it's a 12 book series. The idea of elite soldiers being trained in secrecy was intriguing in itself, but when these men happened to be Highland warriors, handpicked for being the best of the best, I knew I was sold.

This book lived up to my expectations. Both Tor and Christina were amazing. There was a heavy dose of romance to satisfy all historical romance lovers.

The way the bond between the men was created was v
Gilgamesha
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a great way to start my year of reading. Monica McCarty is hands down an amazing writer. I was really impressed by her in depth research of the period and her ability to fictionalize King Robert's wars to reclaim Scotland. The hero of the story was likable as well, but I did not like the heroine. She was too much of a doormat for me to appreciate her character in any way. I still enjoyed the story and all secondary characters. Great start to the series.
HeatherJay
Between my obsession of UF, Paranormal and Dystopian books, I LOVE me some historical romances. Highlanders, smexy times and heaving bosoms are my perfect trifecta in a good romance.

The Chief is the story of Tormod MacLeod. Chief of Clan MacLeod and Scotland's "Greatest Warrior of All". The story begins shortly after the death of William Wallace, prior to the crowning of Robert the Bruce as King of Scotland. Tor has remained neutral in the rising tensions between England and Scotland. His first
♥Rachel♥
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Big sexy highland warrior, and a sweet, determined heroine. What's not to like? Wanted to smack Tor upside the head a couple of times, but loved their romantic journey. Their story as well as the action, danger and mystery made this hard to put down.

Already downloaded the next audio-book.
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Nancy Gideon Moonlight Group Travelling Book. - Chosen by Giulia.

Nice combination of history and romance.
Jamie
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Now this was a great story!!! And loosely based on actual historical figures.. but Monica McCarty put her own romantic spin on things and gave us a rich detailed story that I thoroughly enjoyed. I'm going through a bit of a Highland phase right now.. and this was perfect!

Regan Walker
First in the Highland Guard Series a Bit Slow with a Whiny Heroine

I just don’t get the 5 star ratings on this one. I found it disappointing. McCarty can certainly write well (good dialog, well phrased narrative), and the idea of a special forces unit to defend Robert the Bruce was certainly an interesting concept, but the story and the match of hero to heroine were only so so.

Here are the low points: The story began slowly; it had too many pages of introspective thought (pages of the heroine ch
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars or C+

In 1305, Scotland's champion William Wallace is dead. The rebellion against England seems squashed. Robert the Bruce decides to form a special team of the greatest Highland warriors to fight agaist the King Edward's legion. Each area of warfare is covered.

The list of warriors includes:
Tormod "Chief" MacLeod: Expert Swordsman
Erik "Hawk" MacSorley: Seafarer and Swimmer
Gregor "Arrow" MacGregor: Marksman and Archer
Eoin "Striker" MacLean: Strategist in “Pirate” Warfare
Ewen "Hunter" L
Nonieღserenity2bliss
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! This book is a pleasant surprise! I didn't expect to love it as much. I thought the story would be serious and full of historical facts. But it turns out to be a sexy, romantic read.

I really like the writer's style of writing. She painted the picture vividly just by using the simplest terms and adjectives. I really love the way Christina was first introduced in the story; a young girl eating sweet plum while sneakily reading a love scene between Lancelot and Guinevere. I immediately take
❆ Crystal ❆
12/12/15 * Update. I've been thinking of this books for the last week and decided to read it again. It's just as wonderful as I remembered. I loved it. My favorite of the series so far.

I love the whole series.... but this is by far my favorite. I have read it 4 times and will read it at least 3 more. And, that's saying alot since I don't normally re-read books. I highly recommend the whole series!

They are all great books.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Not bad. Not bad at all. It has its irritations, but they're minimal. The main protagonist isn't exactly a whirling dervish in the brains department, but at least she's not a petulant child bride who stamps her feet all the time. Tor was a bit on the dense side, as well. Honestly, the frustration factor dragged down the rating for me, but I enjoyed reading it, and I will probably read the rest of the series.
  • Ravished by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #1)
  • The Sinner (The Return of the Highlanders, #2)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • Captured by the Highlander (Highlander, #1)
  • In Bed With A Stranger (McJames, #1)
  • To Wed a Highlander (The McTiernays, #2)
  • Claiming the Highlander (Brotherhood of the Sword #2/MacAllister, #1)
  • Never Seduce a Scot (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #1)
What do you get when you mix a legal career, a baseball career, motherhood, and a love of history with a voracious reader? In my case, a Historical Romance Author.

Like most writers, I’ve always loved to read. Growing up in California there was always plenty to do outside, but all too often I could be found inside curled up with a book (or two or three). I started with the usual fare: The Little Ho

Highland Guard (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2)
  • The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3)
  • The Viper (Highland Guard, #4)
  • The Saint (Highland Guard, #5)
  • The Recruit (Highland Guard, #6)
  • The Hunter (Highland Guard, #7)
  • The Raider (Highland Guard, #8)
  • The Arrow (Highland Guard, #9)
  • The Striker (Highland Guard, #10)
  • The Rock (Highland Guard, #11)
“She deserved someone who could see what she had to give and would lover her for it. Who wouldn't turn away from her every time she made a mistake. She wanted to be important to someone. Perhaps, it was unrealistic, but the alternative was far worse. She could live with a broken heart, but not at the expense of her soul.” 9 likes