Start by marking “Willowood” as Want to Read:
Willowood

Willowood

There's nothing ten-year-old Lily Sinclair likes about her new life in the city with her single mom. She misses her best friend, who seems to have forgotten her and their secret place, Willowood. She never sees her mom, who's working long hours at her new job. She's managed to make an enemy of the class bully. Mrs. Hiller from across the hall, who takes care of Lily after ...more
Published March 9th 2010 by Aladdin (first published February 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Willowood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Willowood

Monica
Dec 01, 2010 Monica rated it liked it
So far Lily hates her new life in the noisy city with neighbors that make so much noise in the night that she thinks that they are vampires , and almost every night her mom has to call the police on them because they can barley sleep . Lily is the main character of this book. ‘’Willowood Cecilia Galantes powerful novel of friendship and family.
Lily Sinclair misses her best friend Bailey who seems to have forgotten her . Lily has moved away and is very sad about that .She and Bailey had a secre
Deborah
May 15, 2010 Deborah rated it liked it
Lily doesn't want to live in the new city her mom moved them too. She just wants to go home where she can be with her best friend Bailey in Willowood, their secret place. Soon she finds herself enemies with the class bully, barely having anything to say to Bailey, and making friends with Nate, the son of a pet store owner who has Downs Syndrome.

I've read Cecilia Galante's other books, and consider myself a fan, especially of the Patron Saint of Butterflies. She has a note in the beginning of th
Julie
May 05, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit
A friendship story--Lily moves to the city from a very small town when her mother changes jobs. Lily's father has been absent her whole life, and she wonders about him even more once she is without her lifelong best friend Bailey and their magical hideaway, Willowood. Suddenly Bailey has no time to talk with Lily on the phone and has befriended their old nemesis. Lily must deal with a bully named Amanda at her new school and struggles to find her way in new friendships with smart, organized Gina ...more
Diane
Jul 15, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
"How could Mom have thought that moving to the city would be a good thing? Their lives had been so perfect back home in Glenview, where everything was quiet and green." Lily is having a hard time adjusting. Her best friend back home seems to have forgotten all about her. The bully at school is targeting her. Her Mom works so many double shifts that she hardly gets to see Lily. It just doesn't seem like she'll ever be happy again. But then, Gina, a girl at school, asks her to eat lunch. And Mrs. ...more
Destinee Sutton
Why did it take me so long to read this book? Because right after I started it I got a bunch of other new books and they all seemed a lot more exciting. I'm sorry, Willowood. You're a good little story with a lot of heart, but you are also a not a stand-out title in my Mock Newbery reading.

Just for fun, let me transcribe the notes I took while I was reading this: "Lily. Moving from small town to city. Friendship tested. Love of lizards. Absent father. Mother smokes. Willowood = Terabithia-like
Bailey Roehrich
Apr 10, 2013 Bailey Roehrich rated it liked it
This book was pretty good. I think you should read this book because it is kind of sad, but it is really sweet and nice at the same time. If you have moved away and haven't got to talk to your bestfriend after that, this book is for you. She moved away because her mom needed a better job. She and her best friend, Bailey, were very sad that she had to leave and go to a bigger city with a better job. Everytime her mom would say they are going on a trip, she would get so excited and hope they were ...more
Addison Children
Feb 10, 2014 Addison Children rated it it was ok
Shelves: chapter-books
Lily is upset to leave her BFF behind following a move, but soon learns her friend has moved on and we all forget about her. Lily has trouble with the class bully, but makes friends with the class nerd and a man with Down Syndrome. I was a little creeped out by how chummy she becomes with a adult male, I thought somewhere the book said he was in his thirties. I mostly thought of him a teen, and of course his mental age was about 8. Spoiler Alert: They all live happily ever after. Okay girl book.
Becky
Feb 15, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
Chloe, my 9 year old daughter, told me I HAD to read this! As it's one of her recent favorites and it's by Cecilia Galante - another of her favorite authors!! So I did. I could see every reason why Chloe loved it - animals, friendship, and family. :) It was well-written and a great story for our juvenile readers. It's the story of Lily- she is working though her struggles with who she is, why she has no dad, moving and true friends. Fun read and I'd recommend it!
Libriar
Feb 22, 2010 Libriar rated it liked it
Enjoyable book about a 5th-grade girl (only child, single mother) adjusting to life after moving to a new city. There were a few interesting elements like her friendship with a man with cerebral palsy. At the same time, the age level of the girl didn't always seem to fit with the plot. A decent read for 3rd and 4th grade girls.
Taylor
Oct 16, 2015 Taylor rated it it was amazing
Willowood was a great book! It's about a girl named Lily Sinclair who moves to a new city and a new school. She doesn't really like it. Her best friend Bailey doesn't talk to her much anymore, she has to try to make new friends at her new school, and she has to deal with the biggest bully in fifth grade, Amanda Peterson. I love the ending! It is definitely my favorite part!
Dolores
Mar 10, 2016 Dolores rated it really liked it
A nice look through the eyes of a young girl adjusting to a move and the trauma of starting over. The interest in lizards was a nice touch, since I knew nothing about them and it was cool to learn. I really liked that the characters all had shades of gray. No one was all bad or all good and adults actually helped with the bullying.
Saryna
Jul 26, 2016 Saryna rated it it was amazing
I know you guys know I am a pretty fast reader and have a reasonably high lexile. You may think judging by the time I finished and started this book I probably didn't like it, but that was just because I didn't have much time on my hands to sit down and read this book.

But... it was absolutely terrific. I recommend it. Hats off to the author.
Karen
May 20, 2010 Karen rated it liked it
Fairly underwhelmed by this one. It's sweet enough- good premise. I think the problem is that I went into it thinking it could be a Newberry contender and had much too high expectations for it. Might appeal to some of my 6th graders - probably won't be able to attract any of the older students to it.
Angela
Dec 26, 2010 Angela rated it liked it
Really cute and engaging story about a fifth-grader, new to a city school. She yearns for the country and her old friends, but finds some new ones after learning a lot about herself and others. Touches on bullying, special needs adults, parents who abandon children, adults who care about children that aren't their own bioliogically, among other topics.
Ashley
Nov 22, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it
Galante does a good job with contemporary realistic fiction that is not sensational or preachy. Willowood is a solid story about friendship and family with some real-life drama. Well-done and I enjoyed it, something I struggle with in middle grade fiction of this sort. See: Love Me Tender. Will definitely keep up with Galante.
Aimee Owen
Mar 26, 2012 Aimee Owen rated it liked it
I found it hard to be sympathetic with many of the characters, as they were often rash in forming judgment on others and rather self-absorbed. But I can see a lesson here on patience, empathy, and standing up for yourself, especially for readers around the age of Lily, the main character. Overall, a good read.
Lisa
Nov 07, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
It's a tough transition from small town to big city and Lily doesn't like it. She also doesn't like going from having her mother to herself to barely seeing her with this new job. A neighbor watches Lily and introduces her to a few new people and a pet shop. With her new after school job, Lily learns a lot about herself and others.
Anne Kalkowski
Jun 17, 2012 Anne Kalkowski rated it liked it
Originally, had a hard time connecting with the main character, but she eventually grew up quite a bit and ultimately grew on me. A good story about friendship, family, and taking care of each other.
Ambri Refer
Oct 27, 2013 Ambri Refer rated it liked it
Shelves: youth, 2013
Not bad, but not great. Other characters in the book needed a little more development. There was too much detail when mentioning food and not enough detail when describing characters. Would have been interesting to hear more from the bully's point of view.
Mareesia Avila
Oct 01, 2015 Mareesia Avila rated it really liked it
Sarah R
Apr 03, 2016 Sarah R rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed it. And I love the plot because the setting is different in every chapter! I would definitely recommend this book
Rhianna
Feb 18, 2016 Rhianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-fave
I love this book. The way you see inside the main character's head is amazing. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a budding story.
Kathy
Aug 30, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
Good characters. Bullying, character with Downs, friendship, adjusting to a new town, school, iguana eggs.
A story that has been written before but with good characters.
Herbert
Herbert rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2010
Betsy Harloff
Betsy Harloff rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
Melissa Alexander
Melissa Alexander rated it it was ok
May 07, 2013
Kat Crabbe
Kat Crabbe rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2013
Jessie
Jessie rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2013
Jayne Roozeboom
Jayne Roozeboom rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Rebecca Hernandez
Rebecca Hernandez rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
  • Cal Ripken, Jr.'s All-Stars: Super-Sized Slugger
  • Fish
  • This Means War!
  • Wild Girl
  • The Adventures of Beanboy (Beanboy #1)
  • Seaglass Summer
  • Vanished
  • Mia
  • Water Balloon
  • Between Two Ends
  • Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework
  • No Girls Allowed (Dogs Okay) (Secrets of a Lab Rat, #1)
  • The Wonder of Charlie Anne
  • Black Jack: The Ballad of Jack Johnson
Cecilia Galante is the author of several middle grade, young adult and adult novels. She also teaches 8th grade English at Wyoming Seminary Prep School, and teaches creative writing in the MFA program at Wilkes University.
More about Cecilia Galante...