Start by marking “Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9)” as Want to Read:
Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9)

Dead and Gone

(Sookie Stackhouse #9)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  165,106 ratings  ·  4,419 reviews
The vamps have been out for years, and now the weres and shifters have decided to follow the lead of the undead and reveal their existence to the ordinary world. Sookie Stackhouse already knows about them, of course - her brother turns into a panther at the full moon, she's friend to the local were pack, and Sam, her boss at Merlotte's bar, is a shapeshifter.

The great reve
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published April 6th 2010 by Ace Books (first published 2009)

·  165,106 ratings  ·  4,419 reviews

Jayson
(B+) 77% | Good
Notes: Slightly different writing style with heavier use of inner monologue and foreshadowing. Not really an improvement.
Tatiana
Apr 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, urban-fantasy
It’s not the worst book ever written as some reviewers say, but it’s not that good either. Charlaine Harris failed to deliver what we all wanted to read about and over-delivered on what we didn’t really care for.

What I mean is most of us keep reading this series primarily to find out who Sookie finally settles with. No matter what team you were on – Eric, Bill, Quinn, Sam – you expected some kind of resolution, at least temporary, to her love life. We got none of it. There was so little develop
This was an okay Sookie story, although it was a bit dull in places.

Sookie was once again in trouble in this story, although I have to say that putting lemon juice in water pistols to kill fairies was quite clever!

The storyline in this was about Crystal being killed, and someone trying to kill Sookie, as well as some romance with an old favourite! The first half of the book dragged a bit, but the second half was better, and I really liked the romance!!

The ending to this left Sookie still in dang
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
May 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pam Nelson
❤ 5 Dead and Gone Stars ❤

This book is action PACKED, Sookie needs protection from the fairies.

Strange deaths, horrible deaths. And confusion of Love.

It’s weird read this series because somethings happened in the TV True Blood and somethings didn’t. And once in a while they sync up.

The whole fairies part still kind of baffles me. And why is Sookie still hung up on Bill only when he doesn’t something nice for her. Saving her life and all of a sudden he is a hero, Erik did that same thing and yet
Jenn
May 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
will start off by saying I love this series. I started it long before the TRUE BLOOD HBO series came out so I have been faithful from the beginning, and have always waited anxiously for the newest book in the series. I also reread the series each time a new book comes out to keep refreshing. Most were great book. A few of her more recent ones left me a little hungry for more as they didn?t really hit the spot but they were OK. I was excited for this book hoping Miss Harris would really expand u ...more
Jamie Collins
The best thing I can say about this book is that it has a lot of Eric in it. Otherwise I think it's possibly the worst of the series.

Charlaine Harris has a slow, rambling style of writing, which I happen to enjoy in a nice, fat 800-page novel. When you're publishing 300 pages of widely-spaced type in a large font, you need to be more focused in your storytelling.

This book seems like half a novel. There are several plot lines left hanging, and the ending is rushed, as if Harris saw her deadline a
Wanda
2019 Re-Read
“I added to my mental list of the odd things I'd done that day. I'd entertained the police, sunbathed, visited at a mall with some fairies, weeded and killed someone. Now it was powdered-corpse removal time. And the day wasn't over yet.”

I’m enjoying the inherent humour in this series. Harris knows that she’s writing soap opera story lines and she’s enjoying it. Especially when Sookie arms herself to deal with malevolent fairies—with a garden trowel and a squirt gun of lemon juice! An
Lunasea
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG OMG OMG!!!! This book is the reason I came up with six stars.

I love Sookie, she is one of my favorite female protagonists. She has just the right amount of supernatural abilities combined with just the right amount of struggles with that power. Her life is hugely out of her control, yet she manages to fight for what little she can have.

I love Eric. He is one of my three favorite vampires (the others being Thomas Raith from Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and Quinn from Keri Arthur's Riley Jense
Emily May

It wasn't a bad story, I'll say that much, but the series does seem to be weakening. The problem for me is the change in focus from vampires onto every other kind of supernatural being you can think of. In the first couple of books of the series, I loved the stories and characters, couldn't get enough of them... and then came werewolves and shifters, I didn't like them as much but I was just about willing to accept them. Then it just got worse and worse. I found that I didn't care about werepant
Suz
May 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I just finished Dead and Gone and I must say that I loved it. I agree with previous reviews that it was much darker than previous Sookie's but I see that as a good thing. Life is changing Sookie and she is shedding some of her idealism, which is something all of us must face to some degree or another to find our own truths.

This books has many painful losses, but it also has a significant amount of growth on the parts of many of our main characters. I too am anxious for the next book if for no ot
Allison (The Allure of Books)
***Spoilers***

Well, I am thrilled that Eric and Sookie's relationship is back, sorta. But nothing is really ever how it appears in this series, and none of their time together seemed 100% normal to me, like there was something important we still need to know. The more blood they exchanged the more I worried that Eric will end up dying at some point. I hope not :( Although he is controlling to a degree that would piss me off royally in the real world...it fits his personality and job description
Geraldine O'Hagan
Oct 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Chanele
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, southern
This is probably my least favorite of the Sookie novels, but that is not to say that I didn't enjoy it. Harris is back with her witty dialogue and elaborate cast of characters, but as the story arcs away from the vampires, it loses something.

The last 50 or so pages move so quickly and there are too many references left open for the future. I like that the previous Sookie books could stand alone. This one gave me the sensation that Harris is just priming us for the next book, which was a bit dis
Hope Corizzo
Ria
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
Sookie Stackhouse's All-Male Revue.

Bitch is fucking everyone.what an iconic thot.
Sooo this was good.thank god.i'm pretending like book 8 isn't a thing.what a pointless filler.the plot was entertaining and the mystery was interesting.side not,fuck Crystal?somehow i'm still invested in this series but i don't know when i will buy book 10 because the rest of the series isn't on sale.

-I am too big for some.
-Bring it on.
He shoved forward.

P.S. i can't read the sex scenes.i always skip them.they ar
Jim
The scattered book 8 set up for this one nicely & much was resolved. This book was more on track, as usual & about the same caliber. It should be read in order. It's a soap opera, so you need the background to appreciate how our heroine works through her various difficulties. All in all, more fun reading candy.

28May11 - re-read the HB which I now own. Teresa loaned me the new book #11 & I've 're-read' the series up to this point in audiobook format, downloaded from the local library
Jilly
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would say that as a general "life rule" it would be a good idea to keep out of immortal wars when you are a human. You're gonna get your ass kicked while all the supernatural creatures can just heal, and can't easily die. Of course, Sookie is still kind of a dumbass, and finds herself in the middle of a fairy war. This is after being in a vampire war and werewolf war.
werewolf vampire war photo: HalloweenFriends HalloweenFriends.gif
All we need to make this party better is a stupid redneck girl..

The best part of this book is that Sookie finally starts to com
May 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Alisa
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
I had conflicted feeling about this one. I hated how there came to be so much angst from Sookie about Eric. This is the one where he "tricks" her into a vampire marriage to try and protect her from Felipe de Castro.

There's some boring stuff about Jason and his wife, Arlene does something stupid and boring, and then there is the whole fairy war thing, and that just never appealed to me much. I think it was dumb to kill off (view spoiler). There is a reveal about Sookie's
Summer
It was kind of weird reading this book. Perhaps my memory is a little skewed but in most Sookie books there's always a lot going on and Sookie is hardly home. However in this book it was interesting in that Sookie was in Bon Temps the whole book. She went to work and tended the garden all while the supernatural stuff came to her. It felt a bit slow to me but Eric was in it a lot and that's more than enough to keep me happy. I'm certainly curious as to hearing his explanation for him being MIA in ...more
~☆~Autumn♥♥
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one because the ending is too painful. Read a different one
Recommended to ~☆~Autumn♥♥ by: not sure
The ending of this one is very painful as those sadistic fairies torture Sookie and kill a few of her friends. I sure enjoyed it five stars right up until near the end but when I read about Claudine dying and some others after being tortured its just too much for me. I guess fairies are the most vicious and evil creatures of all! I hope the door to Fairy is sealed permanently.
Chloe
Bob knows I love a good popcorn read and they don't get much more corny Charlaine Harris' Sookie books. Reading about Sookie's misadventures with the vampires that live out in the open is always a good way to spend an afternoon in the sun. So finding out that the newest addition to the Sookie series came out on Tuesday had me more excited than I am comfortable admitting.

Four hours later the book is finished and I'm relaxing in the heady afterglow of a fun tale well spun. Yet, was this a Southern
Marianne
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 ★s

Dead and Gone is the ninth full-length novel in the Sookie Stackhouse series by popular American author, Charlaine Harris. The weres have decided to come out to the world, and the supe community holds its breath, waiting for the reaction, which is mixed, but a lot less negative than might have been anticipated. There are incidents, of course: Sam’s mother is shot and Jason’s wife is brutally murdered, although whether this is a reaction to weres, or something more personal, is not clear.

Th
Lauren
Beth
Holy heck on wheels, Vampire Bill managed to redeem himself! Who knew?!?

I felt like this was very much an "in-between" book that could send the series in any number of directions in the future, but it was still very entertaining and well worth the read for anyone who loves the series.

Since the book is so newly published, I'm reluctant to say anything more that might be too spoilerish so I'll leave it at this and strongly urge anyone who hasn't read it yet to do so as soon as possible!!! :)
Jefferson
May 05, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry to say this one was really disappointing. I think Charlaine Harris' writing has come a long way since the start of this series, but I think Dead and Gone is a considerable step backwards, and really has me thinking this series should be given an honourable end...meaning sooner than later.

Obviously there's at least one more book coming in the series. Sadly, I'll be hoping for one last reasonable attempt, rather than waiting with great anticipation as I have for some of the previous books.
The Library Lady
More brain candy from Harris. The TV series is a lot (sorry) meatier, but this will help to pass the time until the new season in June.

Fantasy Buddy Reads: Dead and Gone [Apr 22, 2018] 19 32 May 07, 2018 03:59PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris 5 20 Sep 09, 2015 01:04PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #4 - Dead and Gone 1 2 Jan 17, 2014 06:52PM
SPOILERS! Sookie and Eric 3 73 Sep 20, 2013 10:32PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris 1 3 Jul 04, 2013 10:19AM
will socki become a vampire 109 374 Aug 25, 2012 01:59PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Undead and Unpopular (Undead, #5)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Riley Jenson Guardian #6)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an

Sookie Stackhouse (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)
  • Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2)
  • Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3)
  • Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4)
  • Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)
  • Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #6)
  • All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #7)
  • From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8)
  • Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)
  • Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11)
“Don’t you just hate nights like that, when you think over every mistake you’ve made, every hurt you’ve received, every bit of meanness you’ve dealt out? There’s no profit in it, no point to it, and you need sleep.” 294 likes
“Finally, a human man saw me as intensely valuable. Just my luck he was happily married and thought I was a freak.” 48 likes