Start by marking “Dark Horse” as Want to Read:
Dark Horse

Dark Horse (Elena Estes #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  8,204 Ratings  ·  331 Reviews
In her latest thriller, New York Times bestselling author Tami Hoag takes readers on a suspense-filled ride of shocks and twists leading to an explosive finish. It is the story of an ex-cop, a missing girl, and a killer locked in a race where there can be only one winner--and the losers die trying.

In a trailer in a Florida swamp, time is running out for eighteen year-old
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Horse

Bark
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, thriller
2.5 Stars

This is a thriller that, for me at least, wasn’t very thrilling. It involves a missing young woman, some lovely horses, some not at all pleasant animal and human cruelty and a slew of assholish suspects, all of whom are decidedly up to no good. That part of the plot was pretty lackluster. I guess I’ve become accustomed to more thrills in my thrillers and a little emotion – even if it is rage – but this one just left me feeling dead inside.

I guess my main problem was with the main charac
Shaun
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016, tami-hoag
I love mysteries. I love horses, and I love Tami Hoag's style of writing, so it's no surprise I enjoyed the first installment of her Elena Estes' series.

Interestingly, the rough-around-the-edges, obnoxious protagonist of this series who is Elena Estes (and who seems to be hated by some of the more negative reviewers) doesn't normally appeal to me, but in this case I found it hard not to like the abrasive, flawed, once-respected now hated-by-everyone ex-cop.

I also like the use of first person/th
Susan (the other Susan)
Elena Estes is a fabulous character, I would friend her on Facebook but she'd never go on Facebook, and if she did and we were besties, the Russian mob would come after me with dental drills, so it's probably for the best.

Her Elena Estes stories are, I think, the best thing Tami Hoag has ever written. What a transformation from old-school contemporary bodice-rippers to compelling thrillers.

I'm fascinated by the seedy world Elena inhabits in glitzy Palm Beach, and the snark-fest anonymous tell-
LJ
DARK HORSE-Ex
Hoag, Tami
Elena Estes is a former cop whose bravado on the force resulted in a colleague's death; it also cost her her job and her self-esteem, not to mention the psychological and physical fallout from nearly being shot. She's been keeping a low profile at a friend's Florida ranch, but her world is disrupted when 12-year-old Molly Seabright, wise beyond her years, attempts to hire Elena to find her older sister, Erin, who has been missing for two days. As Elena digs deeper into Eri
Lynn Michell
OK, so this is how an author produces a book a year. I’m learning.

Having just finished Cry Wolf, I had a sense of deja vu from the beginning. Oh here comes the same heroine. In Cry Wolf, ex-lawyer Laurel has messed up a court case, lost an important case and caused terrible grief to abused children whose case was thrown out. Leaving her job, she comes home to the Bayou to nurse her wounds and heal her troubled conscience. In Dark Horse, Estes has messed up an important police raid, got a fellow
Annika
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark, creepy murder mystery set among horse showmanship and horse sports. I know next to nothing about that setting, but Tami Hoag takes care of that for those readers in the dark.

I read the second Elena Estes book, "Alibi Man" a couple of years ago and I remember liking that one, too. I don't think these books need to be read in order. You'll get a sinister murder mystery either way.

Elena Estes is a depressed, borderline suicidal ex-cop who moves into the guest house on the property of a rich,
Chana
This book was kind of boring, I would really rate it a 2 and a half.
The basic plot line involves a missing teenager who works in the horse stables. Because of the evidence, she is presumed kidnapped and held for ransom. While that is going on another girl is killed in the stables. There are also possible shady deals, other murders alluded to, and a dead horse.
The PI, who is not a PI, who is "hired" to investigate is an x-cop with bad memories. She is tough but the conversations always sounded
Dominique
Didn't like this book at all. The suspense just fell flat. The characters were boring. The plotline looked interesting but it wasn't a thrilling, can't sleep because I need to know what happens story. It felt one note all through the book. The relationship between Elena and Landry was plain boring. Very disappointing novel.
Vicki
My first Tami Hoag book and I'm sure there'll be more! Dark Horse was a good, intricately involved mystery involving the kidnapping of a teen girl, a murder of a horse and and others, as well as having a good twist to it.

Molly is an adorable, precocious little 12 year old girl who solicits the help from a pretty much has-been, washed up old police detective named Elena Estes. Molly is concerned about her "missing" sister who's been gone from 3 days; however, what's odd is that the girl's mother
Cheryl
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book!! I was disappointed to learn there is only one other book with Elena Estes - she is an interesting character. I hope Tami Hoag continues this series one day.
Goodreads Librari...: Book in Dutch - description should be in Dutch 2 20 Jun 15, 2016 05:55AM
I am loving Dark Horse 5 14 Mar 30, 2014 07:27PM
  • The Stone Leopard
  • Caravan of Dreams
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor (Extraordinary Voyages, #13)
  • After All These Years
  • Bad Twin
  • The Coalwood Way: A Memoir  (Coalwood, #2)
  • The Moon Pool
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • Killer Dreams
  • Lancelot
  • The Shape of Things to Come
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Killer Takes All (Stacy Killian, #2)
  • The Survivors Club
  • Cry Mercy (Mercy Street #2)
Tami Hoag is the #1 internationally bestselling author of more than thirty books published in more than thirty languages worldwide, including her latest thrillers—BITTER SEASON, COLD COLD HEART and THE 9TH GIRL. Renowned for combining thrilling plots with character-driven suspense, Hoag first hit the New York Times Bestseller list with NIGHT SINS, and each of her books since has been a bestseller. ...more
More about Tami Hoag...

Elena Estes (2 books)
  • The Alibi Man (Elena Estes, #2)
“We never know the quality of someone else's life, though we seldom resist the temptation to assume and pass judgement.” 2153 likes
“But then I had long mistaken being spoiled for being strong, being defiant for being independent, being reckless for being brave.” 28 likes