Start by marking “The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder” as Want to Read:
The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder

The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder

How do snow crystals form? What shapes can they take? Are no two snow crystals alike? These questions and more are answered in this visually stunning exploration of the science of snow. Perfect for reading on winter days, the book features photos of real snow crystals in their beautiful diversity. Snowflake-catching instructions are also included.
Published October 7th 2009 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Snow

Mischenko
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder by Mark Cassino is a non-fiction picture book for children which teaches all about snow.

It's a simple read that begins with clouds, and takes you through the life cycle of a snowflake in an easy to understand format.

It contains the most beautiful and fascinating snowflake pictures I've seen. Children will learn about all the different shapes of snowflakes and the dendrites they form.

"Snow crystals are like us-we're each different, but we have
Lisa Vegan
I am a science nerd, though not a very well educated one. So, this book thrilled me. All throughout the book there are photographs of actual snow crystals (magnified of course.)

The book tells in detail how snow crystals form, and I found the information fascinating. At the end, there’s a project about how to catch your own snow crystals, which could make for a fun and educational activity.

I also highly recommend the book Snowflake Bentley. Reading the two books at about the same time would all
Kathryn
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love snowflakes (but, as I now know after reading this book, I should call them "snow crystals") and this is a wonderful introduction to the science behind snow for children and, I think, adults, too. The illustrations are mostly photographs of snow crystals and they are exquisite. I think snow crystals are one of the most beautiful things in nature and I absolutely love the variety and that no two are alike. The text is pleasant, accessible and informative without being too dry (or trying to ...more
Abigail
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Snow Lovers / Children Interested in Science
Photographer Marc Cassino explores his passion for snow in this debut picture-book, written together with physicist Jon Nelson. From the origin of snow crystals in tiny specks - of dust, ash, even pollen - around which are built ever more complex structures of ice, through a discussion of the different types of crystal possible - star-shaped dendrites, plate crystals, column crystals - The Story of Snow has everything a budding young scientist needs to know about this cold white stuff! The book ...more
Kathryn
Nov 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I WOULD GIVE THIS BOOK ****** SIX STARS IF I COULD. Everyone that lives where it snows or might snow should have this book, it explains everything so easily and even tells you how to catch snowflakes!
Eliane
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is about the snow, clouds, and how the snow works. I like this book because this talk about the snow - how do the snow crystals form, what shapes they have. Are no two snow crystals alike? I give this book 5 stars.
Crystal Marcos
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder to my daughter today and it surprisingly held an 18 months old attention most of the book. I loved the book and I do enjoy learning. A perfect read for this time of year. I can't wait to get out and check out the next snow fall. The book explains how to see snow crystal's at their best. Seeing as how I live in WA state it is always iffy around here whether or not we will see snow. I am crossing my fingers! I want to share what I learned wi ...more
Anna Smith
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-summary
Story Summary: This book is great on how to describe a snow flake! It gives you a real look into what they are made of and how they can look! Snowflakes are beautiful and this book allows everyone to see them in different forms! Just like children are different !!
Grade Level: 3-5
Classroom use: Winter science classes
Individual: Students who love winter
Small Group: Discuss the differences between the snowflakes
Whole Classroom: Make snowflakes in the classroom to decorate !!
Related Books: Any sci
Ray
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bedtime-stories
It was interesting to learn the originality from a scientific view of snow flakes. How they formulate in different parts of the cloud depending on the temp and the altitude of each setting. They also give you a great hint of capturing a snow flake yourself so you can see the different varieties . Living in a snowy area we'll have plenty of opportunities to try such a project.
Marcia
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: science, Grades k-6
What is more beautiful than a snow crystal? Stunning photography combined with easy to understand science explains how snow is formed in this terrific book. A perfect companion book to Snowflake Bentley, and a great addition to a study of winter or the water cycle.
Valerie Gomez
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story begins with describing the parts that go into how snow is created. It details the creation of snowflakes through simple words, and gives illustrations to show them. Starting from water, it shows how snowflakes grow and from into a pattern not visible to our eye. The pages following share the different shapes snow crystals can have, a common one being a star. Although it shows the detail, it describes how while snow crystals fall to earth they can change rapidly. This is also displayed ...more
Vanessa
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"The Story of Snow-The Science of Winter's Wonderland," is an non-fiction picture book written by Mark Cassino (a nature photographer) along with Jon Nelson, Ph.D. (a snow scientist) and illustrated by Nora Aoyagi. This is a wonderfully written book that focuses on such questions as: How do snowflakes form? What shapes can they take? And, are no two snowflakes really alike? All these question plus more are answered throughout the 33 wintry illustrated pages. The authors dive into the exploration ...more
Elizabeth Lau
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter’s Wonder is an informational picture book written by Mark Cassino and Jon Nelson and illustrated by Mark Cassino and Nora Aoyagi. This information book informs readers about the formation of snow. It discusses how snow forms in crystals but they are much too small to see without a microscope. Furthermore, it mentions how there are six arms on snowflakes and that sometimes one arm can grow longer than another. Overall, I think this book was very informativ ...more
Chelsea
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter’s Wonderland by Jon Nelson and Mark Cassino describes how snow is formed. Starting with a small “speck,” they then begin to grow into three different types of snow crystals: star, plate, and hollow. The authors then go further into the science behind the shape, size, and uniqueness. The story ends with a tutorial on how to catch your own snow crystal.

This story has many elements of informational text such as marginal comments. These comments help to expl
Meghan Thomas
A good non-fiction children's picture book to learn all about snow. This is a very informative, educational book to learn about the life cycle of snow and how it comes about. I think this is a good book if teaching about snow or if children are curious how snow is made and where it comes from. I find the illustrations to be somewhat bland and dry in the sense that there is not much color, but, snow is white after all. Towards the end of the story, the illustrations because actual photos which ar ...more
Mikhaila Ackerbauer
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
1. Awards the book has received (if any): None

2. Appropriate grade level(s): 4th-5th

3. Original 3-line summary: The book goes over in depth the cycle of a snowflake and what occurs for one to be made. There are very interesting illustrations that completely capture the information. This book is filled with information on the complexity of each snowflake.

4. Original 3-line review: This book has lovely illustrations that accurately depict the creation of a snowflake. It is very interesting seein
McKenna
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
1. Awards: none
2. Grade Level: 3-6
3. This book features all the information you could ever want to know about snow! It includes the cycle of the creation of a snowflake, diagrams, models, and both photographs and illustrations. It has plenty of useful facts about snowflakes that will leave all children and adults more knowledgeable.
4. I thought this was a great text to learn more about snow and the process it takes to create snowflakes. The diagrams and models were useful and the real photograph
Nicole Keenan
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a non-fiction book informing children how snow is formed. This book targets primary aged students (PreK-3) I selected this book due to its amazing diagrams and explanations of how snow is formed. As children's minds are skeptical about everything, this book really helps explain how snow comes about. The pages, pictures and diagrams are very neat and colorful. This book is very easy to understand as it is a simplifed explanation of how snow is formed. I picked the fiction book Snow by Cyn ...more
Daisy
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Grades: 2nd grade- 6th grade
summary: The Story of Snow is a step by step guide book about how snow forms and the components. It describes the stages of liquid, vapor, solids and specks (composed of dirt, ash, and salt) are needed at the center of each snowflake to create snow!

review: students are able to understand science and the creation of snow through the beautifully illustrated and descriptive book. It includes terminology while also taking the time to explain it. It includes components of
Meagan
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Who doesn't love snow? But have you ever thought of where snow comes from? Why is it white and cold? What kind of shapes can snow be? This is the book for you! Learn all you ever wanted to know about your winter season!

This was not one of my favorites, but I love snow so I thought I'd give it a shot. It is VERY informative and would also make for a good resource material for beginning researchers/projects. It describes in detail about how snow is formed, why it looks like it does, what it needs
Alicia
I just experienced a great time reading a storybook and learning all about snowflakes with my kids. Absolutely delighted by books like this that effortlessly combine science and literature! I could not have asked for more from a book on this subject for kids 5 and up. To anyone looking to inspire learning in the middle of winter with an action as simple as reading a storybook, I recommend this book.
Wendy
Got this from the library just in time for the first snowfall of the season. Kept my daughter's attention even though I think she's a little young for it. I even learned some things I hadn't known about how snowflakes form and the different shapes they can take. Includes gorgeous photographs of magnified snowflakes and gives tips on how to catch and examine some for yourself.
Timothy Farring
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, I think it would fit well in a unit about weather because it goes into the science of how snowflakes are made, I liked the use of both photographs and drawn out pictures so that it wasn't just one or the other, which would leave out much needed detail in certain areas of the book.
Karen
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love kids books! The illustrations are beautiful and the written portions are usually very well written and easy to understand. That fits this book perfectly. I loved it. Great for kids and adults.
Meg Treiber
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
informational text
2-4th grades
My favorite aspect of this book is not only the accuracy of the information, but the detail. I have never seen a children's book talk about snow and precipitation particles this way!
Laurie
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it
charlene.librarian
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: j-nonfiction
Worked nicely for our STEM craft program in January.
Megan McCloud
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was really cool and I learned so much!
jocelyn hanan
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
read this as a kid and loved it then and love it now. very fascinating how ice crystals farm and work and how the data is collected. bland illustrations but the information is still intriguing.
Kimberly Coller
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent photographs add to a detailed yet understandable non-fiction book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Redwoods
  • The Secret Life of a Snowflake: An Up-Close Look at the Art and Science of Snowflakes
  • Bones: Skeletons and How They Work
  • Under the Snow
  • GUYKU: A Year of Haiku for Boys
  • An Egg Is Quiet
  • The Day-Glo Brothers: The True Story of Bob and Joe Switzer's Bright Ideas and Brand-New Colors
  • The Snow Day