Start by marking “The Forsaken Inn” as Want to Read:
The Forsaken Inn

The Forsaken Inn

How is this book unique?
Font adjustments & biography included
Unabridged (100% Original content)
Illustrated

About The Forsaken Inn by Anna Katharine Green
An old and dilapidated inn in upstate New York provides the setting for this gothic mystery involving two couples in the 1700s.
Edwin Urquhart, loved by two sisters, chooses to marry the elder. Arriving at
Published (first published 1889)

To ask other readers questions about The Forsaken Inn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forsaken Inn

Start your review of The Forsaken Inn
Dorcas
4 1/2 stars

This was one of those free kindle books; you know, the kind with the boring red and cream cover? In fact, if it wasn't for the generic cover I would have read it much sooner but it looked sooooooo one-of-a-hundred that there was nothing to hook me in. Which is a shame cos I almost missed out on a great thriller.

This book comprises all the creepy elements that make a good vintage mystery:an old house, secret rooms, intrigue, assumed identities and a crime that lies hidden for 16 years
Hannah
A very good mystery set in a wayside inn, spanning a generation from the Revolutionary war era to the early 1800s. In the early 1800s, a grisly discovery in a wayside inn sparks an investigation into what caused it and why it might still be relevant. There are secret rooms, snooping guests, strange occurrences, and plenty of questions to be answered.

Historical fiction was a bit of a rarity for Green to write, and I read for quite awhile before realizing it wasn’t a contemporary [Victorian]
Bettie

Read here

Coursera: Plagues, Witches, and War: The Worlds of Historical Fiction

Opening: I WAS riding between Albany and Poughkeepsie. It was raining furiously, and my horse, already weary with long travel, gave unmistakable signs of discouragement. I was, therefore, greatly relieved when, in the most desolate part of the road, I espied rising before me the dim outlines of a house, and was correspondingly disappointed when, upon riding forward, I perceived that it was but a deserted ruin I was
Sara
The Forsaken Inn is a delightful gothic Victorian mystery, with the flavor of a Wilkie Collins and the haunting atmosphere of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Say what you will, I am a sucker for this kind of story. Bits of it were predictable, but then it has been around for more than 100 years, it was among the first, if not the first, published story of its type, and many of the devices she might have invented have been used to distraction. Still, nothing works quite like an original, and this ...more
Samanta

Mrs. Truax is the owner of the "Happy-Go-Lucky Inn", a very repectable inn in the 18th century North America. One day, a couple comes to stay in her in. She is immediately suspicious and distrustful but unable to confirm what is it that gives her the chills. The next day, after a weird night, the couple leaves, but Mrs. Truax is left with lingering doubts and uneasiness that robs her of sleep and peace of mind. Sixteen years later she finally finds out what it was and the story begins
Dave Peticolas
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gothic horror set in late 18th-century Revolutionary America. The language is baroque and the plot contrivances are unbelievable. I enjoyed the hell out of it.
Dana
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was actually first published long ago in 1890 and is considered to be the first bona fide historical mystery novel.

Typically I skim books this old, unable to really get into them due to language differences or most likely my own mentality. This was not the case with this novel--I was riveted!

If you like mysteries, go find it--tis a free download from Project Gutenberg--and give it a go. I'd love to hear what you think about it if you do read it!
Tristram Shandy
A Crime, a Crime – Most Heinous, Vile, Execrable, Gruesome and Blood-Curdling!

If you like that sort of thing, stories about foul murder and an author’s heavy reliance on catenations both of adjectives and coincidences, then Anna Katharine Green’s 1890 novel The Forsaken Inn might be worth a try for you. An old wayside inn is the scene of a husband’s murder of his wife and of late retribution.

Unlike her detective stories, Green’s The Forsaken Inn is not so much about unmasking the murderer
Marts  (Thinker)
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, mystery
Quite an interesting tale, some of the mysterious elements are nonexistent actually, but generally I'd say its just a series of events, past and present, which when carefully sifted presented an explanation to a rather queer state of affairs.
Bethany
Rating: 3.5 stars
Wow! Talk about a page-turner! I could hardly force myself to put this book down to go to bed last night! I read it mostly for research and writing inspiration, but I did enjoy it, although there were some elements I didn't like too much. A clever mystery, and even if I did guess the solution long before the ending the book was so well written and so gripping that it didn't actually matter that I already knew what was going to happen. I'd like to read more from this author.
Alisha
May 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for this, as I know others enjoyed it, but for me it read rather too melodramatically, and I was expecting some kind of twist near the end, which I didn't get.
Emily
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Clarice
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
A classic mystery from the woman who is considered the "Mother of Detective Fiction" as her first book "The Leavenworth Case" (1878) introduced Inspector Ebenezer Gryce, the first fictional detective, 9 years before Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's first Sherlock Holmes mystery.

This was a very interesting "locked room" murder mystery. The plot takes a few detours as the author provides detailed back story for several of the characters, but the outstanding narration of Gabrielle de Cuir kept it
Sharlene
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A locked-room mystery of sorts although it’s not really that much of a mystery. A couple stays at an inn for a night - the man’s rather suspicious and creepy. Some years later, the woman’s body is discovered in a hidden room. Yet a woman had been seen leaving with her husband. What is one to make of this? Told from the perspective of the inn owner, one Mrs Truax, the story takes ages to unravel but it was after all published in 1890 so one has to keep that in mind. But it was an interesting ...more
Cindy
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting but too long to be a beach book. Clearly narrated by Richard Kilmer.
Jayne
May 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
This did not hold my interest.
Kåre
Jul 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
The author did bestsellers in the beginning of the 20th century but was forgotten until probably scoolars found her while hunting for female forgotten writers. Now, I understand, she is heralded as a an overlooked inventor of the crime novel, comparable to the best.

The plot is based on confused identities and an absurd amount of strange coincidences. Around chapter 3 I guessed the identity-mix-up. It took 12 additional chapters to explain this to the reader. After that, a hunt for the guilty
Sharon
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Anna Katharine Green is sometimes referred to as the "Mother of Detective Fiction." This novel is an excellent illustration of how that came to be.

Told from the perspective of a Mrs. Truax, the owner of an inn during the time of the American and French Revolutions, "The Forsaken Inn" is a locked-room mystery that keeps readers guessing about what has happened. A young couple stays at the inn for the night, and goes on their way in the morning ... and several years later, the bride's body is
Julie Cohen
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this as part of an online course in historical fiction. It started quite interesting and quickly drew me in - the fact that it wasn't compulsory to finish it and yet I did is an indication of that - but in the end I felt it was a bit pedestrian, probably a symptom of the time and the style in which it was written.
Phil Clymer
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A pleasant excursion into an inn with a hidden past, and an owner who won't rest until the secrets are exposed. Nice story, I recommend highly.
Dree
Not bad for a historical mystery that is over 100 years old (takes place in the late 1700s). The writing is certainly a bit out of date, but that's OK. An easy read.
Suzanne
The subtitle accurately describes this book. The gothic nature is conveyed mainly through the atmosphere created around the mystery accentuated by the initial scene of the ruined forsaken inn and the remote hideout of the jilted Mark Felt amongst craggy mountain peaks.

As a mystery the tale is unusual in so far as we are made aware very soon of the crime, the victim and even the perpetrators. Our attention is engaged by the unravelling of the antecedents to the crime and the exposure of the
Pam
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Narrator Gabrielle De Cuir captures the agony, treachery, and spurned love, in this tale set around the time of the American Revolution up to the presidency of George Washington and a note of the French Revolution. Anna Katharine Green writes a story of horror in an Inn run by a woman who had always been suspicious of a young couple who were staying there 15 or 16 years ago. The story unfolds with the appearance of an older gentleman who learns of a possible hidden compartment in the Inn and ...more
Ana Marija
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a mystery story, that will give you that feeling that only a classic story of intrigue and crime can give you, this is a book for you! + some parts are genuinely spooky.

This is one of the more gripping 19th century (or better yet, late 19th century) mysteries I've read so far. The storyline is cleverly thought-out and it flows really nicely, I didn't find that the writing style was too dated or difficult (as someone who is not native English speaker, I sometimes struggle
Breanna
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75

The Forsaken Inn by Anna Katharine Green is a gothic Victorian mystery wherein Mrs. Truax, the owner of the Happy-Go-Lucky Inn, relates a haunting story about two newlywed guests, via written diary format.

The Forsaken Inn had all the elements that I love about gothic fiction; an old, eerie mansion, secret rooms, hidden identities, a gloomy atmosphere, and plenty of melodramatic reactions and responses. Being a fan of gothic fiction, I was really delighted to discover Anna Katharine Green
Elise
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A very fast and entertaining read, so promising at the start with the characters catching on quickly to what would have been saved for the climax in a stupider book. Unfortunately, not much more is revealed in the second half, which is instead dedicated to the murderer annoyingly returning to the inn and dicking around in a prolonged manner. Also, the initial frame story is completely disregarded. Does that traveler want to stay in the ruins of the inn or not? I would.
Carrie
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a typical gothic novel, told through the perspective of a female innkeeper at the end of the 1800s in New York. Relatively suspenseful, good character development and flourishing language all make this an enjoyable read.
Rogers Reeves
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic!

As an avid reader (2-4 books a week), I some how have not read many classics. This one was great! Was glad for the dictionary built into Kindle as the vocabulary of years ago was somewhat different.
Rita	 Marie
Not much mystery about this mystery. We learn what actually happened early on, and the rest is just a matter of waiting for all the characters to discover it too and be equally appalled. The audiobook reader, though, is outstanding. She really brings a not so exciting story to life.
Lori Killion
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: librivox
I don't feel this book was much of a mystery. It didn't have much suspense nor twists to it. I do like that the story was told through a diary, letters, & conversations. If you go into this expecting it to be a decent drama instead I think you won't be disappointed.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Loudwater Mystery
  • The Firm of Girdlestone
  • The Chestermarke Instinct
  • The Ashiel Mystery: A Detective Story
  • The Fat Detective (The Eugene Blake Trilogy Book 1)
  • The Bartlett Mystery (A Mystery Classic)
  • Ο λιμός
  • The Mystery
  • The Mystery of the Boule Cabinet: A Detective Story
  • The Uttermost Farthing (a Savant's Vendetta)
  • The Borough Treasurer
  • Tales of Space and Time
Anna Katharine Green (1846-1935) was an American poet and novelist. She was one of the first writers of detective fiction in America and distinguished herself by writing well plotted, legally accurate stories. Born in Brooklyn, New York, her early ambition was to write romantic verse, and she corresponded with Ralph Waldo Emerson. When her poetry failed to gain recognition, she produced her first ...more
“Men are strange beings, and must not be judged by rules that apply to women.” 1 likes
“Do we fear suffering or apathy most? Is it from experience or the monotony of a commonplace existence that we quickest flee?” 1 likes