Start by marking “The Flower Farmer: An Organic Grower's Guide to Raising and Selling Cut Flowers” as Want to Read:
The Flower Farmer: An Organic Grower's Guide to Raising and Selling Cut Flowers

The Flower Farmer: An Organic Grower's Guide to Raising and Selling Cut Flowers

Provides a complete introduction to raising a cornucopia of cut flowers for home use and for sale to retail customers, florists, and other markets.
Published June 1st 1997 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Flower Farmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flower Farmer

Emily
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Sigh. My dream job right here.
Michelle
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to be a flower farmer. The flower farmer is a great gateway book into flower farming. I appreciated the easy to digest but detailed information and the tips interspersed throughout text. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in starting a flower farm.
Karen Mahtin
Should have started with this book instead of reading all those other ones first!
Tori Ames
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, down-to-earth advice on planting systems and varieties, along with honest perspectives on marketing and sales. Excellent for those just starting out.
Rhode
Awesome!!! I bought this book because I was considering flower farming as a business as my city is rife with farmer's markets and other good local outlets to sell bouquets in. It was helpful in all the ways you'd want a niche business book to be. Written in a friendly manner with loads of illustrations, it included:
- case studies, told story-style, of real life, local, organic flower farmers across the US.
- basics about how to run a flower farm, including soil, space requirements, seasonal workl
Johanna Dieterich
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: farm-and-food, own
This book was recommended during a flower growing workshop at the Young Farmers Conference at Stone Barns Center in 2013. It is a thorough guide to developing one's flower operation. It's a remarkable reference book that is comprehensive and includes photos. I could certainly gather more from rereading it cover to cover. The back of the book lists the best flowers for cutting and tips for propagation and post-harvest handling.
Sara
May 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who loves flowers and is on the scent for a home business
Recommended to Sara by: R, sorta
I just finished reading this this evening and I WANT TO DO THIS! One day. Sometime. It's all my big sister's fault (that's you, R). The author makes it sound so feasible, yet entirely (am I sweating?) real. I could grow flowers. People would buy them here. I feel sure of it. And I already have loads of books on flower arranging. Boy, wouldn't it be fun to have acres of zinnias? For now (if I can ever get up enough courage to sink spade into this soil) a patch of cosmos will be enough. :)
Juliane
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very thorough book about all things flower farming. This is not a gardening book although some of the information about Flowers might be useful. It is definitely a book meant for beginner or experience growers looking to learn more about entering the floral market.
Ethan
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book!! it has everything you need to know about growing flowers, selling them to florist and anything you need to know to get started with your business and
it's really inspiration.
Nick Woodall
A well-organized book, with lots of ideas. Chock full of advice with real stories and how to do it!
Amy
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
The nuts and bolts or stamens and pistols (hehe!) of knowing how to grow and market flowers...
Amanda Rose
Eric Nusbaum
Oct 29, 2014
Dec 19, 2010
Kathy
Not the book I was looking for, putting it on hold for later in the growing season.
Anna Havanka