Start by marking “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Join the Millions Who Have Become Nonsmokers Using the Easyway Method” as Want to Read:

A new edition of the revolutionary bestseller, with four million copies in print. Allen Carr’s innovative Easyway method—which he discovered after his own 100-cigarette-a-day habit nearly drove him to despair—has helped millions kick smoking without feeling anxious and deprived. That’s because he helps smokers discover the psychological reasons behind their dependency, ...more
Published September 23rd 2004 by Sterling (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Easy Way to Stop Smoking, please sign up.
Remo He started smoking in 1953. In 1953 a pack was 25 cents, which is 1.5 USD per pack adjusting for inflation. He quit smoking in 1983. In 1983 a pack of…moreHe started smoking in 1953. In 1953 a pack was 25 cents, which is 1.5 USD per pack adjusting for inflation. He quit smoking in 1983. In 1983 a pack of cigarretes was 0.95 USD. Inflation adjusted, that is 1.8 USD in today's dollars.
So he was spending , adjusting for inflation, between 2800 and 3300 dollars a year all those years. You cannot use today's price, totally inflated by taxes to deter people from smoking, to calculate the prices 65 years ago. (less)

Start your review of The Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Join the Millions Who Have Become Nonsmokers Using the Easyway Method
Jessica
Jun 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jessica by: people who actually stopped smoking when they read it
Training for the New York City marathon last fall didn't magically stop me from smoking, but maybe watching a beloved client die abruptly and excruciatingly of lung cancer last week will do the trick? In case that's not enough, I've got Allen Carr's annoying self-help book to back me up!

I love fucking smoking. I love, love, love, LOVE it. Except, Allen Carr's going to tell me, I actually don't. I can't possibly love smoking because smoking's disgusting! All the loving I think I'm doing is
Carrie
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is really, truly a terrible book that uses very transparent psychological trickery to convince you to stop smoking. But, it totally worked on me so it gets 5 stars.
jack
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is tired of smoking, anyone who wants to quit anything
so, i've quite smoking like, i don't know, four times or something.

there was the first time: the halfass try that lasted for about three days (although i didn't admit to myself that i was smoking again for another six months or something, even though i steadily bummed cigarettes off of my coworkers everyday).

then the big time, back in 2002 when i went from being a pack and a half a day smoker to totally over and done using the patch (which i will recommend to each and everyone of you). and i
Erin
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I cannot give this book enough stars. I started smoking when I was 19 and was a pack a day smoker when I made the decision to quit and began to read this book. It really is the BEST way to quit smoking - I finished reading this book, threw out my cigarettes and never smoked again. I have suffered no withdrawal or pangs of desire ... I tried quitting several times before reading this book, either using the patch, the gum or cold turkey, and every time I tried, I was so miserable that I always ...more
Janis Ian
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Didn't think it would work. I started smoking at 13. Didn't think it would work. A friend told me it was magic. Still didn't think it would work. Bought a used copy (it was out of print, can you believe it?!) in 2005 and managed to keep losing it, never read it. Finally sat down with it two years later. Read it, didn't think it would work. Followed the instructions.
Quit painlessly. No craziness, no weight gain. Never looked back, never missed it. Believe me, I'd tried everything before, and
Rebekah Small
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you change your mind, it will change your life. This book can help you change your mind.
David
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I actually didn't finish the book, but I did smoke the last cigarette of my life while reading it, and extinguished it in utter disgust.

The book is written at a third grader's level of reading comprehension, and at times, the arguments seem positively infantile. The text is repetitive, and the author's personal history is repellant and dull. The money argument doesn't really work on me. And yet, and yet. There is some very clever rhetoric in play here, utterly simplistic in its logic, but
C
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Third edit: Five years. Still smoke free with very few cravings ever. Give this a shot if you have any desire to quit no matter how small.

Second edit: still smoke free more than three years later. As annoying as the book can be at points, it really worked for me.

Edit: I said I would change it to 5 stars if I quit. I'm entering day 9 without a cigarette. I can't say that it was/is as easy as he says, but it is definitely easier than it ever was before. I definitely highly recommend this book to
Roxanne
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, it changed my life.

Understanding why you smoke and know what you have to do to quit just made sense to me. My husband (who I thought was a lifer) have been smoke free for 3 years, best thing I ever did was read this book.

This book opened my eyes to the reality why I smoked and the reasons why I should stop making excuses and just quit.

Thank you Allen Carr for saving mine and my husbands life :)
Chris
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Day 0: 40+ cigarettes/day

Day 1: Well, that wasn't so hard: 0 cigarettes/day

Day 2: Still smoke free, this is going to work!!! A guarded 5 star rating for now.

Day 3: Well I'm a weak willed sucker (not that I needed further proof). It was 2am on Day 3/4, and it ended like all my previous attempts with a delicious Gauloises. Not the books fault though and there is still hope.

After a week, I think it's time for a mini résumé on Allan Carr's quitting method.

As I wrote in the comments, after my lapse
Science (Fiction) Nerd Mario
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mixed
Standard work of smoking cessation, including ruthless billing with established withdrawal concept

Please note that I put the original German text at the end of this review. Just if you might be interested.

The first few dozen pages, brimming with self-promotion and self-adulation, must not appear to the willing-to-give, prospective ex-smoker as an arrogant posture, nor serve as a potential justification for premature termination of the reading. As confident as Carr looks, his concept is so well
Matt
Jun 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This may be the only book that I have read 4 times, but for times the charm.
My sister spoke wonders of this book and how it helped her quit. A few years back I borrowed it from her, read it, and was able to quit for about a month and a half. Then, in stupidity, on a drinking night out I bummed one,and then was quickly about a pack a day. Earlier this year I felt ready to try again. In April I checked it out of the library, read it, and quit for about four days. I night out did me in a agian. I
Elisa
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Obviously not stellar writing, but the book did the trick--I AM A NON-SMOKER! WOO-HOO!!
Oz Barton
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is badly written in the way that only a self-help book can be, and I wanted to dislike it based purely on that principle.

I also wanted to dislike it because of the author's horrifying habit, throughout most of the book, of classifying smokers as poor pathetic creatures to be pitied, only to throw in a very brief chapter at the end begging readers not to become those condescending, self-righteous ex-smokers. (Perhaps he doesn't feel that pity is, by definition, condescending?)

I wanted
Sibel Hodge
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to wait until a decent amount of time had passed before I wrote a review of this book, just to prove that it does work! And it does. Yep, that’s right, I’ve been cigarette free for 6 whole months now and feel great!

I stopped smoking for 5 years once, then I went back to smoking the thin cigars every now and then at a party. Over the months, my addiction went up to the level it was before when I was smoking, and pretty soon I was on about 20 a day! In the past when I stopped smoking I
Mar 27, 2009 rated it liked it
I do not enjoy smoking. I hate smoking and the cigarette itself is what's making me miserable. I'm tired of feeding the monster. If I were a non-smoker I wouldn't feel cravings and would enjoy moments in life more. These are the things I've learned so far. I can understand why this book makes people want to quit smoking. It's not shock therapy which scares you into quitting. It explains all the good things that will happen to you when you quit, and while you think you like smoking or that it ...more
Michael Hogan
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had been a smoker for over fifty years. I smoked two packs a day. I tried to quit many times, paying for hypnosis sessions, using Nicorette gum, using nicotine patches of various dosages, and even being active in exercise and recovery programs. Nothing worked. I would quit for a few days, once even for a month or two but then would start up again smoking more than ever.

Four years ago my wife gave me this book. She said, "Don't start reading it until you are ready to quit. It really works!"
Daniel
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very practical advice about how to quit smoking.

Focuses on removing the reasons you smoke (which is the same for all smokers- to alleviate that slightly panicky feeling you experience created by the nicotine from your previous cigarette leaving your body.)

Carr does not use scare tactics. The REASONS that people smoke are not the same as the reasons they ought not to smoke.

In fact, I say reasons, but ultimately, all smokers smoke for the same one reason: to relieve the symptoms of nicotine
Fuchsia Sunbeam
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It worked! I stopped smoking in December last year because of this book and I have not smoked since. And the best thing about it is that I have not once since then had the desire to smoke.

That's what I always wanted and what I never got in my previous attempts to quit. I felt as though I'd tried everything, so the only solution was to give up on giving up! I didn't want to quit smoking if it meant spending the rest of my life "wanting a cigarette". That would be a torture I wouldn't wish on
Ed
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was a smoker for 10 years and tried to quit smoking over a dozen times with no success. Every method I thought would work was an abject failure and I could never figure out why. After reading this book, I immediately quit smoking and have not looked back. It was the easiest thing I have ever done in my life, once I learned how. I am coming up on the 2 year anniversary since I quit smoking and decided to re-read the book to give myself a refresher. It's amazing how much different my perspective ...more
Mo
Here's the book in a nutshell (view spoiler)

Yes, I quit smoking 3 days ago and no, it is not easy. Since I am using willpower, Mr. Carr feels that I am doomed to fail.

I consider this book to be mostly scare
Sharren
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Allen Carr doesn't try to scare you into quitting, which only perpetuates the fear and makes the smoker want to smoke more, rather he gets to the psychological root of WHY we smoke, stripping this addiction to its very core.

After reading this book, this is what I know - I will never again force myself to smoke another cigarette, come what may. And for the first time in 16 years, I feel truly free.
Portal in the Pages
I will revisit this rating in 12 months.

You don't get five stars, no matter how convincing you are, when the first three chapters are an ode to your own awesome nature before you even said anything...
Cody
Dec 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Read this in preparation for giving it to my dad in an attempt at getting him to quit smoking after it was discovered he has heart problems.

The author goes overboard to insist that he isn't going to list the health issues or guilt the reader or any of the common things people do to smokers in order to get them to quit and instead focus on the psychology of it. He claims that when you understand the psychology you can just quit on the spot without any downsides.

That's all well and good, but I
Catherine
Jun 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The book isn't perfect. Carr annoyed me at the beginning of the book by tooting his own horn; he obviously felt the need to prove he has credentials--and that makes sense, but there's too much.

But what makes the book amazing is that it systematically breaks down the myths about smoking (even the ones that I didn't think I subscribed to) and subtly sort of brainwashes you into hating smoking. You smoke as you read, which keeps the pressure off. And Carr's thinking is rational--and friendly. He
Dale Bewan
Sep 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Utter rubbish.
Allen Carr uses neurolinguistic programming (quite poorly - mostly just repetition and weasel words) in order to convince the smoker that they no longer want to smoke.
It may work on the weak minded, but for anyone who is actually used to thinking and critically evaluating things, it's just crap.
I eventually did end up quitting - but there are no thanks at all to Allen Carr (and his many fans) for wasting my time on his rubbish.
Andreas Strom
Aug 01, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It might have been the translation to Norwegian, but this book was utter crap. More repetitive than 90's techno, and there are just about NO proper instructions until the very end. I learned nothing new from the constant repetition of old and obvious information.
Yes, I'm quitting smoking, but this book did absolutely nothing to help me I think. I will just quit, and that's that. At least I'm happy I was given this book, and didn't put any money in Carr's pocket.
Werdslutt
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been four years since my last cigarette. This book reprograms the way your brain thinks about smoking and I've tried to give up at least 6 times..
Jess
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am now ONE year without cigarettes and I owe it all to this book. My mom bought it for me like so many other anti-smoking articles and books before but I held onto this one for awhile. I smoked for over ten years. The idea of quitting was slowly creeping in but I wouldn't be budged or pressured, it had to be on my time.

photo smoking.png

Allen Carr nailed everything on the head for me. For me, as a smoker you don't want to hear about how or why you should quit from a non-smoker, but I didn't mind hearing

Zach
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
After ten years of attempts, Carr's advice in this book helped me put all of the pieces together that I needed to put together to stop smoking for good. It's been more than 8 months now, and I've never felt better.

Nota bene: Carr's assertion that nicotine replacement and other medical aids are counterproductive is only partially correct - while products like nicotine gum and lozenges will reinforce your addiction, slow-release devices like the patch and medications like Wellbutrin and Chantix
Just read it to the end! 5 57 Jul 05, 2014 06:00PM
What's the Name o...: quit smoking [s] 4 50 Jan 07, 2012 06:13AM

• The Call of the Wild
  • Время игр! Отечественная игровая индустрия в лицах и мечтах: от Parkan до World of Tanks
  • Flatland
  • The Ultimate Jim Rohn Library
  • Joe Celko's SQL for Smarties: Advanced SQL Programming
  • Piyasaları Okumak
  • This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol: Find Freedom, Discover Happiness & Change Your Life
  • Unspeakable Things
  • Selbstmotivation: TaschenGuide (Haufe TaschenGuide)
  • Contemporary Weaving Patterns
  • Long Gone: A Detective Paul Cullen Mystery (Paul Cullen Mysteries)
  • Civil War Sketch Book: Drawings from the Battlefront
  • Sirkadiyen Beslenme
  • Gli impostori: Inchiesta sul potere
  • Programming in Python 3: A Complete Introduction to the Python Language
  • The 17 Day Diet Breakthrough Edition
  • Mindfulness: Per Principianti - Alleviare lo Stress, e Tornare a uno Stato di Pace Interiore e Felicità
Allen Carr was an author of books about quitting smoking and other psychological dependencies including alcohol addiction. He quit smoking after 33 years as a hundred-a-day chain smoker.
“Wouldn’t that be an incredibly stupid thing to do? To say ‘I never want to smoke again’, then spend the rest of your life saying ‘I’d love a cigarette.’ That’s what smokers who use the Willpower Method do. No wonder they feel so miserable. They spend the rest of their lives desperately moping for something that they desperately hope they will never have.” 16 likes
“The whole business of smoking is like forcing yourself to wear tight shoes just to get the pleasure of taking them off.” 12 likes