Start by marking “Bloodraven (Bloodraven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bloodraven (Bloodraven, #1)

Bloodraven

(Bloodraven #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  3,576 ratings  ·  413 reviews
A son of a forest dwelling people, Yhalen knows little of the world outside the ancestral forest, until he is captured by a band of ogres on a slave-taking mission. Only grim tales of the barbaric giants had reached the forest, but Yhalen soon learns that even the darkest fireside story only hinted at the brutality of these Northern warriors. He discovers the meaning of tr ...more
Published August 21st 2007 by Lulu.com

To ask other readers questions about Bloodraven, please sign up.
Jenny Brown iBooks it's a free app.about $9.00. For iPad.and for a paperback Lulu press . Bloodraven journey home also at Lulu press for about $13.00.

really liked it 4.00  ·

Julio Genao
Sep 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: The bold, the fearless, and the utterly depraved. Everyone I know, in other words
Waaay longer than 280 pages.

Waaaaaaaaay more gruesome than I'd thought.

And waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more sexy than I'd like to admit...

And then I got to chapter 2.
Shin Mon Thway
MAJOR UPDATE & NEWS for Bloodraven fans: There will be more books after bloodraven: journey home .. Yes, there will be several more books! 💙💚💜

Got contact with the author while purchasing books directly from her website. And yesssss!!! That’s the best new ever for this year!!! 👏👏👏
And yes, I’m shameless and stalker-ish when I talk to authors and try to find out about sequels of my favorite books.
😂😂😂

I have so many things to talk about this book so it’s going to be a long as hell review. First
Kat
January 2014: 6 books on my currently-reading shelf and I'm rereading dirty Bloodraven sex scenes. Sigh. So I realized that I actually don't give a damn about this book's flaws and wasted potential. The Yhalen/Bloodraven 'highlights' -- hum hum -- make up for everything. For dreary January days. For reads gone wrong. For bad hair days. I'm adding a 5th star, fuck yeah!
-----------------------------------

November 2012: So what part of "not for the faint of heart" didn't I understand?

At least I now
Shelley
4 Stars for The Blog Of Sid Love

What an epic adventure this turned out to be!

Was it graphic? … Yes!

Horrifying? … Absolutely!

Engaging? … Totally!

Did I love it? … Yes I did.

Will I read it again? … Hell No!

Did I like the green willies? … Wha?... No! I’ll never be able to watch Shrek ever again!

P.L Nunn ticked all my boxes with this brutal heroic fantasy of Ogre’s, humans, and dark Magick’s. Only 7% into this book I had to stop and marvel about how those poor boxes have mutated and evolved from sh
Sheziss
I simply loved this. Bloodraven and his human. Interracial love at its best.

I'm team Bloodraven now!

It reminded me of Counterpoint and Crescendo, it being a Middle-Earth style (how come they remain several millenniums without discovering the electricity and developing the Human Rights?). One of MC being a leader of some sorts (military or blue-blooded) and the other one a nature creature from a different species who is taken prisoner and becomes his slave. The difference is, Bloodraven has a wor
Heather C
Oh.My.Goddess!! This book was amazing!! It had incredible world building and complex characters. No details were ever left out. Every scene was detailed and explicit from the torture scenes to the fight scenes to the sex scenes. There were a lot of all three. This is not some light and fluffy read. It was dark and brutal and epic. Something I had to be in the right mood to read.

Okay, I’m sure you’ve already seen many other reviews discussing the brutal rape and torture of Yhalen, the young Ydr
Chelsea
That was.... FANTASTIC!!! That story was-in the words of other reviewers-epic!! So much adventure and magic and fear and lust. It was so engaging and addicting it has consumed my thoughts well after I've finished reading it.

I really enjoyed reading Bloodravens and Yhalen's relationship. Yes it's very non-con for the majority of the book (although it doesn't take long for Yhalen to begrudgingly start enjoying the sex) but Bloodraven is never overtly cruel or brutual with him. I enjoyed Bloodraven
Ingie
Written October 14, 2013

4 1/2 Stars - A deep dive into the scary fantasy world - and it was a very enjoying challenge

This was a great and spellbinding fantasy tale. There was a lot of very cruel, tough and terribly nasty parts but also enjoyable and captivating. I just couldn't stop to read and in the end I was rewarded.

OMG... it started as a indescribable nasty horror movie! I was shocked and completely taken by surprise by some very violent assaults (view spoiler)
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
4.5 Stars

After careful consideration I've decided there really is nothing I can say about Bloodraven that hasn't already been said.

It is epic in size and scope.

It is epic in its sagadom.
Yes. I'm making up words now. Stop judging me.

It tortured me beautifully.

I felt all the feels. I mean, I ask you who can resist:

There was no edge of pain to the pleasure to drive him over the verge, no feeling of his guts stretched thin even when the body over his pressed in to the fullest. Nothing to make him l
Bark
Nov 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I should not have started this book when I did. I had books to read for review (with deadlines looming over my head), several reviews to write and another book halfway finished. But after being drawn to it by a review here from a Goodreads friend, I bought it and started it immediately. Everything else came to a screeching halt until I finished.

This book gripped me in a way that very few books can manage. It starts off with unimaginable sexual brutality but if you’re able to recover from the fir
Susan
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
While I loved the first half, the middle dragged a bit and the end was a bit unsatisfactory. And it wasn’t even all the violence and rape that made me exhausted. It was the witch Elvardo and the separation near the end that made me like this just a little less.

Yhalen is of the Ydregi, a folk who live in the forest and who cherish nature’s gifts. This story starts with him being suddenly taken by ogres one night. His friends were murdered on the spot, but he was somehow spared.

He is then tortured
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think I’ve had such an engrossing fantasy read in an age. I’ve seen the book sereral times when I’ve been fossicking through PL Nunn's website for goodies, but just not picked it up. Obviously an oversight on my part!

The world building is what initially sucked me in. It was vivid and without an abundance of silly names for coffee and other such folderol, that often spoil good fantasy or sci fi. The story itself is very much a journey tale and the landscapes were rather epic. The history
Vivian
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, erotica-fantasy
In depth and compelling worldbuilding here. I hit a speed bump reading this, I guess I lost confidence in the author being able to bring the story around to a reasonable conclusion, but eventually I carried on and yes, it ended well. I really enjoyed the questioning of "good" and "bad" as well as the exploration of power hierarchies. There is brutality and this is not for the faint of heart, but there is a pleasing resolution.
Lilia Ford
There’s a moment about a third of the way through Bloodraven, when Yhalen, the young forester who was taken prisoner by ogres and then brutalized by them, uses his powers to heal his erstwhile captor, who had also raped him, though not with the same cruelty.

“Why?" [Bloodraven] asked instead. "Why do such things when my death would have benefited you far more?"

♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
DNF~45%

I though I could do it. I was challenging myself, but I failed .

I though this could be another Captive Prince, but the inter-species "romance" is just too painful for me to read. The rapes are violent and I can't see how these 2 characters can be together after everything. The book is too long and not interesting anymore (halfway through).
MsMiz (Tina)
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: b-and-n, glbt-all
More like 4.5 stars. This book was brutal, pulling no punches in war, slavery, sex(*spoiler alert* some violent rape scenes between ogres and humans)and eventually an atypical love. This story has amazing world building between humans, dark magic, earth magic, ogres, half-orgres and other assorted beings. It kept me guessing at every turn. I had no idea where Nunn was going and who or what was going to be the victor if any. I could have kept reading and reading about this world and was sad when ...more
Chippy Marco
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this a while ago and hadn't realised that I didn't put a review of it up on here. I got f&cked off once on here and deleted my account in a fit of rage *rolling eyes* I am argumentative and a drama Queen. But I regretted it straight after, so here I go a second time.

This is seriously f%cked up, but I loooooved it. Once I got past the rather brutual scene near the beginning with the non-con, I really got into this book. People may fall flat at the non-con scene, I almost did, but the r
Jason Bradley
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing

The only reason this book doesn't get 5+ stars is because it really needs proof reading. Otherwise, this is ALL THAT AND A SUPER SIZE BAG OF CHIPS! :)

* A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

Warning - this is a very graphic and brutally violent book especially in the beginning and in the end. It entails non-con, dub-con, and extreme torture. However if you like fantasy with different races, magic, and adventure, then this is the book for you.

Yhalen is a sympathetic character who is forced into many horrific things. He's still strong and spirited, trying to remain true to himself despite his growing feelings for Bloodraven and his burgeoning magical powers that can easily t
cat reads
Sep 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
No no no. So much fucking no.

Blood is not a lubricant.

Stockholm Syndrome is not romance.

Rape is not sexy.

I'm putting this under the tag 'lgbt' rather than 'lgbt-romance' as is my standard tag because I refuse to call this book a romance or consider it as having romantic themes.

This is a book out of the yaoi tradition and the darker versions of that to boot. The yaoi stuff I gravitated to when I read such, the yaoi I actually enjoyed, was the non-rape variety. I've since gone on to other thi
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.3 Stars

Way better than I expected it to be given the heavy front-loaded dose of extreme non-con. (DO HEED ALL WARNINGS IF YOU CHOOSE TO READ!)

The world-building/fantasy aspects were really well done and by the end I was totally invested in at least a HFN outcome. The settings were extremely detailed, but not to the point of annoyance as some authors elicit. The societies these beings hailed from were also well fleshed-out...and I loved how both Bloodraven and Yhalen had to face & accept th
Xia Xia Lake
description

For such a long book as Bloodraven was I don’t have much to say, because everything that needs to be said has already been written in other reviews.

As of this moment Bloodraven is my second favorite MM fantasy, after Captive Prince and before Cethe. Funny enough all these three have the master - slave trope and all the violence that comes with it, so I guess I have a type. Sorry, not sorry :D.
Don’t go into this book blindly without knowing what to expect because you’re going to get a kick in th
Heidi Cullinan
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
What I enjoyed most about this book was how I never quite knew what was going to happen next and how clearly anything could happen. Early on it was made clear that there were few lines the author wouldn't cross and very, very bad things could happen to the main characters. There's a freshness to this book I enjoyed very much. And the hot sex wasn't a problem at all, either.

My only reservation is that while the first half of the book really gripped me, the pacing fell off in the latter half for
Elizabetta
Bloodraven (BR) reminds me of Freece’s Captive Prince (calm down you CP lovers!) to the extent that in addition to the great world building and character development, there is sweeping adventure and political intrigue. The dynamic between Yhalen, and Bloodraven, half human/half ogre, is a complex slave/master, slow build/slow burn interaction. Like Freece’s Laurent, BR is an enigma -- it’s a long while before we get to know what’s going on with him, just what he is about. We learn that he is hig ...more
Chappy
I'm blown away...why did I wait so long to read this?

If you are a fan of Yaoi, this is a MUST read.

Epic fantasy with great world building and some really gruesome scenes. Not for the faint of heart, major non-con here but it's done really well.

I'm in love with Bloodraven the half-orgre, half human and sweet Yhalen.
❂ Endless
Sep 10, 2011 marked it as erotic-m-m
Shelves: un-rate-able
This is on my brand new shelf of "un-rate-able". While i could rate "That's what Brothers Do" I can't rate this... I hated and kinda liked this book simultaneously - which means, I can't find a way to rate it! I want to rate it a 2 star and a 4 star all at the same time...

4 for the the way the author wove this story and built a paranormal world and embellished it with such detail that it was like i was watching a movie in my head and i truly appreciate such books.

but...

2 for the audacity with wh
Breann
This book had me cringing & crying through a majority of it. And Bloodraven had me swooning more than I like to think about. Unbelievably amazing.
Mel
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, m-m
Yhalen is of the Ydregi, a Fey-like people who dwell in the forest and live in the ways of the Goddess, in harmony with nature and subtle magic. His privileged and sheltered life turns into a nightmare when he's captured by a group of ogres who only have malice in mind. When he miraculously survives this horrible ordeal, Yhalen finds that the nightmare is far from over: he is to be the slave of Bloodraven: a half ogre, half human war leader.

I was warned before reading this book. Goodread friend
Katerina
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm
I liked it.
It does, however, stretch quite a bit.
Interesting world building.
Really nice main characters.
All BR graphic novels are a good complement to the Nunn universe. The main works are available via Lulu.
Christina
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it

Yhalen is a Ydregi, a magic forest dweller who follows their Goddess of nature. He's captured by a group of ogres and enslaved by the leader of the group, Bloodraven who is half ogre/half human. I loved this world and I was drawn into the characters instantly.

This book cuts no punches. It contains brutal rape and torture scenes. And I don't mean a quick one page description. This was detailed pain and agony that went on and on. However, these scenes were necessary for the story.

What irritated
Ending 13 122 Oct 26, 2014 06:20PM

• Remastering Jerna (Remastering Jerna, #1)
  • That's What Brothers Do
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
  • Cethe
  • Out of the Woods (Tarin's World, #1)
  • Anchored (Belonging, #1)
  • Wings (Wings #1)
  • Fog: A Novel of Desire and Retribution
  • Counterpunch (Belonging, #2)
  • Concubine
  • Shattered Heart
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • Snowflakes and Embers
  • Tribute
aka Pam Nunnally
Main website here, Smashword website here, Lulu website here.

BIO
Obsessive/ compulsive: Very
Artistic: Painfully
Scattered: Very often
Disorganised: Dreadfully
Daydreamer: 90% of the time
Perversion Level: Uncomfortably high
Fuzzy animals: An overabundance of felines
Projects: Too many to name - - even I forget

Bloodraven (3 books)
  • Wizard (Bloodraven, #2)
  • Bloodraven: The Journey Home (Bloodraven, #3)
“Why?" he asked instead. "Why do such things when my death would have benefited you far more?"
Yhalen bent over his knees, resting forehead on his forearm, perhaps not willing to answer, or not able to, strange creature that he was.
"Is that the way your people think?" he asked finally, as he turned his head to peer up at Bloodraven through the thick fall of the hair around his face. "That death is more beneficial than life?”
7 likes
“He wonder dismally when his heart had been so thoroughly lost to an enemy.” 1 likes