Start by marking “The Portable Coach: 28 Sure Fire Strategies for Business and Personal Success” as Want to Read:
The Portable Coach: 28 Sure Fire Strategies for Business and Personal Success

The Portable Coach: 28 Sure Fire Strategies for Business and Personal Success

As the personal coaching movement booms, the father of the hottest self-improvement trends in the past decade--whose work has been featured in publications from Newsweek to New Age Journal--presents his internationally renowned program for life success.
Published August 6th 1998 by Scribner Book Company (first published August 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Portable Coach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portable Coach

Start your review of The Portable Coach: 28 Sure Fire Strategies for Business and Personal Success
Cheryl Cooper
May 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those getting started as Professional Life Coaches
My conversations with Thomas (by email) in the mid 1990s transformed how I thought about coaching forever. I started coaching seriously in a business context because of him. He was at the source of the spread of coaching as a creditable profession.

This book summarises some of his best points but cannot compare to the abundant source of material that used to be available on his website. He was an ideas dynamo and the source of great insights.

Sadly Thomas died far too early so this book is the on
Paul Bard
May 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Chuck Cova
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this read (with significant caveats). The principles are solid, and many takeaways (as evidenced by the 30 pages of notes I took, and the plan to regularly review those notes). However, some of it is a bit humorous because it was written at the dawn of the internet, and had to simply agree to disagree in a number of areas because of my worldview (Christian) vs his (secular) view. With those things in mind, I give this a thumbs up.
Erin
Dec 28, 2020 added it
good book for personal growth guidance.
Honoree
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: success-reads
I read this book when it was first released years ago, and my revisit was just as powerful. Highly recommend.
Lindsey Mao
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
super concise, needed to listen the whole way through with pen and paper to make sure I didn't miss anything. The OG of coaching. worth it. ...more
Ruth Rathband
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This self-coaching book spoke directly to me. I was definitely on Leonard's wavelength. His straight-talking, no-nonsense approach was refreshing and informative. No waffle here!
Charmin
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: growth
HIGHLIGHTS:

1. LIST of Areas to improve:
- Articulate- the words I need flow naturally out of my mouth
- Hip- I get it! And it shows “having eyes open”
- Savvy- street smarts and understand what motivates people
- Creative-- great ideas, opportunities, and things just come to me; I don’t have to work at creating them.
- Secure- I am safe. I fear almost nothing.
- Mastery- top of my game at work
- Polished- I come across as polished
- Well-dressed -- I always look exceptionally good, even when casual
- Co
Shelley
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
ok, i quite liked this because it's a coaching book that is one long to-do list. you're supposed to measure your progress before you begin and then in regular intervals until you can get 100% on the list. for example, here's Home & Comfort (page 60):
1. My house has extra room/space that I do not need to use very often.
2. I have twice as much empty available storage as I am currently using.
3. I always have plenty of clean, pressed clothes, I never "run out."
4. I have the coziest sheets, comforter
Lorilee
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in creating the most workable life possible
Recommended to Lorilee by: Cheryl Richardson
I found Thomas' seminal work to be filled with common sense as well as deep insight. What a gift to have all his ideas compiled into one book! As a newbie to the field of coaching, I am thrilled to have found it. He divides our lives into the areas in which we may want to look to assess how all is going, to help us decide where to put our efforts first, to make our lives more workable and to serve as inspiration to ourselves and others. I felt instantly like this book spoke to me as a true frien ...more
Marianne Mullen
I really wanted to like this book. I like so much of it but I also got frustrated with the organization and writing style. There was so much great content but I just had a hard time devouring it like I had hoped.
John Gravitt
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Thomas was taken from us much too early. He practically created the career of coaching. I like his audios much better but this book is good too.

M
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Some interesting ideas ... some a bit strange. You'll understand some schools of life coaching better if you read this first. ...more
Greg Morrison
Aug 26, 2017
Bob
Nov 07, 2017
Joseph M Lofshult
rated it did not like it
Jun 07, 2020
Barry Demp
Apr 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Casket of Time
  • High School
  • Doing Harm: The Truth About How Bad Medicine and Lazy Science Leave Women Dismissed, Misdiagnosed, and Sick
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • The Power of Moments: Why Certain Experiences Have Extraordinary Impact
  • QBQ! The Question Behind the Question: Practicing Personal Accountability in Work and in Life
  • The 8-Minute Mastermind: How to Travel Anywhere for Free, Solve any Problem, and Add $100k+ to Your Business in 5-10 Hours a Month
  • Becoming a Life Coach
  • If You Want to Write
  • The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey
  • Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God's Plan for the World
  • You Ought to Know Adam Wade
  • Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself
  • A Gentle Thunder: Hearing God Through the Storm
  • 어느 날 공주가 되어버렸다 1 [Eoneu Nal Gongjuga Doeeobeoryeotda 1] (Who Made Me a Princess, Season 1)
  • La Belle Sauvage (The Book of Dust, #1)
  • The Strawberry Thief (Chocolat, #4)
  • The Slight Edge