Start by marking “Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol 1” as Want to Read:
Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol 1

Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol 1 (Ante-Nicene Fathers #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  132 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
This edition of the Early Church Fathers series has been optimized for use on the Kindle with a hierarchical Table of Contents that minimizes the number of page turns required to locate a section of the volume. This edition is among the most accurate electronic editions available, but Hebrew characters do not display on the Kindle.

This volume includes the writings of Cleme
Published (first published 1885)

To ask other readers questions about Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol 1

David
Mar 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church-history
I loved reading these ancient church fathers. Highly recommended for any student of historical christian theology.

The best here is Irenaeus' Against Heresies (especially books 3-5). But Justin Martyr's First and Second Apology and the letters of Ignatius and Polycarp are all great also.
Galicius
Careful reading of the Fathers provides moments of insight perhaps greater even than the Epistles of the Apostles however I gave up in about the middle of reading and sampling half of it throughout Volume I. Its was just too abstruse for me. .
Coyle
May 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to read every word of this volume, since I've got bits an pieces of it in other sets. I will, however, use this as a place to complie my reviews of the different bits and pieces...

The Apostolic Fathers in this edition: The Apostolic Fathers in English
No review yet.

Justin Martyr read in this volume, except: Dialogue with Trypho
A Rather Boring Note on the Edition: The version of the Works of Justin Martyr I read is that found in the 19th century collection: Ante-Nicene Fathers 1: Apo
Tom
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, theology
What a treasure to have these writings of the church fathers, some of who were discipled by apostles. In this first volume you can see the progress of thought from heavy quotes and citations of scripture to the development of doctrine and theology. The latter is most evident in Iranaeus as he defends the faith against Gnostic heresies.
Christopher Hall
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Many thanks to the editors for putting together many of the Church Fathers together in this series. I found the Fathers themselves to be interesting although at times I did not follow St. Irenaeus' structure in Against Heresies.
Alan
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Early look at Christian thought.
Jacob Aitken
A collection of the earliest post-Apostolic writings. While not theologically on the level of a later Augustine or Gregory, these writings are immensely valuable in giving a snapshot of the earliest worship and doctrine in the Church.

St Ignatius is the most important in the first part of the book. Having received the doctrine from the apostles, he clarifies the role of Bishop and Eucharist in the Church. This will set the stage for many of St Irenaeus's clinching arguments against the gnostics
Erik Graff
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: religion
This is the first volume of a set comprising such writings of the patristics prior to the convocation of the Nicene Council as were extant in the late nineteenth century. As such, the translations and notes are at once pious and quaint. Thanks to Eerdmans, the publishers, these books, hefty but well-bound, have been kept available at a reasonable price--reasonable enough for me to purchase them all on a work-study income while attending seminary in New York.

Obtaining the Ante-Nicene Fathers fort
Benjamin
For the content alone, this "book" would receive four stars. It's a fascinating look at early Christian thought on a number of topics, even if some works/sections do tend to drag on in areas that are of little relevance (e.g., the intricacies of various gnostic systems of thought). And even in those sections, there is much to be learned in the authors approaches to the the challenges and how they answered rooted in the Word of God. The reason this is getting 3 stars is only because of my own att ...more
Megan
At times, I found the Ante-Nicene Fathers (particularly Justin Martyr and Ignatius) repetitive and circular in their thoughts. I skimmed. I skipped a few passages. I don't regret this.

But I still give the book five stars.

Reading the Fathers has done more than anything else to educate me about my faith (and I graduated from a conservative religious college). I have learned what was then (and often still is) considered crucial doctrines, and I am also better able to identify some of the church's m
Jeff
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Multi-part review:

1st Clement - http://thatjeffcarterwashere.blogspot...
Epistle to Diognetus -
Polycarp -
Ignatius to the Ephesians and the Magnesians
Ignatius to the Trallians and the Romans
Ignatius to the Philadelphians, the Smyrnaeans, and Polycarp
Martyrdom of Ignatius
Jeni Enjaian
This is a collection of documents written by the church fathers, seven (or eight) volumes in total. I'm reading these books as part of a challenge (7 years long!) to read through all of the writings of the church fathers.

Since these documents are compilations, some of which are fragments, the book does not have a coherant focus. This makes nearly impossible to review. Since I'm not an expert on church history (or in this case ancient church history) I will not attempt to review the content itsel
Jonathan
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic resource when it came out, and really brings together the available Christian writings of the 2nd (and potentially late 1st) century. However, both the translation and the attendant author/date notes are now quite dated. Much better translations of all the writings in this text can now be found in other publications, and our knowledge of the original authors has grown so much in the last century as to make these notes obsolete.

Still, I highly recommend hunting down all of th
Jim
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I read the whole thing! But I'm glad I did. If you belong to a church that says its teachings are what the apostles taught, then this is a pretty good way to confirm or deny that assertion. I'm hoping to get through enough of the remaining thirty-seven volumes to take me through the seventh council. I have the hard cover Hendrickson set which I bought on sale from CBD. But I also have a Kindle version which I find much easier to read. If you're interested in what the early Church ...more
John
This is the easily-accessible (because public domain) but very dated translation from the Ante-Nicene Fathers series. The texts themselves need little in the way of recommendation--we are dealing here with the earliest Christian writings aside from the New Testament documents themselves (the earliest are actually coterminous with the closing years of New Testament composition). Anyone who cares about the early development of Christian doctrine (Clement), polity (Ignatius), or worship (Justin) ne ...more
David Withun
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Of course, it is what it is -- the writings of the Apostolic Fathers + Ss. Justin Martyr & Irenaeus of Lyons -- which, of course, I give five big shining stars. I give four here though because I could have done without the constant Protestant self-justification in the footnotes and sometimes even in the translation itself. Oh well. It was a great read.
Clayton Tinervin
This is one of the most important books I've ever read. The only criticism I could offer is that the translation is old, but that is also the reason that it is as inexpensive as it is. I highly recommend purchasing this book for anyone who is interested in early Christian history, or a Christian who is looking for a spiritually beneficial read.
Patrick\
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential reading - Clement, Ignatius, Polycarp and others. Puts flesh on the New Testament as the Gospels preached in late First century into the second. Should be added to select New Testaments as good for moral instruction (even with Clement's Phoenix bird). My opinion, of course.
Michal Stawicki
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: saints
Thinking of early Christians was really not from this world.
Tyrporter
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you can find a more modern translation, go for it, but by all means read these texts if you are at all interested in the development of Christianity.
Jean Maurice M. Prosper
I have read up to Clement XXIV , I am blown away with the rich things contained, how I long we do not have such teachers around ! These writings must be made available to every serious believer...
Christian Proano
By reading St. Irenaeus you will see Orthodoxy encapsulated (for the most part).
It ss a lot of good dense reading, a notebook for annotation and a Bible for marking are recommended.
CJ Bowen
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times brilliant, at times profoundly edifying, at times spiritually harmful, at times simply silly. The good far outweighs the bad.
Douglas Wilson
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, theology
Not this set, but the standard one. A lot of the same guys.
Todd A. Scull
Mar 09, 2015
Keith Little
Dec 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Ante-Nicene Fathers (10 books)
  • Fathers of the Second Century: Hermas, Tatian, Theophilus, Athenagoras, Clement of Alexandria (Ante-Nicene Fathers, #2)
  • Latin Christianity: Tertullian (Ante-Nicene Fathers 3)
  • Ante-Nicene Fathers 4: Fathers of the Third Century: Tertullian, Minucius Felix, Commodian, Origen
  • Fathers of the Third Century: Hippolytus; Cyprian; Caius; Novatian; Appendix (Ante-Nicene Fathers, #5)
  • Ante-Nicene Fathers. Vol 6
  • The Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol 7
  • Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol 8
  • Ante-Nicene Fathers 9: Recently Discovered Additions to Early Christian Literature: Commentaries, The Narrative of Zosimus, The Apology
  • Bibliographic Synopsis, General Index (Ante-Nicene Fathers, #10)
“For the Christians are distinguished from other men neither by country, nor language, nor the customs which they observe. For they neither inhabit cities of their own, nor employ a peculiar form of speech, nor lead a life which is marked out by any singularity. The course of conduct which they follow has not been devised by any speculation or deliberation of inquisitive men; nor do they, like some, proclaim themselves the advocates of any merely human doctrines. But, inhabiting Greek as well as barbarian cities, according as the lot of each of them has determined, and following the customs of the natives in respect to clothing, food, and the rest of their ordinary conduct, they display to us their wonderful and confessedly striking [281] method of life. They dwell in their own countries, but simply as sojourners. As citizens, they share in all things with others, and yet endure all things as if foreigners. Every foreign land is to them as their native country, and every land of their birth as a land of strangers. They marry, as do all [others]; they beget children; but they do not destroy their offspring. [282] They have a common table, but not a common bed. [283] They are in the flesh, but they do not live after the flesh. [284] They pass their days on earth, but they are citizens of heaven. [285] They obey the prescribed laws, and at the same time surpass the laws by their lives. They love all men, and are persecuted by all. They are unknown and condemned; they are put to death, and restored to life. [286] They are poor, yet make many rich; [287] they are in lack of all things, and yet abound in all; they are dishonoured, and yet in their very dishonour are glorified. They are evil spoken of, and yet are justified; they are reviled, and bless; [288] they are insulted, and repay the insult with honour; they do good, yet are punished as evil-doers. When punished, they rejoice as if quickened into life; they are assailed by the Jews as foreigners, and are persecuted by the Greeks; yet those who hate them are unable to assign any reason for their hatred.” 1 likes
“The new law requires you to keep perpetual sabbath, and you, because you are idle for one day, suppose you are pious, not” 0 likes