Start by marking “Waiting for Winter” as Want to Read:
Waiting for Winter

Waiting for Winter

Squirrel has never seen it snow, and this year he is determined not to miss it. He wants his friends, Hedgehog and Bear, to see it snow too, but it's hard to stay awake. Finally, winter arrives and snow is falling ... or is it?
Published June 1st 2009 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Waiting for Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waiting for Winter

Cheryl
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-enjoy-again
The font is large, the pictures' details small. But I laughed out loud several times ("Sea Shanties!") and right now my husband is reading it and laughing out loud and reading bits aloud. He appreciates that the "scruffy" drawings are a lot more real, re' the animals, than a lot of picture books that make the animals look too cute or too human. I appreciate, especially, the wordless pages. Like the previous Meschenmoser that I read, Mr Squirrel & the Moon, it almost doesn't need text... but ...more
Manybooks
What can I say about Waiting for Winter except for wow, what a sweet and simply wonderful story, with equally enchanting illustrations (although I do wish that my local library also had this book in the original German, but that is really and truly wishful thinking, for while there actually are quite a number of German language books available at the Hamilton Public Library, they are, of course and rather unfortunately, generally geared more towards adult readers than towards children).

The humo
Ronyell
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ronyell by: The Picture-Book Club
I was reading this book for the Children’s Book Group and I will admit it was an extremely cute book. “Waiting for winter” is a children’s book by Sebastian Meschenmoser which is about how a squirrel, a hedgehog and a bear trying to wait for snow to fall for the winter. “Waiting for winter” is a truly irresistible book that you just cannot put down anytime soon!

When Squirrel heard Deer saying that winter is almost here and that it is going to snow, Squirrel wanted to know what snow is and so he
Betsy
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My reviewing process is very neat and orderly. As I read books I place them on my To Be Read shelf, where they are cataloged by those most likely to get a review to those least likely. Everything has its place. Some titles wait months before I get to them. But once in a great while, if I'm lucky, I run across a book so spectacular that I have to review it immediately. Waiting for Winter was that book. Now if I say the name Sebastian Meschenmoser to you, does it ring any bells? No? Well, the man ...more
Lisa Vegan
Sep 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody; gifts; winter reading; those who appreciate beautifully illustrated picture books
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Start off with the endearing fuzziness of the unusual and outstanding illustrations, add in some humor, and animals, and friendship, and wintry wonderfulness, and you get this magnificent picture book.

Appropriate for a wide age range of kids, and adults too, this is a special book. Told in very few words, with some pages taken up entirely by pictures, it has a lovely and humorous story.

One animal after another waits for winter snow, squirrel first being alerted by deer. So, squirrel and hedgehog
Kathryn
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book about a squirrel waiting for his first winter--especially the first sign of winter, a snowflake! But with his limited knowledge of what makes a snowflake, he and his woodland friends mistake other things for snowflakes. Will the REAL winter ever come!? (Of course, but half the the fun is in the "waiting")

The book is funny and warm and sweet and surprising and just an all around delight to read. I loved the details and the humor and the gentle message of friendship and
Abigail
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Winter Lovers / Readers Who Appreciate Beautiful Picture-Book Art
Originally published in German as Herr Eichhorn und der erste Schnee (literally, "Mr. Squirrel and the First Snow"), Sebastian Meschenmoser's delightful picture-book follows the story of a squirrel who has never seen snow, and who decides that this is the year he will correct the omission. His efforts to remain alert, while "waiting for winter," awaken a prickly hedgehog, who joins him in his vigil. When squirrel and hedgehog's sea shanties bring bleary-eyed bear to them, suddenly there are thre ...more
Kristin
The whimsical illustrations of the three lovable, scruffy characters tell the story of waiting for the snow. Infused with humor, animal expressions that are nearly human, and an unexpected twist. My nearly 6 year old and my 3 year old loved it.
Crystal Marcos
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Waiting for Winter is a book both my daughter and I enjoyed. As I mentioned before in a previous review, she had seen snow for the first time this year. So she loves anything snow related right now. It was a humorous read. We enjoyed the animals waiting to see the first snowfall. It was hilarious to see their different ideas of what snow might be. I wasn’t sure at first about the illustrations but as it went on I understood. I especially enjoyed the last illustration which in my book was part of ...more
The Library Lady
Jan 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Meschenmoser doesn't seem to have decided what sort of book he was writing
A beautiful Jim Arnoskyish sort of nature story? A funny story about a squirrel who hasn't seen snow?

Perhaps Meschenmoser doesn't know much about squirrels, but tree squirrels DO see snow. They don't hibernate--just ask the ones driving my cats crazy as they frolic in the snow behind my house. So Squirrel SHOULD know the difference between snow and an old sock, or a toothbrush.

The art is beautiful and skilled, but has mi
Rebecca
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: preschool and up
This might be my new favorite "winter's coming" book. The loose, sketchy illustrations are spot-on. Meschenmoser makes great use of wordless spreads and comics-like sequences. He draws the most expressive squirrel I've ever seen. What *would* snow look like if you were trying to recognize it, but had only heard the description "white and wet and cold and soft"?

Look for a fun visual joke on the final endpapers.
Raina
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ok, so it's not the most unique concept out there. But... SO CUTE!!! I love the images of the squirrel and the hedgehog falling asleep, the piles and piles of things they think are snow...

It's a simple story, told well. I totally adore the bear. And appreciate the nice large font. If the pictures weren't so delicate, it would be a shoe-in for storytime.
Dolly
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a hilarious tale, with sparse, yet highly expressive pencil drawing illustrations that really complement the story. The animals don't know what snow is, so they go out in search of it, with laugh out loud results. Our girls loved this book so much, we had to read it twice in a row.
Kathryn
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Oh what a delight. The authors sketches are wonderfully done with pencil and the main characters of the page are in slight color. I savored every page.
June
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: snow and winter requests
Recommended to June by: Betsy
Really cute story of a squirrel, hedgehog and bear who want to see snow for the first time. All they know about it is what deer told squirrel, "White and wet and cold and soft." All three go looking for some and come back with something else. Only bear's is soft, but somewhat smelly. However, snow really falls and they make a snow creature with their other finds.
Janey
Hilarious (e.g. Hedgehog and Squirrel are trying hard to stay awake to see the first snow, so they're all, "SEA SHANTIES!" and sing raucously [textlessly but expressively] for three pages, which then wakes up Bear, who looks exactly like me when I wake up in the morning -- squinty, cross, with serious bedhead). The kids I read this too were so into the animals' anticipation for snow that when the first real snowflake actually fell (after several false alarms), followed by a proper snowfall in th ...more
Green Bean
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Squirrel is watching for white, for wet, for cold and for soft. Squirrel is watching for snow and he won't hibernate without it! His scurried attempts to stay awake disrupt the slumber of Hedgehog,who wouldn't mind catching a snowflake or two himself, so the two croon sea shanties to pass the time til snowfall. Their ruckus gets Bear involved (the rumpliest, grumpiest, most whiskery bear I've seen of late), who worries that the first flake might already have fallen! The three scour the earth for ...more
Alyson
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I loved this book! I thought it would be another serious, but beautiful winter book like The Longest Night or Stranger in the Woods A Photographic Fantasy, but then the toothbrushes started flying! Confused? Read this and understand.
I also loved the rudely awoken bear. Every preschooler who has woken up their parents one too many times will recognize the bear.
Ellen Brandt
A recent addition to my "December Readalouds" shelf. My first reaction was somewhat tepid, but after reading it to several classes I became quite fond of it. The sepia toned illustrations are just right for the time of year when the tree branches are bare and the ground is brown and we wait for snow to lighten things up. Before reading the story, have the students think of words they would use to describe snow to someone who has never experienced it. Deer tells squirrel that snow is 'white and w ...more
Kristina
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We found this book at the library and had to take it home with us. But we couldn't wait till we got home to read it. So we plunked down (in the cookbook aisle no less) and started to read. It's a good thing we chose the cookbook aisle (no one but crazy me hangs out there) because Ben and I were laughing so hard and loud we probably would have been shushed in the children's section!! The illustrations are amazing and the story is great. We have read it 4 times since last Saturday and Ben laughs o ...more
Jenny
Dec 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Loved this winter book. Must admit that at first glance I didn't think I'd like the illustrations in this book...but as you read they are perfect for the story. And the animals (squirrel, hedgehog and bear) who are waiting for snow are so funny. I love seeing them try to stay awake...and especially what they find that they think might be snow and their imagination of what snow fall might be like. Just a delightful picture book!
Lesley Burnap
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lovely read aloud-especially when the 3 animals come up with 3 different versions of "snow". Would make a terrific fiction companion to 2 nonfiction books: Over and Under the Snow by Kate Messner, ill by Christopher Silas Neal, or Under the Snow by Melissa Stewart, ill. by Constance R. Bergum.
Kathy
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The first few pages of this book I wondered if this book been illustrated by a child. The scribbly looking pencil drawing didn't appeal to me at first but as the story went on I started to notice all the detail. A fun story!
Emily
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
When one begins to think about what items are cold, wet and white, it is easy to create a looooong list. So if squirrel, hedgehog and bear get a bit confused, they are not to blame! Cute, cute, cute book. I can't wait to read it to Kindergarten classes in a couple of weeks!
MissInformation
Dec 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Humorous tale of animals who are waiting for winter, but don't know exactly what they are waiting for. They wonder if a sock (out of place in the woods) is the first snowflake, etc. Fun.
Shonica
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story. I was distracted by the illustrations. Still can't decide if I like them or just think that they look messy.
Alex Ward
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book; funny with awesome illustrations. I do have to abridge it for toddler story time; it's a bit long for that age group. Worked great for a very muddy, un-snowy Cleveland winter.
April Thompson
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful book full of raw drawings and crazy cute characters. Having patience is hard work! Just ask Squirrel, Hedgehog and Bear.
Arapahoe Libraries
What a fun book to enjoy with your kids. (or on your own) A beautiful appreciation of nature wrapped up in some very humorous illustrations.
Elisabeth
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I know I had read this before, but I chose to read it in storytime this week and really appreciated just how great it is!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »