Start by marking “Silent Screams” as Want to Read:
Silent Screams

Silent Screams

(Lee Campbell Mystery #1)

A Deranged Killer's Twisted Urges

In the streets of New York City, the Slasher chooses his victim--and makes his move. As he wraps his fingers around the girl's pretty throat, his power increases. As he carves into her skin, his words become flesh. As he arranges her lifeless body in a loving tableau, his fantasies demand new, more violent sacrifices. . .

A Profiler's Cunnin
Published December 1st 2009 by Pinnacle (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Screams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Screams

Novel Destination
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is hard to imagine that this author has turned out plausible, albeit gentle, cozy mysteries as Carole Bugge. I expected that this book would also be gentle and lead me softly into the night. Not so! There is a violent and religiously preoccupied serial killer in NYC. A forensic profiler, Lee Campbell is called in to help find him before anyone else dies. As the story unfolds, we learn that the profiler is undergoing therapy after having a breakdown...caused by his sister disappearing, his Dad ...more
Caroline Stewart
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read murder mysteries / thrillers, but I found this enjoyable. The writing is certainly much better than Dan Brown's.
Nita
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books-read
Ambiguous about this book and the characters. 3 stars is probably a little harsh but 4 would have been too generous. I loved Edinburgh Twilight, written by the same author so this was a huge let-down. I guessed who the perpetrator was pretty early on and it made me wonder that an insightful (more than usual) criminal profiler was unable to figure it out. Of course, it is never easy when you are involved and in the middle of these things. Still....

I have book #2 in the series and since it wasn't
Guy
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Face paced thriller/mystery. Love the plot, story line and most of all a great lead character. Look forward to reading more Kim Stone.
Erth
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
Misty
Feb 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, omg-bad
POSSIBLE SPOILERS--OK, REAL SPOILERS!!

Where to begin.... I purchased this based on the initial reviews--all rather glowing. Yeah, I should have seen through them, but it was late, and I wanted something new to read. First, I have to say that the author just took on too much. There's the depression and breakdown suffered by the main character, Lee, before the book began. The reader is never allowed to forget that for even a second, as its existence is wound through every thread (and yet adds noth
Fictional Bookshelf
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In Silent Screams, we meet a troubled criminal profiler Lee Campbell. It’s through him and a deranged serial killer that we go on a terrifying journey. The plot is dark with captivating details that makes me feel like I’m actually in the book. C.E. Lawrence did an amazing job and kept me in suspense until the end.

This book is not for the weak. The bodies of the mutilated girls were well described to the point your skin crawls as if you felt the fictional character’s pain in the last moments of t
Jlsimon
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book had no original material. It was written as if it were intended to be a script for Criminal Minds or SVU but didn't quite make the cut. Our hero repeatedly gets beat up, which I find interesting that a profiler that works for the police (an interesting combination of the two television series) doesn't actually learn something in the way of self defense. Said hero's mentor is a disappointing bad guy, and everyone else in the story falls prey. It's pretty poorly constructed and I serious ...more
Jan
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Psychologist, Lee Campbell, is fighting demons of his own and working as a profiler for the NYPD. His first case after returning from a medical absence is an ugly one. A killer called The Slasher is strangling young girls and then slashing parts of a prayer into their nude bodies after placing them on the alters of churches in the city. Lee calls in help from other cops and profilers, as well as some not so traditional sources to hunt down the killer.

I really enjoyed this book. The crimes are gr
Joe Scholes
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Joe by: Barnes and Noble
This is the first book by C. E. Lawrence I've read. It was a fairly decent mystery, although the main character, Lee, was a bit self-absorbed throughout the story. The author's writing style slipped into overly melodramatic descriptions for various, rather plain, scenes. For example:

"He didn't want to suggest or even hint to Butts how deeply he had drunk from the well of despair."

"...listening to the wind whistling through the house's ancient eaves, he imagined he was hearing the howls of the da
Emily Elrod
Oct 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
For me it was a boring book with too many typos and errors. I thought all the characters were unlikeable and flat. Some of the profiling seemed thin and far-reaching, and sometimes it was so disjointed that I couldn't figure out how he got from point to point. They kept bringing up the missing sister, but nothing was resolved on that front--I'm not sure if this book is part of a series, and I won't read anything else by him to find out. Who the killer ended up being just didn't do it for me. The ...more
Jean Christofferson
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is the first time I've read a book by C.E. Lawrence, and I found the experience mediocre. The plot was far too predictable, but at least the writing is clear, concise and easy to follow. I always enjoy characters that are brooding and self-absorbed as is the main character in Silent Screams. It's just too bad the rest of the characters were so one dimensional. Perhaps the author will learn to develop her characters in her future books. That's likely the only way I read more C.E. Lawrence.
Mngpacker
I read Silent Screams figuratively curled up in a chair, turning pages as fast as I could. Lawrence's character development is masterful, creating well defined personalities that stand on their own merit, never muddled by their interactions. Twist and turns abound so much that no matter how convinced I was about the "whodunnit", I was inevitably wrong.
Angela
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was ok

It could have been good, but fell apart with a predictable and overly convenient ending. There were points where our hero couldn't believe he missed what was right in front of him. Yeah me either....because it wasn't believable. And he is an over the top macho guy who just checks himself out of the hospital when he has a brain infection, with absolutely no mention of it again. Really?
Lesli
Meh. The convenience fairy hit one too many times. Some of the scenes felt awkward and forced. Not to mention I'm not a huge fan of the perpetually, emotionally totured hero. Oh, and there was absolutely NO reason for this novel to be set just after 9/11. That feels slimey to me. There was no connection between the story and the attacks, the devastation, or the after effects.
Denise Redmond
Only three stars

I don't like to write reviews so let me just say that I thought this book to be a bit elementary. I had the plot figured out by the time I got to the fifth chapter.
Kim Lawrence
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I couldn't put the book down. The suspense built slowly, and gave you a surprise at the end. Couldn't help feeling sorry for the profiler and the killer, though. I plan to read more by C.E. Lawrence.
KymLaw
Randy
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a page turner! Whenever I'd find time to read it, I'd look at the click and be like damn an hour has gone by. Good, believable crime thriller about profilers. Did care for the plot twist ending, or I'd of given it the full 5 stars.
Janet
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Despite a number of unfinished threads and being interspersed with incongruous facts and/or scenes, I found Silent Screams to be a decent serial killer mystery that kept me engaged enough to read straight through.
Linda
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was written for teens I believe. The author went into great detail explaining the meanings of vicap and other terms as if we've never seen csi. This book wasn't too bad but it wasn't up to snuff. I could only give it three stars.
HJ Murray
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Did not enjoy as much as first as plot was a bit of a stretch but again liked character development of lead detective and want to read more to find out about her. Willing to try another to see if just didn't like this plot or not as interested in books as I initially thought.
VLynch
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Interesting storyline, and characters. I really enjoyed reading the book and getting to know the profiler in this book. It was a good thriller with a surprise ending. C. E. Lawrence, I will be looking for more of your books! Thanks so much!
Philip
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the story lines and characters in all her books, I could wax lyrical about them but just do yourself a favour and read all of her books, you will not be disappointed. She is one of my favourite authors.
Leslie
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Interesting book but read like a high school essay: If there was something to describe, it was described with minute attention to detail.

Watch a Criminal Minds episode and save the money. Or, if you can, read this as a library book.
T.M. Carper
Good portrayal of a profiler. Interesting mystery, though the twist at the end, while surprising was sadly formulaic. Will still give his next book a try. Fast-paced suspense.
Brenda
Nov 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great crime mystery about a serial killer after young Catholic girls. It tells of a criminal profiler with NYPD who is on the case, while also fighting his own demons shortly after 9/11.
Fred
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very fast read. Grabs you early and doesn't let you go.
Pam
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book I could not put it down
Michelle J
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good book w/ excellent ending.
Kori Campbell
I thought the book was good but apparently it did not get the greatest reviews! ;)

• The Cruelest Cut (Detective Jack Murphy #1)
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • Blood of the Wicked (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #1)
  • Huckleberry Finished (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery, #2)
  • Once Bitten
  • Get Some
  • You Can't Stop Me (You Can't Stop Me, #1)
  • Mania
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • The Sculptor (Sam Markham, #1)
  • The Judge Who Stole Christmas
  • The Boyfriend of the Month Club
  • Stress Fracture (Dub Walker, #1)
  • Chinatown Beat (A Detective Jack Yu Investigation #1)
  • The Matchmakers
  • Crush (Karen Vail #2)
  • The Pursuit of Pleasure (Dartmouth Brides, #1)
  • One Hit Wonder

C.E. Lawrence aka Carole Bugge' is the byline of a New York-based suspense writer, performer, composer and prize-winning playwright and poet whose previous books have been praised as "lively. . ." (Publishers Weekly); "constantly absorbing. . ." (starred Kirkus Review); and "superbly crafted prose" (Boston Herald). Silent Screams, Silent Victim, Silent Kills, and recently released Silent Slaughter

Lee Campbell Mystery (5 books)
  • Silent Victim