Start by marking “First Cause” as Want to Read:
First Cause

First Cause

A week after a battery of worldwide explosions, journalist Adam Grey wakes up in the hospital. He pieces together the events leading to his injury, involving a woman named Angela. Confronted with the truth behind the attacks, they--along with the world at large--are forced to reconsider conventional assumptions about human nature and possibility.
paperback re-release, third edition, 352 pages
Published July 1st 2012 (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about First Cause, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Cause

Start your review of First Cause
Paul
Feb 03, 2010 rated it liked it
To begin with, I received this book as a contest prize from Goodreads First Reads. I had no idea what it was about, nor did I look it up anywhere. I didn’t even look for any reviews (which I normally do before I read a book).

With an explosive beginning, this book kept my attention to the end. At first, I thought it would be a book about the United States being attacked by Islamic terrorists (since that is what everyone has on their minds). However, my beliefs were dispelled a short time into the
Casey Burke
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The second chapter of West's novel opens with a quotation: "It requires a very unusual mind to undertake an analysis of the obvious." The unusual mind, here, is the author's; the analysis of the obvious is what he undertakes in his debut novel, with extraordinary results.

This quote strikes at the heart of the premise of First Cause. The premise is, in a sense, obvious. Life as we know it is coming to an end; an alien species appears hellbent on our destruction; and our fate depends on the stren
Rodney
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
First Cause is a complex web of a story.

With his debut novel, Paul West has managed to find a way to subtly weave a tale about the human condition and human possibilities into a rich tapestry. As much a social commentary as it is a sucker punch to the gut, First Cause is the ideal gift for unsuspecting readers.

Let that not dissuade, however, for West has succeeded in his mission: entertain the reader first, then deliver with a left hook. Yes, it will undoubtedly hurt at first, but the pain wil
Nicole
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading First Cause for several reasons. First of all, I like the way that it was told in flash-back sequences in the beginning to keep it interesting but ends up in real time about half way through to keep it from getting too confusing. Also, it is a book that is fairly realistic and relate-able as far as happenings on Earth but the introduction of humans that have been removed from Earth and live with out many negatives of our society gives the story a nice twist and makes the ...more
Ali (Ali's Bookshelf )
First off I want to say that I really enjoyed this book, yes there were a few things that I didn't like, but overall I really did enjoy reading it. Paul West, did an amazing job taking a subject like this one and creating a great story out of it.

First Cause did take me a little bit to get into it, but once I did I couldn't put it down at all. I just had to finish it and stayed up pretty late doing so. This book is a very well planned and thought out story, filled with a great plot and character
D. Alexx Miller
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What do you get when you combine social/political commentary with a dash of science fiction? You get Paul West’s first novel First Cause.

The story is a compelling mix of the modern day world with a futuristic twist. The characters come across as believable. They show all the human flaws in stark relief. It wakes up the mind to the differences in our own modern day philosophies and politics without being preachy. I frequently found myself nodding in agreement with some of the commentary as if it
edifanob
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads, my-books
A got a digital copy from author Paul West.

A thoughtful debut novel with a SCIFI touch.

First Cause is a thoughtful, intelligent written debut novel with thriller elements and a scifi touch.

Stay away if you look for an straightforward action packed thriller with alien invasion.
Read my full review over at Edi's Book Lighthouse.
Erin L
Jul 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I received this book through Good Reads. After reading the back blurb, I was surprised by the actual plot of the book. It wasn't what I was expecting or what I'm used to reading.

It is well written however. The characters seemed well developed and the story flowed really well. I would definitely recommend it to someone I know enjoys this genre of books.
Jessica B
Feb 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, own
I won this book on first reads and the authore wrote me a special note and signed it for me! For that reason alone this book holds a special place in my heart.

I love the new cover... about human possibility indeed!

***I won this during the early days of my goodreads and don;t know why I haven't posted anything.***
Dana Humphrey
Jan 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Paul West is a brilliant and thoughtful writer and I enjoyed First Cause to the last page... still waiting for the sequel.
Jason Pettus
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, sci-fi, dark

It's extremely rare that I will bump up the score of a book here at CCLaP merely for its earnestness, the proverbial "A for effort" that I usually feel is just not deserved; but today is one of the few cases where I'm going to do exactly that, in that I found myself with a lot of respect for what author Pa
Sheila
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this through Goodreads First Reads. And now after finishing it, my first thought is that the description of this book needs a serious update and editing. This book is not at all what I was expecting. Why was there no mention of the terranauts and the terrestials in the description? Or the "human" aliens? Or the Luceri from outer space, which is actually a dome on a moon of the planet Jupiter? Nothing in the description even hints at the major details of this story.

Plus, thi
Tony
Apr 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
Paul West- First Cause (2009) 1.5 Stars

Explosions rock the globe in spring 2008. A week later threats are issued to governments around the world and they must prepare for what is to come.

The introduction to this book was really good, I was settling in for a good read, but sadly wound up disappointed. It switched from past to present and was kind of hard to follow at times. It also contained a lot of fluff/useless information that slowed things down. The plot was okay, but I felt like it was mis
Amy
Feb 01, 2010 rated it liked it
This is another book that I won on Goodreads. It was not what I was expecting from the title nor the description, yet and interesting read. It took a little bit to get into the story line and plot, yet was easy to pick up and keep reading. In some regards, it took a little too long to get into the action section of the story line, yet once there, the action did not build up as much as I would have liked. Would be intesting to see where the author takes a sequel.
Julie
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
It took me a little while to get into 'First Cause', but once I did, the plot was okay, though slightly far-fetched. The book did provoke thinking about generalities of the human race, cause and effect and had well-rounded, interesting characters. The author, Paul West, managed to intertwine three different groups of people very well in order to tell his story. All in all an interesting read.
Allison
Jan 27, 2012
Melanie Mciver
Jul 25, 2009
Paul West
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Troy Chertok
Jan 15, 2012
Gwen
added it
Jan 22, 2012
Paul West was born and raised in New York City; he currently resides in Harlem, where he has lived for much of his life. After graduating from NYU with a B.A. in History, he worked in the education and nonprofit world for many years before switching lanes and working in advertising and then fashion.

First Cause was conceived as a screenplay idea in the early 1990s, when West was still an undergradu