Start by marking “A Town Called Dehra” as Want to Read:
A Town Called Dehra

A Town Called Dehra

Memoirs of Ruskin Bond's early years in Dehradun, India
Published 2008 by Penguin Books India

To ask other readers questions about A Town Called Dehra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Town Called Dehra

Jeffrey Ogden Thomas
Jun 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in Dehradun or in Ruskin Bond
Recommended to Jeffrey by: Cambridge Bookstore in Mussoorie
Evokes life in Dehradun in the 1950s and 1960s, when it was a relatively small city. It also gives us glimpses of Ruskin Bond's upbringing in genteel poverty.

Note that a reviewer in the (national) Indian Express newspaper gave this book a rave review for it evocative historical descriptions.
Vijetha Suvarna
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian, people
Such a beautiful depiction of local life... that thrives on gossips, tea, where simple gestures were more than enough to convey feelings,... all in all... Life the simpler way!
A must read :)
Shalini
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reading Bond has always been an enthralling ride till the last page. The words come flowing to him like a beautiful river and it sweeps you completely with it. As I read the last word in this book, I feel as if I was with him through his adventures, long walks, tree climbs, river baths like his shadow. My yearning to visit all the paths, places, trees, rivers, cemeteries, gardens, bakeries, Bond mentions in his books, grows stronger with every book. There is magic in the mountains and he brings ...more
Kavitha
A beautiful collection of short stories. The stories are based on the author's childhood memories of growing up in the beautiful town of Dehradun. Dehradun is a beautiful valley at The Himalayan Foothills. I have never been to Dehradun, but its easily relatable. A small sleepy town blessed by Mother Nature. It's a lovely read. A brilliant, yet simple writing.
Vikas Singh
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Vintage Ruskin Bond at his best. The book is a nostalgic journey back to Dehradun where Ruskin spent his early childhood and later wrote some of his best stories before settling down in Mussoorie and Landour. A brilliant take on how development is fast turning the once peaceful and beautiful surroundings of Dehradun into a concrete jungle. A must read for all Ruskin Bond fans
Saujanya
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
An amazing book. That is the thing that first comes to my mind about this Ruskin Bond memoir.
The beautiful and simple depiction of daily life in a small town during the pre and the post independence times proves to be an intriguing read.
I am forced to smile whenever I read about Bansi the tonga-driver, Meena (his first crush) and the wild boys Somi and Daljit.
The most fascinating element is the time spent with Bond's grandparents and his encounters with the railways. I suppose I can totally re
Kumar Anshul
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was gifted to me by a close friend 5 years ago and finally I read it today and it also happens to be my first Ruskin Bond's

This is a collection of short stories, mostly non fiction, of the time spent by Bond in the town of Dehra (now known as Dehradun). The stories will take you back to the world of British Raj, Gramophone, Tonga rides, old magazines, green Foothills of Himalayas, life of Britishers in India and so on. There is a clear sense of nostalgia and a sense of longing for the
Dishari Sarkar
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gives a vivid description of Dehradun in all its beauty just during the independence and also after that. A rare glimpse of the life that young (and later the adult) Ruskin had after his return from England. His first brush with Tragedy (which involved losing his father), Romance (a girl named Meena), the friendships he forged for life, everything provides for an engaging read. The beautiful poems that he penned at the end of this memoir also makes for an interesting reading. This book almost ma ...more
El Mountain Child
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mr Bond has always been and always will be the best writer for me. The language he uses is simple and the stories he narrates take me to the hills, the Himalayas. His stories are so intriguing that I just can't put his books down and read them in one go.

This book has the stories from his childhood and boyhood, about his neighbors, about the tonga boy with paan stained teeth about his grandmother and her beautiful garden, and about the dehra of his times.
Sachin  Prabhu
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you are a fan of Mr.Bond this book is for you!! I loved it!! Mr.Bond introduces to the dehradun or dehra he knows,where he grew up.The book also has photographs of Bond ,family and friends. Being a fan of Mr.Bond this book is close to my heart.
Swarna Jana
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not every time you can feel yourself in someone else's experiences, this book had done this magical trick for me- I could actually feel this small settlement called Dehra, back in 1947/50. I almost lived in it- a wonderful experience.
Prachi Bahukhandi
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is Bond...Ruskin Bond!!!.
Another novella by the author which gives a glimpse of the old Dehra...
Ujjwal
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
really great book, the stories are very nostalgic and makes fall in love with Dehra. Just a wonderful collection of stories, some of which autobiographical. I am a big fan of Rusking Bond.
Aiswarya Menon
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beauty in simplicity!!! made me want to move to Dehra :) and must add that cover of the book is beautiful
Surabhi
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Beautiful as ever. Takes you to an era gone by and gives you a sweet nostalgia.
Clare
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ruskin Bond is a born story-teller. His evocative stories so beautifully capture his memories of childhood and growing up in Dehradun. I personally feel that there is so much to learn from this book and the stories contained in it. The vivid descriptions of overdevelopment and the transformation of a quiet garden town to a concrete city where people rush 'faceless' past each other are recurring themes in these stories. Themes of overpopulation and overdevelopment are becoming increasingly releva ...more
Sundarraj Kaushik
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Life in the hills as experienced by the author. The author picks up pieces from his journal and from his mind and puts together a wonder book full of innocence. The book goes to highlight the innocence of the author.

A must read for fans of Ruskin Bond.
Tina Das
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
He does it again.
For reasons known and unknown it all feels so surreal to me.

Every bit of the story has so much life in it,
There's so much to learn from these stories and so much to dwell upon.

I feel nostalgic reading it, even though I happen to live here.
Ranit Dey
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ruskin-bond
good
Monica Kandhari
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book calms you from within and takes you back to old lanes of your own childhood. It's just like laying your hands on gold <3
Abishek Gupta
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fabulous piece of work, enjoyed every chapter.
Gurleen Kaur
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is pure nostalgia, wrapped up in the sweet scent of spring, and a longing for something which one existed, but got lost along the way as life took over. The beautifully strung words tug at your heart and make you want to breathe the same Dehra the author so fondly remembers.

This book is summer when you've lived through months of grey wintry skies.
Loved it.
Manali G
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ruskin Bond
A delightful read. All the stories spun around Dehra bring the hill town to life. It is not just a book recording the beauty of the place but also a collection of stories which will enlighten you about the intricacies of the life in a hill town.
Kaushal Baid
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A town called Dehra’ is a collection of author’s memories of Dehradun, once a lively city, now a kind of busy and polluted sort of city. The book is divided over 4 parts and an Introduction by author. The 4 parts are as follows-:

1.A childhood in the shade of Lichi Trees – this part has 7 short memoirs or stories in which Ruskin shared his childhood memories. All the memories are pleasant read, but the best I think was his experience with a tonga driver Bansi.

2.A vagrant in the Doon valley – it c
Divij Sood
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this book takes you home to the doon valley no matter where you're from. the brilliant yet simple style of writing that delights readers in every Bond book reaches a new maturity in this collection of short stories. more than once it seemed to me that i was accompanying the author down the memory lane and the narrative arouses feelings and emotions that make you feel like you've experienced personally what the book says. there are several stories that you just know are deeply personal and kudos ...more
Upasana Malik
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anyone from Dehradun or have spent considerable time living here would love this book. The pleasantness of nature, simple characters, mundane stories and beautiful earthy language. It felt like I was walking through the lush roads of Dehra again. With every word I was shopping at the familiar local shop and admiring nature sitting along with Ruskin. This book is the reason I am taking this much required trip again.
Prashant Badiger
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A nostalgic masterpiece by Ruskin bond who scores high in memoirs and reminiscences of his hometown dehra. I saw dehra through writings of bond. It tugged my heart. more brilliant than night train at deoli. simply loved this memoir.
Manasi Hate
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As usual Mr.Ruskin Bond has this time also made his readers mesmerised by his book named "A Town Called Dehra".There is some Magic in his writing which makes a reader attracted towards his books,among them A Town Called Dehra is one of the special book.A must read book.
Sugandha
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A tale of a rustic town and its ingenuous people. Read my complete review here
Cheshta Dhawan
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Coming from Dehradun, I dont think any other author could describe the place better, old or new. Must read for dwellers of the valley.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Infinite Wisdom of Harriet Rose
  • The Village Bride of Beverly Hills
  • The Curry Secret
  • And Then One Day: A Memoir
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent. He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.

He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957. Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establi
“The past is always with us, for it feeds the present.” 54 likes