Start by marking “Blood Vice (Nightfall Syndicate #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood Vice (Nightfall Syndicate #1)

Blood Vice (Nightfall Syndicate #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Mafia hit man. Vampire. The criminal underworld just got a whole lot darker.

The Nightfall Syndicate, Book 1

Business has never been better for hit man Karl Vance. Boston is awash in mafia blood, and Vance has a certain fondness for blood. He's a master vampire--one of the most powerful of his kind. Having sworn to never again feed on the blood of innocents, Karl preys inste
Published (first published February 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Vice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Vice

Donna
Sep 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blood Vice by Keith Melton throws you head long into the dark, cruel world of the mafia crime syndicate filled with fascinating characters, starting on page one. I loved the mafia elements and dark, gritty atmosphere in the book. The romance between Karl and Maria unfolds at a slow pace, with the right amount of tension however is more of a subplot instead of a main attraction to the story. The story is told alternating between the main characters Karl Vance and Maria Ricardi's point of views, b ...more
Carolyn  Storer
Blood Vice opens with a bang. A fight scene that's action-packed and fast-paced and this is how it continues throughout the novel. However, even with this opening chapter, Blood Vice wasn't quite what I expected. With the quote on the back cover giving me a warning of "intense graphic mafia-related violence and explicit vampire sex" I was expecting something a bit more dark and gritty.

Although Blood Vice doesn't quite measure up to the quote, as it doesn't really contain much violence or graphic
Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)
Melton didn’t disappoint! I was stunned Vampires + Mobsters, a new combo that works incredibly well. From the beginning it’s all about the action, murders, mob wars and romance all wrapped up into one original story.

What I loved most was that Vampire’s once again are shown to be what they are, violent and primal. Vance is a hit-man, not a fuzzy lovable character though he does have a conscience and still believes in going as close as he can to Holy ground to repent. I only had one issue with the
Mandi Schreiner
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maria is the only full blooded child of Don Alberto Ricardi, a top mafia family in the Boston area. She is an accountant, but she is a dirty one (isn't that the best kind?) Her job is to keep her family's books clean and make them money, and she does an excellent job of it. After her brother had died, she wanted more responsibility but because she is female, her father will never "make her". Although she knows she has an important job, even the youngest of her father's men outrank her. Feeling s ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

If The Godfather or The Departed had vampires, they would probably feel a lot like Blood Vice.

"It was a beautiful night for murder, but wet work was wet work and had to be done regardless of conditions." –Blood Vice

This was the first book that I’ve read that came with a warning printed in bright red ink on the back cover:

Warning: Intense, graphic mafia-related violence, profanity, gangster slang, assassinations, fang punctures, explicit vamp
Nicole
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karl Vance is a mafia hit man, recruited by the Ricardi family to assist with taking over Boston by whacking off the Lucatti family one by one. He is ordered to work under Maria, the Ricardi family princess and money launderer. Little do Maria and her father know, but Karl is also a vampire, in Boston with the hopes of finding his nemesis, Alejandro Delgado.

As Karl and Maria work together to start taking out the Lucatti family one by one, clues begin to unravel to Maria about Karl’s life, and s
LolaLovesBooks
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As if being a vampire isn’t difficult enough, try being a vampire hit man for hire. Want to take it up a notch or two? Throw the mob boss’ feisty daughter into the mix! That’s exactly what Keith Melton has done in Blood Vice.

A gripping story about Karl Vance, vampire hit man for hire, and how he has entangled himself with the mafia while also attempting to rid the world of his longtime nemesis, Delgado. In the midst of a mafia war including several cities, Maria, the boss’ daughter, wants in on
Julia
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blood Vice by Keith Melton was dark, bloody and a breath of fresh air. I have read quite a few vampire books in the past two years- not a single one of those books combined the fun of the paranormal world with the brooding world of mafia families.This is one book that would make a spectacular movie.

Karl is our forlorn hero, a vampire... a freelance hit man vampire. It gets better. He works for the mafia but only follows himself and God. He maintains his humanity by feeding only on those that are
Book Utopia
Oct 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: het, paranormal
An absolutely fantastic idea of a vampire working as a hitman for the mob. The writing lives up to the promise, with incisive imagery and relentless action. The leads are interesting takes on normal protagonists in these types of books, especially the fact that the female lead is unapologetic in her ambition. A twist halfway through sends the two characters into an angsty spiral I found a tad tedious, but as soon as it rebounds from that, it's back to being the dark, rich story it started out as ...more
Anna
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karl is Mafia hitman by trade and a vampire. Life for Karl was on the simple side; until he met Maria. Then his past came back to haunt him and it got way more complicated. I'm not really a fan of stories involving the mob, but vampires are a whole other deal. Having said that, I ended up really loving this story. Karl has a bit of mystery to him, and dangerous. Calm, cool and sexy. The first couple chapters were a bit slow, but after that it moved along nicely. It's one of the better Urban Fant ...more
It's Me - Yvette
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mafia crime bosses? Check
Mafia made men? Check
Mafia soldiers? Check
Mafia families fighting against each other for territory and $$$? Check
A bad ass vampire assassin? Check
Other supernatural characters? Check
Bad ass humans hunting supernatural characters? Check

This has it all! Loved it!
Tiffany Danner
Dec 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a lot of books over the last year or so…. and I can honestly say up until now, I have read not a single book that combines mobsters and vampires. Somehow Keith Melton successfully tells the tale of bad ass vampires, violent mafia wars, with a dash of romance on the side.

Maria is the daughter of powerful crime boss. She is desperately trying to prove her worth in the family business to her father and his lieutenants, an impossible task in a male dominated world like the mafia. She has
Jenn
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There was a 50% off sale on Kobo recently so I thought I would give a few new authors a try. One of them was Keith Melton and his mafia vampire hitman. Generally, I wasn’t impressed.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have to confess that I was a little skeptical when I read the blurb so perhaps I was predisposed not to enjoy BLOOD VICE. But I was intrigued enough to purchase it and I did hope it would be more exciting than the cover copy suggested, since I thought the premise was rather interes
Blood Rose Books
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. It is well written and it will have you hooked from the first line, "It was a beautiful night for murder, but wet work was wet work and had to be done regardless of conditions". If that does not bring you in I don`t know what will.

The book is centered on Karl Vance, Religious, Hit man, Vampire (one of these things is not like the other), who is hired by the Mob to "take out" certain individuals from a rival family. Enter Maria Ricardi, Mafia Princess who wants respect with
Jessica Hansen
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karl Vance, to me, was a great vampire character. To instill such a true faith in god to a creature, that by definition, is damned, perked my interest in him for sure. I mean, he prays outside a church for the souls of his victims after each killing, that's pretty faithful. Vance seems like your run-of-the-mill vampire until you catch a glimpse deeper into who he is and the struggles he's had. Determined to find his rival Delgado & destroy him, once and for all, the last thing he needs is a ...more
Drmgrl99
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Nick McGreggor
What the hell is up with this book? I must’ve passed it over a half-dozen times while skimming recommendations on Amazon because of that cover. The cover screams paranormal pretty-boy vampire romance to me…so maybe because having a guy undressing on the front is a bad idea if your story is dark and gritty and about mafia connected vampires.

It boggles the mind.

The book itself is (as I said) dark, gritty, hardboiled. Violence. Action. Vampires fighting on the top of a truck racing through Boston
Misty
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like a lot of readers, I enjoy a good vamp story once in awhile. Rarely, though, does one grab me like Blood Vice. The dark intensity of Karl Vance set the tone of for the book from the opening scene, and his checkered past and present job as a Mafia hitman filled the story with action.
Karl's counterpart, the cunning Maria Ricardi, kept surprising me. If she hadn't come under the control of the vampire trying to do Vance in, I believe she would have had every guy in the story under her thumb in
Elaine Carass
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Straight away your thrown in to the action within the first couple of pages and it just keeps flowing from there, the story never seems to slow down and keeps you griped from start to finish.
I loved the combination of vampire and mafia and thought it came together well. There weren't too many characters to keep up with and the story line it's self was believable.

The character of Karl Vance was likable and strong but when Maria came on to the scene he turned a little wimpy it w
Morphuess
Blood Vice wasn't bad. It goes into pretty good detail about mob politics. This was a pretty refreshing change with your standard vampire urban fiction. Sadly, I found the male vampire lead to be a bit too emotionless and stale.

Also, the strongest part about the book, the mob politics and issues between families, dies out about halfway through and it turns into the standard vampire conflict, with all mob issues taking a back seat.

Kind of a mix between an urban fantasy and a romance, this book is
Kaitlin Maitland
This is a fantastic book for anyone who loves a fast paced story. Vampires, mafia, and the streets of Boston, what could be better? Keith Melton has a knack for weaving a story with heroes you can really root for, and villains you want to smack with a shovel. The romantic element is subtle, and I'd definitely call this a solid Urban Fantasy suspense title. A must read for anyone who claims to enjoy vampire fiction, and a great suspense for those who say they don't.
Sarah (blissbubbley)
Karl Vance is a blood hungry vampire but he's sworn not to feed on innocent people and instead is after Boston's crimeworld. Unknown to Maria who hires Vance to do some dirty work for her family she then soon uncovers his vampire life. Vance's main enemy Delgado then gets Maria as his slave, when she too becomes a vampire!

More of this review
Mrs. Badass
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5
It had the Mafia, Boston and Vampires in it... What's not to like! It was wicked awesome!
I hope there is a sequel.

It was a little difficult for me to relate to Maria, as I have never had aims to be a mafioso made man (erm. woman) myself, but she had redeeming qualities and I did not envy what she had to go through when Delgado had a hold of her.

I thought that Karl Vance was a complex and interesting character, and Melton's writing style was pretty right one for a Bostonite.
Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~
I loved this book it was very good. I don't usually read Urban Fantasy novels but this one was very well done. It was action packed but it still had some tender romantic moments that I love.

Keith Melton is a very good author, the imagery in this novel was very well done. I can't wait to read the second novel in this series!
Robyn
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I really enjoyed this book, I couldn't put it down. The setting is very engaging and I loved the main character, Karl Vance. Great action sequences too. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
Jon Kerr
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark, action-packed. Slows down a bit in the middle, but the ending makes up for it.
Angela
Mar 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire lovers, action
Can't wait to read more from Mr.Melton.
ms.beau
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
This might have been 4 stars, but Maria was annoying. She was more a prop than a developed MC -- her purpose seemed to be to provide motivation for the action of others.
Danijel
rated it did not like it
Mar 25, 2011
Fats
rated it did not like it
Sep 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Bite My Fire (Biting Love, #1)
  • That Which Bites (Julia Poe Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood Legacy: The Story of Ryan
  • Blood Blade (Skinners, #1)
  • The Strength of the Pack (Northern Shifters, #1)
  • Selene
  • Legacy (The Niteclif Evolutions, #1)
  • Enemy Lover (L.O.S.T #1)
  • Red (Dead World, #1)
  • Tangled Tinsel
  • Bound by Blood (The Garner Witch #1)
  • Sanctuary Lost (Red Rock Pass, #2)
  • Blood and Bullets (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #1)
  • Called by Blood (The Faustin Bros., #1)
  • Mr. Hartley (Alternate Places, #1)
  • Crimson Moon (Crimson Trilogy, #1)
  • Skin
  • The Bitter Seed of Magic (Spellcrackers.com, # 3)
Keith Melton is a fantasy author originally from Arizona. He still misses the spicy food.

He is working on his urban fantasy novel Spanner Jack. Chapters can be read on his website.
More about Keith Melton...

Nightfall Syndicate (2 books)
  • Ghost Soldiers