Start by marking “Anatomy of the State” as Want to Read:
Anatomy of the State

Anatomy of the State

"Em A anatomia do estado, Murray Rothbard explica o que o estado é e o que ele não é. Ele mostra como o estado nada mais é do que uma instituição que viola tudo aquilo que consideramos honesto e moral, sempre agindo sob uma falsa aura de bondade e preocupação para com o cidadão. Ele demonstra como o estado devasta a liberdade, destrói a civilização e ameaça a vida, a propr ...more
Published January 8th 2009 by Ludwig von Mises Institute (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Anatomy of the State, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anatomy of the State

Mitch
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Strange things happen when I read Rothbard.

More than any other author, his writing voice seems to chat with me and gently "bring up" topics in a sort of conversation. His accessibility as a writer leads me to kid myself into thinking that many "aha" moments that happen while reading his work have actually happened in my brain in the past.

Many times, certain paragraphs, thoughts or entire chapters will keep dinging in my head, saying, "This can be connected to that one essay you read at such and
Libertylover501
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Read this now! Download the ebook for free at http://www.mises.org/document/1011/An...
It's more of an essay than a book but once your done, you'll never look at the "State" the same again.
Douglass Gaking
Yesterday, I reviewed Frederick Bastiat's The Law, which is very similar to this text in its message, but Murray Rothbard's writing is, in my opinion, far superior to Bastiat's and many others in this genre. I mean no disrespect to those writers' excellent contributions, but when you read Rothbard after reading other libertarian and Austrian school texts, I think you will see what I mean. Rothbard is skilled at making concise points that are backed by intelligent thought and research. There are ...more
Clinton
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Anatomy of the State probes into the structure and legitimacy of government where it exposes the true predatory nature of government. Preserving the government apparatus is paramount to the continuation of plunder in a colluded alliance of the rulers, operators and intellectuals.
Defining what the state is or not is critically important. The State is not us or the people, it doesn’t represent the majority, and when it does, it is a tyranny of the majority. The State is a organization whose only a
Victoria
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The good, old and raw truth.
Ryan Lackey
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wrongthink
This is a very concise statement of the world's foremost anarcho-capitalist, Murray Rothbard's, view of the state. It's pretty dense and not particularly suited to the audiobook format, although the argument doesn't rely on weird redefinitions or anything else -- more, that the impact of relatively simple statements takes some reflection to consider. Probably better as a print book, although the narration was technically fine.

Rothbard's beliefs are certainly extreme, but even if you don't agree
Ana Claudia
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nunca tinha pensado no estado da forma que é mostrado nesse livro. Ainda tenho algumas duvidas sobre o estado, mas menos do que antes. Interesante o ponto de vista de Rothbard.
H.Anjum
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the first books I read of this sort so can't really say much since I have nothing to compare it to. It's a long essay which makes for a short book. I expected it to be boring but it was surprisingly refreshing and eye opening.
Pedro Jorge
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
While it may be a little too extreme for most readers, this small book is an interesting essay on the organics and nature of the State, what is is, what it is not, and how it survives. Rothbard claims that all States begin with a bunch of thugs gaining control over a territory and then trying to find a way to make their subjects feed them without causing a revolution. He adds many quotations from previous authors and points to some historical facts that question our current idea that 'we are all ...more
Terrence Daugherty
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've never read a book and felt like I was cheering on a sporting event until I read this one. I guess because it's rare to read a book these days where someone actually understands and cogently describes the nature and history of the State without idolizing and lauding its paternal — or rather, authoritarian — attributes. This short work is something I wish my family and friends would take the time to read, especially those with such forthright opinions, but something tells me you won't. There' ...more
James Last
Jun 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
A review of Anatomy of the State by Murray Rothbard

Available at: https://mises.org/library/anatomy-state
Ok I've read "the anatomy of the state". It's provocative and fails to address the good things a state does. I don't think the name is correct, it should be "a cynic's anatomy of the state". When it does get to the good things like a police force, the view is combative:

"For the State, to preserve its own monopoly of predation, did indeed see to it that private and unsystematic crime was kept t
Shane Hawk
This is a succinct essay only expanding to about sixty pages. It can be read in 30-40 minutes easily. It’s offered for free on mises.org.

The synopsis is already a letter-perfect summary of what Rothbard’s essay is on. All I can add is I quite enjoyed it because he explains the (USA) government’s predation over time and calls back a few different and interesting historical parallels to further his arguments. From other sources, I’ve seen this to be an introduction to the “anarcho-capitalist” view
Adam Calvert
Dec 19, 2018 added it
Shelves: economics
There is much good in such a short book. Rothbard does an excellent job of deconstructing the State and its unlawful coercive power to "bully" the citizens.

However, there didn't seem to be a solution provided. So in that regard (and its clear lack of a foundation in the Lord for its criticisms), I'm finding it hard to know how to rate it.
Gavin
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really clear text on what the state can or cannot do. Rothbard delves into the aspects of coercion and plundering off the surplus of others.

The biggest takeaway is that no government EVER has managed to keep the state in check.

I'll be listening to this again soon for taking better notes. Quoting John C. Calhoun always gets my attention as well.
Filipe Rubini-Castano
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A didactic and direct introduction to the perspective of the State as a coercive entity. This book should be part of high school curricula around the world, to be taught alongside Marx, Smith, and all other major thinkers for comparison and discussion. Its brevity and simplicity are perfect for this purpose.
Dan
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
There is certainly a place for essays and shorter works, but this is not one of Rothbard's better contributions.

Essentially a theory of the State as predator. While a useful theory, this pamphlet doesn't do it justice. I found that it presents minimal evidence, hefty speculation, and overall the idea is presented in spurts. Obviously in a short work an idea can't be thoroughly developed, but I find this essay unreasonably jarring and ill-conceived.
Al Lock
May 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have a number of problems with this book.
First of all, Rothbard defines the state in a manner that is inaccurate - but rather in a manner that allows him to make his arguments. He says "in particular, it is the only organization in society that obtains its revenue not by voluntary contribution or payment for services rendered but by coercion". Now, that is true of many states, but the existence, anywhere in history, of any state that is not true of makes the statement false - not part of the
Mike
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
The essay was very good, and the source material was well thought out. Rothbard does a great job highlighting the extremes of the state. I will enjoy going back to this for points of reference in the future.
Daniel Mendoza
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Mr. Rothbard’s argument discusses some interesting ethical questions, but its argument is ultimately undercut by his rampant speculation regarding key suppositions referred to in this text (supposition that are presented as given fact and not supported by any information he provides here). Given the brief nature of this book, I would have happily accepted - at a minimum - references to other texts that ground these fundamental suppositions in theory and illuminate their real-world viability thro ...more
Ryan Phung
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: politics
The author presented a passionate argument against governments. The biggest problem I have with this argument is that it's entirely one-sided, without even considering the benefits of government. A non-trivial portion of the arguments are also not supported by facts and there are many leaps to conclusion.

Nevertheless, the book gives me interesting insights about how "parasitic" governments may work.
Richard E Rochelle
Short but sweet

I love these ideas, so it is a bit like preaching to the choir, but I enjoyed Rothbard's analysis of state power nonetheless. His references to other works gives me a few more items to add to the reading list. Thanks to LvMI for making this one available digitally!
Tony
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first foray into heavier Libertarian reading. It was a very good, succinct (possibly too succinct) read. A great overview of general Libertarian thought.
Geir
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A short and very to-the-point critic of the State. A must read, for everyone! Why everyone? Because we are all ruled by the State, but really shouldn't have to be.
Daniel Buenrostro
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No matter if you agree or not with Rothbard, this short book is definitely a must read to every social science student
Aisha
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book/essay needs an expansion and bit more details.
Felipe
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um pequeno, mas poderoso livro. Altamente recomendado!
João Gross
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Mr. Rothbard in the first two chapters solely defines the State as an evil entity that only takes and gives nothing in return. This may seem the case in many tyrannical regimes and even in failed democracies that represent only the rich (plutocracy in reality). But these arguments cannot be given as universal truths.

In the book the are some positive points about the history of the origin of the State, on how royal families got to power by divine right and rich families with political power can m
Shhhhh Ahhhhh
Sep 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Let me lead with this. Don't read this nonsense unless you want to be annoyed and have nothing substantive added to your life and understanding of the world.

What is this trend I'm noticing of horrible ideas coming in pamphlet sized books? Is it because they know their target audiences have the combined attention span of a gnat? Or is it because the authors themselves are incapable of a more thorough intellectual labor? If the contents of this book (and the attendant ratings that I've seen of it)
Viraj Sawant
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a long essay which makes for a 60 pages long small book.
Many of the points put forward by Rothbard are familiar to someone who has some knowledge of the libertarian school of thought (obviously as Rothbard's writings have heavily influenced development of modern day libertarianism). However many known arguments are put forward more convincingly than they might have come across to you in current day media. As far as I remember, one argument that was completely new to me was that of Judic
K.A. Ashcomb
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a quick read, and I think the premise of the essay should be something everyone should know the answer to. And the questions is "what is a state" and, let's throw an extra question in, what is its function. Easy questions, yes?

The essay answers those questions, but... once again the infamous but... Murray Rothbard is against the state. He argues that state destroys our freedom and threatens our lives and does all this under "good intentions." Despite that, despite your views what and how
  • Rollback: Repealing Big Government Before the Coming Fiscal Collapse
  • Crisis and Leviathan: Critical Episodes in the Growth of American Government
  • A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship
  • Defending the Undefendable
  • Latter-day Liberty: A Gospel Approach to Government and Politics
  • Theodore and Woodrow: How Two American Presidents Destroyed Constitutional Freedom
  • Democracy: The God That Failed
  • The Problem of Political Authority: An Examination of the Right to Coerce and the Duty to Obey
Murray Newton Rothbard was an influential American historian, natural law theorist and economist of the Austrian School who helped define modern libertarianism. Rothbard took the Austrian School's emphasis on spontaneous order and condemnation of central planning to an individualist anarchist conclusion, which he termed "anarcho-capitalism".

“A robber who justified his theft by saying that he really helped his victims, by his spending giving a boost to retail trade, would find few converts; but when this theory is clothed in Keynesian equations and impressive references to the “multiplier effect,” it unfortunately carries more conviction.” 21 likes
“We may test the hypothesis that the State is largely interested in protecting itself rather than its subjects by asking: which category of crimes does the State pursue and punish most intensely—those against private citizens or those against itself?

The gravest crimes in the State’s lexicon are almost invariably not invasions of private person or property, but dangers to its own contentment, for example, treason, desertion of a soldier to the enemy, failure to register for the draft, subversion and subversive conspiracy, assassination of rulers and such economic crimes against the State as counterfeiting its money or evasion of its income tax.

Or compare the degree of zeal devoted to pursuing the man who assaults a policeman, with the attention that the State pays to the assault of an ordinary citizen. Yet, curiously, the State’s openly assigned priority to its own defense against the public strikes few people as inconsistent with its presumed raison d’etre.”
16 likes