Start by marking “Surviving the Cancer System: An Empowering Guide to Taking Control of Your Care” as Want to Read:
Surviving the Cancer System: An Empowering Guide to Taking Control of Your Care

Surviving the Cancer System: An Empowering Guide to Taking Control of Your Care

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  4 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
According to the National Cancer Institute, approximately 8.4 million Americans alive today have suffered from or currently suffer from cancer. Newly diagnosed patients and their loved ones are in for a long battle--not only against the disease but against a healthcare system that can be impersonal and frighteningly complicated to navigate. How can patients ensure they get ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by AMACOM/American Management Association (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Surviving the Cancer System, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surviving the Cancer System

Missy
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
I reviewed this book for work and found it to offer very practical advice to anyone who may receive a cancer dx. It encourages cancer patients to take control over their situation - everything from what one eats, when to start treatment (or not), which doctors to see, how to ask for help, how to know when it's time to seek help at a larger institution vs. a local doc, and very importantly, how to use one's insurance to the fullest. It basically offers sensible guidelines on how to be a good pati ...more
Beli_grrl
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you or a loved one has cancer I recommend starting your research and reading on it with this book immediately after your diagnosis. There is a lot of good, solid info and advice here. I already knew most of what is in this book from other reading here and there and from our doctors. I wish I had read this one first.
Barb Keltner
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
I heard this author speak at Watermark Books in Wichita -- he's an oncologist in Hutchinson and very down-to-earth. This book provides lots of practical info covering many aspects of cancer that patients, family, and caregivers will find useful.
Nancy
Aug 27, 2009 added it
I wish I would have had this book when my mother battled cancer. This is a must read for anyone who is diagnosed with cancer,care giver or family member.
Pat