Start by marking “Death Jr., Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Death Jr., Vol. 1

Death Jr., Vol. 1

(Death Jr. #1)

When a school field trip to the local museum coincides with coming-of-age angst and an overly inquisitive friend (a cute goth girl named Pandora), Junior releases something terrible on the world... and its up to him to fix it. Featuring an awesome cast of back-up characters including Stigmartha whose hands bleed when she gets nervous; Smith & Weston, two twins ...more
Published November 22nd 2005 by Image Comics (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Death Jr., Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Jr., Vol. 1

Start your review of Death Jr., Vol. 1
Orrin Grey
May 03, 2010 rated it liked it
I picked this up on the cheap at a Free Comic Book Day sale, mostly because it had a cover by Mike Mignola and interiors by Ted Naifeh. It was pretty cute and occasionally funny, but not up Naifeh's solo stuff. I really like the Beetlejuice-esque demons.
Matt
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fun read! I went into this completely blind, I had never heard of it before and it was a hell of a good time. The characters are enjoyable, the humor is witty, and the artwork is fantastic. It looks like a kid's type of book but it's much more than that. I throughly enjoyed it from beginning to end.
Amanda
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I must say, making Death the hero in a story is quite compelling and a definite change in direction from most. I did enjoy this. I liked the multitude of themes it dealt with including friendship, growing up, doing the right thing, life and death, and family.
Jenn 제니 ジェ二 詹妮 Noto
Very cute! Some parts had me laughing and others made me not want to put it down!
I’m having a hard time figuring out who my favorite character is, though (haha).
While much of this story was a bit kiddish for me, I very much enjoyed the adult references to classic literature and the such.
Alison
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This adorable comic book features the tale of Death Jr. - the spawn of the Grim Reaper - and his struggles to fit in at school. Lots of thoroughly amusing puns about death and wacky characters' names can be found on these pages. You will 'squee' in delight if you share my dark brand of humor.
Kelly K
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This started off as squee adorbs then it turned to deadly adorbs.
My middle school goth heart is happy.
I love.
Much amaze.
More want.
*grabby hands*
Jacob
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this series growing up. Tim Burton meets Invader Zim meets existential crises overcome with wit.
John
Jul 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Wanting to read through something out of the ordinary, the title caught my eye so I decided to give the comic a whirl. I found myself amused and drawn into the story.

The story begins with Death Jr., called DJ, going off to his first day at school. He lives in an average suburban home reminiscent of Leave It to Beaver. In fact, the Grim Reaper and Mrs. Reaper definitely have Ward and June-like personalities. At school, DJ learns that he is different from other kids, though he cannot see it. He
Brandy
Apr 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, library, 2009, comics
I'm a sucker for books about Death--as a character, at least. New Adventures of Death, Death Takes a Holiday--Death makes a great character in comics. In this one, we're mostly following Death's son and his friends (Pandora, Stigmartha, a pair of conjoined twins who share a brain, and something that I think was maybe a fetus in a jar?), who are trying to fit in while juggling the weirdness that comes with being friends with Death's kid. Who himself is trying to prove that he can do his dad's ...more
Cooper Mccay
I really enjoyed reading this graphic novel. Death JR. is about the child of the Grim Reaper who seems to kill everything that he touches. Death J.R is reffered to as Dj in the novel, the other main characters are Pandora, Seep, The Conjoined Twins and Stigmartha reffered to as Marty. These characters are Dj's friends that he meets by being grouped with for being different. The story continues with Dj and his friends trying to free his father Death from a box that is being kept by his evil ...more
Donna
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Death Jr. thinks he's ready to pick up a scythe but makes mistakes that his friends help him correct.

This is a cute, humorous graphic novel. Death doesn't understand why the kids at school think he's odd. He makes friends with the other misfits including a girl named Pandora who opens a box she shouldn't, letting out a spirit that has a grudge against Death Sr. There are several funny parts, including Death Jr. saying hello in the morning to his cat, Six, who quickly becomes Seven after the cat
Holly Smith
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What can I add to reviews that have already been said? This is an amazing graphic novel. It was charming, witty, utterly well designed and engaging. DJ is a grim in training who comes across earnest and heartfelt (if a little dim) and the secondary characters make you root for them.

This is marketed to a young audience but that shouldn't put the adult reader off. There are themes woven expertly into the story and it has just enough pop to keep your interest. I particularly like the relationships
Terry
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
What kid hasn't felt like his father doesn't appreciate him, that he can do more than his father gives him credit for? Normally it leads to a few therapy sessions later in life, but it rarely leads to chaos on a worldwide and supernatural level! But that's exactly what happens when Death Jr - yup, DEATH is his daddy - makes a few blunders in this wacky graphic novel. I'd recommend this books to anyone who likes creepy characters, dastardly deeds, and some really weird looking illustrations. ...more
Kristen
Dec 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so this concept is a little strange. I mean how nice can the grim reaper really be as a dad? As we find out in this book, it's a different kind of nice. It's a weird concept to have a comic book about the son of the Grim Reaper and there's another character named Pandora who can't seem to keep her hands off of locked boxes, chests, and other box-like things. It was cute and clever and still made you feel good at the end of the story.
Jody
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was recommended to me a while ago and it's a cute story about finding your place in the world. DJ is off to school for the first time and doesn't realize he's just a little different. His dad is Death and he has trouble keeping his pets alive and lets face it, he's really just a bunch of bones. But he wants to have friends and he wants his dad to pay more attention to him. This leads to trouble and his new group of misfit friends band together to help him rescue dear old dad.
Emily
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I read Ted Naifeh's Couurtney Crumrin series a while ago and really loved it, but didn't really get into other things I tried by him. I must not have looked hard enough, because Death Jr. is a gem. Making a young grim reaper into a sweet little kid is probably not easy to do convincingly, but he and Gary Whitta have done it here. The humor is sharp, the story and characters fun. I'll be recommending this at both my jobs every chance I get.
Anastasia
Jul 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'm strangely fond of this graphic novel: there's something perfectly endearing about Death Jr and the author's simple decision not to try to explain what a young Pandora and other odd children are doing in the same middle school with him. I particularly love the idea of a scythe with metaphorical training wheels. An early image shows Death with a "World's Greatest Dad" coffee mug: that Pratchettesque moment alone makes it worth spending some time with these cartoony folk.
Jacquie Fortin
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I picked this up knowing nothing and not sure what to expect and found myself laughing my way through the whole thing (loudly). This was adorable and hilarious and I loved all the characters. I liked how there were so many subtle jokes placed in the little details in the pannels, and really enjoyed the colorful art style. Definitely want to read more of this.
Heidi The Reader
Contains some non-graphic cat deaths (my kid can't handle that kind of thing, graphic or not). Otherwise, nothing too spooky in this one. It's a coming of age story with a different sort of hero and heroic pals. Appropriate for readers 12+.

If you liked Death, Jr., you should try the Gunnerkrigg Court series by Thomas Siddell or Nine Tenths: The Slider by Alex Anstey.
Erika
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Fun and quirky if a bit oddly paced, I liked the art, especially how differently Death was drawn than the rest of the world.
The story was interesting, it was clearly more an intro into the world than a strong, stand on it's own story and for that it worked quite well.
A good start and a series I am looking forward to reading more of.
John
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun little book. I've never read anything by Gary Whitta before, but Ted Naifeh can be wonderful at times (Polly & the Pirates). Death Jr (DJ) and Pandora (Pan) are the best designed and most entertaining characters in the book, though Death the Elder is hilarious as well.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Kind of reminds me a bit of Invader Zim meets I Luv Halloween or something what with the art style and the tone I guess? Anyway, this was interesting good but interesting and of course weird. Good read.
Meghan
Jun 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: indie comics fans
Cute graphic novel about the Grimm Reaper's son and his adventures. Mostly really liked it because the art is by one of my favorite artists, Ted Naifeh.
Naomi Ruth
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, ya
I love this kind of representation of death.
A little bit odd, as expected.
I liked it.
Julz Mejia
I think this book is awesome! :D
Teleatha
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good. In English we are doing Sci-fi and fantasy unit and we read this. I loved it, he is so adorable!
Robert
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was actually cute. Way better than the video game it was based off of.
Patricia
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Delightful :) I love what a good father Death is.
Leia3771
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved the representation of Death! A father with a 50's-styled wife and struggling to let his kid grow up! Can't wait for the next one!
Rainey
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Death Jr. is pure fun. It reminds me of Billy and Mandy, and I would recommend this for younger readers.

• Lenore: Wedgies
  • Beautiful Beasts (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #2)
  • The Woods, Vol. 1: The Arrow
  • Oddly Normal, Book 1
  • Superman: Action Comics, Volume 1: Superman and the Men of Steel
  • DC vs. Marvel Comics
  • JLA, Vol. 11: The Obsidian Age, Vol. 1
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book One (Fables: The Deluxe Edition, #1)
  • Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book
  • The Book of Bunny Suicides
  • GloomCookie, Volume 2 (GloomCookie, #2)
Gary Whitta is an award-winning screenwriter best known for The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He also co-wrote the Will Smith sci-fi movie After Earth, and was writer and story consultant on Telltale Games’ The Walking Dead. He is co-writer of the upcoming Star Wars movie Rogue One as well as the animated series Star Wars Rebels.

Death Jr. (2 books)
  • Death Jr., Vol. 2
“Oh. Sorry. I just kinda have a thing for cabinets. And chests. And caskets, trunks, crates, cartons... all kinds of boxes, I guess.” 1 likes
“My hero! Thanks... everything I open turns into a big mess. I'm Pandora.” 0 likes