Start by marking “For Just One Day” as Want to Read:
For Just One Day

For Just One Day

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  246 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
For just one day, I'd like to be a busy, buzzing bumble...BEE!

What child hasn't pretended to be a monkey, a bear, or a bumblebee? After imagining the fun of being a variety of animals from around the world, a sweet ending—and an attached mirror—remind little ones that the very best thing they can be is exactly who they are.
Published August 19th 2009 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about For Just One Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Just One Day

Victoria
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edre-4870
What: I had purchased this book for a class originally to construct a lesson-plan from it as well as to use in my read-aloud group. After reading it I really enjoyed the underlying message of, "I'm proud to be me, and me is the person that I really want to be." I think it sends a positive message to children that they are all unique and should feel comfortable in their own skins.

So What: I feel like children K - 3 would enjoy this book. I read it for my class at the after-school program I work a
Melissa
Lots of great details in the illustrations; a good rhyme that scans & each 3rd line builds on the concept well ("For just one day I'd like to shake / my tail and be a rattlesnake / oh what a slithering sound is make / if I could be a rattlesnake"). I also like the context for each animal...the rain-filled gutters for the crocodile, the spiky, tangled hair for the porcupine. Mirror in the back ("that is me!")
Kelly
I little one imagines being a different animal for one day. The book is cute enough, but a little hard to follow page to page.
Steph
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, so cute and I absolutely love the illustrations!
Kari
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book to get the imagination going!
Annie Andonie
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a.) Summary: This book starts with a little boy that dreams to be, just for one day, someone else to live a different way. He describes how, for just one day, he would like to be a buzzing bee, or a crocodile, or a chimpanzee, or a butterfly to fly down low and high. He would also like to be as a rattlesnake so he could shake his tail, or a porcupine, a hopping bunny, or a growing grizzly bear, or a whale to sail across the sea. At the end he describes how only for one day he would like to live ...more
Amber Bush
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: libs-642
Leuck, L. For Just One Day.

Picture Book Log

Tumblebook

This tumblebook follows a person going through what it would be like to be other animals. The text is structured in longer sentences which may be more difficult to read, but it also highlights the sections that are read to break it up. I enjoyed listening and looking at the illustrations. They really did go along with the text and made it an approachable and realistic view on pretend play.

I think this would be a great way to introduce kids to
Ashley Vance
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A little girl wants to be all of these other things for just one day. She pretends to be different animals, other people, and doing different jobs. She wonders what it would be like to be somebody else, but only for one day, because she still wants to be herself at the end of the day.

I would recommend this book for third graders because it teaches you that it is okay to dream, but that you should always want to be yourself.

This book could be implemented when learning about predicting and rhyming
Dawn
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was interesting to read this with my class. They didn't initially catch on to the rhyming patterns in the book. They would guess the animals appropriately, but not necessarily the rhyming name (i.e. rabbit instead of bunny). It would be a good exercise, when starting poetry, to read this and stop as you go to guess what animal might be the next one.

Great character message too: Be happy to be yourself. You're perfect the way you are.
Relyn
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at the library
Shelves: lawsonland
Oh, I really loved this book. First, the illustrations are delightful and engaging and make me think of my own 70s childhood books. Marc Boutavant did a remarkable job with this book. I am not sure just how I am going to use this book next year in Lawsonland, but I know I will.

Lesson Connections
~ Writing - This is a great example of using a repeating pattern to tell a story.
Serena
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book-the illustrations are SO fun to look at. I paused for a long time on each page to soak the illustrations in-they are done in a really cool pop-art style. Also, the message of this book is really great-it encourages students to have imagination, to dream, and to enjoy life. This would be an awesome read-aloud book, even in middle school!
Liza Gilbert
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
EXCELLENT retro art by Marc Boutavant! Nice story about a boy who dreams of all the kinds of animals he could be. The pagination and text allow for kids to guess what animal the boy would like to be next based on rhyming lines. Great for dreamers and older storytimers.
Nanci Booher
What if for just one day you could be whatever creature you wanted? Would you be a chimpanzee? A butterfly? A whale? With illustrations that remind me of the 60's, this fun story is sure to be a hit at storytime!
Kim
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rhyming text before the page turns prompt readers to fill in animal names. Fun retro style illustrations.
Sep 14, 2012 rated it liked it
This would be a good choice for an animal storytime. A boy imagines what it's be like to be different animals for "just one day".
Susan
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun, finish the rhyme book. Great illustrations (I'm especially a fan of the whale page) plus it ends with a mirror - always a hit!
Krista
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A 5 for the illustrations, a 4 for the story. Excellent read-aloud book.
Beth
Sep 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It can be so fun to pretend to be something else. Love the illustrations and the easy rhyme. This would work well for toddler and preschool storytime.
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I loved the rhyming in this book.
Amy
Sep 27, 2012 marked it as picture-books-read
Love the illustrations. See my complete review here: http://sunlitpages.blogspot.com/2012/...
Tracey
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely illustrations. Nice text for a read aloud, but I felt it was lacking a little bit in the descriptions.
Kelly
Sep 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Nice page turn rhymes. A good pick for storytime.
I thought the retro art was pretty groovy.
Jessalyn King
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Cute. Learning to dream and want to be yourself at the same time.
Angie
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great read aloud. The kids will be able to guess the rhymes as you read along. The illustrations are excellent.
Tanya
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I've seen others with the same story that I like better.
Andrea Wilkinson
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Great picture book for early elementary ages. Fun read-aloud for kids to guess the animal that rhymes with the words and comes on the next page...
Carolyn
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved the colorful, retro artwork, and the rhythm of the words. The audience has to guess what the animal is before turning the page, which makes for a fun read-aloud.
Heather
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
fabulous, would be a great storytime book...
Allison
Dec 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I've heard this is a big hit at storytimes.
  • Big, Bigger, Biggest!
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • I Can Do It Too!
  • All Kinds of Families!
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • Oh No, George!
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • The Easter Bunny's Assistant
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • This Little Chick
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • It's a Tiger!