Start by marking “Firespell (Dark Elite, #1)” as Want to Read:
Firespell (Dark Elite, #1)

Firespell (The Dark Elite #1)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  10,809 Ratings  ·  713 Reviews
When Lily Parker's guardians decided to send her away to a fancy boarding school in Chicago, Lily was shocked. So was St. Sophia's.

As the new girl at the elite St. Sophia's boarding school, Lily is surrounded by an ultra-rich bratpack. She's pretty sure her spoiled, petty, fashion-obsessed classmates are the most monstrous things she'll have to face, and surviving them and
Mass Market Paperback, 246 pages
Published January 5th 2010 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Firespell, please sign up.

new_user
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I was on the verge with this one, finger on the trigger, because nothing happened for fully a half of Firespell, but Chloe Neill did it again. She's one of the few authors whose settings are as engaging as her characters. She's intimately familiar with Chicago, and by the end of the book we know the Loop as well as Lily and her friends. She spares the time to introduce us to St. Sophia's boarding school with loving attention to class schedules and uniform, so that we're sitting alongside Lily. I ...more
Flannery
This book takes about two seconds to read. It's miniature size is indicative of several things: (1) The plot is too hurried; (2) The love story is underdeveloped; (3) We don't learn enough about the characters; and (4) We have to wait for a lot of storylines to run their course through the series.

In my two seconds (FINE, two hours) of reading this book, I did come to enjoy Lily and Scout's friendship. The aforementioned lacking love relationship was a big bummer for me, though. Jason sounds pret
elena
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5-3 stars.
It was fun and everything but not that great. I would have liked it a lot better, had I read it five or six years ago.
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Lily Parker's parents are on sabbatical teaching philosophy in Germany, and as such, they've decided to send her to a super elite school for rich girls called St. Sophia's, in Chicago. There, she is the target of beautiful, rich girl bullies (aren't they all?), and makes a friend in the quirky, unconventional (sounds familiar?) Scout. Scout seems to be hiding some secrets of her own, and Lily soon finds out that she and her family are not what they seem.

This is possibly one of the most confusing
Alethea A
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans who need a post-Buffy fix
A couple things saved this from being a 3:

1) Scout!
2) ok, Lily. I kind of feel like Scout is the main character, and Lily the sidekick.
3) the Brat Pack... bratty as they are, they're not completely horrible.

What leans it in the direction of 3 stars:

1) Mary-Sue potential. I know, I know! I tried not to say it. But it's looming like an albatross in there. Only sequels will tell.

Full review pending.
A.E.
Mar 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Firespell started too slow for me. I thought it spent too much time on Lily getting to school and getting settled. Then we have to meet the typical brat pack of mean girls. Then we go through what the food is like and, blah, blah, blah. That stuff doesn't interest me. I'm an action girl so get on with it!

Let me get this out there. My main complaint about Firespell is that the action started too late in the book. From the synopsis I thought we would be getting to the fighting and supernatural bei
Shera (Book Whispers)
Firespell was definitely an addiction. It reminded me of Kelley Armstrong's YA series. Not that they're a like, just both very addicting.

Firespell takes a slower pace then most UF books, letting you enjoy the world Neill has created. The beginning of the books really helps to establish Lily so the reader can connect with her. Getting a feel for her family life, and how even though they're dumping her for their sabbatical in Germany Lily understands and loves them. But it doesn't mean she can't
Catherine Ford
Aug 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
At least I made it through this Chloe Neill book. I gave up halfway through the first book, Some Girls Bite, her more famous series, Chicagoland Vampires.

This book is definitely for a younger audience, and compared to many books out there that are meant for teenagers, this one actually has the correct content. Meaning no swaring, no sex and the idea that best friends are more important than other worldly things.

I am actually rating this book higher than it deserves considering all its faults.
Kim
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No this book isn't original, no this book probably isn't the best written thing ever, but what do I know..

What I do know is that I enjoyed reading it. Lily & Scout are my kind of girls. Witty, snarky and a lot of fun.
Misty
In Firespell, Chloe Neill expands on her take of underworld, paranormal Chicago (see the Chicagoland Vampires series). This time, Neill takes a foray into YA with the first book of her Dark Elite series, set in a Chicago boarding school where all is not as it seems.

Of course.

Lily Parker is ready to start her junior year of high school in Sagamore, New York, when her parents inform her that they are going on a research sabbatical in Germany for two years -- and sending her to an elite boarding sc
Marguerite (Lady RH) ❀
I really liked the first few books of the Chicagoland Vampires series, and I wanted to read young-adult-supernatural-boarding-school books (and still want), so I tried this one.

And yes, I just tried. Because I DNF 50% (about).

And I don't even know what to review about. It was a very confusing book and I felt the characters were really not developped at all. Halfway through the book I finally dropped it because I still didn't know anything about the MC. Lily right ? I can't tell you about the sto
Miss Bookiverse
Dec 09, 2009 marked it as didnt-finish
I stopped after 50 pages. I feel like I've gotten too old for these kind of books. The characters are all stereotypes (punky/gothicy best friend, blonde mean girl and her posse) and the wannabe-snarky voice of the heroine annoys me. Also the whole premise seems so unbelievable (parents leaving their 16 year old daughter alone in the States because they'd rather spent time doing studies abroad. And they don't even let her stay in her usual environment, she has to change states to go to a special ...more
Vinaya
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've had Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires series in my TBR pile for a while now. After reading Firespell, I'm thinking I just might give it a try. After inauspiciously beginning the new year with The Candidates, it was a relief to know that I could and did move on to better things.

There's nothing spectacularly new in Firespell, the first in the Dark Elite series. And may I add, by the way, how hard it's getting to find a good stand-alone book these days? And the ones I do find, end up sounding
Kelly
Dec 08, 2010 rated it liked it
There are YA books that translate well to an adult audience, and there are those that are best appreciated by their actual target audience. I suspect Firespell is one of the latter. I found it an average read, but I think I’d have really liked it at the age of thirteen or so.

Case in point: Here is how magic works in the Dark Elite series. If someone has magical talent, that talent manifests at puberty. From puberty to the age of twenty-five, the magic is a really cool enhancement. But after the
Kim
Feb 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormalfiction, ya
Firespell is the first book in a new series, the Dark Elite, by Chloe Neill. It's a fun read, albeit one which suffers a bit from a common problem with the first book in series---it spends a lot of time setting up the premise (an intriguing one, to be fair) and not as much actually moving the plot forward. Which means the second and subsequent volumes may hold my interest a bit more.

Lily Parker lives in upstate New York with her parents, professors of philosophy. When the senior Parkers take a s
Donna
Jan 11, 2010 rated it liked it

Rating: 3.5 stars

Chloe Neill has fast become one of my favorite writers so when I saw she had a new book coming out, I just knew I had to pick it up. Plus, I thought Firespell was such an enjoyable read that I'd share it with my 13 year old stepdaughter, Jessica. And I figured it would be a neat idea to have a review here by a person in who is in the targeted audience for this book. Below my ramblings is Jessica's thoughts on Firespell.

I liked that this story is based in the bustling, windy city

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Lily's parents just broke the news that they're taking a two-year sabbatical in Munich, Germany - and that she's not invited. Immediately, Lily has visions of staying with Ashley while going through the SATs, college application process, and the prom. Her daydream fades as her mom breaks the news about a boarding school in Chicago.

The first day at St. Sophia's raises questions for Lily. She's so unsure why she's enrolled. Most girls have been comin
Cherry Mischievous
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-ve-read, own
The world building is a slow build-up to a great architecture. The end result was beautiful and believable. I would give it a 4.5 out of 5. The story-telling quality was good and I would give it a 3.5 out of 5. The character development was superb and as a reader, I can connect with Lily and Scout.

Here is the kicker:

Towards the end, the good guys team and the bad guys team had a drama talk which read like a badly scripted movie. The book is trying to make me believe that teenagers (raging hormon
papalbina
There are parts in this book that are ok, the main character and her friend are a bit interesting and some mysteries kept me reading, but mostly this book is ridiculous.

The main character arrives at this boarding school in Chicago while her parents take a 2-year trip to Germany to do research. She's mopping around about her bad luck for two seconds until she mets her new BFF, a girl who appears to have secrets. Well, the relationship between these two is nice and funny, but a bit far-fetched. W
Lisa
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much, I bought it a while ago and only recently decided to read it, and I'm glad because I just love Lily and Scout, their relationship is so great and funny. I never wanted the book to end. Lily's sarcasm is perfect and I cannot help but laugh. I also think Jason is just beautiful. I don't want to write more incase I confuse this book with the second one because I have already read it and it was just as good at this one in my opinion. I cannot wait to read the third one.
Tammie
It was a fun read. In some ways it is sort of a cross between Evernight and The Mortal Instruments. I'll definitely read the next book in the series (I'm assuming there will be another one).
Dark Faerie Tales
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Quick & Dirty: A solid start to a new series with magical world-building, a touch of wicked humor, and lurking danger.

Opening Sentence: They were gathered around a conference table in a high-rise, eight men and women, no one under the age of sixty-five, all of them wealthy beyond measure.

The Review:

Lily Parker is just your average middle class teenager. Her life in upstate New York is drastically changed when her parents decide to go on a two year sabbatical to conduct research at a German U
OpenBookSociety.com
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
For author Chloe Neill’s debut into the world of Young Adult fiction, I must say she has knocked it out of the ballpark! Firespell is one of the BEST Young Adult novels out there (in my humble opinion)! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!

The characters are developed well. The pacing of the story is perfect, beginning at medium speed then throwing you forward, into one hell of an adventure! The descriptions are just enough to help you capture the story without feeling overloaded or as if the author is t
Lori (Pure Imagination)
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it

Lily is expecting her junior year of high school to be normal. How can it be anything but normal in her small town of Sagamore New York. Lily's parents have other ideas. When they get the opportunity of a lifetime--to do research in Germany for two years--they send Lily to boarding school. Yes, you heard right, boarding school. Snotty rich girls, plaid skirts, headmistresses and all. How can it get any worse? Lily is about to find out.

In a genre laden with boarding school dramas how can one poss
xtina
Jun 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
I expected more from Chloe Neill

A huge fan of Chicagoland Vampires, I was thrilled when I heard Chloe Neill had started a new series for young adults. I promptly ordered Firespell on my Kindle and sat down for what I was sure would be a delightful few hours distraction from the agony of waiting for Richelle Mead's Spirit Bound (which was FANTASTIC, by the way).

Several pages in, my thrill promptly died. The plot in this thing was painfully predictable. The characters lacked the pizazz of the Chic
Holli
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
This one has an odd rating system. On one hand it was really really bad but on the other hand it was pretty fun.

This is a very slow paced story about two girls who become bff's at a boarding school where "something" supernatural happens outside those walls. We don't find out what that something is until about halfway thru the book which is pretty anti-climatic. Dare I say A touch boring even? Nothing much happens at all until the 80% mark.

Yet...I liked it. I lovr stories about boarding schools.
Linda
FIRESPELL, a paranormal mystery/urban fantasy, is the first in a new series of books by Chloe Neill. I haven't read anything by this author before but I am impressed. It has a great storyline, likeable characters and well-written relationships. Nothing pretentious, it is just a smooth easy read. I believe it is aimed at teens and young adults but older people should enjoy it also.

Lily Parker, sixteen and from upper NY is shipped off to an all-girls private school in Chicago while her parents are
Sandra
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, pnr-uf, chloe-neill, ya
What a pleasant surprise is this YA book. Sure we had high school kids, school, homework, a slight love interest schoolgirl-wise, but we had intelligent writing, focus, kick-ass goodies and baddies and no-one presuming instant knowledge of magic power. No teenage angst to drive the story.

Our heroine Lily is sent to St Sophias School when her parents go on sabbatical to Germany, she becomes BFF with Scout and learns about Magic.

There is more going on though than the baddies, called the Reapers,
♥Booknerdswift♥
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books
It was so good! The friendship between Scout and Lily is amazing. I love that romance isn't what's on the main character's mind and isn't the main thing.
Praiz Sophyronja
I can't believe I read the whole thing... I have the patience of a freaking saint.
Horror? 2 10 Aug 28, 2013 10:38AM
Who would you choose out of Scout & Lily? 2 14 May 13, 2013 11:09AM
What's the Name o...: Girl moves to mysterious boarding school in NY? SOLVED [s] 5 132 Dec 06, 2012 06:49PM
Paranormal Reads: Book Of The Month 1 3 Sep 05, 2011 01:58AM
  • The Mark (The Mark, #1)
  • Banished (Banished, #1)
  • Under My Skin (Skinned, #1)
  • Whisper
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
  • Other (Other, #1)
  • Dressed to Slay (Darkheart & Crosse Trilogy #1)
  • The Iron Witch (The Iron Witch, #1)
  • The Candidates (Delcroix Academy, #1)
  • Deception (Haunting Emma, #1)
  • A Touch Mortal (Sider #1)
  • Almost to Die For (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #1)
  • Bitter Frost (Frost, #1)
  • Sleepless
  • Bleeding Violet
  • Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)
  • 13 to Life (13 to Life, #1)
  • Bad Blood (Blood Coven Vampire, #4)
Chloe Neill is the New York Times bestselling author of the Chicagoland Vampires Novels, the Devil's Isle Novels, and a YA series, the Dark Elite. Chloe was born and raised in the South, but now makes her home in the Midwest. When she's not writing, she bakes, works, and scours the Internet for good recipes and great graphic design. Chloe also maintains her sanity by spending time with her boys--h ...more
More about Chloe Neill

The Dark Elite (3 books)
  • Hexbound (Dark Elite, #2)
  • Charmfall (Dark Elite, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Oh please," Scout said."Don't take that tone with me. You know you'd love to have a minion. Someone at your beck and call. Someone to do your bidding. How many times have you said to yourself," Self, I need a unicorn to run errands and such?” 43 likes
“Scout released me, then wiped tears from beneath her eyes. Catharsis, I guessed. “I’ve said it
before and I’ll say it again—you seriously rock, Parker.”
"Tell me again, Green,” I said as we switched on flashlights and headed through the tunnel.
“Seriously, you rock.”